January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member

That is hands down the worst race I have seen yet.
    [/quote]

My favorite part is that the winner gets a gift card to Denny's for $9.09! Sign me up!!! LOL
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Looking for a unique marathon this spring? Consider the Sandlot Marathon just northwest of Minneapolis. Complete with 384 opportunities to visit the aid station, serving hot dog flavored Heed!

https://sandlotmarathon.com/

here's a video of the Strava Flyby for the race:
    https://www.facebook.com/SandlotMarathon/videos/2158026044412783/

I'm so tempted to register for this one.

I don't think this is a real race. I'm pretty sure it is a joke. It IS a joke, right?!

The site could be a joke, but the race is not. Clearly there is some joking going on with the race and course descriptions.

I know some of these guys and they did this last year as an informal race. Whether there truly will be a formal registration this year, I have no idea, but they will be doing this again, that's for sure.

@PastorVincent it's certainly not for everyone but I guarantee everyone who's there, be it as a runner, volunteer, or spectator, will have a great time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Looking for a unique marathon this spring? Consider the Sandlot Marathon just northwest of Minneapolis. Complete with 384 opportunities to visit the aid station, serving hot dog flavored Heed!

https://sandlotmarathon.com/

here's a video of the Strava Flyby for the race:
    https://www.facebook.com/SandlotMarathon/videos/2158026044412783/

I'm so tempted to register for this one.

I don't think this is a real race. I'm pretty sure it is a joke. It IS a joke, right?!

The site could be a joke, but the race is not. Clearly there is some joking going on with the race and course descriptions.

I know some of these guys and they did this last year as an informal race. Whether there truly will be a formal registration this year, I have no idea, but they will be doing this again, that's for sure.

@PastorVincent it's certainly not for everyone but I guarantee everyone who's there, be it as a runner, volunteer, or spectator, will have a great time.

I shared it with pretty nuts runner here that does Ironman and stuffs. She said, "Oh <something NSFW here> no!" :lol::lol:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited January 2019
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    01/02/19 :::: 5.3 :::: 9.3

Today's run was in 2 parts. This morning I met a friend for a 30 minute run and then coffee (the coffee was the main event). Late afternoon I did a warm-up on the treadmill before circuit training. 2.8 miles in the am and 2.5 in the pm.
    So, I ran yesterday morning, and ever since then, my left ankle has been rather sore & painful. Its more on the inside, where the ankle meets the foot, but radiates up the ankle a bit & when I walk, the foot feels tight, for lack of a better phrase.

I have a wrap on it, doing some gentle stretching, plan on icing it later (when I have a chance to actually sit down!). Have a 6 mile run planned tomorrow....but when I look at my anatomy materials, I'm wondering if I might have a bit of tendonitis? I'm hoping just a strain though.

What do I need to look for or should I just make a call to my podiatrist?

@dreamer12151 I have tendonitis currently on the outside part of the foot/ankle (peroneal tendonitis) but have also had it on the inside ankle previously (I think posterior tibial tendonitis). I am not qualified to give medical advice but mine is achey after running and especially when I wake up in the morning but usually okay during running. I have been given stretching exercises, recommended to strengthen other big muscles in legs and hips, and need to find good shoes (I'm about to go to a shoe fitter recommended by my podiatrist because I'm struggling with this). Podiatrist recommended the stretching exercises several times a day and said I could apply heat first, do stretches, and then ice. Again, not a medical professional, just reporting what I've experienced. I was told it was okay to run throughout as long as it did not get more painful during running (which it doesn't for me).
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @7lenny7 , @MNLittleFinn , @JessicaMcB A new race - a differant concept .
    Sounds like one you would like. A bit of travel involved to get to the start line for lenny & LittleFinn
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member

I somehow managed to gain 9 lbs over the course of a week and that cake of yours gave me a realization. I had stopped logging, but kept eating my usual foods at home (though portion sizes surely were increased) and kept up my usual exercise routine (25-30 miles/day biking, PPL weight lifting 6 days/wk, mixed with a smidgeon of running). BUT then I thought about the new vegan restaurant we tried twice. There must've been some serious calorie bombs in that food. No online nutritional information available and now I probably know why. :D

I had the same problem. A vegan place around me, that I loved eating at (although I am not vegan or vegetarian, i just was looking for healthier optioned foods and trying somethig new) has recorded their food as being 800+ calories. Most vegan establishments will not post calories because they want people to focus on living healthier lifestyles and eating healthy foods (which i later realized it was about hiding the hidden calories, overkilling curtain high caloric items to have the meals taste better) and have it not be about calorie counting, but when you load a salad up with beans and oil...for the sake of calorie counting.. it can be a bomb to the system like any other establishment. Even just adding one too many avocados can be an overkill. Sodium tends to be another overkill in vegetarian items, especially if it contains soy bean.

One good thing to come out of this experience is I got to try some new dishes and have tailored them for home (minus the tons of calories!).

One recipe was a Bolognese sauce but you use chickpeas, lentils and black beans rather then meat but the quantity of beans was ridiculious...great for splitting up into small chili bowls, but crazy on carbs and sodium..so I did the same thing you did. It gave me amazing ideas for what to make at home and I can modify it just a tad lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    msarobix wrote: »
    @katharmonic, I see you mentioned a spreadsheet for tracking your statistics. What do you track. I have a spreadsheet as well and I track time, distance, and average pace. I am just curious if there is something else I should consider tracking.

@msarobix I track steps, run minutes and miles, and other exercise minutes (and miles if walking/hiking) mainly. I have a running total by day/week/month/year. I rank and graph miles run per month. For the current month I have a tab with my cumulative miles for my posts here and I project how many miles I think I'll get each day and use that to set my goal for the month and then compare what I actually do to that. I also have a tab on the spreadsheet for races with all the stats for each (time, splits, place etc.).

I don't track pace for each run but I've been thinking about it. All that info is available in Garmin and Strava of course so I'm not sure I need to re-enter it for my own spreadsheet. The point of the whole spreadsheet for me was to track activity and motivate myself, but I do have a goal of improving my pace so I'm thinking about how best to look at that.