What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I got outside for a ride and went a bit longer than planned. 42 miles at a 17.1mph moving average. Felt good to stretch out a weekday ride.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    30 minutes swimming
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Had a nice hour steady state row this morning. Where yesterday I was disappointed somewhat, today seemed great. 2:25 pace @ 20 SPM throughout, HR never climbed above 75% max. Though my pace slightly drifted off from the start and HR slowly drifted up, neither too far off from the start. Plus, the stroke felt consistent throughout -- everything you look for in a good, productive Steady State row.

A top ranked friend of mine also suggested he looks at two metrics everytime he works out -- not only HR but also PE (perceived exertion). I've been trying to do this everytime I workout as well. Today felt really easy until around the last ten minutes, then it still wasn't hard, just a bit more challenging.

I also managed to get in a (albeit light) lift last night. Around 100 weighted squats and bridges, 100 pushups (half decline to challenge me more) and 100 one arm pressups, each arm.
  • Djproulx
    edited May 2020
    Had a nice hour steady state row this morning. Where yesterday I was disappointed somewhat, today seemed great. 2:25 pace @ 20 SPM throughout, HR never climbed above 75% max. Though my pace slightly drifted off from the start and HR slowly drifted up, neither too far off from the start. Plus, the stroke felt consistent throughout -- everything you look for in a good, productive Steady State row.

A top ranked friend of mine also suggested he looks at two metrics everytime he works out -- not only HR but also PE (perceived exertion). I've been trying to do this everytime I workout as well. Today felt really easy until around the last ten minutes, then it still wasn't hard, just a bit more challenging.

I also managed to get in a (albeit light) lift last night. Around 100 weighted squats and bridges, 100 pushups (half decline to challenge me more) and 100 one arm pressups, each arm.

Isn't it funny that some days just seem "easier" than others, even if the workload is similar??

The two metrics I watch while riding a bike are power(watts) and Intensity Factor (also via my device). IF measures variability and intensity required to maintain output. For example, to push 150 watts on a flat ride feels different than to average 150 watts on a very hilly ride where I'm pushing 300 watts while climbing and almost no watts riding steep downhill sections. The Perceived Exertion is much tougher to gauge on hilly rides.

For running, pace and HR are my focus, but I'm strongly considering a foot pod to measure running power output.

Finally, I have really noticed the benefits of rest during this month of reduced training volume. Training Peaks tracks my Fitness(cumulative training load), Fatigue(acute training load) and Form(race readiness). Simply put: "Fitness-Fatigue= Race Readiness". The month of May has felt like a long pre race Taper period. While I'm losing some fitness, I'm also shedding fatigue at a faster rate. So when I do ride or run, I still feel pretty good. This allows me to do higher intensity work to keep fitness losses in check.

• MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »

Isn't it funny that some days just seem "easier" than others, even if the workload is similar??

The two metrics I watch while riding a bike are power(watts) and Intensity Factor (also via my device). IF measures variability and intensity required to maintain output. For example, to push 150 watts on a flat ride feels different than to average 150 watts on a very hilly ride where I'm pushing 300 watts while climbing and almost no watts riding steep downhill sections. The Perceived Exertion is much tougher to gauge on hilly rides.

For running, pace and HR are my focus, but I'm strongly considering a foot pod to measure running power output.

Finally, I have really noticed the benefits of rest during this month of reduced training volume. Training Peaks tracks my Fitness(cumulative training load), Fatigue(acute training load) and Form(race readiness). Simply put: "Fitness-Fatigue= Race Readiness". The month of May has felt like a long pre race Taper period. While I'm losing some fitness, I'm also shedding fatigue at a faster rate. So when I do ride or run, I still feel pretty good. This allows me to do higher intensity work to keep fitness losses in check.

I didn't even know foot pods for power measuring were even a thing. Learn something new everyday! I can imagine hilly workouts feel so much different than flats.

I'm considering changing my focus next month to a more race prep month (though I don't have anything coming up), so the Steady state sessions are really going to have to be super easy. I'd like to push, just for like 6 weeks, really hard two days a week and moderately hard one day a week. I can only take that for six weeks before I usually start to break down. My ability to train intensely is very self limiting.

I enjoy your insights. Thanks.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    3.5 mile run and I shaved 37 seconds off my time getting up the big hill in the middle of my route
    d8qwndxqxp82.jpeg
  • Djproulx
    [
    I'm considering changing my focus next month to a more race prep month (though I don't have anything coming up), so the Steady state sessions are really going to have to be super easy. I'd like to push, just for like 6 weeks, really hard two days a week and moderately hard one day a week. I can only take that for six weeks before I usually start to break down. My ability to train intensely is very self limiting.

If you haven't read it, you might find Joe Friel's "Fast after 50" a worthwhile read. Addresses aging factors and mitigation strategies for endurance athletes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Bit of stretching over lunch. Ran 4km in the evening. Things were looking good for a 2020 5k best. Then I started to wreck myself from 3km onward. Oh well, a nice 4k time is also fine.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Wed 5/20

MORNING
    12.3 miles mountain bike on trails, vigorous with many inclines.

MORNING & AFTERNOON
    5 hours of yard work (every muscle in my body is aching!)

PS...That ice cream in my freezer is calling my name! haha
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Wed 5/20

MORNING
    12.3 miles mountain bike on trails, vigorous with many inclines.

MORNING & AFTERNOON
    5 hours of yard work (every muscle in my body is aching!)

PS...That ice cream in my freezer is calling my name! haha

I feel that on the ice cream front!!

