What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I did a leisurely lake swim last night. I'm hanging on to the outdoor, no-wetsuit swims as long as possible. I didn't wear my Garmin, but swam for about 40 minutes, stopping occasionally and floating with the pull buoy as needed.

I'm also taking a step back on the running progression, since the two PT's I'm working with think my recent high cycling mileage is probably causing minor compensation and that shows up as pain/discomfort when I run.

Instead, they have given me two daily movement routines to be alternated daily while I'm continuing to ride a lot. The goal is to stabilize and strengthen the supporting muscle groups. The exercises are no fun, since they hit all my weak points, but I don't "need" to run at the moment so it is a good time to address the issues. I also want to continue cycling as much as possible during the nice weather in Sept and Oct.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    C25K: Week 7 Day 2… CHECK!

Wasn’t sure I was even going to try today. Had a few adult beverages last night (1st time in months), woke up late, not feeling great. Decided after about 2 hours I’d feel worse if I DIDN’T try and go, so went for it. It was way warmer than usual (since I started later) so made it harder but still managed to get it done.

Tomorrow I’m gonna be driving all day so no workout.

Bring on W7D3!
    15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My second week back to weight lifting (I stopped in 2020 I think). Got a 45 kg deadlift, which is nice, but more importantly I started the session at 35 kg today, which is the lightest deadlift possible at the gym with all metal plates, without going over to the spare equipment area to borrow plastic spacers. I feel very good about that.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical 211 minutes for 14.22 miles.
    Looking for a new Elliptical as mine is on its last leg. Screeches fairly often now and fitness repair guy said the part would be $400 to fix and that's at least half what I paid for it in 2010. He said keep using it till you can't. He said they occasionally get called by people wanting to sell their high end ellipticals and will keep me in mine when they do.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @nossmf -- gotta do you, even if you fail! Nothing wrong with that. In reality, I'm a pretty mediocre indoor rower -- at best! But I love it and have a passion for it.

@TicTacToo -- nice work! Don't get too caught in times. I did that early on too. Just work on form and staying safe. Times/paces will come if you do the first part and just be consistent.

It's the first, so I just looked at my indoor rowing club's monthly "challenges". We have to do an 8 X 2 minute row with 2 minute recoveries (not a bad one for me -- I do a similar row weekly). The other, though, is an hour row. Yuch!!

So, I like to see if I can get the worst row done early in the month and set out to try an hour row today. It was clear after 20 minutes it wasn't happening, so just did a half hour -- around 6900 meters (2:12.5 pace). I think the cardio part I was good -- it was my finger and my hand. I'll lower the Drag Factor next time and wear gloves. I don't like to wear gloves but I was getting a nasty blister only half way through and didn't want it to pop in the middle of the row. Easier to heal from if they aren't opened up yet. Likely go again next Thursday.

If the HRM is halfway accurate, 445 calories burned in 33 minutes. Averaged around 78% max HR for the duration, peaking at around 88% max. This is the type of row you have to be close to 90% max for the last 20 minutes or so, so I'm trying to psych myself up for that.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @MikePfirrman I've heard you talk about working out on a LateralX. I googled it and see, if I'm interpreting correctly, it is a type of elliptical? Do you have your own? If so, what brand do you have? Unless that is a brand. How is it different from a regular elliptical? If you read my post above, I'm in the market for a new elliptical. Seems the LateralX is supposed to be better working your inner and outer thighs and such? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman I've heard you talk about working out on a LateralX. I googled it and see, if I'm interpreting correctly, it is a type of elliptical? Do you have your own? If so, what brand do you have? Unless that is a brand. How is it different from a regular elliptical? If you read my post above, I'm in the market for a new elliptical. Seems the LateralX is supposed to be better working your inner and outer thighs and such? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

I enjoy mine and, yes, I own one. I'm not sure that I'd buy it again. It's like a Stepper/Elliptical and Lateral Trainer in one. You can set the pedals wider or narrower (for less lateral movement, closer to a standard elliptical). It's also harder than an Elliptical. To be honest, I don't even do ellipticals in gyms. Even at the highest settings, I don't find them challenging enough or I have to move so fast that I look silly on one to get a higher HR. These can be much more challenging.

