December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_
    i don't like it bouncing around either. if i'm not careful, i make myself motion sick
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    12/1 = sick
    12/2 = sick
    12/3 = sick / 3 miles
    12/4 = 10 miles
    12/5 = 3 miles
    12/6 = 3 miles
    12/7 = thunderstorms
    12/8 = 11 miles
    12/9 = 10 miles
    12/10 = stupid work
    12/11 = 3 miles
    12/12 = 19 miles
    12/13 = rest day
    12/14 = 3 miles
    12/15 = 13 miles (Stars at Night Half)
    12/16 = rest day
    12/17 = 3 miles
    12/18 = 40 minutes strength training
    12/19 = 10 miles

@shanaber RE: Flipbelt crops

I like them! I was worried they were going to fall down with water and my phone stuck in the waistband. They stayed up like a champ. Nothing fell out. Plus, it was more comfortable than my Nathan hydration belt. The water bottles don’t hold that much water but that won’t be a huge issue until the summer heat hits. If I wasn’t broke from race entry fees and Christmas, I would buy another pair.

December goal miles = 150 / 91 miles to date

Upcoming Races:
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    4/6/19 = Wanderlust half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
    Run the Year 2019. GO Team B! 1,550 yearly miles pledged. Join us : https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks @amymoreorless! I will try a pair. I have several pairs of the Lucy capris with the thigh pockets that I love but when the sold out to NorthFace they apparently discontinued all of them even though they were supposedly keeping some of the styles. So now I am looking for alternatives. I do like Oiselle but they are so expensive and rarely have sales.

I saw this in RW and had to post it... this 70 yo runner not only broke his AG Marathon record that had stood for 14 years he also just as amazingly, two weeks prior, ran a 50k on a Saturday and the CIM the next day!
    https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a25593341/70-year-old-marathon-record/
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Re: strength training. It may not be your thing, but I do rock climbing as my strength training. I sort of like lifting weights, but never did find something I could stick with. But I LOVE rock climbing. It's interactive and social and so challenging, both mentally and physically. It's like exercising while solving puzzles, so I find it hard to get bored. And no 2 climbs are ever the same! Certainly not conventional strength training, but it works for me! I'm always trying to introduce people to the sport!

My son is a rock climber. He is home from college for the Christmas break. We climb together whenever he is home. It is a full body workout and I find muscles that I forgot existed each time we go. I was so sore the day after! I never think about going alone, maybe I will do it a few times and surprise him with my improvement for next time he is home.

On the subject of cross training, I love lifting and cross training! I do a cardio kickboxing class twice a week, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at least once a week and work with a trainer on Mondays and Fridays. I find it much harder to stick to my running plan than I do sticking to a workout regimine.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I went for a run! Woo hoo! I did 5k! Even better. Pretty much a tempo run of 5:40min/km so that's brilliant! Given I haven't run in a week, it wasn't as bad as I expected. And I feel good. All the minor niggles and annoyances have gone. I figure I'll do 4k tomorrow then 6 the day after. Sort of building a base again.

In other news, I won an academic excellence award this year! (feeling smart) and got a $150 voucher to spend at the mall (equivalent of around $80-100usd) and i have no idea what to spend it on! The mall is 4hrs drive away, and I will be there after Christmas. They have a proper running store but my shoes tend to be twice that haha. Socks?

Why is my first thought running gear?? You guys have corrupted me!

congratulations :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    not that you all aren't awesome but i sorta miss @LaDispute57 too
  • mbaker566
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm back from my hunting trip, only 12 pages behind! I'll try to catch up over the next few days.

I was good, for the most part. I limited my walking to 5500 to 7500 steps the first 3 days and never walked a field, but I did walk the last two fields on the fourth day (about 2 miles total) and ended up with over 11,000 steps that day. My foot felt like it was getting better every day, so I'm optimistic about recovery.

Kody had a wonderful time. He was in heaven! He is so happy out there hunting. It does wear him out though. My brother tracks his steps and based on his count, and guessing that Kody is running three times the distance, that's 22 miles a day for 4 days for Kody!

A couple Kody photos. One on the last day in the field, and one after the hunt, curled up in the back seat, ready to go home.

For the squeamish, there are no dead animals in the photos.
    dhwcz5abmlka.jpg

avj9de820tqb.jpg

29 more days until my next run!

did you have any success?
    he looks very happy
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    not that you all aren't awesome but i sorta miss @LaDispute57 too

He comes and goes like the wind. Even likes to change his name from time to time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/4 - 0 KM
    12/5 - 12 miles
    12/6 - Cookies
    12/7 - 12 miles
    12/8 - Christmas Party
    12/9 - Game Night
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 - 7 miles
    12/12 - Work Dinner
    12/13 - 12 miles
    12/14 - 12 miles
    12/15 - 0 KM
    12/16 - 10.5 miles
    12/17 - 13.1 miles
    12/18 - 0KM
    12/19 - 8 miles

No time for a full run, just had an hour, so knocked out what I could and was only a little over.

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Kody looks wonderful! I always love seeing pictures of him! Glad the trip was so successful even if not for getting the most birds!

@avidkeo - congratulations on your academic award! Hope you find something you really want to spend it on, running related or not!