JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    I'm still recovering from being sick. I'm able to function only bc the cold medicine covers up my symptoms long enough to do necessary stuff. I slept as much as possible all weekend (bc hubby was here to help with the kiddos and baby).

My goal today is to complete my last Final Exam for this semester and get a few groceries for dinner. Other than that, I'm still trying to get well.

Keep up the good work everyone!! 😅

I've been the same way ... an awful cold/sick feeling since last wednesday! my problem is I don't want to lay down and rest .. and I keep overdoing it. I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,799 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 - Kids are the hardest people in the world to please some days. They flit back and forth from one activity to another with no regard to what anyone else wants or needs. I think God made them that way so we didn't sit them somewhere and forget about them. They are the biggest joy and the biggest frustration all rolled up into one cute being that steal our hearts and we have to just embrace them. You are doing an amazing job, take time to enjoy it.

@zizzybumble - It's funny you said 3kg and I had to google how many pounds that is. The metric system was brought to Canada when I was in school and I learned all about the conversions but the only thing that I have ever fully embraced is speed and distance. Weight, and measurements for me are all still mostly in the imperial system. Just for the fun of it, I looked it up and the conversion happened starting in 1971 and lasted into the early 80's.

@wannabeskinnycat - I do find crafting very relaxing. I get bored very easily and find just watching tv a brain drain. This keeps my brain in use and I get to make pretty things to give to those I love.
    I bought a wii shortly after I quit smoking in 2009, that system helped me lose 25 lbs in a short amount of time. I used it the second time I lost the same 25 lbs again too. I sold it in 2016 because we were moving and I wasn't going to have a place to really use it. That and a set of plates is really the only thing I miss that I sold when we moved. Now I just miss more space. I found the balance games really helped me a lot, you will enjoy it, I think it's excellent exercise. I see on the activity calender at my Mom's nursing home that they play Wii games a couple of times a month.

@aubyshortcake - A 300 calorie surplus for a daily average is still within maintenance. You might not lose this week, but you probably won't gain either. To me those important days are worth more than a number on the scale. I have finally let myself enjoy them instead of beating myself up for them.

@korina75 - It seems to be a trend this morning that everyone is bloated and over full. We'll all need to up our water intake today. I can't tell you how envious I am of your trip with your friend. I would love to get away with my friend for a bit. I would love to just live near her again truthfully.

@bookmeister86 - Welcome back! It looks like you had an amazing trip. I love all of the pictures. I think we take our own locales for granted a lot of the time. My husband and I were talking about this not too long ago, there are some interesting things right around us and in our city and we have never visited them. My Dad always took us to local attractions and things so we knew our community and province, I should really do that with Alberta.

@nlmackey98 - I think you had an amazing Mother's Day and you shouldn't beat yourself up for it. I know that is easier said than done. I was of the "I give up" type for years and I have spent the last year working on getting rid of that mentality. This group helped me immensely with that. Last summer when I was losing steadily I purposely had those overeating days so that I could handle them and not give in to the give up. It really helped me to consciously do that. Now I know that one bad day is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Please be easy on yourself, drink lots of water today and that bloat will soon disappear. You are doing amazing!

@MLHC1 - Good luck on your final exam and I hope you feel better soon.

@PackerFanInGB - Yes the meeting is tomorrow. So nice to see you post. I miss you.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    And here are a few photos for those who are interested... particularly @PackerFanInGB !

If anyone is particularly into wildlife, I have a LOT more photos of cute animals/ birds that I'm happy to share privately! (I'm also happy to share publicly, just don't want to spam the group with my holiday...)

fq9lr7lhzpcs.jpg
    tqucahfrw2t1.jpg
    m9xh8xxb7r4s.jpg
    722azayp5n3o.jpg
    4ewruxvjyom5.jpg
    znpwrupgxobr.jpg

I love these! I never pictured Chile to look like that! Beautiful! You look fantastic! Radiant, happy, healthy, slim and just beautiful! Thank you for posting these pics! I'm going to send you my email address, if you don't mind! I'd LOVE to see your other pics! What were the animals in the one pic you posted above? A type of deer?

Oh, I love living vicariously through your travels.... :heart:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Happy Monday my JFT friends!

Have been dealing with life lately and not in a good way. I'm sure you guessed that though. I am restarting today. Starting small with basics though.