The only reason I said I don't know if I'd get one again is they are very expensive (around 3K) and, if they break (and they will -- mine had to get fixed within around a year), it's hard to find someone to service them and Octane Fitness (who owns them) is terrible with customer service.

Now, with that said, the new models look completely different than mine. I believe they had so many problems with my model that they stopped completely selling them for a while. I just looked on their website and they are selling them again (but with no price, which makes me wonder how much they want for them now). The newer models look much more rugged and sturdy than mine.

As far as the workout, I love it. First time I tried to do it, even in pretty good shape, I could only do 10 minutes at the highest settings (that's all I ever use on it). Now, I can do 30 minutes on it no problem. Like a regular elliptical, your feet can go a bit numb on you when you use it. Like most exercise machines, it WAY overestimates calories burned. It is a very good alternative to a stepper, but if I were to choose again, I'd get a stepper elliptical like the MaxTrainer and just use more bands to work lateral movements.
  • swimmom_1
    Options

I enjoy mine and, yes, I own one. I'm not sure that I'd buy it again. It's like a Stepper/Elliptical and Lateral Trainer in one. You can set the pedals wider or narrower (for less lateral movement, closer to a standard elliptical). It's also harder than an Elliptical. To be honest, I don't even do ellipticals in gyms. Even at the highest settings, I don't find them challenging enough or I have to move so fast that I look silly on one to get a higher HR. These can be much more challenging.

The only reason I said I don't know if I'd get one again is they are very expensive (around 3K) and, if they break (and they will -- mine had to get fixed within around a year), it's hard to find someone to service them and Octane Fitness (who owns them) is terrible with customer service.

Now, with that said, the new models look completely different than mine. I believe they had so many problems with my model that they stopped completely selling them for a while. I just looked on their website and they are selling them again (but with no price, which makes me wonder how much they want for them now). The newer models look much more rugged and sturdy than mine.

As far as the workout, I love it. First time I tried to do it, even in pretty good shape, I could only do 10 minutes at the highest settings (that's all I ever use on it). Now, I can do 30 minutes on it no problem. Like a regular elliptical, your feet can go a bit numb on you when you use it. Like most exercise machines, it WAY overestimates calories burned. It is a very good alternative to a stepper, but if I were to choose again, I'd get a stepper elliptical like the MaxTrainer and just use more bands to work lateral movements.

@MikePfirrman Thank you for the information. The new good ellipticals are running about 6K now too. Hoping the repair guy that came out to look at mine gets a call about buying a good used one that someone doesn't want anymore.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @swimmom_1 I've seen my model on EBay for like $950 (as cheap as $350 for one I just saw in TX). Most of the time, it's one part that goes bad on the part where the foot pedals torque to the side. They used a cheap bearing inside. It's like a $10 part if a repairman knows what they are doing and around only an hour or so of labor.

They are VERY heavy, though, so shipping is impractical. Would have to have two strong men and a pickup truck and likely take it apart and put back together (at least a few pieces of it). It would be also hard to get through doors fully assembled. Most door widths are 36 or so inches. I think it's 46 inches wide, so you'd likely have to have a technician take it apart on site, deliver it and reset it up, which might run you a bit of money.

