Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Really cool app called Happy scale! You should check it out!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    @tiff0277 Welcome!
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I saw this great article about walking today: '4-Week Walking Plan for Weight Loss'
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?p=36574
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi @tiff0277 , I had surgery 18 months ago, prior to I was lifting heavy doing NROL4W. I still haven't gone back to lifting, but getting back to MFP logging and doing some intervals walk/run. my goal is to lose about 15-20 more lbs then I'll add back the heavy weights for body recomp. And then there's the mother of the bride dress this summer - oh boy.

@loonyhiker great loss, I had a nsv too, a pair of pants that were dreadfully tight fit beautifully!

@mynacha73 I am not sure where you're traveling, but eating the local specialties is half the fun. Try portion control and taste everything. Maybe if you visit a local market you can pick up local produce for snacks or pre-meal fillup. And then drink a glass of water before each meal.

I've been walking on the treadmill in the morning doing intervals. I seem to have better luck when I can see the MPH and time between each interval that I don't have walking outdoors. I save the outdoor walk with my husband after dinner. And on the treadmill I don't have to wait for daylight.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options

@Melonfire - I started my first bullet journal this year. I started a sudo bullet journal last year, but work got in the way and I only made it to February. This year I started a digital bullet journal and I really like it so far. Unlike paper journals I love the fact that I can insert extra pages if I feel like I need to be able to journal more than just a little bit on each day.

@melonfire - I have cream in my coffee every day, so I don’t think it was that. I am almost certain it was the sugar. I wanted to have a hot chocolate tonight, but I didn’t want to risk it. I think I will do an experiment this weekend to see if it happens again with excessive sugar. If I do find that the sugar is the culprit I think it might be what finally gets me to stop eating sugary treats, which in turn could produce the weight loss I have been losing for.

@mynacha73 - you could have a point about the combination of the three together. Although the cream in my daily coffee with stevia doesn’t seem to bother me, although I only put 2-3 tablespoons in.

@mynacha73 - congratulations on getting back out for a decent walk. Have fun on your travels. If you are going someplace you have never been you might not want to limit your food because there could be lots of things you want to try, but maybe you will be able to do a bit more walking to burn off the extra calories.

@loonyhiker -YEAH, for inches lost. I am looking forward to doing my measurements next Friday to see if I have lost inches. I know I have lost pounds so I know I must have also lost inches, but I just don’t know how many yet.

@tiff0277 - Welcome to the challenge. I have been using the ZWIFT treadmill app to do most of my running workouts lately. It is like a virtual run with a bunch of other people. Almost like a video game. You need either a treadmill that will connect or a foot pod that I purchased on the ZWIFT website for about $30.00. So far I really like it even though I am one of the slower runners. I am currently just getting back to running and I am only going about 3.7 mph when I run. I can walk faster than that, but all the running books that I have read say to start slower than a fast walk, so that is what I am trying to do.

@loonyhiker - great article, I am doing a very similar workout program, but I am incorporating running too.

@BackinSoFL - I am with you regarding the treadmill workout and not having to wait until daylight. I get up at 4:40 am to workout and it is obviously very dark outside. I also like to be able to know exactly how fast I am going without having to look at my watch to track my speed every couple of minutes, and knowing having the time to know when to change to the next interval is great. I tried using an interval timer with Nike Running Club App (NRC), but apparently they both can’t run at the same time, which really sucks.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    loonyhiker wrote: »
    I have been using a bullet journal for this past year and for February I put in an exercise tracker page for each day. I hope that will encourage me to do them regularly and not just walking

