October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 how about this one...

(originally posted in the FB group by @_nikkiwolf_ )
    For our ultra runners: No pre-defined time or distance. Just a tiny loop of 4.17 miles that you have 1 hour to complete. But you have to do it every hour, until everyone else has given up. Sounds fun, right?
    https://www.rei.com/blog/run/the-most-punishing-running-race-youve-never-heard-of
    (ETA - fixed broken formatting)

Ah yes, Big's Backyard Ultra. I don't even have to click on the link, I can tell what it is from the description. As I recall this year it lasted 3 days. The winner had something like 280 miles. Second place was a Minnesota native who's destroying ultra records like crazy, Courtney Duwalter.

There's a race based on this concept in Minnesota called Last Man Standing. Yes I plan to do it some day.

It was tempting for me until I saw that the winner was at three DAYS. I can not get that kind of vacation time. heh
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I agree. However, I am currently treating an open wound (two if you count my still healing elbow from the fall) under one so I am literally avoiding sweating until it heals. I don't want an infection. However this lack of activity is making me insane!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I agree. However, I am currently treating an open wound (two if you count my still healing elbow from the fall) under one so I am literally avoiding sweating until it heals. I don't want an infection. However this lack of activity is making me insane!

Cover the wound in superglue. Then go run. Easy.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

For our ultra runners: No pre-defined time or distance. Just a tiny loop of 4.17 miles that you have 1 hour to complete. But you have to do it every hour, until everyone else has given up. Sounds fun, right?
    https://www.rei.com/blog/run/the-most-punishing-running-race-youve-never-heard-of

Ah yes, Big's Backyard Ultra. I don't even have to click on the link, I can tell what it is from the description. As I recall this year it lasted 3 days. The winner had something like 280 miles. Second place was a Minnesota native who's destroying ultra records like crazy, Courtney Duwalter.

There's a race based on this concept in Minnesota called Last Man Standing. Yes I plan to do it some day.

It was tempting for me until I saw that the winner was at three DAYS. I can not get that kind of vacation time. heh

I bet most were out after a day or two. What I love about this concept is that if the last person doesn't successfully complete a final, solo lap, there is no winner. One year it was down to two runners and those two went head to head for a long time. Finally one of them had to quit or risk missing his flight home. In a show of sportsmanship the other runner quit too. No winner that year.

I was wrong about the name of the race in Minnesota. It's called Last Runner Standing. This was the first year and the winner had 90+ miles. Most were out by the 40s.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »

Isn't sweat a natural antiseptic? Haha! There's always Netflix..
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That's a very nice walking aid you have attached there.!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins wooo hoo you badass! Love it! And the commentary bahahaha.

@PastorVincent you are the worse enabler here - superglue. Though @AprilRN10 you could steal some wound glue from work.... Just saying lol.

I was stiff and sore yesterday, I assume left over tightness from the 20k on the weekend,followed by 10k yesterday. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night as miss 2 kept waking up and wanting to play during the night. I was very tempted to skip this morning, but I skipped Monday (wed here) so had to go out. I was set for 11k but barely managed 5. I kept getting sciatic pain down my left leg, my hips were aching like crazy. I just didn't enjoy it. So I limped home (both literally and figuratively) and got the roller out. I love and hate that thing. Concentrated on my It band and piriformis - that hurt. Now I can walk without a limp!

Tomorrow is a rest day. Im going to do some yoga for the next few days to really try loosen up.

But hey, I went out... That counts right?

:D I only suggested that because @AprilRN10 is a nurse. Besides, the original intention for super glue WAS to close wounds. That is why it sticks to skin so well. I do not know how sanitary it is, but it does stick real good. :smiley:
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    My new peg leg. I feel like I should have an eye patch and a parrot now.

ARGH!!!

mtguohmpt1dw.jpg

I love that its called a "leg up" bahaha
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

You don't need three days off unless you are planning to win it outright. You could set a shorter goal for yourself and still have a major accomplishment.

enabler :wink:

Where? In this thread? Surely you jest!