WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    Pleased to say that my three girlfriends don't seem too horrified at my bowing out of our reunion. Sad, but not devastated. We usually have them twice a year, so next spring will be fine.
    The one who now lives in Glasgow said she might visit us in the New Year. :D
    My cold is still keeping at bay for the moment and I hope it stays that way. I had nine hours sleep last night. :D:o

We did a LOT more box opening and sorting this morning. The kitchen now looks pretty clear and ditto the bathrooms. Found the other two TVS and all the wires etc. I've been trying to get all my food items organised, but it's a mammoth task. I've made some progress. The kitchen and utility room have handy slide out shelves that take a lot, but I still have MASSES left over.

My son is coming over in a minute with a van to take an armchair from the garage that we promised him. He will bring a friend as it is going three floors up in his his house and it is BIG. Then we will be able to organise the garage.

We are still managing to do our exercise session in the mornings, so I have 600 extra calories to play with. The shifting boxes and walking up and down all the stairs has been my bonus calories for now. Must go for a run tomorrow. I've kept my weight the same through the move - just under my goal weight. :D:D:D:D
    For the newbies, we have three exercise machines in a tiny spare room. My DH and I do our session together every morning, then I do yoga-ish, stretching things in our bedroom and then a bit of weights. Isn't retirement grand !!!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• reneinitaly7
    reneinitaly7 Posts: 15 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Good evening ! I am Rene, and I am an expat who lives near Florence Italy. I am coming off a decade and a half of WW, moving forward with MFP. I must say that I am not great at keeping up with personals, but will try my best . This is a tough adjustment for me but I need a change and some spark that comes with newness and change. I am 62.

SW 203.8
    CW 146
    GW 140
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yay! My app is working.

We were in and out in under 15 minutes when we voted this morning. There was a crowd and a line, but it was moving steadily with absolutely no wait. Another vote for looking forward to no more ads. I finally figured out the confusing amendments enough to vote my conscience, thank goodness.

Beth, several years ago I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from buying a brand new mini van. Putting the groceries in the van, my hand slipped and the cart put my first scratch in the paint. I cried and cried, but it did make the next one easier.

I am against any kind of political or religious discussion that implies people of a different opinion are somewhat “less than” but I don’t mind statements that give me a glimpse of who you are, whether liberal or conservative, religious affiliation or anti-religion at all. I love the diversity in this thread and our ability to get along. I also appreciate the leadership of those who get us back on track when we stray into controversial topics.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on the computer really since Thursday I read a few posts on Friday and Saturday, but when I got on here this morning I was 186 posts behind! Phew!

Kelly - I had a couple treasured childhood book in my head for a long time. I finally bought it a few years ago. It was called the Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables. This story meant a lot to me as my grandmother read her 1st edition copy to me when I stayed with her while my brother had a three week stay in the hospital. The memory of lying in bed with her reading to me and me reading to her (we took turns) is one of my fondest memories.

Allie - I am so very blessed that my eldest daughter makes time for me every single week. She brings the kids out every Wednesday for supper and every Sunday I either have them all there or just the Grands. My youngest daughter though seems to make more time for friends than she does us. Although in fairness, she mentioned yesterday when I saw her that she misses us and is trying to figure out how to spend more time at our place. I prefer to stay home than go anywhere so although I'm not busy I have a hard time making commitments to visit others often.

Machka - I had a coworker that used a system for managing smaller tasks. If something was going to take him less than 5 minutes he did it immediately. Longer tasks he scheduled time for each day. He was very strict with his time even with the big bosses. It worked well for him to keep him organized.

Lisa - Yay for getting out of the lease!

I can't even remember if I mentioned on this thread that my branch is going to be closing. I had to travel to Calgary yesterday to receive my notice of termination letter. I was expecting a week's notice as that is what I was told last week verbally and that is all that I am legally entitled to, but in a very nice turn of events I have been given a month's notice. So my last day is December 7th.

I went away for the weekend to my cousin's, I took my grandchildren with me. She has a granddaughter the same age as mine and we thought it would be fun to have them play together. It was fun most of the time, but her granddaughter is the only and doesn't like sharing her toys very well. I ate too much and very unhealthy so I need to get back at it this week.

