What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Rowed again. It was windy, felt cold (even though it was around 60 F/ 15 C), light mist when we were launching. (I actually said "I do this for fun" out loud as a sort of self-affirmation. :D ).

As usual, it was plenty warm once we got rowing, and thankfully the misty rain stopped. In the quad, I got to be in engine room (middle pair of the boat, neither steering nor setting cadence), which is a rare treat: Lets me focus on my own rowing technique.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    ** Memorial Day post: My Dad is a Viet Nam vet, so I'm thinking of him today and the two buddies he lost in that conflict. For those of you who have served / are serving currently, thank you. Probably more than the rest of us, you've mourned friends lost during your time in the military. **

Today's workout: 10 min. walk with the dog, then 60 min. at the local aquatic center with my son. I count it as "water aerobics" since I'm always moving when in the pool.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Front pulldown 3x12 (80lbs)
    Mid row 3x10 (125lbs)
    High row 3x12 (70lbs)
    Row 3x12 (120lbs)
    Lat pulldown 3x10 (85lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (15lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Helix trainer, 4 min.
    Elliptical, 12 min.
    Free weights and conditioning, 20 min.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Two days of paddling.

Yesterday a canoe for 19 miles along a river.

Today for only two miles leading a group of seniors who were trying out kayaking, many for the first time. More of a workout loading 14 boats on and off and off and on the trailer than the actual paddle.

.Everyone had a good time both days. We saw 17 Bald Eagles the first day
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Leg press 3x12 (135lbs)
    Calf raise 3x12 (115lbs)
    Leg curl 3x12 (100lbs)
    Leg extension 3x12 (65lbs)
    Leg adduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Leg abduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)

I expect I will get my 10k+ steps today too
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Helix trainer, 4 min.
    Elliptical, 12 min.

Also a 25 min. walk around the neighborhood in the evening. Sore feet today. Wah.
  • freddyjay1972
    freddyjay1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 day split.....1 shoulders, 2 back/biceps/traps, 3 chest triceps, 4 legs....today is chest & triceps.
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 29
    Options
    Moooorrre rowing, 3 seat (engine room) in the quad, usual distance, nearly perfect morning for rowing, with flat water and temps in mid/high 50s F (around 14 C).
    Helix trainer, 4 min.
    Elliptical, 12 min.

Also a 25 min. walk around the neighborhood in the evening. Sore feet today. Wah.
    I'm sorry.

Dunno what chemo you had, so maybe this is irrelevant, but mine had peripheral neuropathy as a side effect. I had a less severe case than some of my friends, so it only persisted post-treatment for a while (long while), and tended to be painful if I either walked much more than usual, or if I was feeling generally fatigued (poor sleep or whatever) and walked a more moderate but unusual amount. I haven't had a bothersome bout of it in years, but chemo for me was 23+ years ago now.

ETA: For me, rubbing in Burt's Bees peppermint foot cream helped. One of my friends who has worse PN swears by ice.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Quad focused leg day

Belt squat
    10 x 2 @ 210
    10 x 2 @ 230
    12 x1 @ 130

Weighted hyper extensions
    10 x 3

Horizontal leg press
    15 x 4 @ 120

Leg extensions
    15 x 2
    13 x 1

Seated leg curl
    15 x 3
    12 x 1

Donkey calf raises
    Stack 15 x 3
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Also a 25 min. walk around the neighborhood in the evening. Sore feet today. Wah.[/quote]

Dunno what chemo you had, so maybe this is irrelevant, but mine had peripheral neuropathy as a side effect. [. . .] and tended to be painful if I either walked much more than usual, or if I was feeling generally fatigued (poor sleep or whatever) and walked a more moderate but unusual amount.

ETA: For me, rubbing in Burt's Bees peppermint foot cream helped. One of my friends who has worse PN swears by ice.[/quote]

Ann, I take Capecitabine tablets (generic for Xeloda). I started with 4 tabs 2x/day, now down to 3 tabs 2X/ day because my feet turned dark red with blistering. They are peeling now, and so are my fingertips. Sometimes in the evening they get pretty bad, and I wake up in the night with my feet hurting, so that stinks, but then I can still get to the gym most days and do shortened versions of my old workouts, so that's something. I've got 40% urea cream and it helps. I'll give Burt's Bees peppermint a go.
    Perspective: the instructions the Rx came with actually say, "this medicine has killed people." So that's comforting. Or as we said in the 90s, "NOT!" :) --Amanda
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Incline press 3x12 (30lbs)
    Decline press 3x12 (40lbs)
    Shoulder press 3x12 (30lbs)
    Chest press 3x12@ (70lbs)
    Triceps press 3x12 (80lbs)

Front pulldown 3x12 (80lbs)
    Mid row 3x12 (125lbs)
    High row 3x12 (70lbs)
    Lat pulldown 3x12 (85lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (20lbs) single arm

Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    I would suggest moving the shoulder press to after the chest press (and before triceps press). At these weights it probably doesn't matter much, but as you get stronger and the weights increase, you will want the chest work done before the shoulder work.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I would suggest moving the shoulder press to after the chest press (and before triceps press). At these weights it probably doesn't matter much, but as you get stronger and the weights increase, you will want the chest work done before the shoulder work.

Those weren't necessarily in order, I copy/pasted from the note I keep to keep track of my weights. Usually I do chest/tri and back/bi on seperate days, but tomorrow is a 12+ hr drive, Saturday is moving my daughter into her rental, Sunday and Monday are hanging out where she lives and Tuesday is a 12hr drive back so I did both today.

So what I am hearing is I should do my incline and decline presses, my chest press, and probably pec fly, then do shoulder press, then triceps press?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    The most generic lifting order to maximize progress and minimize injury risk is:

1. Warmup
    2. Compound (multiple joints/muscles) moves
    3. Isolation moves

Within the compound moves, do the most difficult one first, whether it's difficult because it's the heaviest or the most technically demanding. Doing it first while you are fresh lets you focus on keeping every rep under control, reducing the chance of injury due to physical fatigue dropping or mental fatigue losing focus.

For push day like you have, you are aiming to hit chest, shoulders, and triceps. But almost all chest moves also involve shoulders to some degree, which not only makes them more complex, but if you try to do them while the shoulders are tired from previous work you increase the chance of something bad happening.

Yes, there is a counter argument that if I do chest first, by the time I do my shoulders next they are already tired, so doesn't that also increase the odds of something bad? It does, but this is often offset by the fact we use much smaller weights on shoulders than with chest.

Back to your question, you should begin your day with the different chest presses first, as they are the most demanding lifts you will do. What order to do the three (flat, incline, decline) is entirely personal for you. Whether you do the pec fly or the shoulder press next is also personal, as these two exercises do not overlap, but do keep the triceps press last, as it is an isolation movement.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Thanks! That is super informative.
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Today was a busy day but I managed to fit in a 3 mile run and yoga.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Walked my dog today.

I'm seeing lots of folks on MFP upset about the newsfeeds going away. Truth is, I've started using this particular thread as my newsfeed. Hope it goes on forever! You are all awesome.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowed this morning, 3 seat of the quad, the usual just under 7k.

Then went back to the rowing club in the afternoon to help get the rowing barge (in sections) out of its Winter storage spot, into the water, and assembled. When that was done, I helped with other boathouse physical chores. Some are hard to describe because boatclub-y, but also spent a big chunk of time hand-hauling armloads of brush from where one member was cutting dead branches out of a waterside tree, taking them to the woods for disposal off our lawn area. About 4.5 hours of work there altogether, some vigorous, some not.