What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    6/21/2019 - first day of summer

#1 - weighted bar dips with 20kg KB start new round every 3:00 - 7 rounds of 5 reps and 1 round of 4 reps = 39 bar dips in 21:19.

#2 = weighted alternating pull-ups and chin-ups with 24kg KB start new round every 3:00 - 8 rounds of 3 reps = 24 reps in 22:14 - started 8th round longer than 3:00 due to phone call - felt strong, wasn’t expecting 3 rep rounds for all 8 rounds but got them all! Hanging in there performance on latter rounds to tap chin to bar on 3rd rep made me proud, bottom line, a good pull-ups and chin-ups day.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi, hope I can jump right into this thread. I'm hoping to gain some new workout ideas. Today was a double day. 45 minutes of Hot Yoga (a lot of twists and balance poses) followed by 35 minutes of kickboxing. This was my first ever kickboxing class and I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow. I'm debating on if I should cancel my 8 am spin class or tough it out. Also got in a 1-mile walk with the kids before the storms came through.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Novice 4+ at NW Masters Regionals - we got 2nd!

The water was really flat which was nice and we had a great cox. The start was interesting. The ref started us way faster than I expected. It worked out but I was like "oh wow, I wasn't expecting that just now". And then our cox, who I just said was great, didn't call us to settle (take our stroke rate down). Thankfully I was counting and did the settle myself. Also the rest of the boat followed me which was even better.

So yeah, great race. My club did really well overall today. Most of boats in the sculling races medaled and our women's novice 4+ came in 3rd. I have one more race tomorrow (mixed 8+ which I'm also stroke in) and then I'm done for the weekend. I'll probably come down Sunday to cheer people on, but we'll see.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

The water was really flat which was nice and we had a great cox. The start was interesting. The ref started us way faster than I expected. It worked out but I was like "oh wow, I wasn't expecting that just now". And then our cox, who I just said was great, didn't call us to settle (take our stroke rate down). Thankfully I was counting and did the settle myself. Also the rest of the boat followed me which was even better.

So yeah, great race. My club did really well overall today. Most of boats in the sculling races medaled and our women's novice 4+ came in 3rd. I have one more race tomorrow (mixed 8+ which I'm also stroke in) and then I'm done for the weekend. I'll probably come down Sunday to cheer people on, but we'll see.

Heartiest congratulations: That's really wonderful. Glad it was so much fun and rewarding! :):flowerforyou:
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

Heartiest congratulations: That's really wonderful. Glad it was so much fun and rewarding! :):flowerforyou:

Thanks Ann!
  • msshelagh
    msshelagh Posts: 18 Member
    Running: 5K
    Walking 15 minutes to cool down
    Yoga 30 minutes
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Push day (chest, shoulders, triceps, and then threw in some ab work and about 10mins of cardio) :smiley:
    a5dfyo4ngwrs.jpg
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Went to a women's fitness festival today, so not my usual Saturday routine.

1mile very easy run to ease legs

30 min divacise- like a milder form of zumba
    30min zumba - I'm biased but not as high intensity as my usual class
    30 min clubercise- now this was high intensity and I loved it.
    40min bounce - felt like insanity on a trampoline, found it really hard.
    40min yoga - first time doing actual yoga, but between the piyo I have been doing and stretching with my trainer I actually knew all the moves.

Had a health check while I was there and apart from being overweight (which they said they would ignore do to my obvious muscle mass and loose skin) my results where all great (although if I had been less active they might have told me to see the dr about my low resting heart rate) and my cholesterol levels are fabulous.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    45 minutes spin today. A lot of jumps and sprints. At the end, some people were talking about weak cores and somehow all of ended up on mats doing ab workouts for 5 ish minutes. Let's see if I can remember- bicycles, v ups, dead bugs, toe tap and something that was similar to Russian twists but you were almost (butt on mat, heels close to butt) in a bridge position. My core sucks and I really need to work on that.
  • dvmmcw3094
    dvmmcw3094 Posts: 107 Member
    Treadmill
    3.25 miles 38 minutes
  • pierinifitness
    6/22/2019 - early afternoon at park -

#1 - Double KB carries complex with a pair of 20kg KB - 0:15 each carry and 0:05 transition to next carry - #1 = double waiters walk + #2 and #3 = waiters walk offset rack carry R and L + #4 = double rack carry + #5 and #6 = rack carry offset suitcase carry R and L + #7-#9 = double suitcase carry x 3 equal 3:00 round, walking active rest 3:00 and repeat for 2 rounds in 9:36 - first time doing this, got it from Chandler Marchman's YouTube Channel - planned on 3 rounds but only 2 rounds today, 3 rounds next time - the 0:15 carry and 0:05 transition was perfect.