Not a lot to say, just wanted to say Hi and tell you all I missed you
    Tracey in a snowy cold Edmonton
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Tracey, it's really hard to tell by your post if you're happy or sad to be leaving your branch. Whichever you are, I hope it's a good thing for you, either now or down the road. So many of the things I've grieved over have, in the end, turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. Doesn't stop the grieving over it, but does provide a little perspective for me afterwards.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    o032fb4298x7.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from you Wendy. I was worried about you. :o<3

Hooral, hooray, hooray Lisa!!!!! The best news. :D

My son came by himself to collect the chair. Don’t know how he is going to get it upstairs.

We had a look in the 'mezzanine' level in the garage. It will be a useful space, but not an easy way to get up into it. We found a torch lamp which works, once I put some batteries in. Will be useful for a power cut.

Looking now for an artificial Christmas tree for our diner. The old one we had fell to bits so we threw it away before the move.
    Also I'm looking at outside lights for the natural pine tree that is growing in the front garden. I've never had a decent front garden before, let alone outside lights. :D Excited!
    We are not having anyone for actual Christmas Day, because the kids are going to DDIL'S parents and then straight on to Cornwall on a house swap. :'(:'(:'(
    However, she has booked us all in for a visit to Santa on the Saturday before and they are coming back here for lunch and our present opening. :D:D:D Sounds good.

Happy days.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Tracey, it's really hard to tell by your post if you're happy or sad to be leaving your branch. Whichever you are, I hope it's a good thing for you, either now or down the road. So many of the things I've grieved over have, in the end, turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. Doesn't stop the grieving over it, but does provide a little perspective for me afterwards.

Thanks Lisa, I'm really indifferent about it. I have not been overly happy with this position since I took it. I was hoping that I could grow it and make it a success after they forced me into selling, but I know I have done more than I had agreed to when I took the job and I think what I feel now is relief. Something else will come along and at least I'm getting some notice and will have EI when it comes to an end if I haven't found something else in the meantime.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just a quick note to say I am taking a step back from social media for awhile until I regain balance in my OTT life. Can't keep up so might just pop in now and then. Love ya'all, Wendy

Wendy! Hi!! We missed you, glad to hear you are OK - hope things settle down soon for you! <3

Lanette

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Janetr Hubba hubba!
    Allie a former pastor once told us to look at our day planners and checkbooks to see where our hearts were, and if we didn't like what we saw, ask for help to change... ;}
    Lisa now that I'm retired, moved from the sagebrush to the sea, (and prone to the complaining that seems endemic to aging) when someone asks me how I am, I reply "Happy to be HERE!" ;) "It's rented" already? Halelujah!
    Machka so glad you were able to nap through the MRI. Sorting through 2 piles is a great start. Come on over and we can sort just one pile each together ;)
    Jo impressive interval training and save travels!
    Beth busy-ness lets us slide past spending precious time with our loved ones. It is a thief. It robs us of joy now and sweet memories later. I was uber busy all the time when I worked and now have to learn all over again how to be present for Joe and the dogs.
    Barbie holding good thoughts for Jakes surgery. Love the image of you out planting your bulbs while someone else remodels your kitche ;)
    Welcome Tanya! Walking to work is a great way to increase your activity. Well done!
    Heather SMH at your exercising together wtih your husband. That would NOT work for me!
    Welcome Rene, how did you come to live in Florence? Bet there's a story there...
    Tracey glad you got more notice than expected and that you are relieved at the change. Something better is out there for you.
    Wendy so relieved to hear from you. Pop in whenever, you were missed.

Voting: Mama was born into a time in the US when women were denied the vote. She never missed a chance, and neither do I.

#6. Blue skies and ocean after 3 gloomy days.

