Over 60 still trying

Replies

• momweb883
    momweb883 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm once again trying to get on track. I am 64 and planning a trip to Hawaii in May. I so much want to be in the best shape before I go. I had my second knee replacement last August so I'm just beginning to exercise again. So far so good. Now, I need to get myself motivated to watch what I eat and choose carefully. I'm trying to document my foods each day, so I'm hoping that will help as well. Looking forward to working through the process with you all.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Congratulations, Jan, on reaching your goal. Keep us posted on your success with maintenance. I'm confident that you will manage that well.
  • stringrea
    stringrea Posts: 10 Member
    Hello, I am in my 60s, as well. I am having a hard time losing, and I am very frustrated. Why is it so hard to lose at this age? So frustrating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    stringrea wrote: »
    Hello, I am in my 60s, as well. I am having a hard time losing, and I am very frustrated. Why is it so hard to lose at this age? So frustrating.

I know the feeling. I actually gave up trying to lose weight in 2014 after 40 years of failing over and over and just started to work to improve my lab health markers at the age of 63. Initially I cut out all foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. By default without thought that took most of the highly processed foods off my plate.

It was a hellish two weeks back in Oct 2014 but my driving cravings for the most part were gone or quickly leaving by the end of the first 30 days then after two months the weight started going down slowly eating all I wanted when I wanted it. Not going hungry and losing weight was a first for this sick old man.

Now at 68 my health and health markers are better than in decades.

I still do not know why my new way of eating is actually returning my health year over year but I am loving it and getting excited about living again.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    daklock wrote: »
    This is a fantastic thread which I am now following. I am 61 yrs old and am trying to get healthier. I am in the morbidly obese category and it is affecting my health and my joints. I have lost the same 5 to 10 pounds over and over. i figure I have lost 1000 pounds, but I still look the same. This time I am determined to lose 100 + pounds. I have set mini goals along the way. My first goal is 30 pounds less. I am almost half way there - I have lost 14 pounds in the last 21 days. What I am concentrating on first is portion control. My husband and I eat pretty healthy, but my portions are way out of control. I have set my calories at 1500 per day, for now, and as I get used to that, may lower it another 100 calories at a time. Mary and DebKing52 - I am going to use the visual of losing 14 pounds is like losing a bag of potatoes. I wouldn't want to carry a bag of potatoes all the time.... So onward and forward to losing more bags of potatoes. Friend me so we can help each other. Mary from Canada - looking forward to hearing about your trip to Myrtle Beach. I live on the other coast, in BC, and winter has been mild here so far. I hope it stays this way.

Congratulations on getting started. But a quick word of warning: 1500 calories is potentially too low. I'm pretty sure that a good portion of those first 14 pounds was water weight, but if your rate of loss continues to be that high, you may want to consider slowing that down a bit. Please do this the healthy way. You body can only metabolize fat so fast. It will always consume some lean body mass too (muscle tissue). You want to hold on to your lean body mass the best you can.

Where did you come up with 1500 calories?
  • alteredsteve175
    stringrea wrote: »

What are you doing to lose weight? Someone here may have some insights for you, if you're willing to share some information.
  • daklock
    daklock Posts: 54 Member
    Silentpadna Where did you come up with 1500 calories?

Thanks for your concern.
    Actually MFP set my calories lower than that but I knew I couldn't go so low. My basal MR is set at 1730, so I deducted 200 calories from that number. I knew the initial loss of 10 lbs was water weight. The last 4 pounds has been coming off at about 2 lbs per week. This should be okay, and I am not going hungry during the day. I am having three good meals, and have a small snack once a day. I will reevalutate my calories when I start moving more and getting more exercise. Right now, that is pretty slow.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,255 Member
    Hello everyone, I'm glad I found ya'll. I'm going to be 65 in March! seems so surreal. I started in 2016 June & lost 50lbs in 18months. I've been maintaining because I just couldn't get myself to eat 1200cal/day for the last 10lbs. So last Sept I gained 5lbs but I'm doing my best.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I'm 65.👵I'm new to Keto diet 🥑and MFP. I'm 5'2'' and I was 64.9 kg 😒( (142 lb )# 1st week =I lost 1.8 kg(3.9 lb) #2nd week= I lost 0.9 kg(1.9 lb) I eat 1200 calories a day and no exercise yet. 😊I love Thai foods.🍜🍛🥗I'm on this journey with all of you.We can do it !!!👍💖
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    daklock wrote: »
    Silentpadna Where did you come up with 1500 calories?

