Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @msarobix thanks for the reply. I am going to increase my calories with a protein snack and see how things go.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @mynacha73 - That is an amazing improvement from week to week.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I gained 3 lbs. over the past 2 weeks. I know a lot of it was all the sodium from the sodas I drank so I think I should be able to lose at least 2 of those pounds easily this week. Now I need to get back on track with eating right.
  • ellenrowens8
    ellenrowens8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I like that we basically have the same goals. Started taking care of others about 8 years ago and forgot about me. Just getting back to cleaner eating and more exercise.

Sounds like a cool watch.
  • Smilely3
    Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy MLK Day,
    @msarobix thanks for the advice i will try it. @loonyhiker we all have off days but it's a new week. You get a chance to start again.@ ellenrowens8 it's great that we all have similar goals and support.
    Goals for the week of 1/21/19:
    1) Complete at least 5 moring workouts.
    2) No junk, or fried foods or red meat.
    3) Daily Meditation at least 5 mins.
    4) Consistently log calories.
    🙂
  • tineisme
    tineisme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge!

My goals: 45-60 minutes of exercise at least 6 days a week.
    Drink all the water I know I am suppose to
    Be consistent (I never am)
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @loonyhiker you got this!
    I managed jumping jacks today. I am so excited. The one up side to an injury is the gratitude when it's healed. I've been getting work done at home today. Each time my watch tells me to stand, I do some strength training (31 day lunge/squat/push up challenge) or cardio. It's been great. I'm inspired by @msarobix energy and love for working out. I'm trying to develop that spirit, too.
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    I have been using a bullet journal for this past year and for February I put in an exercise tracker page for each day. I hope that will encourage me to do them regularly and not just walking
  • kimmie373
    kimmie373 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I would love to join in. Yes I would like to lose weight but I really want this to be about healthy habits. In oct 2017 I had weight loss surgery, this helped me lose 100 pounds. Now the weight doesn’t just melt off anymore and bad habits will get you into trouble again. I could stand to lose another 50 but if I don’t it’s not how I will measure my success. I have a terminal cancer, it won’t get me this year but it’s my biggest motivation to get healthy. I have an Apple Watch and would love some other Apple Watch friends. I like the motivation to close the circles. Just message me please and we can add each other.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge. I need extra accountability to keep on track. I have been on and off my fitness pal since 2016 and have succeeded in losing 73 pounds. I have gone so close to my goal weight only to fall off track and put on 5 to 8 pounds. I am now 13 pounds from my goal weight and want 2019 to be the year I make it there. However, this is also about making sustainable healthy choices to help me live a healthy and happy life and to be a healthy role model for my 2 girls.
    Goals for 2019:
    Stick to a workout program from beginning to end before starting another.
    Weight train 3 days a week min and cardio 1 to 2 days a week
    No eating past 7 pm [i do a lot of mindless snacking after this time]
    Eat balanced meals with whole foods as much as possible
    Don’t beat myself up when times are rough so stay consistent most of the time,
    My name is Melissa; I am a 37 year old mom of 2 who works full time as an ea in schools and who is working towards her bachelors degree in the evenings so life is a little hectic!
    Looking forward to checking in most days and motivating others who need it. We can do this.
  • msarobix
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry I didn’t check in last night. My husband was actually home for the evening for a change and we spent the evening together.

On Saturday, I increased my running time in my walk/run workout. My heart rate was higher than I wanted, but by today, the third workout in this cycle my heart rate is much better. I will still do this workout for the next week or so before I increase again to the next stage. Right now I am walking 3 minutes and running 5 minutes. It is a slow process and I am not running very fast, but I am making progress so I am happy. I hope to be running for the full workout by the end of March, but if it takes a little longer than that I won’t fret about it.

@loonyhiker - I hope you have success taking off that extra water weight this week.

@ellenrowens8 - Welcome!

@tineisme - Welcome to the group. Those are awesome goals. Looking forward to supporting you along your journey.

@mynacha73 - it takes work, but I have to admit that I do love working out. I have always hated when LIFE has gotten in the way of my exercise routine. I just know that I will never again, stay at a job that doesn’t have a proper work/life balance. We all need to have down time, it is so important to our physical well being.

