On the 5:00 x 2 Rounds:
    21 Over-and-Back Dumbbell Hops
    6 Devil's Press
    9 Clean and Jerks
    12 Thrusters

Smash it!

I’d say it was a little bit of the other way around. Great tho. Only way for me to keep motivation is to change it up a lot - @nighthawk584 and workout with someone else.

Today: a bit sore from the last two days. Especially upper body. Walk / jog / yoga today unless I get more Inspired later and just have to do something challenging.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    (snip)
    World Indoor Rowing Association just announced this week the world indoor rowing championships will be held virtually this next year (in Feb 2021). So I literally have no excuse if healthy not to participate. I have a lot of work to do. Most of the top 55 to 60 (Hwt) guys in the world are in my Indoor Rowing Club, Sub7, so I know who I'd be up against. Don't expect to win or even place in the top 25, just would love to be in the top half of the field. That would require close to a 7:00 2K. I'm quite a ways off from that. Like light years right now, but I'm getting slowly faster. Since I've added back in lifting, I'm gaining ground quickly.

WIth a virtual race, it's possible participation will increase. I get that you're shooting for a pace (I would, too, just a slower one ;) ), but my uneducated guess would be that a bigger field would drop the average, and make for a more expansive range of paces in the top half, vs. past races. Could go the other way, though. ;)

Best wishes for fast improvement of the hip: Ouch!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)
    World Indoor Rowing Association just announced this week the world indoor rowing championships will be held virtually this next year (in Feb 2021). So I literally have no excuse if healthy not to participate. I have a lot of work to do. Most of the top 55 to 60 (Hwt) guys in the world are in my Indoor Rowing Club, Sub7, so I know who I'd be up against. Don't expect to win or even place in the top 25, just would love to be in the top half of the field. That would require close to a 7:00 2K. I'm quite a ways off from that. Like light years right now, but I'm getting slowly faster. Since I've added back in lifting, I'm gaining ground quickly.

WIth a virtual race, it's possible participation will increase. I get that you're shooting for a pace (I would, too, just a slower one ;) ), but my uneducated guess would be that a bigger field would drop the average, and make for a more expansive range of paces in the top half, vs. past races. Could go the other way, though. ;)

If they do it in the Winter, it will be the same participants as mostly always. There might be more in the field but the OTW rowers don't "gear up" in the Winter. I'll have to find the dates and announcement again. I did see the BRIC (British Indoor Rowing Championships) also went virtual. I might have mistaken them for the Worlds, we'll see.

Over 55, there's a limited pool of crazies that like to race that hard on 2Ks. The three top rowers in that group right now, at least in the indoor world, are all talented Cross Fitters. Some of these guys are incredible. One guy from Iowa, nearly went sub 6:00 at 50. He got a 6:01. There's not that many OTW rowers that love the 2K erg races at that age. I've been trying to convince one woman from our club (she just set two American records for HWT over 50 on the erg) to destroy the American 2K record for the 2K. She did a workout a month ago with 4 X 2K, all in the 7:30s, which is insane. The record is soft at 7:08 (for her) and she doesn't want to do it. I think she has sub 7 in her right now. Just doesn't like the 2K. And she's a very talented OTW rower (Masters champ).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Still on a workout break. I did a stretching routine over lunch today for nearly an hour. First hip flexors, then a bit more hips and hamstrings, then a front split routine. I'd not done the second workout for about two weeks and was surprised how far I've come. I can nearly do a proper pigeon pose with angled front leg and straight hips now and can fully rest my upper body on one stretched out leg when sitting (Other angled) with movement from the hips. With regards to front split: with left to the front I managed to get deep enough that my yogablock wouldn't fit underneath the gap anymore. So I guess I was briefly at 5-6cm. A tiny bit more on the other side. I should probably hold it a bit longer, but my brain keeps on telling me that that's a rather stupid thing to do, and I'm not quite strong enough to keep in control. And I discovered cossack squats, which are brilliant, but difficult if you have a short upper body :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)

If they do it in the Winter, it will be the same participants as mostly always. There might be more in the field but the OTW rowers don't "gear up" in the Winter. I'll have to find the dates and announcement again. I did see the BRIC (British Indoor Rowing Championships) also went virtual. I might have mistaken them for the Worlds, we'll see.

Over 55, there's a limited pool of crazies that like to race that hard on 2Ks. The three top rowers in that group right now, at least in the indoor world, are all talented Cross Fitters. Some of these guys are incredible. One guy from Iowa, nearly went sub 6:00 at 50. He got a 6:01. There's not that many OTW rowers that love the 2K erg races at that age. I've been trying to convince one woman from our club (she just set two American records for HWT over 50 on the erg) to destroy the American 2K record for the 2K. She did a workout a month ago with 4 X 2K, all in the 7:30s, which is insane. The record is soft at 7:08 (for her) and she doesn't want to do it. I think she has sub 7 in her right now. Just doesn't like the 2K. And she's a very talented OTW rower (Masters champ).