Got the workout idea from Chandler Marchman's YouTube Channel and slightly modified it, here is how he does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcg4tu_DGk

#2 = walk 1 hour = 3.22 miles.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Kayaking and hiking today. Had an awesome day. :)

Planning a long bike ride tomorrow.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    6/22/2019 - early afternoon at park -

#1 - Double KB carries complex with a pair of 20kg KB - 0:15 each carry and 0:05 transition to next carry - #1 = double waiters walk + #2 and #3 = waiters walk offset rack carry R and L + #4 = double rack carry + #5 and #6 = rack carry offset suitcase carry R and L + #7-#9 = double suitcase carry x 3 equal 3:00 round, walking active rest 3:00 and repeat for 2 rounds in 9:36 - first time doing this, got it from Chandler Marchman's YouTube Channel - planned on 3 rounds but only 2 rounds today, 3 rounds next time - the 0:15 carry and 0:05 transition was perfect.

Got the workout idea from Chandler Marchman's YouTube Channel and slightly modified it, here is how he does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcg4tu_DGk

#2 = walk 1 hour = 3.22 miles.

lately, I've been dong farmer's walks..... but with just one dumbbell

the drill:

Pick up a 75 Lb. Dumbbell from the rack with my right hand and walk the entire length of the gym.

set it down and turn around

Pick it up with my left hand and walk back to the rack and rack the dumbbell

( those people who don't rack their weights are the same people who steal parking spots and stiff waitresses when tipping. )

repeat 3 more times.

it's good for both one's core and grip-strength
  • pierinifitness
    @Motorsheen I call one arm suitcase carry and two arm farmer carry although I didn’t in my post. 75 lbs. is no joke and will light fire to the core. Good job, keep up the good work.
  • jburke113
    jburke113 Posts: 2 Member
    Swam laps for 60 minutes
  • aokoye
    edited June 2019
    Second day of the NW Masters Rowing Championships. I was in a mixed 8, our B boat (that was amusingly called the A boat on paper...) in the race. We rowed a really good race against mostly non-novice boats. We also totally walked on one of the novice boats that was there. I stroked the race again - my coach jokingly said that I stole it from one of the novice women who is in a similar place as I am with regards to her quick development (I think she's been rowing handful of months more than I have). I initially had her as coxing but wanted to wait to see how my men's 4 went.

Our cox was amazing! He coxes his D1 university's women's varsity 8 crew. His calls were so. good. And I mean, all of our coxes for this regatta are great and I've been coxed by three of the six that we're using, but this was so good. Note, he isn't the most experienced, that goes to the person who coxed my men's 4+ and has coxed at the US Olympic trials multiple times (and is probably AnnPT's age). A lot of our other boats had good races as well, especially our women's AA* 8+, men's F 2-, and our mixed E 2x, all of whom got first by over 9 seconds age adjusted.

*AA, F, and E (among other letters) are age categories that are used in masters rowing more on that here.
    More information on boat classes, specifically on things like, "so what is a 2- anyways?" can be found on this handy Wikipedia page (a 2- is a coxless pair - two rowers each with one oar in a very tippy rowing shell). Also "mixed" in this context means men and women are rowing in the same boat.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sunday

Early morning run.
    Got up at 5am to get my long run in before it gets too warm. Ran just under 8miles, taking in the route of a 5 miler I'm doing next month plus there and back. I'm particularly proud of myself that after yesterdays efforts, I ran the whole way without stopping or walking. When I did the actual race last year I had to take walk breaks on both uphill sections, today I didn't. And despite it being an easy pace it was faster than I ran it last year.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Swam a mile and straight to a 10k run. Essentially 2/3 of an Olympic Tri. Sunday is 45 minutes of circuit training followed by a 2.5 hour bike ride.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Friday- 60 minute Krav Maga class
    Saturday- 2 mile kids obstacle course mud run with my son. Not too demanding but fun!
    Sunday- 2 mile dog walk, nature walk with son planned for later
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    14 mile bike ride