Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 4,960Member Member Posts: 4,960Member Member
    6/16 Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 3, and handstand push-up GTG.
    6/17 Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 4, handstand push-up GTG and press handstand core strength work.

• aokoyeaokoye Posts: 2,279Member Member Posts: 2,279Member Member
    8k in a novice 8 with my novice 4 in stern so we could practice in our race line up. I was stroke which is doing really good things to both my confidence and my technique in terms of making sure I'm easy to follow. It's funny, 7 or 8 months ago I was the least confident in the boat and now I'm consistently stroke in novice boats (mind you - 7 or 8 months ago I was practicing with the intermediate and advanced men).
  • firef1y72firef1y72 Posts: 1,281Member Member Posts: 1,281Member Member
    Get moving monday.

1hr PT - full body, TRX based, with some new, more advanced versions of some of the exercises. Single arm bicep curls were certainly interesting as were the pikes and double leg mountain climbers.

Its deload week in 5/3/1 which meant seriously light working weight for squats and shoulder press. Also did [email protected] paused squats and [email protected] shoulder press.

1 mile easy run down to gym for tabata. Note to self, you have little legs and if you try and keep up with the long legged man on other side of road, you will tank out.

30 min tabata

45 min barbell, new leg track still hurts.
  • sweetbe44sweetbe44 Posts: 99Member, Premium Member Posts: 99Member, Premium Member
    Glutes and arms
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Posts: 815Member Member Posts: 815Member Member
    EmBeatie wrote: »
    What's PT? Can people add the time their workouts take out of interest? I'm sure some of these would take me 2 hours.

I mentioned PT above - physical therapy? As for time, don't worry about others's times working out. I've been working out fairly hard now for 10 years. Lost the weight (and have maintained) for nine years.

I workout an hour a day most days. Roughly 90 minutes on Sunday (took yesterday off for Father's Day, did some planting) and then an hour M - F at lunch.

Today was a bit shorter of a workout -- 20 sprints. 2K warmup on the rower, then 8 short sprints (around 200m each or 20 strokes on, 20 off), then 12 sprints on the AD Pro (90 seconds on @ 300 plus Watts and 60 secs active recovery).
  • drmwcdrmwc Posts: 78Member, Premium Member Posts: 78Member, Premium Member
    Yesterday: 100 kettle bell swings, 24 kgs bell.
    5 mile walk
    4x1500 metre indoor row, 3 minutes rest between sets.
    Today: 16,000 steps.
    80 minutes bouldering, git a few v2s (I'm not very good yet.)
  • rldeclercq4rldeclercq4 Posts: 255Member Member Posts: 255Member Member
    Bench press
    Deadlifts
    Shoulders
    Leg press
    Push-up/pull-up rotation

I like reading this thread. It’s simple but inspires me to want to keep hitting the gym to keep up with y’all.

I did a 7+mile run on Saturday but by the end my legs were toast so I plan to up my mid week runs to the 4.5-5 mile range
  • Finafoshizzle93Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 83Member Member Posts: 83Member Member
    45 min elliptical
    25 min abs
    EmBeatie wrote: »
    What's PT? Can people add the time their workouts take out of interest? I'm sure some of these would take me 2 hours.

I typically always use PT to mean physical therapy (which you will also see written as "physiotherapy" by people whose variety of English isn't any of the ones found in the US) but some people use it to mean personal trainer. I typically am able to rely on context clues to figure out what they mean, but not always.

My workouts that are inside are typically no longer than an hour and 15 minutes. If I'm rowing on the water it's more like an hour and 20 minutes.
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,071Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,071Member, Premium Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Yesterday: 100 kettle bell swings, 24 kgs bell.
    5 mile walk
    4x1500 metre indoor row, 3 minutes rest between sets.
    Today: 16,000 steps.
    80 minutes bouldering, git a few v2s (I'm not very good yet.)