I have an OK handle on who likes to do hard 2Ks (but don't confuse hard with fast - both depend on fitness level and training, right? ;) ).

But I'm basing what I wrote on what's happened IME in the World Rowing Indoor Sprints. There are a set of people who'll put up times, but who won't do the travel. My times in WRIS were/would've been more (much more) competitive there on a percentile basis than at the in-person World Rowing Indoor Championships. It's because the bottom of the field (slower than me) is numerically larger than WRIC.

In fairly recent times, when I've ranked race-length pieces, I tend to fall around the 75%-ile level in the routine C2 rankings for my class, seriously sub-elite. (This has been a mix of live-race, virtual, and home-workout or team-workout test pieces, BTW). At WRIC, this past year, with those same times, I'd be somewhere around the 50%-ile at the same pace (the field varies a lot, by year - mostly varying at the bottom end). In last year's WRIS results, those same times would've been 85-90%-ile level. Maybe that's an artifact of my competition class, maybe it's 1k vs. 2k, I dunno, but it wouldn't suprise me if it were true in quite a few classes, and that anyone crazy enough to race 2k will race 1k, and mostly vice-versa. I do think some elites or high level folks skip WRIS as a lesser challenge, but there are some fast times in there, too, so they don't all skip it.

Mostly, I'm not talking about the behavior of elites. They'll show up, in-person or virtual, and probably numerically more of them if virtual (because logistics). What I'm saying is that more people (who may not race all that hard, in your performance terms) may show up at the bottom of the field, and affect grading, if you look at it on a percentile basis (i.e., grading on the curve :lol: ).
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You might be right Ann, but most OTW rowers I know would rather go to have a root canal than do the erg in a race. Just my experience. They'll race all day on the water, but on the machine? Not so much. Not their favorite thing to do and I can't blame them.

I did find the link (was starting to think I was losing it). It is going to be virtual.

http://www.worldrowing.com/news/2021-world-rowing-indoor-championships-goes-virtual?fbclid=IwAR15cuJr5V4ibdhJ-I69Q8xoPeIYydMVDCIxNnTHjAC-CxpRzrMNYjwmPZw

Based on last year's rankings, only 40 guys my age in the world (in my class --55 to 59 age group) were under 7 minutes. That's my goal is to get close to that again (and would put me at the 90th percentile for 50 to 59 -- I'm only racing the 55 and up guys). I was closing in on that when I got injured. So we'll see. Anything under 7:30 is a huge improvement for me after last year. I can at least see getting under 7:20 again. How far? Who knows. I have to have stretch goals.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Thur 5/14

MORNING
    Full body weight training
    32 min spin bike

AFTERNOON
    Did a quick 30 min mountain bike run, but very vigorous with many inclines. I'm whipped!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    40 minute strength workout. Really didn’t want to do it but finally talked myself into it right before cooking dinner. Better late than never.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Biked (road) 72 miles. Felt guilty for not running.

Going to prep bread soon and do a home strength abdominal workout.

Slacker!!! ;)

Nice work, Iron sister!

Haha thank you.

Rode so hard last week I injured my glute.
    ...then rode so hard that night I really injured it.

Second day no cardio :(

Two days of no cardio? What's an endurance junkie to do? Rest. (its a four letter word, I know)

ihu

😘

(Rest, bake and eat)

Haha. Guess I deserved that.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Had a different type of cardio workout today. I woke to a 2:30am alarm and joined my son for a day of "run and gun" wild turkey hunting. This kid is a hardcore turkey hunter who prefers to pursue the birds in hilly terrain vs farm fields because "field hunting is too easy". (He's a professional waterfowl hunting guide in fall and winter, so this is his vacation.)

In any case, we had beautiful weather and covered roughly 10-12 miles in hilly northwest Ct. He called in and scored on a gobbler at first light, then we spent the next 8 hours covering as much terrain as we could, stopping every ten minutes or so to try to locate gobblers and coax them into gun range by using a hen call. We had no more luck after the first bird. It was a great day and a great workout, as I was drenched in sweat when we were done. Next time, I'll wear my HRM and add a "turkey hunting" activity tracker to my Garmin. ;)

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    1 hour of yoga at God awful o'clock before breakfast

Then leg day in the evening. Again, I didn't really want to do this, so it took some will power.

