Options
    60 minute Krav Maga striking class.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Why anyone would "woo" a person for posting what they did as a workout is astounding...
    My words

I joined a breast cancer survivors rowing team that was forming in my area (sponsored by a big university's women's rowing team) shortly after I finished cancer treatment, at age 46. I'd been mostly sedentary for years, and suddenly became active. Still rowing now, team & club, at age 63.

Our river freezes, so I machine row some in Winter (not as fun as boats ;) ).***

A surprising number of communities have rowing clubs that offer lessons, but they're not usually well-advertised, especially small shoestring volunteer-run clubs outside of the few cities that are major rowing centers.

And believe it or not, it was worse here on MFP before "woo" was an option. More arguments start when people post vehement disagreement, vs. just click.

*** ETA: On the water (OTW) rowers usually call the thing in shells/boats "rowing", sometimes distinguishing sculling (two oars per person) vs. sweep (one oar per person). OTW rowers call the machine activity "erging" usually (among themselves), and the machine itself an "erg".

Machine-only people often seem to call the machine activity "rowing", the machine a "rower", and the boat thing "on the water rowing".

I try to remember to call erging "machine rowing" here, because many non-rower people don't know the term "erging"

I looked into rowing clubs. None that are within my comfortable driving range. Plenty of lakes and rivers here, but likely too many elevation changes. Rivers really don't get big and flat-ish until you get to Columbia, and that's one of the rowing clubs.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Why anyone would "woo" a person for posting what they did as a workout is astounding...
    My words
    Agreed. I thankfully don't put a whole lot of stock in woos on posts that are clearly not wooable. The site that I'm on most frequently has a "disagree" button. There's still drama (enough that threads on the main forums about buttons have a time limit before they're closed), but at least there isn't the "oh I thought that this meant...".

As to your other topic, I got into rowing because I had a friend on the opposite coast who had been rowing from time to time recreationally and I thought it sounded fun. There are a few masters (adults) rowing clubs here that offer lessons to beginners from spring through early September and I managed to sign up in time to do the last full set of learn to row sessions (learn to row 1 and 2). That was about 9 months ago.
    My club rows on the water year round (weather, dock, and river conditions permitting), though in the winter we only row on the water on the weekends and have coached erg sessions 3 days a week. I am, clearly, very glad that I stuck out the winter months and my general anxiety related to unstable boats (which has gone way down) as I've made some very good friends and seem to really enjoy the sport.

See, I figured each of y'all had a specifc drive to get into erg or rowing, as for a lot of us, it's just not as natural a sport to access due to location, economic constraints, combinations, etc. I think a lot of people end up where I am on the bike because bikes and running are so ubiquitous. You can do either most places, city or suburbs. I'd assume if I was on a river city or back at the coast I'd find a lot more rowers. I agree that rowing sounds fun. But from the outside it looked like something only people with good luck or a solid income would be doing.. especially as swanky as the shells looked. I'm assuming those aren't cheap. Then again, spin bikes and such get stupidly expensive too, so might be something that is cheaper than I'd think.
    Recovery "milestone" of sorts. First 10K row in over 4 months today. Really felt good to do that. Also, over 40K meters on the week. Even did a "Power 10" today and was seeing low 1:50s, even a few 1:40s on pace. Overall pace still slow (2:23 @ 23 SPM), but hey, I'll take it. Roughly a 48 minute 10K.

I was getting frustrated (and still am) with pace, but just a little over a month ago, I couldn't do five minutes @ 2:30 pace, so it's slowly coming back. Coming back from injury in your mid 50s ain't no fun!

@ Centaraus - I'm not sure if you call what I do truly rowing, it's more "erging" because I only row on the machine. It's similar but still a bit apples to oranges. I got into it years ago when I was recovering from Chronic Runner's knee running. Found I liked it. Then, found out there's actually indoor "Regattas" where they race. My first race I sat down next to a guy that rowed a 6:47 2K at 63 (That's an incredible time. He's a very accomplished Indianapolis area OTW too). I finished a very distant second to him and I've been hooked since. Won the next year's competition at my age group and the following year. Moved up to Regionals last year and barely got second. Was working on training for either Nationals (the Crash-Bs) or US Rowing's World Indoor Championships when I got injured. I was hoping to place top 10 at worlds (out of around 30 competitors) for the 55 to 60 HWT class. That might have to wait until I'm 56 now with a long recovery. That and my stepson planned his wedding that same weekend this next year!