Warning: Might be TMI so feel free to ignore!
    I went to Indiana last weekend to visit my mom and stepdad, (who has post-polio syndrome and now bladder cancer that he has chosen not to treat). It was a nice visit. My mom has definitely been doing some reflecting on life and past choices. She actually apologized for many things in our past which took me totally by surprise. I told her that we all do the best we can at the time and everyone has regrets of some sort, and it's all good with her and I now. She is so worried and afraid. She looks good, but she also looks very tired and almost frail to me. My stepdad, P, has lost much weight and is having to hold onto walls to walk through the house. The post polio syndrome has affected his muscles so that he can barely swallow food (chokes), his hands are crippled and he cannot pick up a fork or cut his own meat, and he is still walking just by sheer stubbornness. He has no feeling in his feet, so he has large open wounds on one foot that my mom has to try to keep clean. It was great to see them, but it has made my husband and I so sad at the same time.

I also got a call last Wednesday that my father, R, whose kidneys have failed from chemo and has to start dialysis soon, found out on Wednesday that his abdominal cancer has returned also. This is the third bout in 4 years. He has decided to go to Mayo Clinic for a 2nd opinion on everything. He also lives 8 hours from us, so it's kind of a helpless feeling.

My stepdaughter is not doing well, but my husband has been trying to step in and help her since I have a lot on my plate already between work and family.
    Bottom line, I have been not a good girl. Eating anything and everything in any quantity I want. My fingers look like puffy sausages and I feel like garbage. I HAVE to get a grip and get myself back in line. I have today off because I'm really drained from the emotional trip. I plan to use this afternoon to get some healthy things done to set myelf up for a healthy successful week...Aldi's for produce, yogurt and cottage cheese. My husband is grilling chicken breasts that I can cut up to use in salads for lunch. I plan to take a ride to the gym to find out if my membership is still active, and I will maybe stay there even if I just walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. I'm going to ask my husband to get my bicycle out of the back garage so I can clean it up and make sure it's available for me to hop on and go whenever I want. Last year I asked him to take it down (it's hung up on hooks on the wall) but he never did, so I never rode it. I am not making these into my today's goals, however, because I need to keep those goals attainable and focused so I feel successful and not like I failed yet again.

I have missed you all so much. I hate when I go MIA! You have all become such a routine and important part of my life. I log on and I see what's up with my friends. I may not know you face to face, but I know you. That's worth a million bucks.

I just read the last 6 pages, and as much as I wish I could write to each of you, I'd never get anything done today! :mrgreen:

Just for Today:
    • Journal every single bite. I am only fooling myself if I think a handful of this and a handful of that doesn't add up.
    • Eat only while sitting down.
    • Try to incorporate protein into each meal and snack.
    • Added sugar <29 g.
    • WATER! Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Step away from the coffee and pick up the red water bottle.
    • Prep for tomorrow, today
    • Take at least 15 minutes for "me time", whatever that means to me today.
    • Be kind. Turn self-talk into positives.
    • Evening Ritual: Brush & floss by 8:00 and close kitchen / gratitude journal 5 things from today / read Joyce and Simple Abundance / lights out by 10:30.

Sorry for the novel, everyone! I needed to spell it all out so that I would really think about it and let it all sink in.

Hugs to all! I WILL hop back on later!

xxoo
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 I miss you too! <3 Happy to be back.

@mytime6630 <3

@Bex953172 <3 Hang in there mama. You have been through a whirlwind in the past year and I feel like your body just needed a break. Maybe still needs a break. So be kind to yourself. Keep up with the "I'm going to throw your toys away" threat and have the kids clean up after themselves. They are old enough to do that, but it's kind of a training thing because they never want to in the beginning! LOL!

Everyone needs alone time, especially when you have young children. Find ways to get that time. Even if it means shutting yourself in a room with a timer and telling everyone that until the timer goes off, you are off limits. I used to do that. 30 minutes taking a bubble bath and reading. Husband had to watch kids for 30 minutes and my door got locked. :) I smiled a lot more when I did this daily...

Love to all! TTYL!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,100 Member
    Options
    Where the heck is @maryrobinson40 ?! Is she okay? Xx
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Monday 13 May

Time to get serious again. Our visitors leave today and I am 3 kg above the middle of my maintenance target. Some of that is a result of yesterday's birthday celebrations but there has also been a gradual gain over the last fortnight.

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :) just
    Aim for 5 fruit and veg (may need to go shopping) >:) 4 and I did not go shopping
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    January water challenge :)
    February evening challenge :)
    March walking challenge :) I had a nice walk along the beach
    April positivity challenge :) Better food and drink choices today and I feel better for it.
    May activity challenge >:) forgot this one!

