What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Day 5 of my bootcamp week and the last of my 1hr PT sessions.

5 mile cycle ride to and from PT.

1hr PT, along the estuary in an area known as the walls, with some sprints, plus using the benches along the way for various exercises including step ups split squats, press up, tricep dips and more.

Walk to and from a class with my boys, 2 miles each way.

45min total body conditioning class, focusing on legs.

Gym workout-
    Warm up on elliptical, rower and treadmill.

Interval run on treadmill, going really hard in the intervals. 30sec on/15sec off
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    Just the row in the double, so far. Messed up setting the Garmin (WTH 2ce in 2 days?!?), but it had to have been 8.4km or so, based on river knowledge.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    I did Cardio X (p90x).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    5k done. My split was 2:04.2 which, after some random digging, is 4 seconds off of my PB from last November. Things that could be improved:
    Consistency
    Having a better plan

I think that erging on a regular basis would also bring my split down and I'm sure the PB from last year was helped by the fact that I was doing it with a bunch of other people (like, 25+ people I'd assume).

I'll start the pete 5k plan next week and see how that works. This is complicated by me wanting to finish the Zwift Academy. I'll have to do some fun scheduling stuff to work that out. It ends in a month and I have 7 more rides to do, one of which I'll due Sunday.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    edited August 2019
    @ Aokoye - now you have a recent benchmark. That's great. It will come down with practice. The main advantage of the erg (about the only one aside from conditioning) is getting used to the pain. I know many OTW rowers that simply detest the erg, rightfully so. Especially former college crew. I tried to recruit one DI Ivy League Rower to my Indoor club and his words were, "that erg is is the devil! Never!". He said all his rowing days will be relaxed on the water, never in a gym or boathouse again. But why do all colleges use the erg? It teaches discipline, stroke metrics and pain management. If you can do a 4 X 2K, a 2K TT is nothing. If you can manage an hour hard, 5K isn't that hard. I'd be cautious with too much erg time until your OTW season is over. You're putting in quite a lot of meters already. Just have fun for now with the Zwift.

Today was pretty proud of myself. It was a Steady State day and I really needed a recovery row. The issue is, I'm terrible at keeping controlled enough (at least on the indoor rower) to keep my HR at 75% of Max or under. Ideally on recovery work, I like to keep between 65% and 70% of max. I did two 29 minute interval blocks with 1:30 rest and it worked out great. Low DF also to keep the HR in check. Tedious to say the least but my max ended up 75%.

First interval 2:30 pace and second one 2:32 pace. Both @ 16 SPM, which is as slow as I've ever managed to go for an hour.

fvazaeiokf37.png
  • aokoye
    There was also somewhere in the first 2k where I was like, "I could just stop..." to which I responded "No, you really can't." That happened again before 2,500 to which my response to myself was, "well if you stop now then you have no choice but to do another one and you'll dread that one even more."
  • aokoye
    @ Aokoye - now you have a recent benchmark. That's great. It will come down with practice. The main advantage of the erg (about the only one aside from conditioning) is getting used to the pain. I know many OTW rowers that simply detest the erg, rightfully so. Especially former college crew. I tried to recruit one DI Ivy League Rower to my Indoor club and his words were, "that erg is is the devil! Never!". He said all his rowing days will be relaxed on the water, never in a gym or boathouse again. But why do all colleges use the erg? It teaches discipline, stroke metrics and pain management. If you can do a 4 X 2K, a 2K TT is nothing. If you can manage an hour hard, 5K isn't that hard. I'd be cautious with too much erg time until your OTW season is over. You're putting in quite a lot of meters already. Just have fun for now with the Zwift.

Today was pretty proud of myself. It was a Steady State day and I really needed a recovery row. The issue is, I'm terrible at keeping controlled enough (at least on the indoor rower) to keep my HR at 75% of Max or under. Ideally on recovery work, I like to keep between 65% and 70% of max. I did two 29 minute interval blocks with 1:30 rest and it worked out great. Low DF also to keep the HR in check. Tedious to say the least but my max ended up 75%.

First interval 2:30 pace and second one 2:32 pace. Both @ 16 SPM, which is as slow as I've ever managed to go for an hour.

fvazaeiokf37.png

Thanks Mike! There are a ton of very good rowers in my club who more or less refuse to erg over the winter. They'll do other aerobic activities, but erging? Not so much. I suspect what I'll do between now and the end of rowing on the water on the weekdays is erg once a week. Steady state-ish, maybe some intervals if I'm feeling especially bored. I will say, erging is great for getting in podcast episodes that I want to listen to ;)

