December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you who have chest strap HR monitors.
    What do you use?
    What do you like/dislike about yours?
    How is the battery life?

I have a Polar H10 and in the last few months spent a boatload on batteries. The latest battery (fresh out of a new package) lasted not even a week, just 2 - 1 hour workouts on the bike at the gym 😣 Its not even 2 years old...

TIA
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for those of you who have chest strap HR monitors.
    What do you use?
    What do you like/dislike about yours?
    How is the battery life?

I have a Polar H10 and in the last few months spent a boatload on batteries. The latest battery (fresh out of a new package) lasted not even a week, just 2 - 1 hour workouts on the bike at the gym 😣 Its not even 2 years old...

TIA

I have the Garmin run strap. It came with the 620. I have had it 4-5 years and replaced the battery once. I like it.

It seems to stretch out/loosen and i find i need to tighten it up before runs. As you know, I'm bad about washing stuff (hats, hrm, car towel, feet..) and find that I am prone to breakouts on my back along the strap if i dont wash it regularly. But, i find this also to be a problem at my waist band of my shorts which i wash and remove promptly after runs- well remove and then wash promptly. Vice versa would be just silly.

During the summer I more frequently shower with it after a run/bike. But have found antibacterial hand soap to be most effective.

Its comfortable. No chaffing. Gathers extra metrics for you to study and reflect on.

Happy shopping! This is the time of year to find a deal!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @corriepelc Welcome! You are never too late to join this group! I'm sure you'll find some great company here. It souds like this is where you belong!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks @elise4270 and @garygse - I will check the Garmin HRM out... I don't have a Garmin watch so will have to see if it will talk to my Apple watch... Yes I could get a Garmin watch too but I really love my Apple watch! The only issue have with it is the HRM which in my case has problems when I work out, especially at the beginning and end of workouts and will regularly give me a HR way higher than my HR ever goes - ie.. from consistently 45 jumping to over 200 at the start of a workout and then somewhere in the middle going back to a normal level for me. So the HRM is better for that reason.

Welcome @corriepelc to our crazy group of runners! Warning the group can be addicting and the discussion moves really fast!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @elise4270 and @garygse - I will check the Garmin HRM out... I don't have a Garmin watch so will have to see if it will talk to my Apple watch... Yes I could get a Garmin watch too but I really love my Apple watch! The only issue have with it is the HRM which in my case has problems when I work out, especially at the beginning and end of workouts and will regularly give me a HR way higher than my HR ever goes - ie.. from consistently 45 jumping to over 200 at the start of a workout and then somewhere in the middle going back to a normal level for me. So the HRM is better for that reason.

Welcome @corriepelc to our crazy group of runners! Warning the group can be addicting and the discussion moves really fast!

I see this also. @MobyCarp found us an explanation having to do with connectivity i believe. That 200bpm in the first 5 minutes is bogus.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    corriepelc wrote: »
    Hi everyone! New to MyFitnessPal and a bit late to start this challenge (although I've been following the #RWRunStreak this month).

A bit about me -- about four years I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy, spurring me to start eating cleaner and finally lose weight. I returned to Weight Watchers, where I was able to lose 60 lbs, reclaimed Lifetime status, and became a runner in the process.

I unfortunately have put on a few of my pounds back since the summer due to stress. And I also have found myself struggling with WW's food limitations as I am now a half-marathoner and I work out normally twice a day, with strength training in the morning and running/Zumba in the evening. I'm now working with a sports nutritionist to lose those few pounds I gained and make sure I'm fueling myself properly, and she suggested I use MyFitnessPal.

I'm looking forward to learning lots, and definitely participating in next month's running challenge!

I decided in 2019 to run at least one race a month, so I already have a 5Ks lined up for January and February, and in March I'll be running my fourth half-marathon on St. Paddy's Day.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome!!!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    @corriepelc Welcome!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Make sure your watch is on snuggly. The Apple Watch, probably due to its curved backside, is more prone to move around than Garmin, and others. So make sure there is no play in it and it stays put.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    corriepelc wrote: »
    Hi everyone! New to MyFitnessPal and a bit late to start this challenge (although I've been following the #RWRunStreak this month).

A bit about me -- about four years I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy, spurring me to start eating cleaner and finally lose weight. I returned to Weight Watchers, where I was able to lose 60 lbs, reclaimed Lifetime status, and became a runner in the process.

I unfortunately have put on a few of my pounds back since the summer due to stress. And I also have found myself struggling with WW's food limitations as I am now a half-marathoner and I work out normally twice a day, with strength training in the morning and running/Zumba in the evening. I'm now working with a sports nutritionist to lose those few pounds I gained and make sure I'm fueling myself properly, and she suggested I use MyFitnessPal.

