Over 60 still trying

Replies

• DebKing52
    DebKing52 Posts: 15 Member
    Here are some links to other threads and groups of "seasoned citizens" on MFP.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683356/50-somethings/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Add me as a friend if you like. I am online most days. Always ready to share support or encouragement.

Thanks so much for the info, Steve, and for the encouragement! Much appreciated! Have a great day!!
  • DebKing52
    lenny009 wrote: »
    Good day, new to the site, 64 years young and down to 160 lbs (for 1 year) from 235 lbs. I was a yo-yo dieter all my life but luckily found a way to get to my goal. When I learned to sleep 8 to 9 hours a day, it became a lot easier to get motivated, not to mention a heart condition brought on mostly by over indulging. For me going from 3 to 5 hours sleep to 8 to 9 hours allowed me to have the energy to exersize and eat properly. It’s been a journey, but it certainly feels good to be able to control what I eat and how much. So to make a long story short, there are many factors leading to overweight, but there are triggers that if you can discover what they are, it will make the journey easier. Good luck on your journey, I certainly can relate.

I've never considered that sleep would make a difference in weight loss, but it makes total sense. A person would be able to make better decisions about what and how much to eat if they're well rested. I'll keep that in mind going forward! Thanks so much! Good luck all, and have a great day!!
  • DebKing52
    mprocyszyn wrote: »
    Debking52....welcome. I tried freezing the protein shakes in ramikins but didn't enjoy them that way so I am going to buy some of those popsicle forms and freeze them in those. They were tasty though...almost like those Fudgsicles you can buy. Yes your right about our age group aleast we can relate to each other and our health issues. I am trying the low carb way of eating and keeping to portion control but finding the posting of my food as really helpful and much easier on this site as it does the figuring out for you of calories and all the rest. I am hoping to get through Christmas and new year...so far no gain and no loss. Today going to make a pot of the "diet soup" remember that one...but going to add some simple meatballs to it and those Shiratake noodles to hopefully be a filling but low carb meal. We have no snow on the ground here but it's cold and that wind is nasty......just came back from walking our little dog and we both walked very briskly...the dog yes...me not so much. LOL Mary from Ontario, Canada

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for your comments! I had forgotten the "diet soup", how could I??? LOL That's a good one--I'll make some this weekend with some leftover cole slaw mix. I love the shredded cabbage and carrots in the soup--makes it even more delicious! Please add me as a friend! I'd add you, but I'm not very good at doing that yet. :/ Have a great day!!
  • DebKing52
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I'm 64. Will be 65 in January. I see a dietitian every couple weeks. I eat up to 1600 calories a day. She tells me to eat the foods I like so I can make this manageable for life. So, I do that, but stick to my calories. (Except for the occasional family wedding). I lost 15 lbs in July; 8 lbs in Aug; 6 lbs in Sept; and 7 lbs in Oct. I have a total of 34 lbs off now. I am getting there. Still have a lot to go!

Wow--you're doing great!! I always tend to starve myself....and then give up and gain everything back! Much better to have a plan that's manageable for life. Congrats to you! Gives me a lot to think about!
  • ybeavis1
    ybeavis1 Posts: 13 Member
    Feeling motivated by all your stories. I'm 60, lost 50 lbs in the last few years but have put a lot back on. I'm starting a swimming challenge in January and am just going to get back on the plan. I will NOT buy bigger sized clothes😊
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Good morning......well just as I thought did my weekly weigh in and sure enough 2 lbs up for last week. But will not get discouraged as all the Christmas goodies are gone and it will be nice to get back to normal routine after New Years day. The swimming challenge sounds great. We are lucky enough to live across from a Recreation centre and they have "seniors leisure swim" every day from 12:30 to 1:30 and besides the large pool also have a smaller 4 foot deep warmer pool where most of us seniors do what exercises works for each. It amazes me what one can move in the water and not on land (as I call it). It's great as I can walk out to the pool area with my walker and they have the handicap rails so I feel safe. I feel so good after doing leg and arm exercises as well as jogging in the water. My husband and I try to go 2x a week so will be good when the normal schedule is back on Jan. 2nd. Looking forward to going to Myrtle Beach for month of Feb. and as I use a walker now will be able to walk more comfortably there, it's my 1st winter using a walker and here in Canada I don't get out much due to snow and ice. Like you ybeavis1.......I will not be discouraged because hoping a weight loss will help me to continue to walk even with a walker is better than not. I've just started myself late October and I have 52 lbs still to go for my 1st goal and you have worked too hard to rid of your 50 to put them back. Go at them girl. LOL Mary from Ontario, Canada
  • lindagr15
    lindagr15 Posts: 4 Member
    Looking for some over 60 friends for help and motivation.
  • DebKing52
    Good morning......well just as I thought did my weekly weigh in and sure enough 2 lbs up for last week. But will not get discouraged as all the Christmas goodies are gone and it will be nice to get back to normal routine after New Years day. The swimming challenge sounds great. We are lucky enough to live across from a Recreation centre and they have "seniors leisure swim" every day from 12:30 to 1:30 and besides the large pool also have a smaller 4 foot deep warmer pool where most of us seniors do what exercises works for each. It amazes me what one can move in the water and not on land (as I call it). It's great as I can walk out to the pool area with my walker and they have the handicap rails so I feel safe. I feel so good after doing leg and arm exercises as well as jogging in the water. My husband and I try to go 2x a week so will be good when the normal schedule is back on Jan. 2nd. Looking forward to going to Myrtle Beach for month of Feb. and as I use a walker now will be able to walk more comfortably there, it's my 1st winter using a walker and here in Canada I don't get out much due to snow and ice. Like you ybeavis1.......I will not be discouraged because hoping a weight loss will help me to continue to walk even with a walker is better than not. I've just started myself late October and I have 52 lbs still to go for my 1st goal and you have worked too hard to rid of your 50 to put them back. Go at them girl. LOL Mary from Ontario, Canada

