Over 60 still trying

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    @reneinitaly -welcome and best of luck!
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Hello everyone....I am 68 and started low carb eating and tracking on MFP on Oct. 28th. Have health issues with spine (recently started walking with a walker) so am trying to lose some weight to atleast continue to walk as there is no other recourse for me. Haven't been able to budge an ounce in the last 18 years so was thrilled that 8 lbs have come off. Mind you 5 of those lbs were from a case of the flu but they have stayed off so I am counting them. LOL I am trying for 1 lb per week or anything at this point but I am finding that writing down what I eat has greatly helped me and of course this site makes it easy by calculating the calories etc. for you. I also find the data base very helpful as it holds a lot of company brands ( Canadian brands as well as US) so you can enter exactly what you had and not guess by choosing generic versions of and hope the calorie sums are almost the same. The one thing that is really helping is portion control......when you enter the calorie and associated carbs fat etc. for a proper portion and then post how many portions you actually consumed it's like WOW so I find for the next day I do the portion and feel better that I can have that food plus another food and still keep under my goals for that day instead of pigging out on one and that's it and go hungry. It is getting easier to visualize the portion of different foods so that's good. So will see if I am successful as I need to lose atleast 60 lbs to start if I hope to be able to continue to walk.....but any loss would be welcomed after all these disappointing years. My only problem is that I am just not hungry in the morning as a cup of coffee is more than sufficient and I really have lunch/breakfast around 12 or 1 p.m. and then dinner around 5 p.m. and snacks later on. I have kept under 1500 calories per day and under 90 gms of carbs so does it really matter when you consume your calories??? Mary from Canada
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    @mprocyszyn -welcome :)
    It sounds like you’re off to a great start, many times getting started is the hardest part!

As far as meal timing, it doesn’t matter at all when you choose to eat. If you’re not hungry in the morning, then by all means feel free to save your calories for later on.

Best of luck, change happens over time so be patient. Trust the process.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hello, all you seasoned citizens. Hope you are well. The Christmas season is upon us. My goal is just to maintain for the next six weeks. Merry Christmas!
  • reneinitaly7
    reneinitaly7 Posts: 15 Member
    Good evening everyone! I have actually tracked all week, and am liking this better than what I was doing before...so far so good. I am looking for a daily accountability thread/ group, with people in the same age bracket. Is there anything that you guys know of ? It would be great having some more buddies to stay motivated with.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    Good evening everyone! I have actually tracked all week, and am liking this better than what I was doing before...so far so good. I am looking for a daily accountability thread/ group, with people in the same age bracket. Is there anything that you guys know of ? It would be great having some more buddies to stay motivated with.

You could try this one, maybe, if it suits your needs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10704529/women-ages-50-for-november-2018

November's almost over, but I assume they'll start a new one in December - that seems to be the usual routine.
  • reneinitaly7
    reneinitaly7 Posts: 15 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You could try this one, maybe, if it suits your needs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10704529/women-ages-50-for-november-2018

November's almost over, but I assume they'll start a new one in December - that seems to be the usual routine.

Thank you!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    santasmrs wrote: »
    Hi everybody I need help desperately. I am 63 now, yo yo diets since I was in my 20s, it seems to get harder as the years go by to keep motivated is there anybody else out there like me. I need a good kick up the butt and perhaps a few friends.

Pretty much my life story too. Sending a friend request so we can encourage each other.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    You can all do this, no matter what the struggles don't give up. Yes it's hard when you get older but we must keep at it. It's better if you have supportive friends that are also on
    Mfp. Good luck all
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    I am in the same situation haven't been able to budge. As of this last Sat. Dec. 1st another lb. grand total 9 lbs. So excited. I swear the difference is I am writing everything down on this site that goes into my mouth......and I believe that is the difference. I am keeping to the low carbs...I've even posted foods I might have for example for lunch or dinner and if I see too much calories or carbs, I delete that food and think of something else. So hopefully this keeps up and as my friend tells me...it took you a long time to put this on and it will take you a long time to take it off but you are NOT DIETING you are eating and thinking of your food in a different way. Mary from Ontario, Canada
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    @reneinitaly7
    I am looking for a daily accountability thread/ group, with people in the same age bracket. Is there anything that you guys know of ? It would be great having some more buddies to stay motivated with.

You may want to look at "Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 61" It includes all ages and sizes, including a number of people over 65, and there's daily accountability. I started with Round 54, and I've dropped 20 lb. since the last week of September, which puts me about half way to my goal. Some members are losing and a few are maintaining, but it's a nice, supportive group. You can join a round at any time.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hello, everyone! Hope all y'all are well. Check in and let us know how you are doing.

Merry Christmas!