It's a very niche sport I do with not many followers but it's growing. Because the water (real rowing) can take years to learn, you can be great on a machine (fake boating) and be terrible in the water. But you can't be great in a boat if you don't have great cardio -- that's where the erg comes in. I hope to get out in a real boat in retirement in around 10 years. There's a significant over-the-water club around 90 minutes North of me in Phoenix.

I did multi-mile walks/jog/sprints on top of my biking marathon the past 2 days and my knees hated me for it. The reduction in impact is something that has had me looking seriously into kayaks the past 2 weeks. The full body aspect of erging/rowing caught my attention, as previously mentioned, the running is hell on knees and biking is only good for half the body when stationary and not spinning.

Thanks for all the very helpful and detailed responses. I think I'm gonna stick to my summer goal of a new kayak since I'm minutes from quite a few bodies of water. I figure kayaking is in my price range and will cover the core/top half of my body really well in an engaged workout sort of way, where as the bike and hiking has my legs down great.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options

I joined a breast cancer survivors rowing team that was forming in my area (sponsored by a big university's women's rowing team) shortly after I finished cancer treatment, at age 46. I'd been mostly sedentary for years, and suddenly became active. Still rowing now, team & club, at age 63.

Our river freezes, so I machine row some in Winter (not as fun as boats ;) ).***

A surprising number of communities have rowing clubs that offer lessons, but they're not usually well-advertised, especially small shoestring volunteer-run clubs outside of the few cities that are major rowing centers.

And believe it or not, it was worse here on MFP before "woo" was an option. More arguments start when people post vehement disagreement, vs. just click.

*** ETA: On the water (OTW) rowers usually call the thing in shells/boats "rowing", sometimes distinguishing sculling (two oars per person) vs. sweep (one oar per person). OTW rowers call the machine activity "erging" usually (among themselves), and the machine itself an "erg".

Machine-only people often seem to call the machine activity "rowing", the machine a "rower", and the boat thing "on the water rowing".

I try to remember to call erging "machine rowing" here, because many non-rower people don't know the term "erging"

I looked into rowing clubs. None that are within my comfortable driving range. Plenty of lakes and rivers here, but likely too many elevation changes. Rivers really don't get big and flat-ish until you get to Columbia, and that's one of the rowing clubs.
    Agreed. I thankfully don't put a whole lot of stock in woos on posts that are clearly not wooable. The site that I'm on most frequently has a "disagree" button. There's still drama (enough that threads on the main forums about buttons have a time limit before they're closed), but at least there isn't the "oh I thought that this meant...".

As to your other topic, I got into rowing because I had a friend on the opposite coast who had been rowing from time to time recreationally and I thought it sounded fun. There are a few masters (adults) rowing clubs here that offer lessons to beginners from spring through early September and I managed to sign up in time to do the last full set of learn to row sessions (learn to row 1 and 2). That was about 9 months ago.
    My club rows on the water year round (weather, dock, and river conditions permitting), though in the winter we only row on the water on the weekends and have coached erg sessions 3 days a week. I am, clearly, very glad that I stuck out the winter months and my general anxiety related to unstable boats (which has gone way down) as I've made some very good friends and seem to really enjoy the sport.

See, I figured each of y'all had a specifc drive to get into erg or rowing, as for a lot of us, it's just not as natural a sport to access due to location, economic constraints, combinations, etc. I think a lot of people end up where I am on the bike because bikes and running are so ubiquitous. You can do either most places, city or suburbs. I'd assume if I was on a river city or back at the coast I'd find a lot more rowers. I agree that rowing sounds fun. But from the outside it looked like something only people with good luck or a solid income would be doing.. especially as swanky as the shells looked. I'm assuming those aren't cheap. Then again, spin bikes and such get stupidly expensive too, so might be something that is cheaper than I'd think.

