Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    10 miles | 31:16
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga belt test last night. Very tough but I felt better than during my stripe test earlier this week. And I passed!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Almost 12km in an 8 this morning with my favorite cox and a stroke that I really like as well (they're both two of my favorite people in my club). Basically our workout was rowing, rowing, and more rowing - lots of steady state. After our warmup the only times we stopped were to turn. All of our "off" was pause drills and quarter feather (full boat...went better than I thought it would).

My blade work is getting better and now I'm starting to shift my focus to work on that and body position stuff during the drive ( @AnnPT77 - not opening my body up too early during the drive). I'm also reminded that it's so much easier for me to put power through the oar(s) when I'm sculling as opposed to sweep.

I'm on the very edge of what having an unmanageable training load primarily because my sleep has taken a nosedive. My sleep schedule got off at some point earlier this summer and it has yet to recover. It's only being compounded by my anxiety. I'm only going to do two bike rides this week I think and then I have a regatta this weekend (one of three head races I'm doing).
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    got my 10k steps in yesterday, and a 15 min session on the rowing machine. weight workout tonight, and my usual 10k today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    More intense than usual spin class (substitute instructor who's a firecracker ;) ), with multiple visits to HR > 85% (by heart rate reserve; 90%+ straight percentage), so getting a little HIIT-y :lol: . Good fun!

Here's the bad thing: I was watching HR on the bike monitor, didn't realize I failed to hit the Garmin's start button after selecting indoor biking, so I lack complete data to feel all warm and fuzzy about. :( With no exercise recording, the HR sampling isn't granular enough to satisfy. I did blow past 2x my default 150 weekly active minutes goal, with several days left in the week, so there's that. ;)
    aokoye wrote: »
    Almost 12km in an 8 this morning with my favorite cox and a stroke that I really like as well (they're both two of my favorite people in my club). Basically our workout was rowing, rowing, and more rowing - lots of steady state. After our warmup the only times we stopped were to turn. All of our "off" was pause drills and quarter feather (full boat...went better than I thought it would).

My blade work is getting better and now I'm starting to shift my focus to work on that and body position stuff during the drive ( @AnnPT77 - not opening my body up too early during the drive). I'm also reminded that it's so much easier for me to put power through the oar(s) when I'm sculling as opposed to sweep.

I'm on the very edge of what having an unmanageable training load primarily because my sleep has taken a nosedive. My sleep schedule got off at some point earlier this summer and it has yet to recover. It's only being compounded by my anxiety. I'm only going to do two bike rides this week I think and then I have a regatta this weekend (one of three head races I'm doing).

Sounds like you're getting some great tech work in, Aokoye: Good show! I think SS volume can be pretty helpful . . . for me, at least, if there starts to be a little fatigue in the picture, it's easier for me to feel what's efficient (until there's so much volume that burnout kicks in ;) ).

To the bolded: Gotta love those long levers! Even with that, I have to say I think there's a practice/repetition factor in there. I used to do more sweep than sculling; now I do very, very little sweep and lots of sculling. I feel like I get better power application all the way through the stroke when sculling, now. There isn't that long-lever thrill, but now I'm not as good at keeping steady connection with the body rotation in there: I can feel more "unweighting" on the seat from catch to finish when sculling. And that's not even getting into the myriad other sweep-specific tech faults that have crept in with lack of practice. :lol::lol::lol:

Kudos for the self-insight and invoking a good self-care plan, too. Hope you have a great race! :)
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Today will be chest. Bench/incline DB/cable flyes/sledge tire hits as cool down
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did my first 5K TT today in quite a while (last one was January when I hurt my back). I had to complete one before the end of the month and if I didn't do it today, I would have had to change my schedule to accomodate, so there was pressure to finish one today.

Overall, pretty pleased getting this in. Negative splits too. I don't think I could have done much better at this stage of my recovery, so I'm happy. These are terrible to do. Absolutely hell.

vzgt49fmu6id.png
    q2xnnzmdi0id.png

• RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles run... well okay... jog walk... but hey.. I am walking less and running more.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thursday fun.

30min boxing session with personal trainer. I asked if we could do a boxing workout and what I got was a proper beasting, burning 320 Calories in 30min. We did a selection of different bits, including giving my brain a bit of a workout, all very cardio based. My elbow coped well, no pain and I was able to give it a bit of welly.

Very short (1.3 mile) run to keep my streak going.

Tabata - 30min lots of burpees

Barbell - after just using the empty bar for upper body last week I added the lightest plates this week. Still wasnt allowed to do the tricep track though so ended up doing 3 bum tracks (glute bridges with feet on a chair including some single leg)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    More intense than usual spin class (substitute instructor who's a firecracker ;) ), with multiple visits to HR > 85% (by heart rate reserve; 90%+ straight percentage), so getting a little HIIT-y :lol: . Good fun!

Here's the bad thing: I was watching HR on the bike monitor, didn't realize I failed to hit the Garmin's start button after selecting indoor biking, so I lack complete data to feel all warm and fuzzy about. :( With no exercise recording, the HR sampling isn't granular enough to satisfy. I did blow past 2x my default 150 weekly active minutes goal, with several days left in the week, so there's that. ;)
    aokoye wrote: »

Sounds like you're getting some great tech work in, Aokoye: Good show! I think SS volume can be pretty helpful . . . for me, at least, if there starts to be a little fatigue in the picture, it's easier for me to feel what's efficient (until there's so much volume that burnout kicks in ;) ).

