WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Rori love how you describe the internal smile.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Sorry about the tension between you and DH. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Sue: Congrats on getting your decorating and shopping done. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Allie: We have more than one fake fireplace. We enjoy the cozy feel and the heat. One is in our bedroom, and a tiny one is in our RV. Ours resemble woodstoves with a window but are not made of metal. We also have a natural gas fireplace downstairs. We enjoy them all. The nice thing about the electric ones is that you don’t need a chimney or to remodel your home to put one in. Good luck shopping. I don’t remember where we bought ours, and neither does DH. I see that there are some available on Amazon. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Rebecca: I love your advent calendar. WTG!!!

I crocheted hats for my DH and my son, and now my son would like two more, one for his wife and one for our grandson. I am running out of luck on finding the same color, but I have one possibility that I can check out. I have one more place to try. Keeping my fingers crossed. It is about a 30 mile round trip to get there. I bought yarn, not the brand I wanted and I’m not liking working with this stuff so far. What I dislike are both the colors that are not as pleasing and the feel that is not as pleasing, either.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Missing Kelly and Lenora!

Kay ~ So glad you are advocating for your Mom! The week my mom passed from pneumonia, she was in the small county hospital and the nurses there were practically useless. My sister (a nurse) had to make them give her the morphine drip the dr. had ordered and turn her.

Katla ~ Hope you find the yarn you are needing.

Allie ~ Glad the new dentist is being friendly. Maybe he will tend to Mary.

Machka ~ Good luck on your test.

Prayers for all who are facing difficulties.

Welcome to all the new posters.

Carol in GA

• cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    K.Karen--Five years ago my church choir went to New York to perform in a mass choir at Carnegie Hall. One of the features of the trip was a chance to see Mary Poppins before it closed. I was totally wowed. At the end, she "flew" right over our director's head. He said part of him wanted to watch her go, and part of him was worried about looking up a woman's dress.

Pip--"...boob smash appointment..." Thanks for the laugh.

Jessica--Welcome, and don't worry about jumping in. The conversation varies widely here, and moves quick. some of these ladies have been here for years, and others are newer like me. All stages of fitness goals are here. I've just found "onederland" after a 65 lb loss. I've got another 65 to go.

Felicia--Wow. You needed that chance to vent. I've got a husband who sounds a bit like yours--except for the part about being handy. He's a bit of a hoarder, and before we were married we had separate finances. He made MUCH more than I did, but I still paid for a lot of things that were beneath him. I feel ya. Now that we're married, with a home and family, he's the sole provider. Part of it was trust issues we both had. I didn't trust his spending, and he didn't trust that I wasn't gonna fly.

What struck me about your situation, is the clear power issues involved. Even if he's paying equally for the household now, he's using his money to distance himself from "your" kids, and any past you have. That you're doing all the "homework" further distances him from being a family with you. That doesn't sound healthy. If you wanted to make a point and show him visibly what he's doing, you could take out 'our trash' and leave 'His trash,' cook 'Our dinner' but not 'his dinner,' and clean 3/4 of the house and leave 1/4 for him. Split it up evenly, so he sees the benefit of being in a family, and sharing responsibility--no matter who is ultimately responsible. That's what marriage is. If this was me, I'd have a real issue with supporting him in his retirement--if he's not saving. "Sorry, bub, but I need MY money to take care of MY home and MY kids. You're on your own."

Janetr--Wow, what a change you made! Love that smile in both pics. Adorable pics of your grandson.

Christmas is coming up so fast! I've got the house to clean, groceries to buy, and maybe one more present to shop for. I've almost finished the cookies, and my husband is trying to wreck the progress, eating all the snickerdoodles. Five more days; just give me five more days so we have enough to share. Hosting a houseful is wonderful/terrible. I'm hoping the turkey thaws; it's been three days in the fridge and still feels hard. I'm thinking the ham will be in the crock pot if it fits. I'll do several sides the day before, buy pies and rolls, and with luck I'll have enough space for everyone we won't be tripping over each other. Let's hope I get the dog hair out of the corners and he doesn't keep shedding.

My son will be here on the 23rd--if he makes the flight. Part of me still believes he won't come. Unless he's changed, after his week here we'll be glad to see him go. Not that we don't love him, but he's always been our squeaky wheel. I'm hoping that adulthood on his own has taught him some things we never could. It shall be interesting!

Cari in N. Texas
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Heather beeeeautiful cake!! You did a mauvalous job!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    K.Karen--Five years ago my church choir went to New York to perform in a mass choir at Carnegie Hall. One of the features of the trip was a chance to see Mary Poppins before it closed. I was totally wowed. At the end, she "flew" right over our director's head. He said part of him wanted to watch her go, and part of him was worried about looking up a woman's dress.

Jessica--Welcome, and don't worry about jumping in. The conversation varies widely here, and moves quick. some of these ladies have been here for years, and others are newer like me. All stages of fitness goals are here. I've just found "onederland" after a 65 lb loss. I've got another 65 to go.

Felicia--Wow. You needed that chance to vent. I've got a husband who sounds a bit like yours--except for the part about being handy. He's a bit of a hoarder, and before we were married we had separate finances. He made MUCH more than I did, but I still paid for a lot of things that were beneath him. I feel ya. Now that we're married, with a home and family, he's the sole provider. Part of it was trust issues we both had. I didn't trust his spending, and he didn't trust that I wasn't gonna fly.