Rowing's not as expensive, necessarily, as people think. I live in Michigan (palm of the mitten area). Local rowing club full-year dues are $275 for a single adult. The club owns boats. Once you know how to row and join, you get a key to the boathouse and can go anytime you wish and take out a club single. Those of us with our own boats also rent rack space and keep them there, right on the river. Big city clubs with fancier facilities, coaching, etc., can be more expensive.

The shells are expensive to buy new (several thousand dollars for a single), but are available used for somewhat less.
    Recovery "milestone" of sorts. First 10K row in over 4 months today. Really felt good to do that. Also, over 40K meters on the week. Even did a "Power 10" today and was seeing low 1:50s, even a few 1:40s on pace. Overall pace still slow (2:23 @ 23 SPM), but hey, I'll take it. Roughly a 48 minute 10K.

I was getting frustrated (and still am) with pace, but just a little over a month ago, I couldn't do five minutes @ 2:30 pace, so it's slowly coming back. Coming back from injury in your mid 50s ain't no fun!

@ Centaraus - I'm not sure if you call what I do truly rowing, it's more "erging" because I only row on the machine. It's similar but still a bit apples to oranges. I got into it years ago when I was recovering from Chronic Runner's knee running. Found I liked it. Then, found out there's actually indoor "Regattas" where they race. My first race I sat down next to a guy that rowed a 6:47 2K at 63 (That's an incredible time. He's a very accomplished Indianapolis area OTW too). I finished a very distant second to him and I've been hooked since. Won the next year's competition at my age group and the following year. Moved up to Regionals last year and barely got second. Was working on training for either Nationals (the Crash-Bs) or US Rowing's World Indoor Championships when I got injured. I was hoping to place top 10 at worlds (out of around 30 competitors) for the 55 to 60 HWT class. That might have to wait until I'm 56 now with a long recovery. That and my stepson planned his wedding that same weekend this next year!

It's a very niche sport I do with not many followers but it's growing. Because the water (real rowing) can take years to learn, you can be great on a machine (fake boating) and be terrible in the water. But you can't be great in a boat if you don't have great cardio -- that's where the erg comes in. I hope to get out in a real boat in retirement in around 10 years. There's a significant over-the-water club around 90 minutes North of me in Phoenix.

I did multi-mile walks/jog/sprints on top of my biking marathon the past 2 days and my knees hated me for it. The reduction in impact is something that has had me looking seriously into kayaks the past 2 weeks. The full body aspect of erging/rowing caught my attention, as previously mentioned, the running is hell on knees and biking is only good for half the body when stationary and not spinning.

Thanks for all the very helpful and detailed responses. I think I'm gonna stick to my summer goal of a new kayak since I'm minutes from quite a few bodies of water. I figure kayaking is in my price range and will cover the core/top half of my body really well in an engaged workout sort of way, where as the bike and hiking has my legs down great.

Keep in mind that rowing (boat or machine) isn't balanced, either: It's all lower body push and upper body pull.

Kayaking sounds like a great option to complement your biking/hiking, though. And it's really fun! I like to kayak and canoe, but it's so convenient to go to the rowing club and take out a boat, vs. loading up a canoe or kayak on my car and driving someplace with it . . . so I don't canoe and kayak as much anymore. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

That sucks about the lack of rowing clubs. I know at least one person who drives about an hour to get to practices but, needless to say, they don't come on a very regular basis and I wouldn't either with that commute. I suspect that a lot of people just flat out don't think of trying out rowing. It's not especially popular in the US so why would they? I've never lived in a city that hasn't have multiple rowing clubs, but it wasn't really on my radar as something I might want to try until three or four years ago. It's actually kind of funny because it turns out my mom's best friend's daughter, who I have spent more time with than anyone in my extended family and is 9 months older than me, rowed for at least a few years in high school. I had no idea until her mom brought it up a month or two ago. Mind you, I would have had no time for it in high school and I'm glad I wasn't rowing in HS for a few reasons that don't need to be gone into here.