DLs today. All different kinds! Ones with my suitcases, light dumbbells, resistance bands. And some abs and a walk.
  • Djproulx
    Joined two friends for an easy trail run, but called it early after 3.5 miles. Just not feelin' it after last night's bike ride.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    50 mile bike. First time biking in one week since I injured my glute. Felt good. Took it easy. ~15.something mph. Wind wasn’t too bad.

Total 5H45M sleep over the last two days —slept from 7:30pm until 12:30AM. Was exhausted.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Hour walk, 30 min weights, 30 min yoga, 1 hour resistance training (push work and grip)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    [

You're getting strong with all the KB work. Underrated workout! A 28kg KB (62 lbs) is over 1/3 your body weight, isn't it Matt? To do 200 of those is no joke! And the goblet squats as well. Nice workout. Congrats, too, on your hanging workout being better.

I was supposed to do weights last night but thought (after the half marathon) I'd move to tonight and switch my lifting days back around. I have a 24kg KB that I'm getting used to again, but couldn't get to 200 swings!

It is around 40% to 44% of my weight, depending on how high or low my water weight is, so slightly over a third.

Congratulations on the half marathon - it looks really hard!

I haven't updated here for a while. On Monday, I did an hour of yoga. I felt utterly fatigued, so skipped my evening lifting. It was a pretty sedentary day - I got 11,000 steps, which is the lowest level I've done all lockdown.

On Tuesday, I was still fatigued. Work was hard - I had 8 meetings, and bonkers amounts of emails, Teams messages etc. (The total was probably close to 400.) I met a client deadline at 8.30 p.m., having started work at 7 a.m. I had been sedentary to cope with the work level.

I then went for a very nice evening walk, getting my steps up to around 16,000.

Yesterday, after two good nights' sleep, I felt good. So I hangboarded. It was a good session. I didn't do weighted stuff, but my small edge and 3 finger hangs seem to work well. I can do pull-ups off the 21mm ledge, but not the 15mm ledge.

Today, I did an hour of yoga before breakfast. I finally worked out how to use the timer on my coffee filter, so I only needed to wake up 5 minutes beforehand.

This evening, I may do arms and chest barbell stuff. But the plywood for my home climbing may turn up, so I may be able to get a climb in. (It's more likely to be Friday or Saturday for the first climb).

v428d4woq0jo.jpg

• bugstar75
    bugstar75 Posts: 3 Member
    200 burpees and 30 minutes of jumping rope.
  • MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »
    [

If you haven't read it, you might find Joe Friel's "Fast after 50" a worthwhile read. Addresses aging factors and mitigation strategies for endurance athletes.

I have not read it but I've read about it (I'm lazy about reading whole books because I read so much at work).

I'd like to think that I follow most of the concepts -- good nutrition, strict polarization, don't overload on volume, keep your recovery protected, sleep, plenty of protein, etc. That's a lot the reason I'm trying to get so strict on the easy rowing days. I used to let them slide into more of a moderately easy workout, instead of easy (and I'm still a work in progress).

The plan I'm considering loosely following is the Pete Plan, a very well known race prep plan. It has 3 hard days in it out of six days a week. I'd likely modify it a bit to make it 2 hard days, one challenging day and three really easy cardio days. You're supposed to do 3 very hard workouts a week for 3 weeks and then repeat the cycle. Not sure that would be wise for me. We'll see. Right now biggest concern is strength and I don't have access to a lot of heavy weights and don't intend on going to the gym anytime soon.

Today was one hour row again at an easier clip. 2:27 pace/20 SPM. HR all under 75% max, tried to keep it around 70% or below but it drifted up a tad in the last 15 minutes.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    50 mile bike. First time biking in one week since I injured my glute. Felt good. Took it easy. ~15.something mph. Wind wasn’t too bad.

Total 5H45M sleep over the last two days —slept from 7:30pm until 12:30AM. Was exhausted.

6lmc2q6zznkd.gif
  • Djproulx
    edited May 2020

I have not read it but I've read about it (I'm lazy about reading whole books because I read so much at work).

I'd like to think that I follow most of the concepts -- good nutrition, strict polarization, don't overload on volume, keep your recovery protected, sleep, plenty of protein, etc. That's a lot the reason I'm trying to get so strict on the easy rowing days. I used to let them slide into more of a moderately easy workout, instead of easy (and I'm still a work in progress).

The plan I'm considering loosely following is the Pete Plan, a very well known race prep plan. It has 3 hard days in it out of six days a week. I'd likely modify it a bit to make it 2 hard days, one challenging day and three really easy cardio days. You're supposed to do 3 very hard workouts a week for 3 weeks and then repeat the cycle. Not sure that would be wise for me. We'll see. Right now biggest concern is strength and I don't have access to a lot of heavy weights and don't intend on going to the gym anytime soon.

Today was one hour row again at an easier clip. 2:27 pace/20 SPM. HR all under 75% max, tried to keep it around 70% or below but it drifted up a tad in the last 15 minutes.

It sounds like you've captured and implemented most of it. If I were to boil it down to three bullets, his message in the book is:
    1. You've got to continue to go hard if you want to race hard.
    2. The hard days should be HARD and the easy days should be EASY(lots of us have trouble with this part)
    3. As we age, recovery takes longer, so separation between hard days is critical and a periodized build should not have as steep a ramp as it would for a 20 year old athlete.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Thur 5/21

MORNING
    13 miles on mountain bike trails. vigorous (new personal best with time and speed average)
    33 chin ups, 110 push ups (both in sets to failure)
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    CX Work and will take a walk shortly. Thinking two 2-mile walks today.