WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Katla - I often wonder if the rufous hummingbirds I see in summer are the same, or descendants of last year’s. They hang outside my picture window where I used to feed them, like they’re expecting me to come out and set up. We have Anna’s here year ‘round, and other than stopping at my tree to rest they know I’m out of the hummer feeding business. My whole neighborhood has feeders up all year, so I don’t feel too bad about missing it this year.

Lanette - I went back for my 50th reunion in ‘11 and was shocked by how many were gone from us. My class was about 400, and I’d say a good ¼-⅓ have passed. Many were unrecognizable, but a number I’d have known instantly, even without the name tags. They say my face is unchanged too. My mirror says they’re wrong.

Heather UK - We list elms here in the USA too. My parents bought a house because of the lovely huge elm on the front yard in ‘56. It was gone by ‘60.

Machka, your photos are lovely! You have such a smiling, positive face!

Cynthia! Love the photo of Pigo! For the old comic strip, I presume?

Barbie - I love standard poodles, but Heinz 57 doggos are great too! I may think of getting one if my walking comes back next year. It IS your own private world early in the am. I’m a late riser, but on camping trips I was always up at the break of day just because of that.

Sharon, AHMOC, near Seattle
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly I swear by the "Red Lentil Soup with lemon" recipe on New York Times website. I eat it regularly through fall and winter, cheap, delicious and filling.

Heather after all the ups and downs, and the long long wait! So happy for you, congratualtions.

A satisfying day of teaching, I am a lucky person, to do something I love. Now, off the couch and onto the treadmill! :o

NYKAREN
  • trucker743
    Options
    Beth! One of the things I think most kids remember with horror is “dodgeball”! I’d have “nope”d right out of that too!

SarahKratos, Welcome. I never heard of the cupcake diet. That’s probably a VERY GOID THING for me, lol! One sweet leads to another if I even get started.

Kim, you are so right. Each of us walk our own path.
    And a scarecrow costume sounds just perfect. Hope it scares bees too!

Ginger, I’ve thought of the same, but I’m not ready yet. My online communities are a major part of my social contact.

Barbara, AHMOD! Ok, we won’t. Talk about house cleaning. At all. For now.

Lisa, I’m a very, very sociable person, but I too am a dreader. I talk myself out of gatherings I know I would enjoy just because of the bother of getting ready, and of getting there. I’m so hoping I will have more energy as the weight starts to come off after my surgery!

Margaret - isn’t spending time with youngsters great? I have no nieces or nephews, but LOTS of grands. They keep me young!

Sarah, I have seven teeth left, and my dentist still hasn’t found that one!

Dana, my heart aches for your daughter and all who lost so much! I hope she can build her client base in Destin.

Rebecca, my neighbor is from Denmark, and he and his wife are living examples of “hygge culture”. I’m taking lessons out of that book myself!

Snowflake! So glad to see you post again!

Oh dear, Allie! Hugs!

Sue, what awful news! I’m so sorry. If you need support in the area I’m just out in Issaquah.

Sharon, AHMOC, near Seattle
  • SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sharon- it is actually a book! I think you're right about eating one sweet leads to another. :)

Sarah
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    I'm home and in bed..
    Yeahhhhhhh Heather I'm glad and hope the wait was worth it ...can't wait for pictures.
  • trucker743
    Options
    WizzyWug - don’t even try. I just did, and it’s used my entire morning. (Which I might have spent eating otherwise!)

Barbara, AHMOD - The first time I tried to cut the box oatmeal recipe in half I cut the time and heat level in half too. Ugh!

Lanette, they can also contact you if there’s a question on signature and ask you to bring ID down as proof.

Karen, your grandson is thriving. Perhaps his success with your methods will help modify his family’s thoughts about how it’s done.

I too am devastated at the sad news from PA. Many of my friends are Jewish, and I notice I’m seeing nothing on their social media at all. I think I can empathize w that.

Sharon, near Seattle.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA - crossing fingers foundation funds come through and help out, also saying prayers the biopsy shows something hopeful. This Medicare Part D is still a mystery to me with the "donut hole" part. Looks like it is going away in 2020 but then premiums will likely go upward. Sigh.

Is your DH feeling pretty well otherwise? Able to eat, sleep, have a fairly normal routine?

Hugs to you both!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Good evening y’all,

I went to the heart doctor today and all is good. The ventricular tachycardia is under control with the decrease of meds. I was taking too much causing too low of heart beat. She wants me to do “regular” exercise! I’m trying. I did go with DH for a walk this evening. I have to admit. I enjoyed it. Plus I ran into a church friend and she goes to the Silver Sneaker classes at the Y. That gives me some motivation!

I have an appointment with my neurologist on Friday with results of the MRI and our plan of action for my back surgery. He’ll refer me back to my neurosurgeon for that.

Sue Have you thought of a GoFundMe account? I started one for my daughter and have helped her a lot. If you want to know more message me.

KarenUK cute little boy! You should be proud!!

Heather I thought you would never move to Hove! I’m happy you are finally moved in. You will have fun settling in and decorating I’m sure.

Lanette, Katla, Barbara About my daughter’s job: She is a Yoga instructor and she had private clients and at some studios. She also worked at the Sheraton Resort at Bay Point. Sheraton is not reopening but they are giving her some emergency unemployment thru next month. Jessica was heart broken about it. She loved Serenity Spa and working with the tourists there. She also worked for a chiropractor, but his offices are closed, but had s temporary office open. She has gotten some privates in Destin and a friend told her she could use a room at their offices for a studio there. It even has a exterior door.
    She has a lot of friends and she’s a hard worker. I know she will get thru this.

It’s nice to be back!!
    Dana In Arkansas

Jessica at the Sheraton Resort last July in Panama City.
    y22im720fkxx.jpeg

Morning after the hurricane: https://www.facebook.com/jessica.nicolosi.52/videos/10156777779009375/
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT. You get the same calorie burn in half the time. Supposed to go to the Green Room today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Heather – thinking of you today and hoping you have good weather. Update: horray for you!!!

Janetr – I used that recipe once. For some reason, it didn’t hold up for me. Wonder what I’m doing wrong? Must be that I’m not using a candy thermometer.

Felicia – about the fudge: do you find that it takes longer to get up to temp than the 4 minutes they say? Maybe since I didn’t use a candy thermometer, it would have taken longer than the 4 minutes.

Wizzywig (is it Viv?) – there are times when I check in multiple times a day and at other times I just skim. I think that’s how most people do it

My sinuses are still acting up. Took the decongestant last night again, got 1-1/2 hrs of sleep. The bad thing is that even tho I’m not sick, my voice is very raspy. Update: went to the MD, I have a sinus infection. Am now on amoxicillin. Not sure why she prescribed amoxicillin. Any time previously I had a sinus infection, they always prescribed a Zpac

Lanette – we looked into an absentee ballot for Jess. Seems they have to mail you the ballot. It’s not something that’s online that you can download. Then you have to send it back. Carol – that’s a great suggestion, just make sure you give yourself enough time to get it done.

Rebecca – who is that scary person????

Karen in VA – congrats to your gs and YOU too

Sue in WA – good thoughts being sent for your hubby and YOU. Be sure to take care of yourself thru all this

Terri – welcome back. Please pop in and just say “hi” whenever you can

Dana – happy you got such good news from the MD

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Michele "Janetr – I used that recipe once. For some reason, it didn’t hold up for me. Wonder what I’m doing wrong? Must be that I’m not using a candy thermometer."

I have never owned nor used a candy thermometer in my life. :)

Janetr OKC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    t98324.gif