Welcome New Members!

Replies

• kevinwm0
    kevinwm0 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 3
    Hi everyone! I just joined and I'm looking to maintain my weight after some successful time using another weight loss program. Also looking to connect with others in my area (SF Bay area) for regular exercise.
  • ctrb1959
    ctrb1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Hey there!

I am Tracy and I will soon be 63.

I have been obese since I was 11yo. I am in need of two knee replacements and I have to get my weight down to qualify. My knees are so bad that I walk with at least one and sometimes two canes.

Since I don't want to be in a wheelchair and want to be more active, I made the commitment to do whatever I could to get healthy and stay that way.

I look forward to being part of the community and making life better with all of you!❤
  • BlessedGmaof4
    BlessedGmaof4 Posts: 6 Member
    ctrb1959 wrote: »
    Hey there!

I am Tracy and I will soon be 63.

I have been obese since I was 11yo. I am in need of two knee replacements and I have to get my weight down to qualify. My knees are so bad that I walk with at least one and sometimes two canes.

Since I don't want to be in a wheelchair and want to be more active, I made the commitment to do whatever I could to get healthy and stay that way.

I look forward to being part of the community and making life better with all of you!❤

Hi. I have about 100 lbs to lose and would like to be friends if you wish.

• Fit2btied2016
    Fit2btied2016 Posts: 235 Member
    Hello everyone. I just joined MFP today after a call from my doctor. Apparently I have two (2!) ventral hernias that need surgical repair. Aside from the medical need, when I look at my abdomen, I get a flashback to "Alien" to the scene right before the creature burst out from the guys abdomen. I mean it sticks out.
    I was told very kindly that I was not able to have surgery because I was too overweight, and that while the hernia sites could be repaired, it wouldn't last, because my BMI was too high. My doc said that I would have to lose 35 pounds before the surgery would be scheduled. Then he told me that his nurse would be contacting me with some calorie lists, and that I should call back to schedule surgery when I had lost the weight. By the way, he also said the hernias were "fat-filled".
    So after staring blankly at the office wall for a while, I decided to join MFP and get serious about dropping weight, and actually learning how to keep it off. I admit it. I am a procrastinator and rather lazy. But I'm also a realist. This is not just aesthetics, this is a serious medical problem that needs to be dealt with. So I need to learn how to eat properly and increase my activity so I can qualify for my surgery. So here I go. Thanks for any good thoughts or comments.

Hi, you can do this! My tips for motivation would be to call the doctor up and ask to be wait-listed for that surgery. Ask for an approximate date of surgery from the current date IF you already qualified. They should be able to give you a time (ie. 3 months, 6 months, etc.) This gives you a concrete time goal to work towards for losing 35 lbs. off the top.

Then ask the doctor about going to a medical supply store or a good drugstore that sells medical supplies to get a supportive binder of some sort to support your abdomen while you exercise (move more). This will help make it more comfortable and prevent shifting and jiggling a bit. Alternatively, you might be able to get away with some sort of athletic shirt with compression in it (think neoprene-type material), and search online for cycling or triathalon shirts--as these are what immediately come to mind. You might feel uncomfortable at first until you get used to be a bit more contained, but it should actually feel more comfortable in short order as you find you are more comfortable moving about (think less chafing, etc., too).

Maybe some others will be able to help you out more (actual hard-core cyclists, athletes, etc.), but failing to find a binder or something, you could always try using large Tensor bandages stitched together and evenly wrapping yourself from upper chest to below your abdomen as a make-shift support.

Then start by ditching your easiest (least favourite) high carbs offender such as alcohol, cookies, cake, chips, etc. and walking each day for 15 minutes. Take a timer and walk for 7.5 minutes and then turn right back around. Ta da! 15 minutes. After a week, you can either increase your walking time by 15 minutes, or go out for another session. Ta da! 30 minutes. Slowly build up after a couple of weeks to 60 minutes in the same manner.

Aim for consistency, and improvement. By the time that doctor wait-list date comes up, you will have made some progress. If you aren't quite at the magic number yet when the doctor calls, ask to remain on the wait-list and to be called again in 2 months.

The doctor should not be bothered by you wanting to be wait-listed, as it shows you are serious about the surgery and are making attempts to have it in a reasonable time, etc.