My rowing club is significantly more expensive than Ann's, but it sounds like mine has significantly more coaching than her's does (do you all get any consistent coaching @AnnPT77 ? ). That said, no one is turned away due to lack of funds where I row and there are a number of different rates.

I am very jealous of your kayaking goal! I've been wanting to go kayaking for ages but it just hasn't happened for whatever reason. It's funny because I have friends who live more or less next door to one of the kayak stores in town. As in, you could throw a stone from the deck of their floating home to the dock that the kayak store launches out of for their kayaking classes.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Saturday
    1mile run to keep streak going

Bootcamp - lots of leg work and burpees involved today, let's hope that the DOMS don't kick in until after 12pm tomorrow

• Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Pretty_Little_Nobody Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Circuits class
    Zumba
    Pilates
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    Biking:
    300 in 30: Day 11
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    010|300 Miles - 31:53
    020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
    040|300 Miles - 30:40
    050|300 Miles - 31:12
    060|300 Miles - 30:59
    070|300 Miles - 29:33
    080|300 Miles - 30:34
    090|300 Miles - 29:52
    100|300 Miles - 34:00
    110|300 Miles - 31:53

I might do a walk later if the storm passes on. Just flat out exhausted today. Not physically so much as "I need a vacation but I have no interest in vacation spots".

I considered just renting a camping spot at the lake near my house for my birthday and just doing nothing.. But that's just not realistic. Two family member's surgery = my time is a fleeting thing.

Still, in good news, my Trekking Poles arrived. They feel a bit cheapish, but I'm good with them for $22. Cascade Mountain Tech Trek Poles feel pretty okay. New hydration backpack will be in next week, then I'll be hiking every chance I get.

Good luck to everyone else this weekend and congrats on the progress! Everything we do beyond sitting on a couch is progress. I certainly wouldn't have been biking or hiking this time last year. Felt like straight up death 100lbs+ ago in May 2018.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    Fun row in a quad, me in bow (do steering), Big Ten Champion rower (from early 2000s) in stroke, around 8500 meters.
    <snip>
    . . . do you all get any consistent coaching @AnnPT77 ?

No coaching staff at the club, though sometimes the learn-to-row coaches or the university coaches offer pithy drive-by tips. My (once a week, academic year) team has a coach, not very assertive (team's mostly a wellness program). Sometimes one of the collegiate coaches has offered for-pay coached times or intermediate classes, and I've hired private coaching (university club head coach) a bunch of times. I've been to multiple rowing camps, sweep and scull. When pursuing coaching certs, I went to various land-based classes (some required for cert) and some coaching conferences (not required), and I took a cox training workshop, all of which helps sharpen one's own rowing a bit, too.

It's a "get it where you can" world here.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Fun row in a quad, me in bow (do steering), Big Ten Champion rower (from early 2000s) in stroke, around 8500 meters.
    <snip>
    . . . do you all get any consistent coaching @AnnPT77 ?

No coaching staff at the club, though sometimes the learn-to-row coaches or the university coaches offer pithy drive-by tips. My (once a week, academic year) team has a coach, not very assertive (team's mostly a wellness program). Sometimes one of the collegiate coaches has offered for-pay coached times or intermediate classes, and I've hired private coaching (university club head coach) a bunch of times. I've been to multiple rowing camps, sweep and scull. When pursuing coaching certs, I went to various land-based classes (some required for cert) and some coaching conferences (not required), and I took a cox training workshop, all of which helps sharpen one's own rowing a bit, too.

It's a "get it where you can" world here.

Yeah that's more or less what I figured. Meanwhile we have....four coaches across the sweep teams and there is a minimum of one who exclusively coaches the scullers but I know at least one of the people who coaches the women's sweep team also coaches the scullers, and there are a few part time coaches scattered through the teams. That's not counting the LTR instructors
  • aokoye
    edited May 2019
    Options
    No coxing for me today - I will volunteer for to cox on Thursday so I can get it over with. It's not that I don't like it, its that I lack any confidence. Rowed for 2 hours this morning - 2 seat in an 8. After our very long warm up we did four 6 min pieces with the rate for the first 4 min at 28 and the last 2 min at a 30. I was better about not rushing the slide today and I think I may have gotten some backsplash though it's still such a mystery to me.

