Calorie Counter

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• drmwcdrmwc Member, Premium Posts: 428 Member Member, Premium Posts: 428 Member
    I climbed today. I did just over an hour. I found a new technique for pinch holds, where one uses a half crimp grip for the top bit, and then thumb as normal underneath. I nailed a move I've been trying for weeks (hands are on a pinch and a crimp; you move the right hand from the crimp to another crimp.) The holds in the move are pretty poor, so getting it on an overhang felt like a nice result.

I warmed down with core gubbins and finger curls (60 kgs).
  • miriams76miriams76 Member Posts: 123 Member Member Posts: 123 Member
    Today is a rest day because I am doing a full fast (5:2 fasting on Wednesdays and Saturday - I'm in Australia) but yesterday I vlogged two Jillian workouts in the morning (this takes about an hour) and then I did 90 minutes at the gym in the evening targeting muscles on the back of my body (hamstrings, glutes, triceps, lower back, rear deltoids, traps etc)
  • TonyB0588TonyB0588 Member Posts: 8,806 Member Member Posts: 8,806 Member
    Treadmill - 30 minutes
  • Megan_smartiepants1970Megan_smartiepants1970 Member Posts: 11,680 Member Member Posts: 11,680 Member
    An Aerobic Dvd-55 minutes
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,546 Member Member Posts: 1,546 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    PHUL heavy squats and deadlift day. I have kept these in 3-5 rep ranges. In keeping along with PHUL, I have a more hypertrophy leg day too. Should I even bother with this low of a rep range if all I want are larger muscles (glutes, wya???!!)?

I'm not as much into lifting as some, but it seems the program you're on is a nice mix of low rep and high rep. From what I've read, that's ideal for both power and size (but women will struggle making muscles much larger until body fat is lower, or at least it's harder to see). Heavy KB swings, IMO, are fantastic for glute size. But you have to start lower until you're absolutely sure the form is spot on.

Easy hour today -- 30 on the rower and then 30 on the AD Pro. Really focused on, when rowing, trying to keep a more powerful stroke and rate lower (around 18). Working hard at the same time not to let the HR over 70% max. Over half hour rows become very hard to do that with a strong stroke, so I'm limiting the time on the rower. Also worked on the Assault Bike a lot with just the legs (it has pedals and handles to work both your upper and lower body). If you just use the pedals, it's a really great leg exercise.

I enjoyed the cross training when the wildfires kept me inside. I think I'm going to keep mixing it up and just work the rower until the HR crosses over the 70% threshold, keeping the SS (steady state) days easy. I was getting in bad habits on the rower before, letting the HR drift up to 75% and even a bit higher on the "easy" days.
  • JustSomeEmJustSomeEm Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,008 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,008 MFP Moderator
    10 mile bike ride between rain storms.

I'm challenging myself to ride every single day for the month of July, even if it's only 10 miles or less.
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 554 Member Member Posts: 554 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    PHUL heavy squats and deadlift day. I have kept these in 3-5 rep ranges. In keeping along with PHUL, I have a more hypertrophy leg day too. Should I even bother with this low of a rep range if all I want are larger muscles (glutes, wya???!!)?

I'm not as much into lifting as some, but it seems the program you're on is a nice mix of low rep and high rep. From what I've read, that's ideal for both power and size (but women will struggle making muscles much larger until body fat is lower, or at least it's harder to see). Heavy KB swings, IMO, are fantastic for glute size. But you have to start lower until you're absolutely sure the form is spot on.

Easy hour today -- 30 on the rower and then 30 on the AD Pro. Really focused on, when rowing, trying to keep a more powerful stroke and rate lower (around 18). Working hard at the same time not to let the HR over 70% max. Over half hour rows become very hard to do that with a strong stroke, so I'm limiting the time on the rower. Also worked on the Assault Bike a lot with just the legs (it has pedals and handles to work both your upper and lower body). If you just use the pedals, it's a really great leg exercise.

I enjoyed the cross training when the wildfires kept me inside. I think I'm going to keep mixing it up and just work the rower until the HR crosses over the 70% threshold, keeping the SS (steady state) days easy. I was getting in bad habits on the rower before, letting the HR drift up to 75% and even a bit higher on the "easy" days.

Thanks for this. Take it easy! Body needs rest ;)
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,546 Member Member Posts: 1,546 Member
    @alexmose -- thanks, I do rest on Saturday! I've been doing the six day a week cardio thing for nearly 7 years now. Sounds like a lot but when you know how to take it easy five days a week, it allows you to recover just fine. And I'm a lightweight when it comes to some of my workout circles, but I'm connected with some absolute beasts. The indoor rower community are some of the fittest people I've seen. Many also world class CrossFitters.

edited July 1
  • JimDewJimDew Member Posts: 907 Member Member Posts: 907 Member
    fqh5ni0dbhmm.png

Sun was blazing!!!
    Did some abs but feeling sleepy today 😴 still got 10K steps but I usually get like 17-18
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Member Posts: 1,069 Member Member Posts: 1,069 Member
    3 mile run, 100 arm (each) curls with 2.5 pound dumbbells, 3 one-minute forearm planks! Happy July, y'all!
  • hawkeye45_hawkeye45_ Member Posts: 521 Member Member Posts: 521 Member
    A couple of short walks in my breaks, and a lunch break of bench presses. My personal best was set today, 135 for 5.
  • 230137isntmyweight230137isntmyweight Member, Premium Posts: 245 Member Member, Premium Posts: 245 Member
    I gave blood today so I confined myself to an hour of walking around hunting Pokemon' with my kids.
    Wife and I went out last night to dinner (patio dining in the AZ heat!), then a parking lot concert, so I didn't have it in me to do the 5 AM workout. Worked out at lunch, my old workout time. Felt good to workout at noon again, but not so great to try to row at 88 degrees. Only managed 20 minutes on the rower. Then did 20 on the LateralX (an elliptical that also goes laterally as well, like you're speed skating) and then 20 on the AD Pro (Assault style bike).

All relatively easy -- the rower from 65% to 74% HR Max, everything else under 70% HR max. Roughly 730 calories for an hour.
    edited July 2
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Member Posts: 1,069 Member Member Posts: 1,069 Member
    * 3 mile run
    * 5 one-minute forearm planks
    * 10 minute toned arms workout video
  • JustSomeEmJustSomeEm Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,008 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,008 MFP Moderator
    30 mile bike ride.
  • VladaarVladaar Member Posts: 146 Member Member Posts: 146 Member
    Anyone else doing gymnastic bodies.com? I really enjoy the work out progressions so far. Working out where you have fun is the way to go.

• MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 1,621 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,621 Member
    * 10k steps
    * 15-min stair climb
    * 20-min bike ride (interuppted by rain. Bah humbug)
    PHUL Upper hypertrophy day
    Couple of walks ....16K steps
    Quick 10 min upper body body weight workout on Adaptiv.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 15,511 Member Member, Premium Posts: 15,511 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    * 3 mile run
    * 5 one-minute forearm planks
    * 10 minute toned arms workout video

Somehow, I read that on first glance as "five minute one-arm planks" and was kinda intimidated. ;)