@kimmie373 - Welcome to the group. Congratulations on losing 100 lbs, that is a huge accomplishment. I am sorry to hear that you are terminally ill. I hope by being more active and eating right you can fend off the cancer for many more years than the doctors predict. You are starting in the right place, with a group that is here to support one another. I will send you a private message to connect via the Apple Watch.

@Melionfire - Welcome to the group and congratulations on losing 73 lbs. We have all been there, lose weight and get close to if not meet our goal weight only to allow the weight to creep back on. It sounds like you stayed mostly in control if you are still only 13 lbs from your goal. Way to go. I have been within 10 lbs of my goal weight a few times over the last 9-10 years, but I always seem to let it slip away, only to pack the pounds back on and then some. This year I am determined to get to my goal weight and KEEP IT OFF for good. I too have a problem with starting a workout plan only to find another one that I want to try and drop the first to try the second. I have mapped out my workout plan for the entire year, and continue to have to go back to it to make sure I am sticking to what I have planned.
  • msarobix
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So how is everyone’s tracking spreadsheet coming along. I actually broke my own record last week without even realizing it. I was thinking, what tracking matrix do I want to try to beat this week, and then on Saturday, January 12th I beat my best of a few different things.

1. Active Energy
    2. Step Count
    3. Total Walk/Run Distance

I am super happy about this. Now I want to plan for this next weekend to try to beat my best again. I just can’t decide which matrix to beat. Maybe the number of flights I climb in a day my top day was on Saturday, January 5th at 13 flights. I could probably easily do that if I made part of my workout going up and down the stairs in my house.

What Beat Your Best could you try to do this week? The weekends are usually the best time for me to attempt this sort of challenge because I have a bit more time to be flexible, but don’t let that stop you from trying to beat your best on a different day. Or maybe you just want to work to beat your best average from last week on a particular matrix tracking.

Let us know what you will work on this week.
  • kimmie373
    kimmie373 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I would like to close all the rings on my watch for 7 days. I will earn a badge for that. 7 days in a row may be a stretch for me but will give it a try.
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    We are back home now and trying to get back into a routine of exercise and healthy eating. I gained 3 lbs. while we were away but I know it is all the diet Pepsi I drank and the high salt content in the soda and eating out. Since we have been home, I've already lost a pound in 2 days. I am still babying my heel and I'm trying to walk on the treadmill every other day.
  • msarobix
    Options
    Yesterday, I had a coffee from Starbucks, something that I haven’t done in a few weeks, and for that matter, I haven’t been eating much sugar at all. I was in one of those moods where I felt I had been doing well with my diet and exercise and I deserved a treat. So I had a Salted Caramel Mocha from Starbucks yesterday for breakfast.

BAD, BAD decision. I think that coffee caused all sort of digestive issues for me last night. After going to bed at 9:00 pm I was awake again at 11:00 with bad stomach pains and nausea. I felt like I was going to be sick, but then just tried to put it out of my mind and go back to sleep, which lasted until around 3:00 am, when I was awake again with more stomach issues.

At that time I had to get up and I was in the bathroom for a wee bit, but then the nausea struck again, so I had to lay down.

But the time my alarm when off at 4:40 I was not ready to get up so I turned it off and went back to bed for 2 more hours before I really had to be up to get ready for work.

So I didn’t get my workout in this morning. But the good news is I was feeling better and did do a somewhat casual walk this evening. Enough to close my move and my exercise ring.

I am not happy about the fact that my calorie burn will be a lot less than it has been the last couple of weeks, but honestly, my body needed a break today, and I happy that I was still able to close my rings.

I can tell you that that feeling of being nauseous was enough for me to NEVER have another sugary coffee drink again. I am about 90% sure that is what caused my issue.

@Kimmie373 - That sounds like a great challenge. I sometimes find it is a struggle, but that is usually only when I don’t make it a priority.