This is what I do as well and it does help a lot. Plus I am a doodler. I make a monthly calendar with all my workouts and then I highlight each one as I do it and put weight range for lifting sessions. It really feels great to see the month highlighted at the end. Great job!! Walking is still a great exercise though! Great for the mind as well as the body so don't underestimate it!!
  • Melionfire
    Options
    I just read through most posts and love the support everyone is giving each other. We can definately reach our goals with each others motivation. I had a good day but feel my worst time for food is between 4 and 6. I come home hungry and have to really control myself or else I end up bringing on random snacks and I mean random. I have eaten avocado ham on ricecakes followed by celery and hummus followed by cottage cheese and then i have supper. I started putting a prote9n shake already mixed in the fridge for when I get home and I grab a 32 ounce bottle of bcaas and water and this seems to help get me to supper time. Does anyone else get the after work snacks. I feel if I had to work till 5 then I would just eat dinner and eliminate that need for a snack because I really only feel hunger when I walk in the door. My job keeps my mind of hunger lots to do and think about. Sorry this is long winded. I have been able to go from 163 to 161 this week from cutting out evening snacking and sticking to mostly whole foods. I started Chalene extreme which is a 3 month lifting program and I am determined to finish it. I finished it once in 2017 and was able to lose 21 pounds in the 3 months and saw amazing changes in my body. Good night too all and have an amazing Friday.
  • Melionfire
    Options
    tiff0277 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.. I would love to join in the fun, I need motivation. I jumped on the struggle bus after I had surgery 2 years ago and never got off. I actually got comfy instead. Unfortunately I have not only lost motivation, I lost ALL my workout / running buddies. I know, I'm rolling in with excuses. LOL

My favorite exercise is running/ jogging really I leave the speed part of the sport to those who carry a competitive gene. I am happy crossing the finish line. haha A friend told me the other day the time for big change is during a time with big change. I hope he's right!

My diet is restrictive already which is sometimes stressful I won't lie. Lactose and gluten intolerant makes choices already limited my down fall is sweets and carbs. If I get back to watching my intake I would be in a better place.

My goal for January was to get back to logging which I use my fitness pal and I journal. Most of the time I'll journal before I log (MFP) because I find it fun to write the thoughts of the day and let's face it we all like to doodle. For the most part I am doing okay, I will take it as a win and now I need to move my booty. I want to walk / jog my first 5 k in February. (I live in Kentucky so we will see)

Welcome to the group. This will be your year. I feel everything in life gets better when you decide to take care of yourself and do what is best for your health. I am sure it is challenging with extra diet restrictions. I have a major sweet tooth as well so feel your pain there. It is about moderation and sustainable changes. I took me decades to realise that part. Running was never my cup of tea but I did add run jog walk circuits this past summer and started to actually enjoy them as well as be able to run for longer stretches as I got fitter. It does give you time to clear your mind almost like meditating. Great goal on doing a 5 k. I will be cheering for you!!
  • kimmie373
    kimmie373 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Melionfire wrote: »
    I just read through most posts and love the support everyone is giving each other. We can definately reach our goals with each others motivation. I had a good day but feel my worst time for food is between 4 and 6. I come home hungry and have to really control myself or else I end up bringing on random snacks and I mean random. I have eaten avocado ham on ricecakes followed by celery and hummus followed by cottage cheese and then i have supper. I started putting a prote9n shake already mixed in the fridge for when I get home and I grab a 32 ounce bottle of bcaas and water and this seems to help get me to supper time. Does anyone else get the after work snacks. I feel if I had to work till 5 then I would just eat dinner and eliminate that need for a snack because I really only feel hunger when I walk in the door. My job keeps my mind of hunger lots to do and think about. Sorry this is long winded. I have been able to go from 163 to 161 this week from cutting out evening snacking and sticking to mostly whole foods. I started Chalene extreme which is a 3 month lifting program and I am determined to finish it. I finished it once in 2017 and was able to lose 21 pounds in the 3 months and saw amazing changes in my body. Good night too all and have an amazing Friday.

• kimmie373
    Options
    My snacking issues happen at work. Poor choices, mindless snacking. Sitting at a desk. I do better at home. I like your ideas to try and deal with it. My plan is to pre plan my snacks but I need to stay away from that vending machine holding the pretzels.
  • kimmie373
    Options
    So I am halfway to my goal this week of closing all the activity rings on my Apple tracker. I was trying to talk myself out of going to the gym today though. Then I received messages on other Apple users finishing their workout. That encouraged me to get my butt to the gym and close my rings. Glad I did. Now to finish the week doing this.
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I will need to check that app out. I do miss my running buddies. Our kids ran cross country together and well we were there so why not. FRIENDS FOR LIFE! However we always said we were slower than turtles in molasses. HAHA

@loonyhiker I like the article lots of information. I used Couch to 5k and Hal Higons marathon training to start and will again

@Melionfire If I could pull my sweet tooth I really would and your right....

