Options

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thursday

Early morning PT, 30min of leg torture.
    45min bootcamp - tried this class on a whim as my PT was earlier than usual and it was starting as I got to the gym to stretch. Very tame compared to what I'm used to and no burpees.

25min progressive run, day 3 of my hill challenge and I have to say that the little voice telling me I cant is getting quieter.

No classes tonight so I went to the gym.
    Started with the new warm up I was given :
    400m run
    10 sit ups/Russian twists/toe taps
    300m run
    20 sit ups etc
    200m run
    30 sit ups etc
    100m run
    40 sit ups etc.

Then moved on to full body, light weight high rep rehabbing my elbow. Managed to progress to 3kg dumbbells for most upper exercises and 15kg bench. Did a few very light lat pull downs focussing on form. Some planks with feet on swiss ball, lunges and curtsy lunges. Only things I couldnt use any weight for were rotator cuff work, so definite progress.

Moved on to an hour of liss, 20min on bike, 10min on rower (whoop whoop, no pain, time to start increasing the resistance and putting a little more effort in).
    Finished off with 25min incline walking testing where my heart rate went, bit sad that I had to push to level 20 at 5kph to get in to warm up zone. I guess that's the downside of being fitter you have to work so much harder. Garmin only gave me half the calories the treadmill did.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Feeling more comfortable at feeling uncomfortable. Anaerobic Theshold day (hard, longish day) on the Indoor Rower. One more rep and it would have been a Max HR test. Didn't want to push that hard so did 3 eight minute reps with 2 minutes rest. You can see how the HR gets up there on these. I'm supposed to lift for an hour at the gym tonight, so I wanted to save something for that. Plus, I'm just getting used to doing a double workout on Thursday and this row was a very hard one.

7scbobfguhw4.jpg
    fb302huppuiq.png
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually swim today but it's really raining out, so took a stretching class instead and making it a rest day :smile:
  • angwright80
    angwright80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    3 mile walk tonight
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Friday yayday.

60min session with trainer, first half boxing and then a deep stretch ready for my last half of the year on Sunday.

3.25 mile run, continuing with the challenge to run up that blumming hill every day (except sunday). Slow one today, the doms from yesterday kicked in, ouch.

45 min total body conditioning, managed about 75% of the upper body work before my elbow started making itself known and I had to stop and do bum raises.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts 2x8, 1x6
    Incline dumbbell press 1x8, 2x7
    Leg curls 3x10
    Seated row 3x10
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Today was ring class or straight arm strength training
    1. 8 rounds of front lever holds 15s on the rings
    2. 8 rounds of assisted planche tuck hold for 15s (really happy as I am on the lightest resistance band - who knows next week i might try unassisted holds which will be amazing as at the start of the year i couldn't do them ewaven with the strongest resistance band
    3. 5 rounds of wall climbs for 60s
    4. 3 rounds of wrist extension for the 8kg barbell
    5. 3 rounds of german hangs

A good end to the exercise week
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Second workout yesterday was 40 minutes lifting in the gym. Burned around 400 calories. I was wondering how much I burn when I lift (I do very rapid supersetting with little rest, mostly lighter stuff with a few heavy benches thrown in and some bodyweight stuff like tricep dips). Worked the entire body in 40 minutes -- fairly decent workout. My shoulders have gotten really strong with all the home overhead one arm presses I've done this year. I actually think I need to work more chest and legs to catch up!

Oh, and I got much smarter about not doing full pullups. I add 30 or 40# assistance and do more of them instead of straining my shoulder. I just think I'm getting too old to do pullups, though it's an ego thing cranking them out without weighted assistance. I have to accept that I'll be 55 this month and just adjust the intensities accordingly.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    10/4
    am
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (17 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Meditate

pm
    Gig with the band tonight. I'll be hauling gear and playing from 9pm - 1am. Then hauling gear back to the studio...
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    33km | 69:20

zero energy until the last 8km. Was out of coffee and pre-workout. Couldn't get into anything to distract myself. Those are the worst sorts of rides. Regardless, ride finished.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Crunches
    Squats
    Bench press
    Barbell rows
    Crunches
    30 sec each foot balancing on the bosu, trying to heal an old running injury I've swept under the rug for years