@loonyhiker - awesome to hear that you are already losing that water weight from vacation. Keep it up.
  • Melionfire
    Options
    So I wrote a long message with responses and I accidentally deleted it. Such is life. I wanted to share my practice for staying motivated. I use a bullet journal. I put everything in it; my weekly goals, progress photos, track my weights progression, I add inspirational quotes every week and make boxes to color in as I achieve the goals I set. There is something about putting pen to paper and tracking my progress with fun colors that pushes to try harder. The weeks I don't do it I tend to not follow through with fitness goals. Eating is less honed in and workouts get skipped. I plan on upping my weights in the next few weeks. Love the feeling of being able to go heavier on a move you had.a hard time completing a couple weeks prior. Hope everyone rocks their Thursday!!
  • Melionfire
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @msarobixmsarobix I can't have excessively sweet anything since changing my eating habits. My stomach just cries lol. I get really nauseous and crash. I still like the odd desert but I prefer to keep my liquids sugar free as it hits me much harder. Also if you aren't use to the cream in those coffee drinks, that also causes havoc on the stomach too. Glad you are feeling better and still got all your rings in today. I love my Fitbit for keeping me motivated. It definable opened my eyes to how inactive I use to be and how many ways I can add activity 8n throughout the day.
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @msarobix ugh - I feel your pain. There is a local coffee joint that has the best tasting coffee drinks, but every time I have one, I am ill. I used to write it off to other things, now I know it's the sugar, cream, caffeine mix. It seeks out my comfort, twists it up, and laughs while I lie on the bathroom floor with the cat licking my nose. I now drive by and stare longingly at it. More importantly, I'm glad you're doing better.

@loonyhiker so glad to hear you're able to do some walking. It makes such a difference to be able to move.

@kimmie373 it's great to have you in the group - so inspiring to lose 100 lbs. I totally agree about those circles on the apple watch. I walked up and down the stairs at work a dozen times today to try to get my move goal!

I went for my first actual walk since my foot went haywire on January 4th! It was great! So, it was only about a 1/2 mile, but it was a walk. I went by a friend's house who magically appeared with her dog just as I went by, so I got to celebrate my mobility with a buddy. Food is still pretty straightforward. I know that will change at some point, so I'm trying to pre-plan by putting some yummy low-calorie single serving home-cooked meals in the freezer.

I'm going to be traveling internationally for two weeks with my students. That means little to no control over when and what we eat. So far I'm thinking I'll bring dry roasted almonds and Trader Joe's fruit/nut leather. Breakfasts will generally be easy - eggs, vegetables, fish, yogurts (great buffets at the places we stay), but lunches are prepped cheese sandwiches at weird times and dinners are all over the map. What other ideas do you all have?
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    @msarobix I'm so sorry you had these issues. I hope you get back to normal again. I can't drink any sugary drinks anymore.

@mynacha73 Have a great trip. What do you teach? When we travel, we get those individual small bags of nuts to carry in our pockets. I also like pumpkin seeds.

I'm excited that I lost another pound of that water weight so I'm only 1 lb. over what I was before I went away. I'm also fitting in smaller size pants that I've been wearing so I believe that I've lost some inches even if not weight which makes me happy.
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.. I would love to join in the fun, I need motivation. I jumped on the struggle bus after I had surgery 2 years ago and never got off. I actually got comfy instead. Unfortunately I have not only lost motivation, I lost ALL my workout / running buddies. I know, I'm rolling in with excuses. LOL

My favorite exercise is running/ jogging really I leave the speed part of the sport to those who carry a competitive gene. I am happy crossing the finish line. haha A friend told me the other day the time for big change is during a time with big change. I hope he's right!

My diet is restrictive already which is sometimes stressful I won't lie. Lactose and gluten intolerant makes choices already limited my down fall is sweets and carbs. If I get back to watching my intake I would be in a better place.

My goal for January was to get back to logging which I use my fitness pal and I journal. Most of the time I'll journal before I log (MFP) because I find it fun to write the thoughts of the day and let's face it we all like to doodle. For the most part I am doing okay, I will take it as a win and now I need to move my booty. I want to walk / jog my first 5 k in February. (I live in Kentucky so we will see)