Nice job on the KB swings. Did you time yourself, work within a time interval or go with your flow? Regardless, good heart thumper, keep up the good work.
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,071Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,071Member, Premium Member
    6/17/2017 - the real 6/17/2019, yesterday’s date stamp was in error - at park in mid-afternoon -

#1 - alternating pull-ups and chin-ups 100 reps in 20:03 - been working on a goal of 100 reps in 20:00 or less.

#2 - Run 5:40 walk 0:20 for 6 rounds = 3.06 miles in 30 minutes - planned 10 rounds and 60 minutes but cooler mid-morning workout got delayed to run starting at 3:20 pm and 91F degrees and 34 percent humidity so made business decision to cut run in half and try 60 minutes on different day.
  • RunnerGirl238RunnerGirl238 Posts: 334Member Member Posts: 334Member Member
    Glute stuff: clam shells, single leg dead lifts, regular deadlifts, just death, bulgarian split squats, globe squats, box jumps...then just some crying

20 min treadmill walk 10% incline...

Ramping up my mileage to 36ish miles this week. Gotta figure out how to fit in lower body strength stuff...any ideas appreciated!!
  • jnomadicajnomadica Posts: 211Member Member Posts: 211Member Member
    Second day of no workout. Strained my forearm Saturday and I’m trying to rest it. Missing my workouts really stinks:(
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,160Member Member Posts: 11,160Member Member
    Yup, another 7K-ish in a double, takes about an hour on the water; hour and a half or so if you include carrying boats and stuff.

No, we're not that slow: On-water time includes a couple of water breaks at the bridges, the (slow) turns at either end, easing through the weeds at launch/landing, and that sort of thing.

But we're pretty slow, especially this season: My most frequent double partner and I are both fighting physical issues. Usually we'd be doing race-pace and interval pieces by now, even though we rarely race anymore, just do them for fun. But she seriously needs a hip replacement (tough woman, hiding lots of pain - trying to time surgery for Fall, between main rowing season and a November Hawaii trip for her 42nd wedding anniversary) and my knees are for c**p, so lots of steady state now. Sigh!
    aokoye wrote: »
    8k in a novice 8 with my novice 4 in stern so we could practice in our race line up. I was stroke which is doing really good things to both my confidence and my technique in terms of making sure I'm easy to follow. It's funny, 7 or 8 months ago I was the least confident in the boat and now I'm consistently stroke in novice boats (mind you - 7 or 8 months ago I was practicing with the intermediate and advanced men).

Man, all I ever do when coach puts me in stroke is count (in . . . out . . . 3 . . . 4): Sometimes out loud, always moving my mouth. I'm engine room by deep nature (only in my gender and age group, I hasten to add!), but would far rather bow (if uncoxed) than stroke. I'm impressed: Go, you!

You'll report on the race, I hope? PM if nothing else?
  • becoming_the_best_mebecoming_the_best_me Posts: 29Member Member Posts: 29Member Member
    Chasing after my toddler :p
  • rupshawrupshaw Posts: 246Member Member Posts: 246Member Member
    2.3 mile morning run. 2.4 mile lunch run and 22 mile bike ride this afternoon. 💪🏼🏃🏻‍♂️🚴🏼‍♂️
  • jennifer_417jennifer_417 Posts: 12,237Member Member Posts: 12,237Member Member
    30 mins on the elliptical
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yup, another 7K-ish in a double, takes about an hour on the water; hour and a half or so if you include carrying boats and stuff.

No, we're not that slow: On-water time includes a couple of water breaks at the bridges, the (slow) turns at either end, easing through the weeds at launch/landing, and that sort of thing.

