What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    30 September
    Bouldering, 2.5 hours. This was a great session. I got stacks of v3s, and a couple of v4s.

1 October
    I attempted to go swimming, but the pool turned out to be shut due to a leak. So I did the scuba club accounts instead (I am the treasurer, and the AGM is approaching.)

It was a bit disappointing.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 11x3
    Bench 11x3
    Rows 11x3
    Shoulder press 11x3
    Bicep curls 11x3
    Leg press 11x3
    2.5 mile run
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    After two days of rainouts on the rowing front (grrrrr.), spin class today. I feel so. much. better.

Just for the sake of my own curiosity, what constitutes a rainout for you? I live in the land of lots of rain so for us thunderstorms are the tipping point. The whole long carbon vessel on a body of water thing ;)
  • aokoye
    Options
    I signed up for a weight lifting class at my alma mater/the place I'm taking post bacc French classes from. It's both a method to force myself to lift weights and also a way to bump up my credit load to the minimum for health insurance (that I use a lot of).

Today was learning (or trying to learn...) the correct form for squats and overhead presses. I can't say it's the most enjoyable thing I've ever done, but I am glad I'm doing it. I have enough motivation to try to work on my form with a broom handle at home.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm trying out LISS cardio to supplement weight training, so 45 minutes on the elliptical today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    After two days of rainouts on the rowing front (grrrrr.), spin class today. I feel so. much. better.

Just for the sake of my own curiosity, what constitutes a rainout for you? I live in the land of lots of rain so for us thunderstorms are the tipping point. The whole long carbon vessel on a body of water thing ;)

Depends on time of year, and heaviness of rain (and other random stuff like wind strength and direction).

Keep in mind, I row for fun. So I don't row if it doesn't seem fun. And there's no team, to which I've committed, depending on me to fill my seat, either: Different conditions. I row single or double, occasionally quad, with others who are also rowing mostly for fun. (When I was training to race, I'd row in worse conditions, especially when in the thick of race prep.)

So: It's Fall here, and getting chillier. Now, moderate, steady rain is enough to be not-fun. Misty light rain, if not too cold, maybe fine. Warm summer days, relatively more rain is OK. Hard enough rain to start filling the boat, to the point of rowing heavy (and a bit more dangerous), always a no. In strong wind, especially from East, more likely a no, even if warm.

Saturday was a line of thunderstorms looking to hit us mid-row, but short in duration. Lightning is a hard no. We thought about waiting, but later-day commitments interfered. Monday was not supposed to rain, but we got there and it was a moderate steady rain, kind of cool temp, East wind, dock slippery, looked like it was going to on and on. Today, steady rain and cool, for the 3rd cancel in a row.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    45 minutes today on the rower. Cardio/endurance felt great. It was a Steady State (slow, steady) day. Butt not so much. Got sore and, though I was supposed to go an hour, I decided to cut it short. I'm still, after five years of rowing, trying to figure out how to do lots of meters per week and not get chaffed. I think it was my shorts today. I might play around with trying a different cushion. Nothing bad today, just started to get irritated and I said it's not worth it.
  • aokoye
    Options

Depends on time of year, and heaviness of rain (and other random stuff like wind strength and direction).

Keep in mind, I row for fun. So I don't row if it doesn't seem fun. And there's no team, to which I've committed, depending on me to fill my seat, either: Different conditions. I row single or double, occasionally quad, with others who are also rowing mostly for fun. (When I was training to race, I'd row in worse conditions, especially when in the thick of race prep.)

So: It's Fall here, and getting chillier. Now, moderate, steady rain is enough to be not-fun. Misty light rain, if not too cold, maybe fine. Warm summer days, relatively more rain is OK. Hard enough rain to start filling the boat, to the point of rowing heavy (and a bit more dangerous), always a no. In strong wind, especially from East, more likely a no, even if warm.

Saturday was a line of thunderstorms looking to hit us mid-row, but short in duration. Lightning is a hard no. We thought about waiting, but later-day commitments interfered. Monday was not supposed to rain, but we got there and it was a moderate steady rain, kind of cool temp, East wind, dock slippery, looked like it was going to on and on. Today, steady rain and cool, for the 3rd cancel in a row.

That makes sense and is more or less what I figured. If I were rowing for fun my breaking point would likely be rainy enough for water to really start filling the boat and/or being too cold for comfort. So the gross that was my regatta on Sunday is poor enough weather for me to say no to rowing.

I also, however, live in a place that gets a lot of rain and I grew up with it. I am willing deal with a fair amount of rain. When I was riding my bike for fitness outside it was the same, otherwise there would be months of time when I wouldn't be riding my bike despite it being well above freezing.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day

No PT this morning but...

Interval run including twice up the hill I've challenged myself to run up for 30 days in October. Managed a pr and a pretty good pace.

45min of cardio, bit on bike, bit on stair master and bit on rower.

