Over 60 still trying

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm 64. I have lost about 40 lbs. and have maintained that for a year. Need to lose another 20-30. The support here is awesome and helps me stay on program. I'm on here most days. Add me as a friend if you like. Glad to share support and encouragement.
    Why don't all of us over a 'certain' age Join up as friends maybe we can give each other some tips that are more suitable for senior years when we can't pack a punch on the exercise front. Good luck all.

I like your idea, @dejavuohlala. There are several threads aimed at seasoned citizens like us. Check those out as well.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683356/50-somethings/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I am 64 and have been a off again on again member for quite a few years. I am down a total of 58 pounds, 15 since I rejoined a few months ago. feel free to add me, we can all use all the support we can get.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    I'm 61. I've never been clinically overweight in the sense that I'm "normal" on the charts, but over the past 11 years my weight has crept up in part because of a sports injury and my environment (too much junk food around). I'm at the highest weight of my life and am considering seeing a nutritionist for accountability. It's embarrassing because I know what to do but the motivation of old is not there. As a small, short woman who is not physically active, the amount of calories to which I must limit myself makes me look anorexic. But I'm not.

It's hard because part of me wants to give up. But it's not in my interests to let it go. Being overweight (by my standards) affects my mood and if it continues, could affect my health. I can't fit into my work clothes. Being overweight tends to age people and in an ageist society, I cannot afford to look older.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I'm in the same boat, as I've been battling weight most of my life. I turned 61 in October. I know that I need to get my act together, but I get so damned tired of it all. I have been dieting since I was 25....

@Kathryn41057 that was my story up until 4 years ago when I decided never to go on a diet ever again since for 40 years they never worked out but only yo yoed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    I'm 62, and lost 42 pounds when my husband died two years ago. I regained nearly 20 pounds due to boredom and emotional eating, but the pounds are starting to come off again. I have a lot more to lose. It's not about how I look, or how thin I might get now. It's about keeping my mobility and saving my knees, since I have nobody to pick up the slack now if I can't do something.
    Already commented, but just popping back in to say I think you're on a good track with that thought: Losing 50 pounds made a huge improvement in knee pain from my torn meniscus/OA.

It's not perfect, as I'm deferring surgery as long as I can, but I went from frequent pain (sometimes awakening me at night) and routine discomfort, to very occasional annoying discomfort, some trivial twinges more often, and true pain being ultra-rare (I have to really over-do to cause it). Last year, for the first time since the meniscus diagnosis, I was able to finish the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge (row 200,000 rowing machine meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve) . . . and I was fine. :)

Also widowed myself, but an old hand at it now: It's been since I was 42 (will be 63 in about a week).
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yes all the similar stories, you can do this gotta stick with it. Good luck