Oops, time to dash to try "Chair yoga".
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 3/5, rx/vits 5/5, meditate 4/5, walk one more step 4/5, knee exercises 5/5, play with Tumble 4/5, core 2/8, SWSY UP 2/8, SWSY LOW 1/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 3/5.
  • SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :) I also was shut off from MFP yesterday. I missed a whole day of logging. I recently turned 61 years old. I exercise daily. I enjoy strength training. I also hike and swim. My husband and I are going to be purchasing E-bikes soon. I have been retired for six years now. My husband retired last year. We have become what they call snowbirds. I never thought that I would see this day. It is a huge transition from working especially for my husband. Talking about busy he feels he has to be busy all the time. I try to find him things to do around here. I have a very sweet sweet tooth! Right now I weigh 150 pounds. I am 5'4" tall. I am trying to get down to around 120 pounds. The hardest thing for me is to stick to my calorie goal that MFP set for me of 1230 calories. I usually go over!! That is set for losing 1 pound per week. I am trying to eat mostly a Paleo diet. Anybody have any luck with that? That way I get a variety of healthy food. I am trying to get my sweet tooth satisfied through eating fruit. It doesn't always work LOL my husband sabotages me most of the time. He brings home my trigger foods thinking he is being kind to me. I want to throw all of the sweets out of the house but he resists that suggestion because he doesn't want to waste money! I wish he had to lose weight and would jump on board with me but that is doubtful. I noticed the gratitude calendar. Great idea! It is nice to evaluate your life to see all of the things that there is to be grateful for.

Janetr- Happy Birthday! What a sweet card from your granddaughter!

Sarah
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well I came home at 2 going to take a bit of a nap .maybe go play bingo tonight I will see...
    Think someone or something knocked over my bird feeder..I'm kinda miffed but it's pouring rain so will deal with it tomorrow.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)o:)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome Sarah . I am a 5’4” as well—quite a few of us on this thread. I think it’s tough when the sweets keep showing up, but if you are substituting protein, hopefully you can walk on by. At night a little yogurt with some berries is something I will eat instead of cake/cookies/ice cream. Welcome!
    Stick with this chatty group!

NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wendy :) So glad to see you. Thank you for posting, & glad you are fine.

Machka Your post reminded me of the method used to get all the windows clean at my childhood home. There was a high school girl who was very involved in extracurricular school activities. She lived way out of town in the country. If she rode the school bus home, she missed her meetings and rehearsals. They were poor & couldn't afford the gas or a car for her. So she lived with us in town during the week, & in exchange for room & board, she helped my mom with some household tasks. My mom was dreading cleaning the windows, so our boarder suggested that they clean 1-2 windows every evening after dinner. She did the outside & Mom did the inside. It was a big old house with lots of windows, but they stuck with it & got all the windows done in about 6-8 weeks. Dad had to do the outside 2nd level windows using a ladder. They would have so much fun that my sister & I wanted to join in. It was practically a party for about 15 minutes every evening after dinner. :)

Rita Great photo!

Karen in Virginia

p.s. I voted. We took the grandkids. I made up a Civics question for my grandson today: Explain what each of the following Amendments had to do with voting; 15th (suffrage for freed slaves), 19th (suffrage for women), 23rd (gave right to vote to residents of D.C.), 24th (outlawed poll taxes & literacy tests for African Americans), and 26th (lowered voting age to 18). I turned 18 in July of 1972. The 26th Amendment was ratified in 1971. I voted in the 1972 Presidential election as an 18-year-old. The Presidential candidates were Richard Nixon (Spiro Agnew) and George McGovern (Sargent Shriver).
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Dana - it was Janetr's birthday, lol. And her granddaughter's precious note. I'm still a youngster trailing a year or two behind you I think. B):D

Karen in VA
    - loved that window washing story. Yep, doing these tasks in 15 minute increments seems to work really well.

Instead of being discouraged that there's still a lot to be done, celebrate each small victory.

Lisa
    - yes, glad you are out from under that rental so quickly! Just like getting a raise! Woo hoo!!

Sharon
    - I love your long posts as well. If you don't get worn out writing them, we don't get worn out reading them. <3

Nice sunny afternoon here. I need to head out to the potting shed and gather up liquids to put in the garage that might freeze. We'll likely see nights in the 20's starting tomorrow night. I'm not complaining since I know many of you have seen snow already. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State