October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Congrats to @jele30, @mbaker566, @BruinsGal_91, and @ContraryMaryMary for some awesome racing!

@katharmonic Congrats on your first marathon! You say you never want to do that again...now I'm not a gambling man, but I have a wager I would like to make, lol. :mrgreen:

@Orphia Great write-up for Dennis!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I had a great day that involved too much pizza, cheesecake, and cupcakes!

Today's run was an easy-paced recovery run with some tempo sections to try and compensate for all the pizza, cheesecake, and cupcakes. :smile:

01 - 15.63
    02 - 14.43
    03 - 10.21
    04 - 12.19
    05 - 22.04
    08 - 15.63
    09 - 12.64
    10 - 12.19
    11 - 13.53
    12 - 26.40
    13 - 6.97
    16 - 5.91
    17 - 15.60
    18 - 12.67
    19 - 22.22
    22 - 15.57
    23 - 14.33
    24 - 12.57
    25 - 14.16
    26 - 16.13
    29 - 16.01

Total: 307.03 / 250 miles

There is no such thing as too much pizza.

Quoted for truth.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I thought I'd just check my schedule for next year to see when I have events... Seems I've entered more than a few already! Two half marathons already entered, one definitely to enter (as soon as entries open) and another on the radar... Something happened to my 'two halfs a year' thing. And then there's the Xterra Series that I don't have 2019 dates for yet.
    ]

Upcoming events
    17 November, Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km
    8 December, West Coaster trail relay (10km leg)
    Jan 20, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Feb 24, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Mar 3, Rotorua Off Road Half Marathon (This just looks amazing!)
    Mar 24, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Apr 21, Auckland Run Series 10k
    May 11, St Clair Vineyard Half Marathon (Girls' trip - we may be more focused on the wine!)
    May 12, Auckland Run Series 10k (Date clash - will still be in Marlborough so won't run this one)
    Jun 2, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Jun 23, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Jul 14, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Aug 4, Auckland Run Series Half ($100 for 5 10k's and a half, what a bargain!)
    Aug 24, Mount Maunganui Half Marathon (Entry transferred from 2018 DNS)
    Oct 20, Auckland Half Marathon (It's my local!)
    Nov 16, kerikeri half

@ContraryMaryMary Added one in for you... Lol
    ETA ohhh that St Claire vineyard one is supposed to be awesome!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I'm keen...

STOP WITH THE ENABLING!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I'm keen...

STOP WITH THE ENABLING!!!

LOL. Should I add in the Hokianga Half Marathon in late march/April... Its only a rhr drive away. That's my local, and I'm actually hoping to run it this year
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo guess what I just did!!!!

Yep, 7km in the rain, I'm officially a badass (a slow badass but a badass nonetheless :smiley: )

As it got light and I could see how wet and windy it was outside, I looked at the treadmill and the treadmill looked stonily back at me. I looked at the ironing board and pile of ironing underneath it. I promised my husband faithfully (with my fingers crossed behind my back just in case) that of course I wouldn't be so insane as to go out and run in that nasty weather when I have a perfectly good treadmill we spent a small fortune on that I could use instead. I waited for him to go to work. I waved my daughter off to school. I waved my middle finger at the treadmill, grabbed my jacket and headed out the door.

t was windy and raining lightly the whole time, with a few minutes of heavier rain a couple of times. I learned a lot today! Main notes:

* I don't mind the feel of it raining on my face and head. I HATE the feeling of a small, plasticky jacket hood moving about on my head while I run. That lasted all of 10 seconds.
    * Spanish drivers are total azzholes and they get worse when it rains. Avoid underpasses where water gathers next to the pavements at all costs unless you want to shower en-route.
    * The pavements (and painted bike path) in this town become slippery deathtraps when wet. Avoid at all costs unless you want to become famous for inventing a new form of triathlon involving running, figure skating and hobbling. Also unless you're willing to risk breaking a leg.
    * Running along the almost deserted seafront in the wind and rain watching the waves roll and singing out loud is very liberating.
    * Sandwich bag works to keep mobile phone dry, but I should probably check it for holes before setting off.
    * Rain jacket pockets with no zips do not mean I don't need to wear my belt for keys and ID. Keys can fly out of inner pocket even when jacket is zipped up, resulting in digging around in the mud looking for keys.
    * Rain jacket is great when it's raining properly, but a little sauna like mid-run when it's not raining very hard. Jacket zip is hard to handle with cold wet fingers, resulting in a need to use teeth.
    * Even if it's raining, I still need water. In fact, I need more water than usual, probably due to above-mentioned sauna effect.
    * It took 5km for the damp to reach my toes. Having wet toes bothered me briefly at km 6, but then passed proving once I get used to the feeling it's not too bad. In fact I was surprised how wet my socks were when I took them off.

There were probably more, but I have coffee now and can't remember them :-)
    Well on track to reach stretch goal with tomorrow's scheduled 5 kilometres. Yay!

Sounds like you were a royal mess when you got back :smiley:

One note, you want to make sure you are wearing good socks in the rain. Old socks, even if they were once top of the line, will be much more likely to cause blisters in the rain.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    might get out tonight, might clean. seems i picked up a little cold
    this was not my month. looking forward to next month.
    @PastorVincent i like the look of that race.