I will try to catch up on posts tomorrow as I am getting an early night - goodnight all

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    @snowflake Good luck tomorrow - rooting for you!!!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh, @PackerFanInGB ... damn, I don't even know what to say. Take care of yourself. Breathe. Do what you can, okay? Lots of hugs.

@MLHC1 - When is your final final?

@Snowflake1968 we've all got our fingers crossed for you!

I had the most awful day at work that I've had in a long, long, LONG time. No weights after school. Gonna go for a walk here in a lil bit to at least hit 10k. Dinner was toasted flatbread with fat-free cream cheese and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar, some Halo Top, and some diet-not-coke and whiskey.
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 Good luck tomorrow! Hope all goes well! And my friend and I live far apart too, I completely get it. we only get to see each other once a year so we try to make it count.

I had a grumpy cranky Monday. I am just rolling with it at this point. Tomorrow I don't have as much on my plate so I can relax and catch up on what I need to do.

JFT 5/13 Recap
    Eat mindfully :/ Not really. Let the busyness get the best of me and ate too fast.
    Eat for fuel/healthy choices :)
    30 minutes tempo run :) Did HIIT instead of tempo. Tomorrow is my long run Did 30 minutes of yoga too!
    laundry/pack :) Still have some to do but getting there!
    mindful meditation x3 for one minute each :( Nope. I really should have, crap day.
    Extra water today :) I did drink water with every meal and while exercising.

JFT 5/14
    Pack and Prep for guest
    Eat mindfully and within calories
    Extra water
    1 hour run/walk
    5 minutes stretching before/after

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,222 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    This was a hard weekend for me, and mothers day is not my favorite holiday. I guess because so many times I feel like such a failure as a mother. Our daughter is worsening again .... does it ever get easier for her, where they can figure out the meds, and it stay that way. I hurt so badly for hurt, yet there is nothing I can do, other than be there.
    So on mothers day she did not come out until 6pm, and I could tell it was a bad day. So we skipped eating out, and instead just grilled brats. But she would not eat with us ... instead went to her room and ate. I try not to say anything, and just let her do whatever she can do. All nite I was worried she would leave, but she stayed, but mostly crying and sobbing, turning on tv and just starring at the floor, but went back to her apartment at 10:30. She called us at 11:30 because she was having a panic attack, but did not want to come out. So I talked to her until I thought she was OK, but I could not sleep at all. I called her back at 12:15 to be sure she was OK, and she said she was, but I was awake all nite.
    Tonite she is out here again .... another day... another struggle for her. Life is so unfair at times.
    Our son did call though, so that made me feel better. He sounds happy and very busy, so I should not complain about him at all, other than I miss him being closer.
    We are having a ton of yard work being done ... trees cut, etc.So its been crazy, as they are working early in the morning. I have not been to the gym since last week.

My goals tomorrow are simple, since I still am not feeling all that well. So skipping the gym so I can get the grass mowed and yard work done.
    JFT, Tues, May 14
    1. mow grass
    2. trim boxwoods
    3. help hubby ship
    4. mindful eating
    5. protein with every meal/snack
    6. concentrate on 8+ water
    7. positive thought
    8. 5 somethings

Positive thought for the day: My daughter gave me some beautiful tulips, and told me she loves me. Hubby got me a beautiful green plant, and had a wonderful phone call from our son. So while things are not always what we wish for, things could also be much worse. We have each other.

@clicketykeys - so sorry you had a rough day. Hoping tomorrow goes better for you. Hugs.

@Snowflake1968 - good luck on the interview tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you, and sending positive vibes.

@bookmeister86 - happy to see you back! And great job with only gaining 2# while on vacation! You look awesome!

@PackerFanInGB - HUGS. I am at a loss for words .. you have so much on your plate. Just know we all care so much about you, and pray that you get the strength you need. We all love you. <3

@nlmackey98 - your day sounds like many of my days at times. We have such good intentions, but life happens, and we get off track. What I have to remember is that it takes 3500 calories to make a pound ... so even if you did eat 5000 calories (which I highly doubt you really did), you would burn at least 1500-1800 calories, so that still would not make you gain a pound. So just say that this is life, and get right back on track. You are doing great ... don't let those few days ruin all your hard work you have been doing.

@Bex -- how are you doing>??? You have been through so many changes this year, and with 3 little ones, a lot on your plate. I hope you can do like @PackerfaninGB says, and try and take a few minutes each day just for yourself. I remember when ours were little, and I was also babysitting 3 others (for 2 years I have 5 kids, all under the age of 6!!), I would try and get up a little early before everyone was up, just to have 15 minutes of quiet time. Or in the evenings, after they all went to bed. It is so important to take time just for you. Love you <3

Oh yes, and @maryrobinson --- are you OK??? We all miss you!!!