I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This morning my workout was somewhat of a bust. I woke up at my normal time and got on the treadmill, but I was just really sluggish. It was a rest day from running today, so I did a casual walk for about 45 minutes. I was still pretty tired after I got ready for work and ended up laying back and caught a few extra ZZZs before work. Just that 15 minute nap really made a huge difference in my day.

I thought about getting on the treadmill for another 30 minute casual work tonight, but I ended up closing all my rings before I got home, so I decided to just relax.

I shouldn’t be too hard on myself. I have been keeping up this exercise schedule for more than a month without really having a day off, so a couple of more relaxed workouts or casual walks are perfectly fine. At least I am doing something and not just sitting around on non-running days.

I am still planning on trying to Beat My Best Flight climbed tomorrow. I am sort of concerned because I did a test tonight and walked up my stairs a couple of times and the number of flights didn’t change. I might have to go up both flights from the basement to the second floor for it to count. My Best day so far in January was 13 flights, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

Any anyone else going to try to Beat their Best this weekend?

@melonfire - You need to find another distraction when you get home from work. Maybe use this time to get your workout in, or sit down to write in your bullet journal or read a fitness or diet book. I find that when I read diet and fitness self help books it somehow curbs my appetite because I think that these other people were able to do it I should be able to also.
    @tiff0277 - let me know if you try out ZWIFT, we could link up over there and maybe run together sometime.
  • kimmie373
    Options
    I got all my exercise in today. Not doing good with eating habits. I am on the verge of a little binge session. Need to find a distraction. Got a phone call this evening that my mom had a major stroke and is in ICU. I live 10 hours away by plane. So emotional eating is trying to get me.
  • lolomlopez12181
    lolomlopez12181 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼 I’m in beauties 🏋🏻‍♀️🧘🏻‍♀️ love the motivation y’all bringing each other ❤️ I have an Apple Watch also
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm still going easy on my heel. Even though I only walked 30 min. on my treadmill yesterday, I got in my more than 10,000 steps doing some cleaning around the house. I'm also doing pretty well on my eating program. I've lost 2 lbs this week and now I'm at a plateau but I feel like I'm moving downward so I'm happy.

Does anyone know how I can add those of you with an Apple Watch as my friends on my watch?
  • lolomlopez12181
    Options
    @loonyhiker I was wondering the same
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @loonyhiker @lolomlopez12181 if you go to the app on your phone and go to sharing then you will see a + at the top right of the screen you can invite friends with their email address. If they are already in your contacts then you will see them listed.

Hope that helped!

Shiel
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    @Fitness327wk thanks I have wanted to find an app like this

@Melionfire that time has been an issue for me or rather just after getting home from dinner. I need to have a small low calorie snack that helps me to make it till when dinner is ready.

Nice to see how all are doing. I spent some time catching up.

My work has been very intense since after the holidays. I have also had to get my daughter started back to school figuring out how to get her there and back. So I haven’t been as into getting on MFP at the end of a long tiring day as I thought I would be. It turns out that now that her schedule is settled she has 2 long days, Monday and Wednesdays. So my husband and I go to aquafit after work and then pick her up. This Wednesday I thought I had a night meeting but didn’t have to go so we missed Aquafit for nothing but walked instead around campus before our daughter got out of class. I have been cooking more so we have healthy food to eat at home.

Finally got to aquafit this morning and we had our normal good weekend brunch at home. We are also starting to remodel our bathroom. So the weekends have been busy with that effort. Work hasn’t started yet just meeting with the contractor and plumber etc. We have been decluttering too on the weekends.

In other words I am still struggling to find a good healthy routine this year. I have been working on it but it isn’t quite settled down as of yet. If I get enough sleep I don’t get sick so I really can’t just get up earlier. I got an exercise machine but need to do more to make room for it. We went from a larger home to a small one. So I am working on a lot of good things and actually making progress but not yet settled. Maybe because I am tackling a lot that needs to be done.

An interesting item is that I have a problem with a new scale we got near the end of last year. It weighs me heavier than the old one. My husband told me today that he weighed at the Y this morning and then at home right after. It was a pound up from the one at the gym. Either way I need to get it going down but it is nice to confirm it is weighing us a pound more. Our old scale was probably weighing us a few pounds lighter.

Hope all have a good weekend.

Keri
  • lolomlopez12181
    Options
    @showjumper thank you ❤️