Thanks for your concern.
    Actually MFP set my calories lower than that but I knew I couldn't go so low. My basal MR is set at 1730, so I deducted 200 calories from that number. I knew the initial loss of 10 lbs was water weight. The last 4 pounds has been coming off at about 2 lbs per week. This should be okay, and I am not going hungry during the day. I am having three good meals, and have a small snack once a day. I will reevalutate my calories when I start moving more and getting more exercise. Right now, that is pretty slow.

Um, subtracting 200 calories from your BMR (basal metabolic rate), if that's what 1730 actually is, is . . . unusual. BMR is pretty much what you'd burn if you were lying in bed in a coma.

Two pounds a week may be OK, if you're well over 200 pounds now, and more than 50 or so from goal weight (I gather from your earlier post that you're the latter, since you said 100+ to lose, and given your other comments, you may be well over 200 pounds, also).

At 2 pounds lost a week more recently, eating 1500, the implication is that your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is probably around 2500 calories per day.

I lost most of my weight (only 50ish pounds) at 1400-1600 plus exercise, but I started lower (class 1 obese, 5'5" and 183), and tend (for unknown reasons) to be mysteriously good at burning calories. ;)

It's good to be cautious, but you may be OK losing 2 pounds a week for now, as you say. If you notice any fatigue or weakness (otherwise unexplained), that would be a warning sign. I accidentally lost too fast for a bit at first (because of MFP underestimating my calorie requirements), and got weak and fatigued. Despite correcting quickly, it took several weeks to feel fully recovered. I don't recommend that to anyone! :)

Best wishes!
  • doglady2002
    doglady2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Hello I hear you all about years of trying and losing and gaining wow! So today is my Day #1 so I join you! I am 61 in Nebraska cold last few days but suppose to be around 50 today so walking the doggys! I work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off so on days are really hard to get any extra exercise in but gonna try harder! Have a great day everyone!
  • dav098c
    dav098c Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all. Just thought I would say hello to those over 60s like me.

Started tinkering with losing weight over a year ago when I was 252lb

Currently at 222lb and ultimately hoping to get below 170lb

Having fun discovering different recipes and portion sizes.

Low carb and CICO working so far.

Only walking, about 5 miles a day, as I have damaged my hip a little.

Best of luck to one and all
  • alteredsteve175
    Glad to see everyone posting here. The camaraderie and support is the best feature of the MFP website.
  • doglady2002
    doglady2002 Posts: 13 Member
    dav098c walking 5 miles a day is awesome my knees are taking a beating with a lot less then that! Way to go!
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    dav098c wrote: »
    Hi all. Just thought I would say hello to those over 60s like me.

Started tinkering with losing weight over a year ago when I was 252lb

Currently at 222lb and ultimately hoping to get below 170lb

Having fun discovering different recipes and portion sizes.

Low carb and CICO working so far.

Only walking, about 5 miles a day, as I have damaged my hip a little.

Best of luck to one and all

Oh...you sound just like me!!!!Nice and slow.....because it's slow are you finding what you lose is staying off? I think you hit the nail on the head saying "having fun discovering etc." that is what is different for me this time. When I think of something to eat (aside from my go to food), I first put it in my food diary and check the portion size and the nutritional info and if it is a...wow...that much carb......think of something else or if it's something I really want than eat just protein so I can use the carbs just for that treat. It's become a game to come up with interesting recipes or if going out to eat. I've got some good ideas from here on this post that I never would have thought of but tried them and they were great. 5 miles a day...wow...wish I could do that. Have bad back issues and walk with walker but still trying to walk...doctor said do anything you can...so I do. By the way what is CICO? Talk soon Mary from Ontario, Canada
  • dav098c
    dav098c Posts: 3 Member
    CICO - Calories In Calories Out

Calories in Calories out

As long as the former is smaller than the latter then it's all good
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    One if my favorites

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been."

Applies to this journey ... and so many other things in life.