What struck me about your situation, is the clear power issues involved. Even if he's paying equally for the household now, he's using his money to distance himself from "your" kids, and any past you have. That you're doing all the "homework" further distances him from being a family with you. That doesn't sound healthy. If you wanted to make a point and show him visibly what he's doing, you could take out 'our trash' and leave 'His trash,' cook 'Our dinner' but not 'his dinner,' and clean 3/4 of the house and leave 1/4 for him. Split it up evenly, so he sees the benefit of being in a family, and sharing responsibility--no matter who is ultimately responsible. That's what marriage is. If this was me, I'd have a real issue with supporting him in his retirement--if he's not saving. "Sorry, bub, but I need MY money to take care of MY home and MY kids. You're on your own."

Janetr--Wow, what a change you made! Love that smile in both pics. Adorable pics of your grandson.

Christmas is coming up so fast! I've got the house to clean, groceries to buy, and maybe one more present to shop for. I've almost finished the cookies, and my husband is trying to wreck the progress, eating all the snickerdoodles. Five more days; just give me five more days so we have enough to share. Hosting a houseful is wonderful/terrible. I'm hoping the turkey thaws; it's been three days in the fridge and still feels hard. I'm thinking the ham will be in the crock pot if it fits. I'll do several sides the day before, buy pies and rolls, and with luck I'll have enough space for everyone we won't be tripping over each other. Let's hope I get the dog hair out of the corners and he doesn't keep shedding.

My son will be here on the 23rd--if he makes the flight. Part of me still believes he won't come. Unless he's changed, after his week here we'll be glad to see him go. Not that we don't love him, but he's always been our squeaky wheel. I'm hoping that adulthood on his own has taught him some things we never could. It shall be interesting!

Cari in N. Texas

i'm here for your enjoyment and amusement
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,435 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Cari in N. Texas

Pip - you are also here for your BOOT!!!

Lanette
    Windy SW WA State where we lost power for half an hour. It's back on now.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Ladies, my nephew, who has Asperger's and struggled with life before settling down and going back to college a couple years ago, just posted this on Facebook with a photo of the college's pool (he's a swimmer)... not sure if he wrote it or found it. I love it.

I think my words for 2019 will be "Champion of my own race".

In this place of excellence,
    Where champions reside and excuses have no place,
    Where saying "I can't" is anathema, blasphemy, and profane,
    And believing "I can and will" is the expectation and norm,
    There is a place for me here, too.
    There's a place for everyone here who sincerely believes that they have what it takes to be Champion of their own race.

Lanette
    SW WA State

LOVE it!

Beth
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Just frosted my son's birthday cake ... looks nowhere near as pretty as Heather's Christmas cake!

Getting ready to make his birthday dinner request now ... Teriyaki meatballs over rice and with broccoli.

Where is Kelly?

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    So true
    lhscapil wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Cari in N. Texas

Pip - you are also here for your BOOT!!!

Lanette
    Windy SW WA State where we lost power for half an hour. It's back on now.

So true
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,828 Member
    Options
    Laundry done and I'm in bed,Charlie Brown Christmas on ABC at 8..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, I hope you were able to find the yarn you wanted. I have a favorite hat pattern to knit and two years ago I asked Jake if he liked the idea of my sending hats to his granddaughter and her two daughters (the hats were very feminine). He liked the idea but said that I should also knit a hat for his granddaughter's son. It was a challenge to find a pattern and yarn color that Jake said was masculine enough. I didn't enjoy knitting the hat (neither the pattern nor the yarn color). Then Jake wanted me to knit a similar hat for him. Now I knit only for me and to donate to charity. It's more fun.

:) The wind was so bad here today that travel was halted for hours on two sections of the route we took to Seattle on Tuesday (one bridge and the ferry). We are so grateful that we didn't have to go today. The wind was mild near home so walking the dogs was no problem.

:) Best wishes to all of you who are busy with final holiday preparations. Hugs to all of you who have some sort of sadness connected to the upcoming holiday.

<3 Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an extreme strength DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Janetr – awwwwwww

M – good luck tomorrow. I know you’ll do awesome. So sorry about your tooth Update: congrats on passing the course

Katie – good for you insisting. Who cares what that nurse thinks? Your mother sounds like she’s coming along great

I don’t know what it was, but I was soooo tired tonight. I took a nap in the living room for about 45 minutes. That refreshed me

Volunteered at the Green Room today then stopped at Aldi. I thought I needed more than I actually needed. But I did want to get some nuts for tomorrow when a friend from ceramics is coming over

Beth – happy birthday to you son. Bet you’re wondering where the time went

JerseyPort – what part of NJ did you grow up in? I grew up in the northern part

Speaking of insurance: I had the doc put in the order for my Prolia. The nurse called me saying that the order was denied. Huh??? Well, it seems that when Vince went on Medicare, even tho we were told that insurance for me would continue, it was dropped. It won’t be reactivated until Jan. 1. Well, we called Mars Health who admitted that they’ve been having problems getting the word from Mars to Aetna. Supposedly they’re going to take care of it, but I bet any amount of $$$ that they’re just going to wait until Jan. for it to be reinstated. They said that should I need to go to the hospital in the meantime, as soon as my insurance is reinstated, they’d pay. Somehow, I don’t believe them.

Michele in NC