What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Today's workout: 15 min walk with my dog; 15 min. bike ride (hot).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Upper Body

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    DB Upright Row 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • nossmf
    Options
    Any idea why triceps press I can do alot more?

Some people are simply stronger in one body part than another, whether through being used more or simple body biomechanics.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I went climbing on Monday. It was a high gravity day.

I went back to the same gym on Wednesday. It was fun, I got everything I fell off on Monday. Fot some reason, it was super friendly.

I went clubbing on Thursday. It was good, I wasnt in stellar form but it wasn't too shabby.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I went climbing on Monday. It was a high gravity day.

:D:D:D

Even though that's not my sport, I empathize. Some days water is mysteriously a lot more viscous than others, too. ;)

P.S. Morning rowing got rained out on Wednesday. I helped with teaching learn-to-row class both Wednesday and tonight (Thursday), but not much workout in the mix, just mild movement - like maybe stress positions holding the stern of recreational shells while instructing our students in basic bladework at the dock.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Body

Squats 4x10
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Morning and evening walks with the dog, about 10 minutes each.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Mid row 3x12 (125lbs)
    Row 3x12 (60lbs) single arm
    Front pulldown 3x12 (90lbs)
    High row 3x12 (80lbs)
    Lat pulldown 3x12 (85lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (25lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Seven mile wildflower hike with about 1500 feet of elevation gain.

A marine layer and smoke from prescribed burns prevented me from seeing the coast. The view to the east was very clear, and I could see ALL the volcanoes - all the way up to the tip of Mt. Rainier, and that's 200 miles away. Views of Mt. Jefferson and the Three Sisters were very clear against an azure sky.

p78f03gejr9r.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Turns out we're going to have some coaching in our club this summer, from the collegiate club team's coach whose boathouse is next door to ours. He's a good coach, nice guy. Funding is from an "anonymous donor fund" from within our club, to pay him so that the coaching is free to members who participate.

Today was our first session. It focused on technical drills and corrections, which is just what we need. We did various one- and two-part pause drills, "cut the cake", and some stretches of just plain rowing in between drills to integrate the drills' emphasis and individual corrections he gave us. (He drives a "wakeless" (not totally wakeless ;) ) launch alongside the group, uses a bullhorn to call us by name with corrections. We had 3 singles and a double. Two racing (skinny) singles were a couple of the collegiate rowers, the other 2 boats from our community club.

I was rowing a recreational (wider) single, since this was my first time out in a single this season and I wanted to focus more on technique without balance challenges. I figured I'd be the slow boat (oldest participant by 25+ years, wide single), but was relieved that although mostly at the slow end of the bunch, I did keep up with the group.

At the last, we wrapped up with 10 strokes hard, 10 strokes easy, then 20/20, 30/30, 20/20, and 10/10 again (and repeat back to the dock). This was the first time this season I've really tried to push power, and in the wide rec single there was a bit of a strength component to this. ;) It went OK.

Things to work on: A bit more layback on the finish with elbows coming back past my body well, keeping my knees together and sitting taller at the catch, backing the oar in a teensy bit more especially on the left side so I don't miss water at the catch. (The knee thing is a holdover from when I was overweight; I used to have to make room for my belly. :grimace: It's improved, but there's still a vestige.)

Good stuff!
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Turns out we're going to have some coaching in our club this summer, from the collegiate club team's coach whose boathouse is next door to ours. He's a good coach, nice guy. Funding is from an "anonymous donor fund" from within our club, to pay him so that the coaching is free to members who participate.
    Good stuff!

'Fess up, Ann: are you the anonymous donor? ;)

My workout today was water-based as well: 30 minutes in the local pool with my autistic 16 year old. I swam laps near him and alternated that with treading water. Also the requisite 10 min. walk with my dog. She's really losing her 'get up and go' now that the summer weather is here.
  • AnnPT77
    edited June 8
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Good stuff!

'Fess up, Ann: are you the anonymous donor? ;)

My workout today was water-based as well: 30 minutes in the local pool with my autistic 16 year old. I swam laps near him and alternated that with treading water. Also the requisite 10 min. walk with my dog. She's really losing her 'get up and go' now that the summer weather is here.

Not exclusively, and I think not a significant percent of the fund. I did donate some. Now you know something that no one (other than the fund coordinator) knows, because no one else ever asked me flat out. ;)

I wish I liked swimming. :( I tried to. 30 minutes of swimming/treading is a great thing. When I do talk myself into a pool swim, I spend a few minutes treading water, because that's a useful skill in case of inadvertent rowing shell flips - part of the process for getting back in the boat, in deeper water.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Not exclusively, and I think not a significant percent of the fund. I did donate some. Now you know something that no one (other than the fund coordinator) knows, because no one else ever asked me flat out. ;)

I wish I liked swimming. :( I tried to. [/quote]

Good work on the donation: your secret is safe with me, especially since I don't know anyone you row with!

