October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless do you think if I handed over the deeds to my apartment they would just send me pretty much all the T-shirts on that site?
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @zeesparrow meh, why be wise when you can be awesome (within reason and with a sensible, doable plan for it of course ;-) )
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    If anyone (especially if you run at night and/or with your pup at night) needs anything from Noxgear they are having an Ambassador sale and you can get 42% off with coupon code RunBella. (www.noxgear.com)

It is good only today (Tuesday) and you enter it in the cart before you go to checkout (I missed it the first time and had to go back :) )

Thank you, @shanaber !!! I just ordered the "Lighthound" LED dog harness! Last week I was just thinking that I needed to get a better lighting solution for Kody. I had been hacking a few lights around his collar but I decided they were not bright enough and did not have 360 visibility. I had found an LED collar I was planning on buying for $20, but the one from Noxgear looks much better, and at $40 after the coupon, it's affordable. Thank you!!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If anyone (especially if you run at night and/or with your pup at night) needs anything from Noxgear they are having an Ambassador sale and you can get 42% off with coupon code RunBella. (www.noxgear.com)

It is good only today (Tuesday) and you enter it in the cart before you go to checkout (I missed it the first time and had to go back :) )

My coworker got something like that (or that?) as a gift from her daughter a while ago. Hers didn't work. Do you know if these are reliable? I'll go buy one for me and each of my dogs and then tell my husband it's his birthday gift to me this year. haha
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @garygse, @kgirlhart, @amymoreorless - I have been thinking about you and any others in Texas with all the rain and flooding there!

For September we had 13.56 inches, last 14 days we've had 9. And yes, its supposed to rain again today.

Just to compare, last year we had 1.28 inches in September and 2.13 in October.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @7lenny - You're welcome! I ordered one for my daughter's pup too since they are often out at night.
    zeesparrow wrote: »

My coworker got something like that (or that?) as a gift from her daughter a while ago. Hers didn't work. Do you know if these are reliable? I'll go buy one for me and each of my dogs and then tell my husband it's his birthday gift to me this year. haha
    @zeesparrow - I have never actually used their products but I am in a running with dogs group on FB (that is where I got the code) and they all swear by them. Also they are a pretty small company and it seems the customer support is excellent so if you had a problem you would just need to contact them.

Wow @Elise4270 - seems like you guys in and around Texas are getting our El Nino rain! I keep hoping it will get up this way this year!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all, 10k run done. Did a @PastorVincent, scheduled for 9.5k but 10 is so much more satisfying. I live how thats an abjective now, what others do we have. @avidkeo seems to be running in the rain and I recon an @elise4270 should be kicking *kitten* in a race despite pain...

Thanks for the info about tapers. I knew my Knowles lacking so that's a relief. @eleanorhawkins you will kick butt!

Question regarding nutrition. I've been doing a calorie deficit for the last (forever) few months to get back on track, and I'm within a kg of my lowest weight (almost 23kg/48lb lost since Jan 2017). But I'm thinking with the amount of ks I'm now doing, and my focus for the next 4 weeks is HM prep, I've been doing a bit of reading. The idea around deficit seems to be mixed, some saying a small deficit is ok, some saying eat maintenance. What are ya'alls thoughts (is that the right usage lol). My ultimate aim for my weight is to lose another 4kg (around 8lb) but my not stressed about it, I'd rather run a good HM
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @Avidkeo heck woman, if you can't eat all the food a month out from an HM when can you? Ok, maybe not ALL the food, but I would say you're putting your body through enough 'punishment' as it is and it deserves adequate fuel and nourishment to repair itself and recover. There will be plenty of time to go back into a deficit afterwards. I have a guilty secret.... when I look at my training plan and see those looooong runs next month, my brain automatically translates those distances into portions of pizza.

So what would the correct term be if you ran a badly measured or longer than expected race in the rain in pain?
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Elise So sorry about your injury. You deserve a break. Hugs.

@7lenny7 I love Tillamook. We used to go there almost every summer to stay at a cabin at Cape Lookout. We skipped this summer and regretted it. And couldn’t get a cabin for our holiday time next summer. You have to book nine months in advance. It is beautiful, with some great trails. Enjoy! And be sure to go the dairy for ice cream!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Who ever posted the Gone For a Run website should be... I don't know what the right punishment would be. (@amymoreorless I am thinking of you 😁)
    It is cruel and unusual for someone unable to run and being tempted by shopping therapy, just saying... I now have 2 full outfits picked out (who doesn't need a Turkey outfit with Thanksgiving turkey trot coming up and can't pass up a one eyed monster outfit that is so cute!). Oh and of course I also need a 'post' run shirt! This is getting really expensive...
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @hesn92 Lol totally. C230mins. I am the same.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Question regarding nutrition. I've been doing a calorie deficit for the last (forever) few months to get back on track, and I'm within a kg of my lowest weight (almost 23kg/48lb lost since Jan 2017). But I'm thinking with the amount of ks I'm now doing, and my focus for the next 4 weeks is HM prep, I've been doing a bit of reading. The idea around deficit seems to be mixed, some saying a small deficit is ok, some saying eat maintenance. What are ya'alls thoughts (is that the right usage lol). My ultimate aim for my weight is to lose another 4kg (around 8lb) but my not stressed about it, I'd rather run a good HM

@Avidkeo it depends on which goal is more important. For me, I want to go into a big race feeling my best and that means eating at maintenance for 2 or 3 week prior to the race. If it's a race that's not a big deal to me I'll stay at a deficit until a few days before the race.

After the race, either way, stay at maintenance for several days while you recover. Then go back to a deficit.

Great job getting nearly back to your lowest! After a summer of gluttony I'm trying to get back on track myself and unfortunately have 13 pounds to go to reach my lowest, and 16 to go for my goal, but I'm rededicating myself to the effort as of yesterday.

Yeah, as always the answer "it depends" is always the right one. :lol:

There are those that say being lighter on race day means you will run faster. There is this whole concept of "ideal race weight" which, if you are dieting, I am going to guess you are over. Given that some would tell you to eat at a loss so that you can have a good weight at the start. *shrugs*, in this case, do whatever feels right to you. :)