But we're pretty slow, especially this season: My most frequent double partner and I are both fighting physical issues. Usually we'd be doing race-pace and interval pieces by now, even though we rarely race anymore, just do them for fun. But she seriously needs a hip replacement (tough woman, hiding lots of pain - trying to time surgery for Fall, between main rowing season and a November Hawaii trip for her 42nd wedding anniversary) and my knees are for c**p, so lots of steady state now. Sigh!
    aokoye wrote: »

Man, all I ever do when coach puts me in stroke is count (in . . . out . . . 3 . . . 4): Sometimes out loud, always moving my mouth. I'm engine room by deep nature (only in my gender and age group, I hasten to add!), but would far rather bow (if uncoxed) than stroke. I'm impressed: Go, you!

You'll report on the race, I hope? PM if nothing else?

Ooof, injuries and the need for surgery are so hard. I know what it's like to try to time major surgery around things (in my case, school) and it's so hard. I definitely scheduled my last one around a choir concert and school. The call with the surgery scheduler (who was lovely and at one of my post ops made sure to pop her head in to see how I was doing) involved me saying, "wait! I need to try and figure out when my concert whose dates aren't published yet are!"

And yes, I will definitely report back about the regatta. I race in the novice 4+ on Friday morning and the mixed 8 on Saturday. I actually really like sitting stroke when I'm feeling confident. Though even on Sunday when I was in the quad I quickly got over my initial "oh, I've never sat stroke in a quad..." nervousness and was apparently very steady in terms of rate (though omg how I wished that I had a speed coach - a fair amount of people in my club who scull have their own). I was texting with a rowing friend of mine who did LTR 1 and 2 with me and she, smartly and easily, convinced me to take tomorrow off from rowing because really, we're all supposed to be tapering and I need the extra sleep. I'll probably take a long walk tomorrow but otherwise no purposeful exercise until Friday.

There's a lot of implicit, "you will be as easy to follow as possible as a person in stroke" in my club. Coaches will talk about it directly and indirectly, typically indirectly, though sometimes coaches will come out and say it (I've only ever heard it explicitly mentioned in the context of a novice boat or LTR). But then also things like, "I want you to work on early rollups*....ok see how stroke is rolling up early?" and making sure you're not rushing the recovery. Stuff like that. Our coaches will also ask for feedback about the boat from the person sitting in stroke as well as the cox. So for example, on our penultimate start when asked for my feedback I said, "I was able to get to the 28, but people were rushing me to the catch**"
    Oh also! So today's practice was with the novices and thus was a different coach from the most of my practices. She noted that really it appears my "natural" rate for a start is a 34 and that I should just go with that and lengthen to a 28. We did...a lot...of starts this morning and I think that's what we're going to go with. The 34 felt shockingly together and I was able to get to the 28 and keep it there most of the time (though it took a lot of "go with what feels slower than you expect because that's what's actually a 28" internally).
    Note that apparently it isn't unusual for the advanced crews in my club to do their starts at a 40 or 42 and the settle at a 36.

All that said, I really need to learn to bow uncoxed boats. I mean I know how, but not even kind of well. I am going to try to mention it to one of the sculling coaches and/or a friends of mine who are proficient at sculling next week. I know I'll be able to figure it out, but I'm nervous about hitting things in the process. I also really don't want to break a rigger - this has been a bad season for that. Yay snags in the river...

*non-rowers. Rolling up is squaring your blade so that the flat side is perpendicular to the water. We work on rolling up early for various reasons including to make sure that we're ready at the catch (the start of the rowing stroke).
    **the catch is when the oar goes in the water, then there's the drive, the finish (when the oar comes out of the water), and finally the recovery which is when we come back up to the catch and do the whole sequence over again.
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 4,960Member Member Posts: 4,960Member Member
    Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 5, handstand push-up GTG and press handstand core strength work.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 5, handstand push-up GTG and press handstand core strength work.

Good job on week #1, looking forward to you sharing how week #2 goes. I've done a progression workout like that with bar dips. My single set max reps improved but darn did that workout get hard as time went on. I like the 15 minute recovery of Pavel's program. Never did it but did try the Armstrong Pull-up Program many years ago. Don't think it gave me the rep count growth I wanted.

http://armstrongpullupprogram.com/