What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    8/14/2019 - 103F degrees outside so I took an almost-senior pass and did the following workout in my bare-bones spare office gym:

Bar dips x 5 plus 4-count step-up and step-down using a 12-inch step x 25 equals one round - completed 20 rounds (100 bar dips and 500 step-ups) in 26:35 - average HR = 138 bpm (77 percent) maximum HR = 155 bpm (86 percent) total 301 calories.

Did work up a sweat despite doing this workout in a comfortable air-conditioned office. I could have muscled an outdoor workout but don't have anything to prove to myself that I haven't already proved. Feels good that I did something, I was teetering on taking a pass today.

💪🏼🤙🏻❤️
  • JenasyJen
    JenasyJen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I swam/ tread water for about an hour.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Finally back to Krav Maga after 12 rest days due to a bad cold and sinus infection. Great to be back and I hung in there!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    8/15
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (3 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 5 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation B - 5 Rounds
    Strength
    Single Arm Standing Overhead Press - 30lbs x 12 / 40lbs x 8
    Conditioning
    Jumprope - 300 skips x 2
    Meditate
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tried my hand at some hill sprints today. My goal is to increase my cardiovascular endurance. This was made a lot more fun by racing with my 9 year old. He beat me every time😊
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    30 min on the elliptical with increasing intensity with max HR the last 2 minutes.
    Legs/core ST after that for about 60 minutes.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    1 mile warm-up jog

20 minute AMRAP
    5x jump squats
    10x walking lunges (total - 5 per leg)
    15x knee drives (like mountain climbers but slow)

1 mile cool-down jog

Got 15 total rounds in on the AMRAP. It got old around 10 minutes in. Last 5 minutes went quickly.
  • Amella21
    Amella21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill and had a short shoulder workout! Felt awesome!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thursday

30min trx session with trainer, pretty much full body

6 mile easy pace run

45 min circuits class - lots of running and burpees
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    2 mile wake up run with the doggie then a 45 minute Piyo class at the gym
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    50 minutes of intervals. Not a great performance day. Classic example of working too hard yesterday on my easy day and not being able to work hard enough today. Did 2 1500 rowing intervals, another 1000 and a few 500s and then did one 5 minute interval on the bike. Tried to do another and couldn't go past 3 minutes hard. Felt a bit defeated but this is pretty common if you workout too hard the day before.

To review how this could happen thinking about it -- went out too hard on Sunday for 90 minutes. Not too bad but lost control a few times and pushed when I shouldn't have.

Monday -- great hard day/solid performance.

Tuesday - good slower day, kept in control.

Wed - lost control half way and pushed way too hard on what was supposed to be a light day.

Today - hard day planned and only managed around 60% of what was planned. Not particularly good performance.

80/20 plans, polarized plans, look easy to implement. They are not. Requires more discipline than I have at times. Good news is that tomorrow is a light day and I'll make it a really light recovery day and just enjoy it. Saturday is my off day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    Spin class, zone 3/4 mostly.
    <snip-o>
    80/20 plans, polarized plans, look easy to implement. They are not. Requires more discipline than I have at times. Good news is that tomorrow is a light day and I'll make it a really light recovery day and just enjoy it. Saturday is my off day.

May I recommend laziness as a strategic option? :lol:

Harder for you than me, but doing hard things is character building, right? ;)

Seriously: I admire what you're doing, Mike. :drinker:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    <snip-o>

Thanks Ann. Hate to admit, but I'm watching some friends that I was actually a stronger Indoor rower than set some PBs that were similar to some of my 2019 goals that I had to table for this year. A bit green with envy and somewhat suprised that 5 to 6 months off and a back injury could set my performance back years, it seems. And then I realize that it's all about motivating myself to stay healthy and I'm certainly doing well on that front.

I'm consistent if nothing else... I also have to remember I only started rowing harder again 2 months ago. That's not that long. And I'm impatient, not a great quality for longer recoveries. Back also isn't worse for the wear, which is huge with all this harder stuff I've been doing. Might be a deload week next week and take up lazy for one week!
  • soniasharma2
    soniasharma2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    0.8 mile run

3 rounds:
    25 jumping jacks
    20 body weight squats
    15 good morning
    10 sit ups

100 mountain climbers w/ foot band
    75 goblet squats w/ 15 lbs
    80 single arm shoulder press w/ 15 lbs
    75 goblet squats w/ 15 lbs
    100 mountain climbers w/ foot band

0.8 mile run uphill
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Treadmill 6mile. 50min.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Leg press 3x10
    Kinesis chest press 3x10
    Kinesis seated row 3x10
    Cable tricep pushdown 1x15
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    <snip-o>

Thanks Ann. Hate to admit, but I'm watching some friends that I was actually a stronger Indoor rower than set some PBs that were similar to some of my 2019 goals that I had to table for this year. A bit green with envy and somewhat suprised that 5 to 6 months off and a back injury could set my performance back years, it seems. And then I realize that it's all about motivating myself to stay healthy and I'm certainly doing well on that front.

I'm consistent if nothing else... I also have to remember I only started rowing harder again 2 months ago. That's not that long. And I'm impatient, not a great quality for longer recoveries. Back also isn't worse for the wear, which is huge with all this harder stuff I've been doing. Might be a deload week next week and take up lazy for one week!

Recovering from injury sucks a lot, that's for sure. It's very humbling. I think in some ways it's nice that I wasn't a competitive athlete when I was dealing with the vast majority of my major surgeries of injuries. That said, the recovery from my knee surgeries was very long each time. That said, I think what is the most important thing and what all of those surgeries have taught me is that you have to be patient. It sucks, I know. Trust me, I know. You can't go back and change the past, thus my general attitude is making sure I do everything I can to get better/stronger/faster without hurting myself. Sometimes that means being slow.

---
    I didn't end up going to rowing today because my finger is still sore from my crash on Tuesday. It's significantly better than it was and it's getting better very quickly, but there's no point in trying to push it. I'd rather play it safe and wait to row on Saturday instead of make things worse. I've also learned that tegaderm (or the Rite-Aid version of it) is absurdly difficult to deal with when on a knee that isn't immobilized. I think I'm just going to get some in bulk from Amazon.

Given the lack of rowing today, I did a recovery workout on the bike inside. I stayed under 55% of my FTP which was the goal. It was rather boring, or at the very least tedious, despite watching TV the entire time.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    8/15/2019

Rest day.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Bouldering for 60 minutes. I didn't get any new routes, but I got all my recent successes again. I also got significantly higher on a project, a V3 crimpy affair. I was near the top when my grip suddenly and unexpectedly failed. Next time...
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Friday - yayday

Taking it fairly easy today, got a half on Sunday followed by a bootcamp week with my trainer (seriously intense with an hour of training a day plus classes plus home/solo workouts plus meal plan)

30 min being stretched out by trainer, painful but I know I feel so much better after

2mile easy/recovery run

45min total body conditioning class