Well done on the steady state today! I know that forcing yourself to do recovery rows can be hard. That's maybe one of the best things that no one talks about with regards to making workouts Zwift or doing them on TrainerRoad. You're more or less forced to do a recovery ride if that's what you've set up. TrainerRoad actually allows much less latitude in terms of how it controls your trainer where as Zwift is more gamified, giving you points and stars if you stay within X percentage of the target watts for a given interval.
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    Light day - started with 25min of body-weight floor exercise (pushups, pelvic lifts, hip abductors, planks) then stopped at gym for 10 min on rowing machine and 20min HIIT on the ellipse.
  • FatButtFunny
    FatButtFunny Posts: 22 Member
    I mowed my lawn!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    60 minute Krav Maga class. My first time sparring. Intense!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    9.6mi trail run to 11,000ft. 3,300ft of climbing.
    34t46qu5ikh6.jpeg
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/23/2019 - rest day.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Legs and Back, ab work, yoga and handstands!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    1 mile walk warmup
    Squats 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Saturday.

Day 6 of my bootcamp week, no PT today but did my last class of the week.

1mile run down to bootcamp to keep.my running streak going.

1hr bootcamp, we did bootcamp on the beach today, the same one I've been occasionally having PT on (including wednesday). Much harder work than normal, and seriously felt it in my already tired legs.

Took my boys to the leisure pool for "swimming" fun. This seemed to mostly involve me walking through the water making sure they didn't drown along with lifting them out of the water and on to the slide and then hoisting myself up on it. For 2 hours.
  • aokoye
    18km rowing on the water. Today was our last row from our current dock/boat house. I'm still doing a lot of working on backing in the blade which is getting consistently better.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    45 min SoulCycle, 25 min arms and one lonely plank.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited August 2019
    8/24/2019 - late morning into the noon hour at park.

#1- alternating pull-ups and chin-ups x 3 with 20kg KB every 3:00 for 11 rounds completed in 28:45 - average HR = 75 bpm (42 percent) maximum HR = 96 bpm (53 percent) total 94 calories. All reps slow and controlled with good full range form.

#2 - double OHP with pair of 24kg KB - every 3:00 2-2-3-3-3-3-3-3 then every 1:30 2-2-2-2 = 30 reps in 28:45 - average HR = 101 bpm (56 percent) maximum HR = 138 bpm (77 percent) total 176 calories. Off a little with these, felt heavy.

#3 -1 mile timed run = 7:50 - average HR = 158 bpm (88 percent) maximum HR = 166 bpm (92 percent) total 106 calories. Goal is 7:30 by first day of fall. Wanted to do on an all-weather track, next time.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    7.9k rowing bow in a quad (i.e., sculling boat, 2 oars per person, 4 rowers).

I was in bow, which means (in our club) that I was responsible for keeping us from running into things/steering, and did a lot of shouting (because otherwise the person at the far end of the boat wouldn't be able to hear. Steering happens by rower(s) rowing harder on one side or the other - no rudder in this case. Bow is also the rower that can see everyone, so more responsible for pointing out . . . hmmm, improvement opportunities, let's call them. ;).

Today, the rower in 2 seat (right in front of me) was an anthro prof emeritus who was a huge help to me and some of my friends when we started rowing around 16 years ago, but who hasn't been able to row in a while because of major shoulder issues. He thinks he won't be able to solo carry his single any more, so I encouraged him to come out when my group rows, and we'll help him with the carry. (Non-rowers: Single shell is light, usually just over 31 pounds for a racer, but quite awkward: Typically around 26 feet long, and skinny.) This was his first time back on the water in several years, so the quad was to give him a little more stable situation for a first row. He's been doing bike rides, but we still took more breaks than usual to help him ease back into it. It was good to have him back! :)
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    7.9k rowing bow in a quad (i.e., sculling boat, 2 oars per person, 4 rowers).

I was in bow, which means (in our club) that I was responsible for keeping us from running into things/steering, and did a lot of shouting (because otherwise the person at the far end of the boat wouldn't be able to hear. Steering happens by rower(s) rowing harder on one side or the other - no rudder in this case. Bow is also the rower that can see everyone, so more responsible for pointing out . . . hmmm, improvement opportunities, let's call them. ;).

Today, the rower in 2 seat (right in front of me) was an anthro prof emeritus who was a huge help to me and some of my friends when we started rowing around 16 years ago, but who hasn't been able to row in a while because of major shoulder issues. He thinks he won't be able to solo carry his single any more, so I encouraged him to come out when my group rows, and we'll help him with the carry. (Non-rowers: Single shell is light, usually just over 31 pounds for a racer, but quite awkward: Typically around 26 feet long, and skinny.) This was his first time back on the water in several years, so the quad was to give him a little more stable situation for a first row. He's been doing bike rides, but we still took more breaks than usual to help him ease back into it. It was good to have him back! :)
    I am so bad at carrying singles...so bad. Well no ok, I'm terrible at getting them to a point where I can actually walk with them, once I'm at that point then I'm fine, getting it on my shoulder? Hah. One day I'll be able to do it without someone walking me through it.