My husband had 2 hernia surgeries, and I helped him. He didn't even realize what was happening on some levels, because although he didn't have much weight to lose, he increased his walking time when we got another dog, lol. (He had already lost his weight before we married, and he lost it on his own by walking, portion control, ditching sugar in his coffee, and using NutriSystem for a short time-for portion control. I think he wound up losing about 60 lbs. in a few months doing this. His bottom out moment was when he couldn't walk up a hill to get to his work after being forced to park at the bottom because of construction or something. It was about a mile up the hill, lol---he was so sweaty and out of breath and it took him awhile. I guess he was so embarrassed because he was soaking wet in his suit and tie by the time he arrived to work that he made up his mind then and there to fix things. That was probably about 16 years ago for him, and he has maintained it ever since on his own just by "eating less" as he says (portion control), and always doing some sort or projects around the house/keeping busy/dog walking, and walking with me on occasion.

Good luck to you! I hope all goes well :-) Don't give up! Talk kindly to yourself each morning. There is always something positive to look forward to, or some little victory to celebrate.

• Fit2btied2016
    Fit2btied2016 Posts: 235 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Just starting my journey today. I’m nervous because I have a hard time staying motivated because of health issues. But I’m telling myself I’ll feel better by taking control of my nutrition and fitness. I’ll be needing loads of support and inspiration! I’m so glad to be here.

You got this! Focus on baby steps and CONSISTENCY. One mini-goal for nutrition, and one mini-goal for fitness at a time. Less stressful that way I find. Try not to get overwhelmed with a bunch of noise or in-box clutter from diet "experts" of all sorts if you are nervous. I get overwhelmed by reading too many diet advisors, experts and so on all at once.

I instantly delete email lists that send me multiple emails in a day or week (sign up for our weight loss program, buy my book, get this magic pill, yadah, yadah).

I have tried more than a few things to lose weight (Slim-Fast--ugh--made me sick, and gave me horrible tummy issues, Keto--was starving all the time, hated shopping, and the keto sticks and diabetic finger pokes were painful and expensive, Lean Cuisine--too hungry, and so on).

So far, the only thing that has worked for me on a legit basis is to track my food (and I realize that I am pretty accurate with my measurements already, but need to pull out my scale to start weighing my food to be even more accurate) eat less, eat better (less processed food), and move more, and to do this daily, and to build more movement into my lifestyle after leaving a stressful career (nursing) which was probably the NUMBER ONE NON-EMOTIONAL REASON I gained a ton of weight in a short period of time in the first place--shift-work, and eating poorly on night-shift, and having my body be all confused about what time it was and when meals were, etc. Shift work is REALLY hard on a body if a person cannot regulate meals and sleep and stress. If I look on my scale, I have about 70+ lbs. to lose still (I was about 77 lbs. obese), but that is to get down to my old weight in my 20's which might not be realistic for me anymore, so I am starting with 50 lbs goal and will tweak it as I get there because I am tall and "hide" more weight on my frame more easily.

Like you, I am also doing this for health issues, and I also gained weight because of some health issues and medications, so it's a bad cycle that I am breaking in many regards--antidepressants over a number of years did a number on my weight and appetite--constantly hungry and unable to regulate it,
    coupled with emotional eating, ACK.

Anyway, hope there is something in here of help to you. Good luck to you! Be kind to yourself! Ignore the nervous voice that becomes negative--good excitement is motivating, but the opposite is not.

Buy yourself some pretty or fun stickers from the dollar store and put a sticker on each day of the calendar that you stuck to your plan/goal. Sounds crazy, but it's a simple and tangible way to "see" your successes and bring a smile, and I find it helps when I nurture the nervous/anxious in me and is a better kind of reward than food/drink.

You can do this!

