December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I am doing my Christmas shopping (hubby doesn't like to shop but lets me spend so it's all good) and need input. What is one piece of running gear, gadget, dohickey, thingy, whatever you can't live without and why?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am doing my Christmas shopping (hubby doesn't like to shop but lets me spend so it's all good) and need input. What is one piece of running gear, gadget, dohickey, thingy, whatever you can't live without and why?

I'm currently sitting in the car on my lunch break while my husband ducks into a running store to buy me more running socks (smart wool, crew length, shoe size 9, surprise me with the colour - I gave him very clear instructions LOL). Good socks are a game changer.

I also have a thin, fleece-lined water resistant running jacket that works for me in -1C and also -25C because I can wear it with just a t-shirt when it's less cold and with multiple thermal layers when it is more cold. It has a million pockets.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Good shoes! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'd like to put together a training plan. I suspect I can use Garmin.

Anyone know of an easy way to plan? I wont be able to make a 12-16 week plan, but would like to do a few weeks or a month.

I suppose i can just do a memo plan...

What do you use?

@Elise4270 What are you training for?

Come back really. I'd like to just make a return to running plan through January. Then with any luck plan a half late in the year... Unless the doc wants to fix this labrum tear... Then I just need a regular running schedule to keep me engaged.

I'm trying to get away from "do i feel like i can tolerate a run" kind of schedule.

Grab like 5k or 10k training plan and just do that?
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I'm currently sitting in the car on my lunch break while my husband ducks into a running store to buy me more running socks (smart wool, crew length, shoe size 9, surprise me with the colour - I gave him very clear instructions LOL). Good socks are a game changer.

I also have a thin, fleece-lined water resistant running jacket that works for me in -1C and also -25C because I can wear it with just a t-shirt when it's less cold and with multiple thermal layers when it is more cold. It has a million pockets.

I love my Darn Tough socks and have three pairs in my shopping cart :wink: I have two Eddie Bauer water and wind proof jackets that I love but I do wish they had more pockets!
  • debrakgoogins
    Options

Just bought new ones about a month ago. I'll save that for my birthday in March!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Just bought new ones about a month ago. I'll save that for my birthday in March!

BODY GLIDE for all the parts that wiggle and jiggle ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I'd vote for my unlined windbreaker as my single must-have item (leaving aside broader categories like "shoes" "socks" and "something to keep my butt warm"). Much like the jacket @sarahthes mentioned, I can wear it in a wide range of temperatures by varying the layers underneath. I do most of my runnings around medium-sized bodies of water, so wind is always an issue! ETA: It's also bright red/orange, so the extra visibility is nice.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Anyone know of an easy way to plan? I wont be able to make a 12-16 week plan, but would like to do a few weeks or a month.

What do you use?

Come back really. I'd like to just make a return to running plan through January. Then with any luck plan a half late in the year... Unless the doc wants to fix this labrum tear... Then I just need a regular running schedule to keep me engaged.

I'm trying to get away from "do i feel like i can tolerate a run" kind of schedule.

I hadn't thought about that. I can make my own plan, i just wanted a tracker or something that would let me make it digitally. But, garmins beginners 5k or 10k may be a good start.

Thanks!
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    @PastorVincent Already on that one - stocking stuffer item purchased.
    @MegaMooseEsq I have an unlined, breathable rain jacket I got from Eddie Bauer. Is that similar or should I invest in something different?
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    I hadn't thought about that. I can make my own plan, i just wanted a tracker or something that would let me make it digitally.

I used an app called seconds pro to build my plan when I first started. It was pretty easy to use and allowed me to play my own music but still hear the prompts to run, walk, etc. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for but it was great for me.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Already on that one - stocking stuffer item purchased.
    @MegaMooseEsq I have an unlined, breathable rain jacket I got from Eddie Bauer. Is that similar or should I invest in something different?

Wind is more of an issue for me than rain so I don't think of it strictly as a rain jacket but it sounds like basically the same thing.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I think they are similar. I use it when it's raining and/or windy. One of my favorite things I've bought is a wind/water resistent lightweight fleece jacket. It is perfect for running in cold weather. It is breathable but with a longsleeve base layer it keeps me warm without overheating. I put the rain jacket over top one day when it was in the low 20's and realized quickly that it was too warm.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

What do you use?

I hadn't thought about that. I can make my own plan, i just wanted a tracker or something that would let me make it digitally. But, garmins beginners 5k or 10k may be a good start.

Thanks!

@Elise4270 I create my own training plans in Google Sheets. Each row is a week, then the columns are the days of the week and a column for each week's total.

I put in my planned daily miles then go back and update it with the actual miles.

If I'm motivated I also use different colors in the blocks for different run types.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 yay! Gotta love a good spreadsheet :-)