50min piyo was hard this week for some reason

45min disco zumba, yay wednesday evening zumba is back
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    45 minutes today on the rower. Cardio/endurance felt great. It was a Steady State (slow, steady) day. Butt not so much. Got sore and, though I was supposed to go an hour, I decided to cut it short. I'm still, after five years of rowing, trying to figure out how to do lots of meters per week and not get chaffed. I think it was my shorts today. I might play around with trying a different cushion. Nothing bad today, just started to get irritated and I said it's not worth it.

FWIW, Bodyglide helps, for me. (I'm sure competitor products would be equally fine.) A seat pad helps a little, but you may already be doing that. I think it's more from changing contact angles than padding per se.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Quick 2 mile walk before work this morning, 30 minute power yoga after work
  • aokoye
    Options

That makes sense and is more or less what I figured. If I were rowing for fun my breaking point would likely be rainy enough for water to really start filling the boat and/or being too cold for comfort. So the gross that was my regatta on Sunday is poor enough weather for me to say no to rowing.

I also, however, live in a place that gets a lot of rain and I grew up with it. I am willing deal with a fair amount of rain. When I was riding my bike for fitness outside it was the same, otherwise there would be months of time when I wouldn't be riding my bike despite it being well above freezing.

Replying to myself - I don't remember if I mentioned earlier however. My coach bought an portable [outdoor] campfire last week that he brought to the regatta and it was perhaps the best fire hazard ever. It was like this but with stay cool handles.

No rowing for me tomorrow - I'm officially sick.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stretching and warm-ups for 15 minutes, about 30 minutes total barbell weighted squats and deadlifts, kettle bell get-ups, and another hour of additional strength training, finished with stretching again.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    71:55 : 33km

Missed yesterday as I was re-tightening my pedals, I got up and my ankle felt wrong. I don't take risks like that, so called the night off. Ankle felt better an hour later, but not worth a risk. I know I'm pushing it doing so many miles so many days in a row. Feeling great though.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yoga first thing in the morning.

Then in the evening gymnastic strength training class focused on middle splits for an hour which involved:
    - Warm up
    - Frog stretch for 90
    - Side leg lifts
    - 3 rounds of 10 x horse stance dumbbell squat with a 10 sec pause at the bottom of the squat on the last rep
    - 3 rounds of 60 sec weighted straddle forward fold
    - 5 rounds of middle splits with 30 sec hold
    - 5 rounds of handstand accumulating 60 sec
    - 5 minute weighted pancake stretch

Once that was finished I winced a bit then staggered off to 90 minute ballet class which went surprising well.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

FWIW, Bodyglide helps, for me. (I'm sure competitor products would be equally fine.) A seat pad helps a little, but you may already be doing that. I think it's more from changing contact angles than padding per se.

Thanks Ann, I think you're right. Part of my issue (and why I'd be so challenged in OTW) is that my left leg is ridiculously stronger than my right. My right knee is absolute garbage. So when I row, I tend to scoot to the right with the left side pushing harder than the right. I suppose until I get a knee replacement, I won't be unilateral.

I do use Chamois Butt-r. It's similar to Glide. Great stuff. I also have a seat that's good, but not great (the one from Hornet sports, which is about as good as a pad for your seat gets). I'm probably going to switch to this seat soon. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. https://endurerow.com/product/endurerow-rowing-machine-seat/

I do think if your lean back is too exaggerated, or even if you stay back too long, and don't quickly return the hands, it also adds back into the equation. My form has gotten better and my rear along with it, but I've been putting in a lot of meters with my bike broken. This was just to the point of starting to get uncomfortable. It does tend to happen when (gross alert) when I'm sweating so bad my shorts are wet from the sweat. (For the non-rowers, this isn't uncommon with rowing). Something about wet shorts and rowing seats -- not a great combo!

Aoyoke - hope you feel better. Having lived in the Pacific NW and the Midwest, it's a different type of rain. Downpours and lightning are way more common in the Midwest. The stuff that the Pacific NW gets is just constant misting drizzle. Nasty stuff either way. We have the lightning beat here in Tucson with both of you! Monsoon season lightning is something else. Quite the show! But I'd never be caught out in a boat in it, not that we have much water around here!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    10/3
    am
    Yoga
    Sun Salutation - 10 Rounds
    5 Tibetan Rites (17 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Meditate

pm
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Strength
    Pull-up - 5 x 8 (40)
    Pike Press - 5 x 8 (40)
    Rear Lateral - 5 x 8 (40)
    Side Lateral - 5 x 8 (40)

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Burpee & plank circuit
    Squats
    Bulgarian split squats
    Crunches
    (For a total of ~50 minutes with my trainer this morning)

15 minutes elliptical

Will probably hurt really bad tomorrow if it's been anything like the last few sessions with my trainer. But I feel like I'm gaining strength quickly which is exciting! Looking forward to seeing that translate to changes in my body composition.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Just another spin class. And I got there a little late besides. :(
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A 36km walk, taking 56k steps. But I got my Garmin badge