15 min elliptical

I'm starting StrongLifts and I'm loving the high weight, low reps. Three exercises and I'm beat. I've always been afraid of benching without a spotter, but I tried it for the first time the other day and didn't crush myself! Lol I feel really proud of myself for that. Today I saw a new muscle in my arm while I was rubbing lotion into my hands, I got probably way too excited about that, because I don't have much in the way of visible muscles yet.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Today was my leg/lower core split (60 min), only did 17 minutes of cardio due to a time constraint.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Shortened row today for around 40 minutes -- 7K or so slow. Allegedly, I'm getting my Air Bike fixed today. We will see. Octane Fitness, who services this Schwinn can't get their act together. I'm on my 3rd set of parts because they keep sending me "irregular" parts or the wrong ones. I told my wife I'd rather have an Assault Bike, but she wanted that AirDyne. Schwinn isn't the company they used to be at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Rowed the double again, finally: 7.9k, some steady state, some 10 power/10 SS. Beautiful day, cool air (50s F), warm sun, light breeze (very manageable for us, a little challenging in spots for the single out with us). Break tomorrow, half-day masters* mini-camp Sunday. Hoping for good weather for that. Coaching by a multi-time Big 10 coach of the year, who is excellent, pithy, incisive

* In rowing, masters are post-collegiate people, not necessarily expert people. ;)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    letting my shoulder heal last few days but today I did push ups to exhaustion. 40, 20, 20, 10 for a total of 100. and getting ready to do some intense cardio on spin bike. (when I started my WLJ last April, I could barely do 2 pushups, so I am coming along nicely for an old man)
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    My AirBike is fixed. I'm stoked. Just an FYI, consider twice before buying Nautilus, Bowflex or Schwinn equipment. The guy that came to fix my bike deals with them a lot. He came from a guy's house that bought the new Bowflex Max and one step broke on the guy in the middle of his session and he about broke his neck. Like my AirDyne Pro, they use inferior metals that sometimes just snap, even when you're well under the weight restrictions.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    45 minutes today on the rower. Cardio/endurance felt great. It was a Steady State (slow, steady) day. Butt not so much. Got sore and, though I was supposed to go an hour, I decided to cut it short. I'm still, after five years of rowing, trying to figure out how to do lots of meters per week and not get chaffed. I think it was my shorts today. I might play around with trying a different cushion. Nothing bad today, just started to get irritated and I said it's not worth it.

FWIW, Bodyglide helps, for me. (I'm sure competitor products would be equally fine.) A seat pad helps a little, but you may already be doing that. I think it's more from changing contact angles than padding per se.

Thanks Ann, I think you're right. Part of my issue (and why I'd be so challenged in OTW) is that my left leg is ridiculously stronger than my right. My right knee is absolute garbage. So when I row, I tend to scoot to the right with the left side pushing harder than the right. I suppose until I get a knee replacement, I won't be unilateral.

I do use Chamois Butt-r. It's similar to Glide. Great stuff. I also have a seat that's good, but not great (the one from Hornet sports, which is about as good as a pad for your seat gets). I'm probably going to switch to this seat soon. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. https://endurerow.com/product/endurerow-rowing-machine-seat/

I do think if your lean back is too exaggerated, or even if you stay back too long, and don't quickly return the hands, it also adds back into the equation. My form has gotten better and my rear along with it, but I've been putting in a lot of meters with my bike broken. This was just to the point of starting to get uncomfortable. It does tend to happen when (gross alert) when I'm sweating so bad my shorts are wet from the sweat. (For the non-rowers, this isn't uncommon with rowing). Something about wet shorts and rowing seats -- not a great combo!

Aoyoke - hope you feel better. Having lived in the Pacific NW and the Midwest, it's a different type of rain. Downpours and lightning are way more common in the Midwest. The stuff that the Pacific NW gets is just constant misting drizzle. Nasty stuff either way. We have the lightning beat here in Tucson with both of you! Monsoon season lightning is something else. Quite the show! But I'd never be caught out in a boat in it, not that we have much water around here!

I'm feeling a bit better each day. I've taken the entire week off which has included a lot of sleeping in. That and I've been really good about taking decongestants so my cold doesn't look like it will turn into a sinus infection. I should be ok to go to rowing tomorrow morning and we'll see about Sunday. The Portland Marathon route goes between our clubhouse and boat yard so parking is going to be very difficult. My gross sweaty short issues got a lot better when I started erging in rowing trou. I sweat just as much, but the sweat is more or less contained in the trou - which is gross when you think about it but it'd either be there, on the seat, on the seat pad, or in my case, on the hand towel that I sometimes use as a seat pad.