There are so many I would love to respond to, but just not enough time. But I can't say enough how much I love this group ... what a awesome group of caring people! Thank you all for being a part.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    @clicketykeys and @mytime6630 - Hugs to you both.

I am starting to get nervous about my interview, I don’t know what to wear and I’m scared I’ll have forgotten all of my studying. I have dreamt the last two nights that I didn’t get the job and I’m starting to panic a bit. I’m hoping that tomorrow morning I am much calmer.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Every night before I go to bed, I say some prayers, write in my Gratitude journal and post some kind of positive post on my fb page. Tonight this one spoke to me and I thought it might help all of us. qizwi773n9q0.jpeg
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @snowflake1968 - good luck today!!! I will be thinking of you and have everything crossed. Keep positive - remember how much work you have done for this. You are well-prepared and you have got this!! Totally understandable that you are nervous so don’t stress about that. If it shows to the interviewer then they know that you care so it’s not necessarily a bad thing! Best of luck to you, lovely.

@mytime6630, @PackerFanInGB - big hugs. So much pain and I wish I had words that could help. All I can say is I am frequently in awe of the strength of the women on this board. I truly hope things improve for you both.

@bex953172 totally agree with the others. You have carried your family through a lot the past few months and there is only so much we can manage at once. We have to prioritise, and with the girls so little it’s not surprising that you have little time left for yourself. I didn’t start my weight loss until my youngest was two (really pushing the definition of baby weight, lol!) so you’re well ahead of me! I think you’re right to go back to basics and start small and just try and log. It’s an incremental thing and eventually I know you will find the balance.

@nlmackey98 - agree with mytime. One off day will make zero difference in the big picture. Breathe and let go. Hugs.

@bookmeister86 - amazing pics. So glad you had a good time! Chile looks incredible. Welcome back!

@maryrobinson40 - wishing you better lovely!

@clicketykeys - sorry about your terrible day. Hugs.

Sounds like lots had a tough start to the week. Sending you all lots of love and strength. X
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I had a good day yesterday but it’s all gone slightly wrong this morning! I’m supposed to have a long run day on Tuesdays and I woke at 2 and went down to let the cat out and then didn’t get back to sleep for an hour or so. Then managed to completely oversleep so it’s too late for my run! Now that’s SHOULD be fine and i haven’t had a rest day for over a week. But I am often guilty of beating myself up for missing exercise and then just giving up on the day and eating all the things ‘because it’s ruined anyway’.

So, with that knowledge, my plan for the day must be simply to not do that! No self-sabotage, no guilt, no over-restricting or binging. Just a normal, logged, maintenance, or slightly under, day!!! Even as I write this I’m thinking about how I can change my usual routine to try and get enough steps in or burn some more through the day and that is not ok. I think sometimes the combination of wearing a fitness tracker and being on these forums a lot warps my sense of what is normal. Most people don’t exercise every day! But I feel like a failure if I miss one day. Ugh!

Monday goals recap:
    - morning workout ✅
    - pack snacks, milk, bags for school ✅
    - remember to take sunflower seeds ✅
    - remind C re parents picking up ✅
    - early to work to hand over to student teacher ✅
    - check if there is soil for planting ✅
    - invigilating in year 6 in am ✅
    - home lunchtime for car and shake ✅
    - leave by 5 ✅
    - health food store after work ❎
    - book train tickets for 23rd ✅
    - bed by 9:30 ✅

Tuesday goals:
    - rest day (unscheduled, lol!) Pre-log the day, stick to plan and don’t feel guilty
    - Pack snacks and schoolbags
    - Print off sunflower diaries on arrival at school
    - Invigilator meeting 8:50am
    - Home lunchtime for car and shake
    - Meeting after school (book look)
    - health food store and eyebrow threading after work
    - Kids piano practice and hair wash
    - Do not self sabotage!!
    - Bed by 9

Wish you all a great day x
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    First day back at work after holiday today. I am not particularly looking forward to it (other than seeing my colleagues), however I am feeling grateful that I have a job to go back to which pays me well and which is fulfilling, even if it is stressful. I saw quite a bit of poverty whilst on holiday and it did remind me that I'm really lucky (even though it doesn't always feel that way!)

