December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Interesting study on why maximalist shoes may not be a good idea:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2187709-the-most-comfortable-running-shoes-may-actually-increase-injury-risk/

(Behind a paywall, sorry. The gist is as follows.)
    Juha-Pekka Kulmala at the University of Helsinki in Finland and his colleagues studied the biomechanics of 12 healthy men aged 22 to 32 as they ran in two shoe types – a regular sneaker with 33 millimetres of cushioning under the heel and 22 millimetres under the forefoot, and a highly-cushioned “maximalist” sneaker with a 43-millimetre heel and 37-millimetre forefoot height.

The participants ran at two different speeds – 10 and 15 kilometres per hour – along a 30-metre platform that measured how hard their feet hit the ground. They also wore reflective stickers that allowed video cameras to capture their motion.

At both speeds, the runners landed on their feet harder when they wore the maximalist sneakers than the regular kind. The peak impact force was 6 per cent higher on average at the slower running speed and 11 per cent higher at the faster speed.

Leg stiffness
    The video analysis suggested this was because the runners bent their knees and ankles less when they wore the maximalist shoes, which caused their bodies to decelerate faster as they landed and placed extra stress on their legs.

Normally when we run, our legs act like springs that compress as the feet land and then release as they take off, says Kulmala. But because highly-cushioned shoes already compress under the feet, the legs don’t need to compress as much themselves, meaning they bend less at the knees and ankles, he says.

This extra leg stiffness and higher ground impact means that running in maximalist sneakers is likely to increase the risk of injuries, particularly stress fractures, says Kulmala. It also means that the common advice given to injury-prone runners to buy shoes with more padding may actually backfire, he says.

Yes, I read the study elsewhere.

This was bad news for Hoka fans. Good news for Brooks fans.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Just stopping by to say I WILL be running 4-5 miles today. Posting here to make sure I’m held accountable 😂

You can and will do it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Just stopping by to say I WILL be running 4-5 miles today. Posting here to make sure I’m held accountable 😂

Well, I lied. No 4-5 miles for me today, because I JUST RAN 7.5 MILES!! Holy *kitten*! My longest distance ever! I’m literally on cloud 9! And I did it on a dreadmill and ENJOYED IT!

YAY!!! CONGRATS!!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Thought some here might appreciate these instructions for the upcoming festivities
    0wxlp3pi4sog.jpg

This is GREAT!!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Loved the share @eleanorhawkins !
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,124 Member
    Options
    Done with week 1 day 1 of C25K.

Good job! Off to a good start! Keep it up!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'd like to put together a training plan. I suspect I can use Garmin.

Anyone know of an easy way to plan? I wont be able to make a 12-16 week plan, but would like to do a few weeks or a month.

I suppose i can just do a memo plan...

What do you use?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    Well, I lied. No 4-5 miles for me today, because I JUST RAN 7.5 MILES!! Holy *kitten*! My longest distance ever! I’m literally on cloud 9! And I did it on a dreadmill and ENJOYED IT!

Congratulations! Well done.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'd like to put together a training plan. I suspect I can use Garmin.

Anyone know of an easy way to plan? I wont be able to make a 12-16 week plan, but would like to do a few weeks or a month.

I suppose i can just do a memo plan...

What do you use?

@Elise4270 What are you training for?