I'm looking forward to learning lots, and definitely participating in next month's running challenge!

I decided in 2019 to run at least one race a month, so I already have a 5Ks lined up for January and February, and in March I'll be running my fourth half-marathon on St. Paddy's Day.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    1---2.01
    2---2.0 TM
    4---1.0 TM barefoot for form
    9---3.0 TM
    11---2.0 TM
    14---2.0 TM
    15---4.0 intervals
    16---5.0 intervals
    19---2.0 TM

23/45 miles

I have a small dilemma. I have a half training plan, one of those wishful thinking kinda things. Tomorrow is 4 miles
    Friday 0
    sat 2,
    sunday 5

The problem. I wont do 4 tomorrow.

Or i could suck it up and try the 4 on the TM before work. Four miles requires intervals outside.

I see the wisdom in separating the 4 and 5 miles, buuuuutt, would it be heinous to stay with 4-5 on sat sun?

Whats the pioint of a plan if i wont follow it, right?

Whats your vote? Grow up/put on my big girl running pants and do the TM even walk if i gotta?
    Or
    Scootch it to Saturday? And hope for nice weather? Forcast is 60F... Omg!!!

Oh now just nevermind. I'm running Saturday :blush: doch, if you have suggestions I'm open because i still have 18 more weeks on this plan.

Dh just got his "in training" shirt for the race i wont be running but hopefully am sneaking up on. Grrrr :rage: i want it.

Upcoming races
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
    Run the Year team A 400+ miles
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I see this also. @MobyCarp found us an explanation having to do with connectivity i believe. That 200bpm in the first 5 minutes is bogus.

I'm not so sure what to think about the early high heart rate. I was really liking the newer HRMs that came with the 630, but . . . they break. After the fourth one, I gave up on replacing them and went back to the HRM that came with my old 620. Tightening it up fixed the chafing problem that I'd had; but the elevated HR at the beginning of a run is more pronounced. I'd heard a Garmin rep refer to that as a connection issue, till you sweat enough to get a good contact; but that doesn't explain why my HR makes sense for standing, sitting, lying down, and walking around before I start running. So . . . here's my heart rate chart from today's run:

duguu59vjqqu.png

I don't know whether my HR really went to 184 early on, but the high reading corresponds to a real physiological warmup phenomenon. It comes down when I'm getting comfortable in my run, my footstrike is softer, and I'm getting into the groove. If I run a 2 mile warmup before speed work, the HR might be elevated right to the end of the warmup, then look normal for the speed work proper.

I certainly don't feel like a 184 HR; but perhaps the heart is beating lightly and rapidly, and warming up means it gives stronger beats less frequently? I don't know. It's also possible that there's a connectivity/measurement technical glitch that happens to correspond with the physical warmup period. I do know that when I wear my Vivofit and look at the HR, the HR coming down corresponds really well with my getting into the groove of running comfortably. What I don't know is how high my HR *really* is during that warmup period. The newer HRM (the model that breaks) didn't show this as much, and showed a lesser elevation when it did; so I think part of it is measurement issue. I don't know how much.

Edit to add: The idea was just an easy run, and there were a few hills; but the hills came during the period of lower HR. Also, I see I ran the last 2 miles around marathon pace instead of easy; and that's also where the HR is low. The high HR period is when I was running slowest.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    1---2.01
    2---2.0 TM
    4---1.0 TM barefoot for form
    9---3.0 TM
    11---2.0 TM
    14---2.0 TM
    15---4.0 intervals
    16---5.0 intervals
    19---2.0 TM

23/45 miles

I have a small dilemma. I have a half training plan, one of those wishful thinking kinda things. Tomorrow is 4 miles
    Friday 0
    sat 2,
    sunday 5

The problem. I wont do 4 tomorrow.

Or i could suck it up and try the 4 on the TM before work. Four miles requires intervals outside.

I see the wisdom in separating the 4 and 5 miles, buuuuutt, would it be heinous to stay with 4-5 on sat sun?

Whats the pioint of a plan if i wont follow it, right?

Whats your vote? Grow up/put on my big girl running pants and do the TM even walk if i gotta?
    Or
    Scootch it to Saturday? And hope for nice weather? Forcast is 60F... Omg!!!

Oh now just nevermind. I'm running Saturday :blush: doch, if you have suggestions I'm open because i still have 18 more weeks on this plan.

Dh just got his "in training" shirt for the race i wont be running but hopefully am sneaking up on. Grrrr :rage: i want it.

Upcoming races
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
    Run the Year team A 400+ miles
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest

Honestly, I am a firm believer in back to back long runs, so I would lean towards the 4 on Saturday, the 5 on Sunday, and the 2 miles tomorrow... but that is just what I would. It is not necessarily smart to do what I would do...