Bless you Mary!! Yes the more you lose the easier it should be to get around! I always envision for every 5 pounds lost, that's a whole bag of sugar I don't have to carry around anymore!!! You'll feel lighter in no time with your daily swims!! Good for you!! Keep up the good work my friend!!
  • mprocyszyn
    Good morning ladies:
    DebKing: Thanks for the boost.....got back on track yesterday so the 9 lbs since Oct. 28th is like a sack of potatoes gone...must think of it that way. Maybe a bag of sugar will be gone by Jan. 5th. The one thing I have noticed so far is I no longer need afternoon naps. Will continue to do my weekly weigh ins on Sat. mornings.
    The one thing that is kind of confusing though is...I am following low carb way of eating which seems to be working. My daily limit of carbs is 88gms...... 62 gms of fat.....123 gms of protein. When others post they use the term LCHF (low carb, high fat)...so must one eat higher fat along with the carbs? Is that the combination that reflects a steady loss?
    Trina: good for you for losing those 50 lbs and for maintaining what you lost. I hope to do the same. Geesh ....just dawned on me I will be 69 this year (July, 2019)...where has the time gone???? My brain is still thinking 50 and my body is not. LOL Have a lovely day ladies and wishing you a very Happy New Year and much health and good things in 2019. Mary from Ontario, Canada
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Hi, Mary @mprocyszyn You'll do it! Hang in there, never give up!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    The one thing that is kind of confusing though is...I am following low carb way of eating which seems to be working. My daily limit of carbs is 88gms...... 62 gms of fat.....123 gms of protein. When others post they use the term LCHF (low carb, high fat)...so must one eat higher fat along with the carbs? Is that the combination that reflects a steady loss?

The best combination is something that works for you and that you can follow long term. Do these ratios work for you? Do you feel satisfied at the end of the day?

Personally, I aim for 35% protein/35% fat/30% carbs. It's difficult for me to eat that much protein. I usually exceed the fat amount. I just let the carbs fall where they may and try to stay under my calorie limit.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hey hey hey! Home again after attending a funeral. Back to the regularly scheduled programming today.
  • mprocyszyn
    Good morning......did my weekly weigh in on Sat. and thankfully those 2 lbs. are gone so hopefully this coming Sat. another one will bite the dust. Have been on track so should happen. Hoping to get back to water exercises by the end of this week. I love my soups so someone suggested here just adding the coleslaw from the package....great idea when I went to store also found packages from Dole of broccali slaw so I added that and also a tablespoon of instant mashed potato to a 2 cup serving...very satisfying not to mention low on calories and carb. I like getting ideas from you ladies and finding my own to make a collection of low carb foods to rotate as not to get bored. I think that is helpful and you don't go back to cheating because of eating the same constantly.
  • DebKing52
    Good morning......did my weekly weigh in on Sat. and thankfully those 2 lbs. are gone so hopefully this coming Sat. another one will bite the dust. Have been on track so should happen. Hoping to get back to water exercises by the end of this week. I love my soups so someone suggested here just adding the coleslaw from the package....great idea when I went to store also found packages from Dole of broccali slaw so I added that and also a tablespoon of instant mashed potato to a 2 cup serving...very satisfying not to mention low on calories and carb. I like getting ideas from you ladies and finding my own to make a collection of low carb foods to rotate as not to get bored. I think that is helpful and you don't go back to cheating because of eating the same constantly.

Congrats on the 2 pounds gone!! Woohoo!! Yes, I find that rotating what you eat really helps, and I too love all the tips on good healthy low-cal. foods! I think you're doing just great, Mary, and love hearing all about your journey. I just love that we can encourage each other here on MFP! Helps so much!! Good luck all!! Deb in West Virginia
  • DebKing52
    Hey hey hey! Home again after attending a funeral. Back to the regularly scheduled programming today.

Welcome back, Steve! Take care!!