WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Barbara AHMOD - I forgot to say thanks for posting that Strong Women Strong Bones video! Looks like something I can do in the house when it's too cold to hit the weights in my "outdoor studio".

Allie
    - good luck with the new office manager and hope she works out well for the team.

Katla
    - sorry to hear about your sore backside. Do you often ride with the bareback pad or more often with the saddle? I got bucked off a pony when I was a kid so would prefer to ride a horse with a saddle and a seatbelt, lol. Or better yet, watch others enjoy riding! :D

Janetr
    - Happy Birthday! Thank handwritten note is a million times better than a purchased card. I got teary eyed just reading it. <3

Yesterday I sprinkled lime over the mossy drainfield and sewed some kale seed. The seed is 6 years old, not sure if any will germinate and it might be too cold, but thought it worth a try. I like to chop up a leaf or two and add to my morning scrambled egg. I see we have the twin fawns lurking in the trees so set plastic milk crates over the seeded area.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    JanetR - Happy birthday! And what an amazing card... just lovely.

Lisa in AR
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    JanetR - Happy Birthday! What a special card!

Lanette - I find that everything is worse if I overindulge in added sugar, knees, headaches, etc.

Okie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2018
    Joe's riding his bicycle so I'm running the washer (but NOT vacuuming you will note). It really is starting to make the most awful sounds. Maybe I'll stop in the appliance store and see if he has a nice used QUIET Speed Queen... so: Gratitude 5=the quiet after the washing machine finishes.

Carol in Kent my DVT all resolved thank Goodness and was able to get off blood thinners in only six months. Hope the meds give you no trouble. Do you use compression socks?
    pip Woo HOO! WTG gal. You really are a PIP!
    Rita your photos make the desert look beautiful!
    Kim "surprise calories" true!
    Dana happy to hear your nap made you feel so good. Glad you had some respite from pain.
    Rebecca what about a duplex? That way if eldest son wants to move on, you could rent it out to help cover the mortgage?
    Sharon you are so wise to prepare so well for your surgery. Atta gal!
    Machka teared up reading your "sound I'm most grateful for today..." Brava!
    Michelle, got the "temporarily down" so many times yesterday I stopped closing screen and just clicked elsewhere, then tried again. Foo! Supervised Joe yesterday as he lopped down (no electric trimmers or chain saw thank Goodness) a rhodie that was blocking view of the lawn. He did a great job and now we can more easily check for cougars in the yard before letting dogs out. He wants to do the same on west side of the house, but I hope he'll spare the holly trees. Thanks for the pie recipe!
    Katla, bareback? Ouch indeed!!!
    Heather your garden sounds like a delightful surprise, and may help offest any countryside nostalgia.
    Lisa our dishwasher is used for Tupperware storage. Yank away! ;) Can hardly wait to see the pics.
    Okie nachos in NewZealand ;) How long did you live oven-less in Shanghai?
    Lanette making a game of decluttering... hmm.... might just try that tonight. Roughly how much lime did you sprinkle per square foot of mossy ground?
    Janetr Happy Birthday! What a loving cool, beautiful gal you are to have earned such high praise from your grand daughter.
    Allie sending good thoughts for your new management situation.
    Karen in VA Yes the grapefruit pie sounds more like fruit salad in a shell. Somehow thought it pie would be a baked one, like lemon meringue. Dang, now I'm wanting to eat, way before lunch time. Time to stand up!

Need to find another activity as Tuesday night line dance class is on hiatus for the holidays. Thanks to Katla will check out Yoga studio. It is spendy, a senior 10 class pass works out to $8/class. Reframed, it's only $3 more than line dancing. On my way!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 2/4, rx/vits 4/4, meditate 3/4, walk one more step 3/3, knee exercises 4/4, play with Tumble 3/4, core 1/8, SWSY UP 1/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/4.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Happy B'Day Janetr OKC, what a very special card from your granddaughter, lots of love!

NYKAREN
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    JANET...Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Barbara AHMOD - lime (we get prilled lime - calpril - from the Ag store) goes on at 400 to 500 lbs per acre when DH does it right and pulls the spreader behind his tractor. Spring and fall. Or at least once a year. Does a good job keeping moss and weeds down except where it is really wet all the time and in the shade.

Yesterday I filled half a bucket with calpril and just broadcast handfuls up and down the mossy rows of the of the septic lines/array. Not a lot. Calpril is good because it goes down in little pellets that slowly melt over time. When we had the drought a few years ago and crane fly damage, those lines really took a hit and haven't recovered well. We need good vegetation growing there to pull up the moisture from the pumped septic liquid. I think for small jobs, a bag of soil sweetener does the same thing if Calpril is not available.

I found out that many weeds love our acid soil. We had a lot of sheep sorrel taking over the lawn a couple years ago, after DH broadcast lime they've been reduced about 98% and grass is now back. Folks sometimes resort to putting down herbicides on their lawns, unaware that sweetening the soil can help a lot. Grass is good at crowding out weeds.

Ok that's the master gardener lawn lesson for today, lol. I feel some mojo coming back. B)

Beth and Okie
    - thanks for verification about sugar/inflammation. Since my shoulders started aching just days after the Funsize arrived in our house, I was pretty sure it was all connected.