To the bolded: Gotta love those long levers! Even with that, I have to say I think there's a practice/repetition factor in there. I used to do more sweep than sculling; now I do very, very little sweep and lots of sculling. I feel like I get better power application all the way through the stroke when sculling, now. There isn't that long-lever thrill, but now I'm not as good at keeping steady connection with the body rotation in there: I can feel more "unweighting" on the seat from catch to finish when sculling. And that's not even getting into the myriad other sweep-specific tech faults that have crept in with lack of practice. :lol::lol::lol:

Kudos for the self-insight and invoking a good self-care plan, too. Hope you have a great race! :)

Thanks! Yeah it's so wild to me how much easier it is for me to put significantly more power through the boat when I'm sculling. It's mind boggling especially because I'm so new at it. It feels like it's much more natural for my body to do physically. I wouldn't say that I'm especially talented or anything - I am very much a novice, but when I'm feeling confident it feels much better to me than sweep. Now if I could get around my anxiety... ;) At some point this fall I'm going to row in a double with one of my friends who is also one of the LTR instructors and that should be good. I row much better when I trust the other person/people (not shocking, I know).

And yea - I try to really stay on top of the physical self care. I probably try harder on my mental health care, but physical self care is easier for me for a whole slew of reasons. If I get too far into the red I will probably end up getting sick and then I'll have to take at least a week off of everything, if not more. Monday afternoon I made the decision to stop going to Monday practices (which are novice only) which I feel a bit guilty about with regards to being a team player. That said, when I go on Monday I get too worked up anxiety wise and then I won't go to sculling on Tuesday. Missing sculling ends up being far more detrimental, skill wise, than any sweep practice, but especially novice sweep practices. That and the day off from rowing leaves me more excited to go to sculling on Tuesday. It's a fine balance but I'm getting there.

Of course by the end of the month weekday morning practices will stop being a thing and then it's erging. That will be significantly easier emotionally and means that I get to wake up later, but will be an interesting juggling act with regards to erging and cycling.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stretching, warm-up and pool swim for about an hour. Heading off to the gym next for lower body/leg work!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    10 miles | 30:58
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Friday yayday

1hour leg burning stair workout in PT wearing weighted vest. Bit of cardio, bit of muscular endurance and bit of boxing

30 min run. 15min warm up and then intervals of 3min fast 90sec recover.

45min total body conditioning.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Second workout on Thursday was an hour weight lifting session at the gym. Didn't feel too bad because I only did 21 minutes hard on the rower yesterday. Feels nice going around the gym just getting a superset, full-body workout. Think I did 6 sets of chest, 5 or so of shoulders, several ab sets and tons of leg sets. Managed to get in some KB swings too. A bit sore today but not too bad.

For some of you guys that lift more than I do, I have a question. I can't do heavy bar work (my back won't tolerate it) but my legs are fairly strong. I do have a Plyo box at home and heavy KBs and Dumbbells. I like body weight work. Been thinking about getting a "Sissy Squat" machine. Something like this one. What is your opinions on Sissy Squats and will they help you build significantly more power?

https://www.amazon.com/X-Factor-Sissy-Squat-3-1/dp/B07L3ZYK93/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=sissy+squat+machine&qid=1569588549&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-6
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    9/27
    am
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations - 8 Rounds
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - GTG
    5 x 1 (5)
    Pull-ups - GTG
    5 x 8 (40)
    Cossack Squat
    5 x 8 (40)
    Meditate

noon
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Strength
    Pull-up - E2MOM (27m50s)
    5 reps every 1m50s (75)
    *Jumprope in-between sets

pm
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (15 rounds each rite working towards 21)

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Today was upper body strength training class.

Warm up
    - Wrist mobility exercises
    - Shoulder mobility exercises
    - 60 sec scapular pull ups
    - 60 wall handstand hold

Then
    - 8 rounds of front levers on the rings
    - 8 rounds of band assisted tuck planches
    - 5 rounds of barbell rows
    - 5 rounds of seated overhead dumbbell press
    - hanging leg raise

A good solid workout
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Slow Steady (recovery pretty much) Indoor Row today -- 28.5 minutes X 2 w/ a 1:30 minute rest. A bit over 11K meters. HR Max of right at 75% of Max HR, so that was good. Just drained a bit after yesterday. I struggled a bit with such a slow workout. I can tell I need a day off tomorrow. Good thing it's planned.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    7k rowing the double, some power pieces, not lots; a little rain, a little wind; random half-a**ed boat repairs, a little on my double, mostly on a club single.

A fine time was had by all. ;)
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    bench presses
    squats
    cable rows

i'm wondering if anyone has advice on squats. the fitness center i use has no barbells. would i be better off doing squats with the smith machine, or with dumbbells?

also, using dumbbells for deadlifts...ugh. but i have no alternatives (that i can think of).

i've only been strength training for about 9 months so i'm still using a beginner program (jay's)