• DashGravity
    DashGravity Posts: 10 Member
    Hello everyone. I just joined MFP today after a call from my doctor. Apparently I have two (2!) ventral hernias that need surgical repair. Aside from the medical need, when I look at my abdomen, I get a flashback to "Alien" to the scene right before the creature burst out from the guys abdomen. I mean it sticks out.
    I was told very kindly that I was not able to have surgery because I was too overweight, and that while the hernia sites could be repaired, it wouldn't last, because my BMI was too high. My doc said that I would have to lose 35 pounds before the surgery would be scheduled. Then he told me that his nurse would be contacting me with some calorie lists, and that I should call back to schedule surgery when I had lost the weight. By the way, he also said the hernias were "fat-filled".
    So after staring blankly at the office wall for a while, I decided to join MFP and get serious about dropping weight, and actually learning how to keep it off. I admit it. I am a procrastinator and rather lazy. But I'm also a realist. This is not just aesthetics, this is a serious medical problem that needs to be dealt with. So I need to learn how to eat properly and increase my activity so I can qualify for my surgery. So here I go. Thanks for any good thoughts or comments.

Hey there. Wishing you the best in your journey. Just remember that your worth it and can do anything you put your mind too. Start loving the things you hate. I used to hate doing burpees and now im loving them. If you hate missing out on foods you love do a bit more exercise and earn the calories to eat them first. Every small thing adds up. Protein really helps with hunger. Feel free to add me if you like. Wishing you the best!!
  • banreh_
    banreh_ Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all … looking for virtual friends for daily walking steps 10000 steps a day at least. Helps to have somebody to check in with daily …
  • gkcdrnn
    gkcdrnn Posts: 1 Member
    Hello from Turkey,, new here i am transgender woman struggling with addiction and trying to live healthier
  • Stacie1809
    Stacie1809 Posts: 2 Member
    Good Morning. I'm Scott. I need to drop a significant amount of weight. I could use some friends and support.

We're in thisntogether.
  • Yoyojojo22
    Yoyojojo22 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone,

Trying again, trying to change my lifestyle once and for all. My goal is no longer to be thin. It’s now to get healthier eating habits and get back to a sensible BMI.

• logiegirl50
    logiegirl50 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi been away for a while but I want to get back on track, I'd love to have to here your success stories or how your dealing with any challanges
  • xkat9090
    xkat9090 Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning - starting a new journey after breaking free from points/syns/whatever else. Consultation with PT booked for pm. Fingers crossed! #100lbstolose #countdown
  • nscan2025
    nscan2025 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, my name is Nancy. This is not my first weight loss try. I need to not think of it as a diet but more of a lifestyle change. My worst tracking days are the weekend and I tend to binge.

Looking for like minded people for accountability.

Thank you. N.
  • LilBitMeme77
    LilBitMeme77 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello! I am new (again). Have tried other fitness apps and haven't gotten the support that I was hoping for. So here I am!!
  • Mycupcakke8me
    Mycupcakke8me Posts: 12 Member
    New Here ! Single mom ready to hit the gym and local National parks and Go Go Go ❤️
  • IYKYK_WINK
    IYKYK_WINK Posts: 1 Member
    Hi 🤗 lifting with no food restrictions here.
  • Vanessalove10
    Vanessalove10 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello all,
    Technically I'm not a new member, I've been using MFP for a few years off and on when needed. This account is brand-new however.
    My goal is to gain fat, mostly. I was super lean and muscular to begin with and I simply did not like the way it looked nor the negative attention I received because of my appearance.
    I started this recent weight gain journey about 3 months ago. It is far from my first time gaining weight, and I've never lost any of the weight I've gained. I just keep getting taller lol!
    I began recently at 140 lbs and I'm now at 155 and I hope to get to around 170 and decide if I want to keep going from there. I was at a healthy weight before and I know I'll be overweight any day now but I promise you I look TINY, because I have a really uncommon body type.
    I understand how unrelatable I am so I don't really expect to make any friends here but I'm quite experienced in manipulating body size so I'm happy to offer insight and I'm always down to chat about whatever.
  • DavGMac
    DavGMac Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all, I’m DavGMac and a new user. I’m currently testing out this app with the Premium trial. I am a type 2 Diabetic and am trying to track all my data such as blood sugar and nutritional data from the foods I eat and any other health data. I wear a CGM that syncs to its app and I sync all the data from MyFitnessPal to Apple so I can share with my doctor. Ultimately I want to reduce my A1C from current of 7.6. I have tried many apps to be able to sync all of this data into one place. If anyone has ideas for me on that or just looking for friends or to say Hi feel free to msg me. Thanks!!
  • peggyad3
    peggyad3 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi everyone, back again after a long time away. Looking forward to getting back into shape and getting my eating under control.