I also know you love your elliptical, but have you ever considered an Assault Bike? Like an Echo Rogue or similar? They are built like a tank, only work as hard as you do (easy or very hard, depending on how hard you go), work the entire body, are not motorized (less than $1000 in cost), have an amazing warrantee and high resale value. I own an AD Pro. Wouldn't buy again because I don't like Nautilus's customer service, but I love the product. Between the LateralX and AD Pro, I like the AD Pro more. I'd go with the Rogue Echo because Rogue is world famous for great customer service and standing behind their products. I wanted the Rogue Echo but it was my wife's decision. She got jealous of my rower and wanted something for her. She still rides it and she's 61.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Thank you for the information. Gives me more to consider.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

No workout yesterday: It was choppy on the river, but we had 5 rowers, and I didn't want to send anyone out in a single. I'd had worse than usual sleep, felt crud-ola, so volunteered to cox a quad. (The coxwain mostly just steers, and makes a few other calls. It's like being a bow rower without the rowing, but with a handy steering mechanism and a good sightline. So much simpler than bow! Don't misunderstand: Good coxes are worth their weight in gold, especially in racing or tech practices; but even marginal ones like me are nice in recreational rowing.)

I didn't hit anything, which is baseline adequacy. 🤣

Today, it was a bike day, the usual deal, 23.29 miles at 10.8mph moving speed. Back up to the upper half of 80s F (30+ C), not too humid, slight breeze, quite sunny. The wooded parts of the trail were nicest, not gonna lie.

Supervised open rowing, but didn't row, just carried some boats and oars.
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I did a leisurely lake swim last night. I'm hanging on to the outdoor, no-wetsuit swims as long as possible. I didn't wear my Garmin, but swam for about 40 minutes, stopping occasionally and floating with the pull buoy as needed.

I'm also taking a step back on the running progression, since the two PT's I'm working with think my recent high cycling mileage is probably causing minor compensation and that shows up as pain/discomfort when I run.

Instead, they have given me two daily movement routines to be alternated daily while I'm continuing to ride a lot. The goal is to stabilize and strengthen the supporting muscle groups. The exercises are no fun, since they hit all my weak points, but I don't "need" to run at the moment so it is a good time to address the issues. I also want to continue cycling as much as possible during the nice weather in Sept and Oct.

I admire how you go about this, @Djproulx - working to keep fitness up to the extent possible after injury/setbacks, make progress in wily ways to the extent possible, seek and use the advice of your medical/bodywork team to guide the process, do hard or annoying things when it's right/needed, etc.

It's a great model.
    (snip)
    nossmf -- gotta do you, even if you fail! Nothing wrong with that. In reality, I'm a pretty mediocre indoor rower -- at best! But I love it and have a passion for it.
    (snip)

Pfft. 🙄

Guys, don't believe everything Mike says.
    @TicTacToo -- nice work! Don't get too caught in times. I did that early on too. Just work on form and staying safe. Times/paces will come if you do the first part and just be consistent.
    (snip)

Good advice - very good.

• MikePfirrman
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - thanks for the kind words, but I'm (currently) only a moderate paced rower and, by far, the slowest heavyweight in my rowing club. Yes, it's likely true that not many men (or women, like you) workout as hard as I do at soon to be 58, but as you know, the rowing community is exceptionally fit, whether it's indoor or outdoor. You and @Djproulx are two I look up to and want to be when I grow up! :D

Lifted last night. Did a nice job not pushing too hard or getting hurt. It did confirm why I'm not a huge fan of Planet Fitness. The one in my area is just packed at night. You can't get on one of the free weight benches with barbells, so you're relegated to machines. One of the few heavy options, the Leg Press, is always filled with people that just sit on the machine. I'm not one of "those" types that tells someone to get off a machine, but I was seriously tempted last night. One guy sat on the machine 40 minutes! I'm not kidding. Probably did four sets in that time. I was ready to get on the other one until the dude coming off of it didn't wipe it and proceeded to phlegm up a big ol' lugie into his paper towel he was carrying right over the machine. I was so turned off. I honestly need to just break down and get some heavier weights at home. I'm getting sick of going there.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Had to do a double-take, as I'm Mike also, and for a second wondered if you were talking about me, lol.