Ah, swimming. Sometimes I think I love it even more than my labrador retriever does. Got a little burned out after last year's triathlon season (to be clear, I did ONE race, so not really a whole season), and then after my surgery I wasn't allowed to swim for several months. Now, I'm celebrating a return to the water!
  • nossmf
    Options
    I can doggy paddle long enough to get from boat to shore, provided I'm on a lake or river. lol Nah, I'm fully versed in swimming (except the butterfly), just prefer not to as I hate sticking my face in the water and not being able to breathe the exact moment I want to.

We got a notice from the city that "someone" had complained about the state of our yard, how the weeds were too high, grass uncut, tree branches making it hard to walk past, and junk in my back yard (out of sight from the street). Note said fix everything in ten days or face a $1,000 fine and court appearance. I admit, the things cited needed fixing, but not in this manner! Sheesh. So the last two days have been busting my butt trying to fix what was cited, all while wondering which neighbor had the issue and chose to go the legal route rather than just talk to me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    We got a notice from the city that "someone" had complained about the state of our yard, how the weeds were too high, grass uncut, tree branches making it hard to walk past, and junk in my back yard (out of sight from the street). Note said fix everything in ten days or face a $1,000 fine and court appearance. I admit, the things cited needed fixing, but not in this manner! Sheesh. So the last two days have been busting my butt trying to fix what was cited, all while wondering which neighbor had the issue and chose to go the legal route rather than just talk to me.

My city has an ordinance that grass has to be no more than 10" after some date in June. It's a fire hazard thing. It can only apply to the front yard though; we can do what we want in the back yard. We do have to maintain an eight foot clearance over sidewalks and 12 feet over the street, and we have to keep brush trimmed so that they don't obscure sight lines. Funny thing is that the City doesn't always obey this ordinance on property they own and manage. They'd have a hard time trying to enforce on people if they don't enforce it on themselves.

I can't imagine your city has any right to dictate what you do in your BACK YARD if it's out of sight of public space without some kind of visual aid. Flying a drone is a visual aid. Binoculars are visual aids.

Ten days as a first notice is pretty damn rude if you ask me.

I don't have a HOA.
  • DiscusTank5
    edited June 8
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Nah, I'm fully versed in swimming (except the butterfly),

We got a notice from the city that "someone" had complained about the state of our yard, all while wondering which neighbor had the issue and chose to go the legal route rather than just talk to me.

Sorry to hear about that added stress, @nossmf . And @mtaratoot, we don't have an HOA either. Generally our small town is pretty lenient (I'm in a neighborhood where it isn't unusual for people to park extra vehicles in their yards, to give you an idea).
    However . . . the neighbor to our immediate right has been retired the full 21 years we've lived in this house and keeps his one-acre yard meticulously tidy. Once we put out stuff for the fall clean-up a week too early and he complained to the city. My husband pulled our tiny junk pile back from the road but . . . parked it where our neighbor could still see it. ;)
    Hopefully your neighbor will get over him/herself and give you some grace in future. A $1K fine sounds crazy.

As for swimming, I try the butterfly from time to time but it's a higher energy expenditure than I can sustain.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Leg press 3x12 (135lbs)
    Calf raise 3x12 (115lbs)
    Leg curl 3x12 (100lbs)
    Leg extension 3x12 (65lbs)
    Leg adduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Leg abduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)
  • freddyjay1972
    freddyjay1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Today is shoulder day:
    Superset: 4 sets: 8-10 dumbbell shoulder press; rear deltoid flies
    Superset: 4 sets: 8-10 cable lateral raise; cable front raise
    Superset: 3 sets: 8-10 dumbbell lat raise; single arm landmine press
    Superset: 3 sets: 8-10 machine rear flies; weighted wall ball

I'm really focusing on building shoulder mass so I've broken it out into it's own day.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I went caving on Saturday. We did Otter Hole, a tidal cave which is probably the prettiest cave in the UK.

There are two possible trips, between tides and through tides. We thought we had signed up for the longer through tide trip, but it actually turned out to be between tides, around 6 hours. The first 2 hours (and last 2 hours) were very hard caving: Very narrow, very muddy and quite a few hard climbs with shoulder deep water at the sump.

We pulled ourselves through the "eye" at this point; using some rope to dra ourselves through a small hole with the water both sides.

UK caves have a difficulty grading system I don't understand at all. I think the highest grade is 5d. This cave is 5d.

Then it was stunningly pretty. Amazing cave, I want to do the longest trip.

Sunday was a short walk in the forest.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I went caving on Saturday. We did Otter Hole, a tidal cave which is probably the prettiest cave in the UK.
    Then it was stunningly pretty. Amazing cave, I want to do the longest trip.

@drmwc -- you mention twice how pretty Otter Hole is. I'd love to see some pics, if you were able to take any.

Years ago when we first moved to this area, hubs and I toured a so-called wild cave, War Eagle, here in NW Arkansas. The one hour long "tour" involved crawling on our hands and knees for at least 15-20 min. through ice-cold water. I couldn't feel my hands by the end and my clothes were completely muddy. That's about the only time I've done anything remotely like what you are describing. Then again . . . there's another cave in this area, Lost Valley, that requires crawling on hands and knees with a VERY low ceiling, but the payoff is getting to a large underground room with a waterfall. We did that a few times before having kids.