The day hasn't started particularly well as I slept terribly. Tip for dealing with jet lag: When travelling east, DON'T allow yourself to sleep in until 11 (i.e. holiday wake-up time) on your first day back..... I was awake till god knows what time last night as my brain just wasn't tired. Feeling rather tired now! I'll be kind to myself today and leave work promptly so as to have a decent night's sleep tonight.

Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Be in the green :neutral:50 in the red due to unplanned gin...
    - 3+ bottles water :smile:
    - Get outside for a walk :/Ran out of time, got absorbed in my French (that's a good thing though!)
    - No eating whilst standing :neutral: I had a couple of small pieces of saucisson while waiting for very late dinner
    - Savour every bite :/ I forgot to do this. Out of practice after not writing this every day for two weeks!
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :neutral: Didn't really have any
    - Give myself credit! :neutral:Forgot to do this too
    - Stay positive :smile:
    - 3+ of French book, article, podcast, Duolingo :smile:
    - Sort out holiday money :/ I will do this later this week
    - Do holiday reviews :smile:
    - Catch up on emails :smile:
    - Do lots of French work :smile:
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :/No, lights off by 12 and then didn't sleep for a loooooooong time

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No alcohol

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 45+ minute lunch break
    - Get outside at lunch
    - Meditate
    - 3+ of French book, article, podcast, Duolingo
    - Finish work by 6pm
    - Laundry!
    - Quality time with boyfriend
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 50 in the red

Today's positive thought: I'm happy to see my colleagues after a two week break.

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

I'm running out of time now so I'll respond to messages later but I just want to send lots of good luck to @Snowflake1968 - you will do great today, I'm sure! You have done lots of preparation, am sure you will do well. Just make sure you take time to relax beforehand - and never be afraid to pause and think before answering a question. It feels scary to do that but it is absolutely fine to do so, and makes you look thoughtful and considered! Best of luck x
  • clicketykeys
    edited May 2019
    Options
    *hugs* Yeah, I woke up at 12:30 and tried to get back to sleep and couldn't. It's now 3:00 and I'm feeling like I could get a few more hours in. So much for my AM run. *sigh* At least it's supposed to be nice out. Maybe I can go for a walk after school.

Edit: I did unload the dishwasher and update today's plans. Sooo, not completely useless? :P
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Checking in from Monday
    1. AM walk/intervals. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea!
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Update first directions. Put chapter 7 work on cart.
    3. Class 1-2: Grammar review. Chapter 7 work.
    4. Planning: A - Grade late work. B - Sort research essays. C - Grade late work. D - Grade late work.
    5. Class 4: Begin Romeo and Juliet.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Lifting 3:30. Elliptical to 10k. Read 10 pages of Shortest. Pack lunch.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Get D to checkmark completion work.
    9. Prep Tue lunch. Chop celery. Therapy exercises at 8:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:00.

JFT Tuesday
    1. AM run: 2.5 miles. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Coffee! Update JFT.
    2. Before school: Update first directions. Update class websites. Pack completion work for checkmarks.
    3. Class 1-2: Article response. Chapter 8 work. Prep for Socratic discussion - respond with my own ideas in a way that shows understanding of the material 3x; respond to others' ideas in a way that shows understanding and expands on them 2x. Sort into groups. Grade homework.
    4. Planning: A - Grade late work. B - Draft essay. C - Grade research. D - Grade late work.
    5. Class 4: Finish R&J Act 1.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Read 10 pages of Shortest. Draft presentation. Pack lunch. Weigh and prep celery. Prep cheese. Walk to 10k?
    8. Gratitude journal. Respond to twitter. Write blog post? Write Lang8?
    9. Prep Wed lunch. Chop celery. Pack towel and gear. Therapy exercises at 8:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 192

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie). Add lamp and wobble board to grocery list.
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist. Onco. PCP. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia??? House Mgr Friday.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling and taking items to the dump.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday.

WFTY: Climbing.
    Positive thought: I am SO glad I'm married to someone who has values similar to mine. I came home and vented about the absolute ridiculous hypocrisy of "your actions are what define you" while at the same time "but you need to look nice, too."

Hopefully regression to the mean will result in today being not as rancid as yesterday. I'm going back to bed.
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

I am trying to catch up and respond to a few of you - there's so much going on and a mix of success and struggles. Hugs to you all

@maryrobinson40 and MLHC1 Get well soon
    @clicketykeys I hope today is better for you
    @snowflake1968 good luck with the interview
    @PackerFanInGB @mytime6630 and @Bex953172 you are strong women and my thoughts are with you in you struggles with the challenges that life is throwing your way
    @bookmeister86 lovely holiday photos. Thank you for sharing