Today I have only a single meeting at work and was allowed to come in late. I could choose to sleep in, or do a double-workout at the gym. By doing the latter, I can skip going to the gym at all tomorrow, and combined with Monday's holiday, I'll get 72 hours of not leaving my bed except to light the grill and burn some burgers. Sounded good to me, so that's the option I went with.

Cardio: Elliptical - 5km of hills
    Strength: Full Body
    Deadlifts, hack squats, DB press, DB row, DB front/side/rear shoulder raises, DB curls, Lying DB extensions
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was just a short run, 4.6km in 30min11, right before dinner.

Today:
    Dumbbell bench press x3
    Assisted pull-ups x3
    Dumbbell shoulder press x3
    Barbell rack pulls x2
    Weighted hyperextension x1
    Dip bar leg raises x2
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Had to do a double-take, as I'm Mike also, and for a second wondered if you were talking about me, lol.
    (snip)

Apologies, @nossmf (Mike), I didn't realize you were also a Mike! As I think you figured out, I meant the Mike who said modest things about his more than respectable rowing machine performance!

I have to say, you're getting it done nicely on the workout front, too, including those times when your commitment carries you through times of lower-ebb motivation challenge. Good stuff!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Easy hour of cardio today. 30 on the LateralX and 30 on the AD Pro (Assault style bike). Legs were tired after last night, so it was all I could do just to do an hour around 65% of max HR. Seemed harder than it should have been.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Seven of us out to row today, but nice flat water, so 3 singles and a quad. I rowed 2 seat in the quad.

It was an unusually pleasant morning. Our (43-y/o) bow rower decided it was a good day to do 10 strokes hard, 15 strokes moderate interval pieces for much of the row, other than a bit of warm up and cool down. The rest of the boat (66, 62, and 75 y/o) were all about it, so there we went. We hit the fastest (instantaneous) split I've seen so far this season on power pieces. Consequently, I was still struggling with sweat dripping into my eyes, despite the pleasanter weather!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @Ann, you are always very generous in your comments, thank you. I'm super lucky in that my wife works for an orthopedic group and they have strong relationships with several top notch PT firms. The result is that I get terrific advice and care from the medical folks. And at my age, "it takes a village" lol.

@Mike, thanks, but I think you'd need to look down (not up) to find my level these days. Your disciplined fitness routine and self analysis are things that I try to emulate. Some days better than others.

Today was a vacation day bike ride. Visited friends who are camping at the shoreline and we took a 35 mile bike ride, followed by lunch and a quick dip in the ocean. Bike ride was just enough to call it a workout. 16.5mph average over a route that included a nice stretch of rolling terrain.

Im now trying to decide whether or not to join the Torture Sisters for a long training ride tomorrow. The climbing (4k in 55 miles) and their pace will be very difficult for me.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Only 45 minutes/3.41 miles on my Elliptical. It kept seizing up on me. Hadn't happened before till 2-3 hours in. Guess it's about dead! Checked out another store today with ellipticals. Looked at Octane and Spirit brands today. Previously looked at PreCor and Matrix. Any insight from any of you would be appreciated. The repair guy that had come out 10 days ago said they see many repair needs on Matrix and very early on, that they shouldn't. And long waits for parts on them. The repair guys seem to like Precor and Spirit. Said they both have good warranties and parts are available and not expensive.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Only 45 minutes/3.41 miles on my Elliptical. It kept seizing up on me. Hadn't happened before till 2-3 hours in. Guess it's about dead! Checked out another store today with ellipticals. Looked at Octane and Spirit brands today. Previously looked at PreCor and Matrix. Any insight from any of you would be appreciated. The repair guy that had come out 10 days ago said they see many repair needs on Matrix and very early on, that they shouldn't. And long waits for parts on them. The repair guys seem to like Precor and Spirit. Said they both have good warranties and parts are available and not expensive.

Sole is always good from what I've heard. Sole always has had great equipment at a value price. Did he offer feedback on Sole?