I agree that downpours and lightning are way more common in the midwest and lightning is also more common in the NE (I don't really remember downpours being all that common). That said my typical "I'm done" when it's not related to rowing practice is essentially a downpour or it being too cold (or thunder/lightning). Also ice coming out of the sky in any fashion unless I am already stuck in it (I once took shelter under an overpass when it was sleeting and I was biking home from the grocery store). Thunder and lightening is a major safety issue and I can't imagine that anyone would row during a thunderstorm unless it occurred while they were already rowing, at which point they should be on their way to a dock/shore. Other things that keep my club off the water include dense low lying fog (a few weeks ago we had to come in early because of that), water that's too fast, and excess debris. Last late winter/early spring that was a major issue. Tree trunks coming down the river and rowing shells don't mix.

When I talk about rain, I'm talking about more than just drizzling rain or mist (it rarely mists here). Rain of the "if you don't have a rain jacket or an umbrella, you will get soaked in short order" type. When I'm riding my bike, being too cold can easily be mitigated and when I'm rowing that's fairly easy as well as long as I'm not at a regatta (where a rain jacket isn't really allowed). Getting not being too wet is easier to deal with on the bike than with rowing. Yes I can wear a rain jacket that has a short enough back that it won't get caught in the rollers (I have neon gore-tex cycling jacket for dark coldish mornings and rainy days), but my legs and to an extent my feet are the real issue. I should note more Sundays than not over the past 4 weeks I've rowed in pouring rain. Sunday I brought a second jacket, pants, a short sleeved shirt, a long sleeved shirt, and a sweater to change into after my race. Needless to say, all of those things except the long sleeved shirt and the pants to changed into (thank god for rain pants that somehow don't get caught in wheels) Our fall came fast and hard.

If you do any outdoor sport, including commuting by bike, in Portland you just have to realize that rain is part of living here. The only bike thing that gets canceled for rain that I can easily think of off the top of my head is track cycling, because our velodrom is outside and slippery track plus 45 degree banking...
    From what I hear soccer will get called early if the conditions are truly horrible. I had marching band through really awful rain as a middle and high schooler (made me glad I had two flutes because one got deemed my marching flute as it wasn't as nice). Basically as long as people are safely able to do whatever activity they're going to do, they'll typically do it in the rain here. Otherwise you just wouldn't be able to do that activity and it's not as if you'll melt.

Then again, there was also a regatta up in Seattle, Head of the Lake in 2017, where it took a few juniors getting hypothermia for them to cancel it...

I'm also more willing to bike through cold wet conditions than row. It's just less miserable in my experience. I also get a lot warmer when I'm biking than when I'm rowing. When I'm rowing and it's 50 degrees I get warm. When I'm cycling in 45 degree weather I get hot. When I was riding outside more often I would have to convince myself to wear warmer clothes.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The usual stretching every a.m., this afternoon hit the gym, elliptical, weights, PT exercises. Total almost 2 hours.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @ Aoyoke - Oh, I don't doubt that it sucks with all that rain. Portland is so beautiful, though, it's almost worth it! Not for me. I lived in Eugene for two years. Probably not quite as wet. Rain is why I moved out of Cincinnati. A few years ago, they had 74 inches of rain, shattering 100 year old records and making Portland look fairly dry in comparison. Cincy this year has nearly 28 inches when I left in March already. Seattle had 15 inches in that same time. Last I had heard, Cincy had 40 inches by June. If you throw out historic averages and just look at the last 10 years, Cincy is one of the wettest, nastiest weather cities in the US. Nothing like Houston, perhaps, but there's not many cities that get more rain. People do love the green and flowers, though. Give me drier weather at my age! It's getting into hiking season here!

In the Summers, you have the most beautiful parts of the US and the ocean too, IMHO.

Hope you feel better! Got to try to find a vet open today. My handicapped dog (Toby, he has a severely deformed front leg, had it since he was a puppy. We knew it but he was from a kill shelter and we worried he wouldn't make it out if we didn't take him), somehow injured his back leg. Got to find a vet that can look at it. He's only got two good legs currently, not a great situation.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Day before race day so I'm in active rest mode.

2. Mile easy run stretching my legs and continuing with my hill challenge. Wondering how I'm going to incorporate this hill in to mondays recovery run.

Only other things I've done is pootle around, stretch, foam roll and eat.