January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    It looks like the Route 66 course has been changed for 2019. I watched the video of it here. Omg 26 miles is sooo long! So, perhaps the course is a little better. They took out some hills and a section where there are speed bumps. I didn’t notice anything too terrible, just Oklahoma roads are not the best. I’ll stick my foot in the smallest crevice and face plant.

I had to look up the surgery. Dh had something similar after the lens replacements. They shaved off something. I just remembered these bits of eye working out, like shaved plastic skin. Definitely take it easy after. I made him go walk 5 miles with me after surgery... oops :blush:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    Looking back at 2018 and @KeepRunningFatboy
    I've played around with some visualization apps, and haven't really come up with anything I'm crazy about. Worldwide maps make us look like tiny dots, Flyby with all the runs put together could be zoomed in, but you had to automatically follow the track (not easy when it jumped between continents). I also only have maps for some of the runs, meaning that a number of people are left out however I visualize it. So I'll just present this... 9ylfbrpz13oz.png
    as a reminder of that thing we did to remember one of ours <3
    Anyone see themself in there?

Cool. I think the first one on the 2nd row is mine.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited January 2019
    OK, finally got the 2019 spreadsheet in order and wrote out some goals. Looking at my race calendar so far, I have several events coming up in the first half of the year, so will need to be thinking about training for those rather than just the casual "whatever" mileage I've been doing pretty soon.

Upcoming races:
    1/13/2019 Chilly Chili 5k, Cazenovia, NY
    2/24/2019 Lake Effect Half Marathon, Syracuse NY
    3/10/2019 Greek Peak Winter Sprint Spartan Race, Cortland NY
    5/5/2019 Mountain Goat Run (10 mile), Syracuse NY
    6/2/2019 Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon, Niagara Falls, ON

January goals:
    • Run 120 miles. Currently at 4.0/120 miles.
    • Run Chilly Chili mainly for fun, but starting to step up long runs in prep for the Lake Effect Half.
    • Crank up strength training for the Spartan Race. I have a Spartan workout scheduled for 1/12 - whatever that ends up being. Totally scared about that.
    • Dedicate 30-day yoga series (Yoga with Adrienne)

2019 goals:
    • Race every month of 2019
    • Successfully finish Spartan Race without too much embarrassment
    • New HM PR - closer to 2:00
    • New 5k PR
    • Run a HM in another new state
    • Decrease average running pace
    • Keep working on building muscle, decreasing body fat %
    • Do more yoga
    • Accomplish a real pull-up without jumping
    • Do a handstand
    • Try rock climbing (this may happen next week!)
    • Don't give up

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    Can someone direct me to an explanation of what I'm looking at with that fitness chart on Elevate (Stravistix)? I just got into it and am clueless. Seems to me someone else recently said something similar. Help, anyone?

@polskagirl01 first go through all the settings to make sure you have those set right. There's an explanation of the Fitness trend on the Fitness Trend page. Look towards the top, just to the right of the date range. There's a gear symbol for settings to configure the Fitness Trend and next to it is a "?" which is the explanation of the feature.

The key part of this Strava extension is the Fitness Trend. There are three components, Fitness, Fatigue, and Form. These trends are create based on formulas which reflect the fact that you recover from fatigue faster than you lose fitness. This is what allows us to get more fit over time.

Of those three values, there are only two I look at. Fitness and Form.

Fitness is the quantification of your cardio vascular capability. Initially this number will mean nothing but as you check it after each activity you'll see it slowly go down on rest days and up on activity days. Overtime, it should trend upward as long as you're putting in enough time running. The more you run, the the more fit you become, but you also become more fatigued, Become too fatigued and you require rest.

Though you might think that the fatigue number might be a good number to look at, I actually look at Form rather than Fatigue. Form is simply Fitness minus Fatigue. The help file for Elevate explains the Form values well:
    Depending on the Form value, you can manage and plan your training to reach or avoid a particular zone. So when:
    • +25 < Form : Transition zone. Athlete is on form. Case where athlete has an extended break. (e.g. illness, injury or end of the season).
    • +5 < Form < +25 : Freshness Zone. Athlete is on form. Ready for a race or big day(s).
    • -10 < Form < +5 : Neutral Zone. Zone reached typically when athlete is in a rest or recovery week. After a race or hard training period.
    • -30 < Form < -10 : Optimal Training Zone. Where athlete can build an effective fitness.
    • Form < -30 : Over Load Zone. Athlete is on overload or over-training phase. He should take a rest!

If you're trying to build fitness, say for an upcoming race, you want your form to be between -30 and -10. This provides maximum fitness increases without the risk of overtraining (Form less than -30). The more fit you are, the more you need to run to stay in this zone, which is exactly what we want to do when increasing mileage for a race.

When we get close to race day, we taper to recover from the fatigue. Ideally you'll taper such that your Form will be between 5 and 25. Elevate will project 14 days into the future, assuming no additional activity, to help you dial in your taper.

I've probably made this more confusing than it needs to be. Read the help file I mention above, and look at these pages for further discussion of the concepts. They may use different terms but you'll be able to figure out what they mean

https://www.joefrielsblog.com/2015/12/managing-training-using-tsb.html
    https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071944-Training-Stress-Scores-TSS-Explained
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-the-performance-management-chart/

Elevate also provides extended statistics for each activity that I like to look at but I'll save that for another day;.