Monday is novices, Tuesday is erging, and Wednesday is learn to scull with at least two people who I really enjoy rowing with. I'm also probably going to add swimming once a week into my workout schedule of sorts, because cross training is important and swimming does very good things for me in terms of core stability. More than likely on Wednesday I'll have sculling, eat breakfast, go to class (an hour and 15ish min), then swim.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    10 minute treadmill warmup
    Deadlifts 3x8
    Seated DB press 3x8
    Assisted pull-ups 3x7
    Will walk the dogs in a bit, 1-2 miles.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Run 5:40 walk 0:20 for 10 rounds = 5.90 miles in 60 minutes.

Compare to 5/5/2019 of 5.96 miles and comparable HR stats - today start 3:15 pm 81F degrees 33 percent humidity - 5/5/2019 start 10:59 am 63F degrees.

Didn’t want to do this, glad I did.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Sunday
    Colchester 10k
    Wasnt particularly fast but was more an exercise to make sure my legs still worked and to get round without stopping or walking. Discovered that I prefer undulating courses to those that are flat like today's.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    Biking:
    300 in 30: Day 12
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    010|300 Miles - 31:53
    020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
    040|300 Miles - 30:40
    050|300 Miles - 31:12
    060|300 Miles - 30:59
    070|300 Miles - 29:33
    080|300 Miles - 30:34
    090|300 Miles - 29:52
    100|300 Miles - 34:00
    110|300 Miles - 31:53
    120|300 Miles - 30:28

Getting dressed in my hiking gear and rain be blasted, I'm getting out today. I went to grab the only new raincoat I have that's also lightweight, one I ordered in August of last year, and is gigantic looking on me now, and sadly put it on. I had an idea then. I grabbed my backpack, put the jacket on over that, and it fit with plenty of space left to spare. Et voila, rainproof backpack jacket. Thanks Columbia. I figured that awesome jacket was doomed to go to Goodwill. (Doomed for me, since I love the thing, awesome find for someone else, as it's nice af. )

I'm really more glad than I thought to get more use out of that Watertight II Jacket. Now, off to get the boots on, eat a quick snack of meat and cheese, and get out to the lake to hit the trails. Good luck to everyone else in their fitness attempts today! Also, Happy Mother's Day to those out there celebrating it.

Tomorrow is either a hike day or a rest day. I'd planned on taking my birthday off from anything.. buuuuut exercise is a rolling stone. Hard to stop once going. Hitting the Nat'l forest tomorrow would be a really good day in my book.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Rest day so tomorrow will be a fresh day.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    10km Hike. Expected a thunderstorm. Packed for a thunderstorm. Got amazing weather and a beautiful sunny day instead.

So that's around 16.2 miles total exercise today. 10 miles biking, 6.2ish on foot hiking. Fantastic day. Birthday hike tomorrow as well I think.
  • aokoye
    Options
    10km Hike. Expected a thunderstorm. Packed for a thunderstorm. Got amazing weather and a beautiful sunny day instead.

So that's around 16.2 miles total exercise today. 10 miles biking, 6.2ish on foot hiking. Fantastic day. Birthday hike tomorrow as well I think.

Sounds lovely and yay for May birthdays! (mine was this past Wednesday).
  • rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bicep curls. 5 sets x 20 lbs
    Hammer curls 3 sets x 20 lbs
    Leg raises 15 reps x 3 sets
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options

Sounds lovely and yay for May birthdays! (mine was this past Wednesday).

Happy belated!

It's just the best month, eh? At least in North America. No hurricanes yet in the Southeast, rain is mostly here and there, pollen blooms have died down a bit.

It was a fantastic day and I'm probably going back to kayak tomorrow. Found so many camp sites and launch points along the way today.
  • Domonicdave
    Domonicdave Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    12 mile run at 10:40 pace. Slow, i know, but the furthest I’ve ran in 15 years. I’m hoping to get my pace up to 9:00, so sprints will be happening soon