Onward ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3<3Machka <3<3 - The Cookie Tree! lol Yes! Thank you for the link! As I scrolled down and looked at the "books others have looked at" I saw a few others from my childhood. Oh...I wish I had grabbed those books when my parents passed. My older brother took them all, along with many family photos, (with our blessings) then lost everything in a fire a few years later. :'( But thank goodness for the internet and places like Amazon and Ebay where you can find all of these little treasures!
    Janet- Happy, happy birthday, dear friend! What a wonderful letter from your granddaughter!
    Beth- I thought of you and a couple of other hearing impaired friends of mine as I thought about what sound I am most grateful for. (I chose my alarm each morning that announces another day of life) Sorry about your new car! Ugh! Sunday drivers! >:)

KJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited November 2018
    A wonderful tribute, Janetr. <3

I'm coming down with DH's cold, I think. I've cancelled a visit from my Portsmouth friend tomorrow as I don't want to give her the dreaded bug. It was a bad one. I wasn't really in the mood anyway as we still have so much to do and the place is a tip, but we have emptied a few more boxes. I had a meltdown this morning because I couldn't find enough places to put stuff. I have so many food items and ingredients. :#:o Each box is a new decision and I wasn't feeling well enough to think.
    Took some time out.
    This afternoon we walked up to the shops at the top of the road and bought lamb and veg for a stew. Lots of small shops up there. Totally different atmosphere to our little enclave. Might enrol at the NHS dentist up there. Not easy to find one.
    After that we looked on Amazon for an under the counter freezer. The second hand shop up there had a few, but they were not much cheaper than a cheap new one. We ordered a black one because it was cheaper than the white and it's only for the utility room. Should come on Thursday.
    I think I won't be going to the 'girls' reunion this weekend. I was a bit reluctant anyway as my 'difficult friend ' is hosting. We have to babysit the grandchildren until Saturday lunch time because DS and DDIL are going to Cyprus for a TEDX conference. Last year she was speaking and too nervous to enjoy it, so this time they are going for fun. :D The nanny, us, and the other grandparents are all pitching in to cover. We are starting at 8 am on Friday and staying the night.
    Added to that the trains are cancelled on Sunday for part of the journey and I do not fancy a replacement bus and a three hour journey when I am recovering from a cold. Plus I do NOT want to stay with the friend, so I would be letting myself in for a hotel and they have booked an expensive meal for Sunday night. Costa lotta. :laugh:
    Altogether a wash out. So tomorrow I will make my excuses. I don't think they were really expecting me to turn up.
    These are friends from school. One is the friend I cancelled tomorrow.
    Hope my cold isn't as bad as DH had it. :noway:

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Just finished my first hour of SWSY. Arms and legs a-tremble, I'm pooped! Forgot it included core exercises so it was a 3-for-1.

Beth you are amazing at finding the bright side.
    Lanette lbs/acre? ROTFLMAO! was thinking of sprinkling a few tablespoons or even a cup on my little 2'x 6'patch so your bucket and handful measure sounds just right ;) Sounds like the pelletized lime I got at the ag store was a good guess. Will scatter some where the grass is patchy too and maybe over the septic on general principles. Many, many thanks!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 2/4, rx/vits 4/4, meditate 3/4, walk one more step 3/3, knee exercises 4/4, play with Tumble 3/4, core 2/8, SWSY UP 2/8, SWSY LOW 1/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/4.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Auntiebk.

No I don't use compression stockings, the last DVT was over 14 years ago but because I had three I've had to stay on blood thinners for life. It's a nuisance for pre ops and post op as they won't discharge from hospital until the levels are correct. Glad yours resolved.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    beth :s why is it always the new car that gets dented :s:s:(

Sound I love: a baby cooing, babbling or giggling.

Sound I am most grateful for: any and all beautiful music

NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Rebecca--How exciting you can track DS's flight. I know you will miss, but great memories you have from the visit.

Heather--Sounds like a fun day and great adventure.

PIP--congrates on your run.

Sharon near Seattle--I enjoy your posts and I do not mind the long ones. So please don't stop.

Michele--I have gotten that message recently and just arrow back and it works.

Heather--Other then the stairs your new place sounds great. So glad you are getting settled in. I always feel like christmas when we move and I am unpacking a box and putting things in their new place.

Janetr--What a GREAT card! Something like that means more to me than anything they could of bought me. Happy Happy Birthday!!

Anyone heard from Meg from Omaha? <3

Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mjschmitzmojo
    mjschmitzmojo Posts: 22 Member
    Good Afternoon Ladies,

Welcome to the new comers, I'm pretty new myself and appreciated the welcome so I am welcoming you also.

Heather - Awesome job on the run!!!!! You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Machka - Love the calendar, great inspiration

Janet - Happy Birthday and such a sweet card

Barb - Thanks for the info regarding posting, appreciate you answering me.

Haven't posted since Friday. It was a busy weekend, didn't get any exercise in which aggravates me. Plan on making up for it this week, weather has turned cold here in the Windy City of Chicago so it will be the treadmill tonight for at least and hour. Need to keep motivated.
    Halloween party this weekend with the hubby and a bunch of friends so did have some cocktails but drank low carb and low calorie beer.

Overslept this morning so I was rushing out of house, spilled an entire container of water all over my co-workers desk, been dropping things all day, and have a runny nose, so this is not the most exciting day, but on the positive side got 9,000 steps at work today and plan on getting at least 4 miles on the treadmill tonight.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, an awesome Monday and things are good for you.

Jo

Chicago