Warm up Dynamic stretches; jump rope; band stuff
    Lifting Squat, 90 kgs, 5 sets of 5. This was a PR for my new weight (65 kgs). So I will reset next time.
    Deadlift, 100 kgs, 5 sets of 5. I reset this after my PB last week.
    Lunges, 3 sets of 16, 32 kgs.
    Pistols, bodyweight.

I didn't do my normal warm down, as it was close to 1.30 a.m. when I finished.

A carpenter is coming around later today to assess how hard it will be to build a small climbing wall in my garden. Apparently, the main delay is likely to be getting the plywood, which has taken as while recently.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Still on a workout break. I did a stretching routine over lunch today for nearly an hour. First hip flexors, then a bit more hips and hamstrings, then a front split routine. I'd not done the second workout for about two weeks and was surprised how far I've come. I can nearly do a proper pigeon pose with angled front leg and straight hips now and can fully rest my upper body on one stretched out leg when sitting (Other angled) with movement from the hips. With regards to front split: with left to the front I managed to get deep enough that my yogablock wouldn't fit underneath the gap anymore. So I guess I was briefly at 5-6cm. A tiny bit more on the other side. I should probably hold it a bit longer, but my brain keeps on telling me that that's a rather stupid thing to do, and I'm not quite strong enough to keep in control. And I discovered cossack squats, which are brilliant, but difficult if you have a short upper body :D
    You had inspired me. I tried yoga the other day outside but I feel like I just rolled around in the grass for 20 mins 😂😂😂
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Another day, another hour row. I'm at a point where I have to start being more careful. My perceived effort is less than my HR is telling me that I'm working. You have to consider both when you workout. I'm working out a bit too hard on my "easy" days -- sitting right around 80% max HR for most of the last 20 minutes -- too high to be honest. It feels easy, still, which is a good thing, but I have to keep the HR a bit lower for the hard days.

I'm going to attempt a half marathon at pace (whatever that is right now, I'm not sure -- will try to hold 82 to 85% max HR) on Sunday. I'm not a long distance indoor (machine) rower. I've only done one half marathon before three years ago (2:17 pace after I cramped up on the last 5K). Anything near 2:20 pace would be great. I've been actually rowing more volume now than ever before but my strength isn't great yet.

@Ann - I reread all your comments and appreciate it. I think I misunderstood you! I know what you mean. I just got too excited knowing there's a competition this year and I don't have to spend money to go there (they were talking Australia, which would be nice, but expensive!). I should just focus on training and see what happens. It might have qualification limits for the live race. My goal should just be qualify for the live race. No rules have been set yet, but I would imagine they'll have two heats limited to like the top 50 to 100 in the world based on verifiable times. Any more than that "live" would be tough. Also logistically, it's going to be really tough to do live racing with all the top people at the same time. Aussies, for instance, are the exact opposite time zone as EST, so how they will do that is a mystery. I assume two heats 12 hours apart or something similar.

I think for now I'll just work to be ready and hope to participate in the live final. So I could end up in the top 10% or dead last in that final (or not even qualify) depending on format.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ran another 5K this morning followed by a short yoga flow for some quick ab work, a stretch and cool down.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    0cxmhx7o6iwo.jpeg
  • alexmose
    Options
    Did an upper body workout and I am so glad I did. At first I really did not want to, as I felt so constipated. I think it was my casein protein last night....it was my first time trying it. I also just cycled on creatine again this morning so it could be either. But I feel a lot better after a workout! Walking today as well as it's almost 80 degrees here!!!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    20 min yoga, 30 min stairs, a long walk, 20 min full body dumbbells - argh summer-it’s getting too hot already.

@alexmose hi :) not sure if this’ll help but I always eat some high fiber food with any concentrated protein, and with any dairy....it seems to help that issue. Don’t know anything about creatine tho.
  • alexmose
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    20 min yoga, 30 min stairs, a long walk, 20 min full body dumbbells - argh summer-it’s getting too hot already.

@alexmose hi :) not sure if this’ll help but I always eat some high fiber food with any concentrated protein, and with any dairy....it seems to help that issue. Don’t know anything about creatine tho.

Thanks for this! It actually passed soon after working out and eating some fat. I’m partially lactose intolerant and forgot to take a dairy pill w my casein last night 🙄
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Nearly an hour of crazy dancing and jumping around to fantastic Ethiopian music and dance, like every Friday at 20:00 CET here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8uKHB7Sobk
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Fri 5/15

MORNING
    mountain bike trail , just under 11 miles with many inclines

AFTERNOON
    1 hour yard work
    33 chin ups, 100 push ups (both in sets to failure)