JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• lafayettenana
    lafayettenana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 6 days post op. My discomfort level is minimal and I am sleeping well. Trying to keep the pain meds to a minimal because it's causing constipation (and absolutely NO wine while I'm on them). My 86 year old mother came over Monday and brought me lunch ( it was my deceased sister's birthday and I knew she'd be especially sad so close after Mother's Day. She has lost major people in her life the past 3 years). Well, we got into a big blow up. She was disappointed that I didn't call her earlier in the day on Mother's Day. I had sent a card so it arrived on Saturday, texted her early afternoon saying I' d call her early evening and then when I called her at 4:30, the first thing out of her mouth was, "I thought you'd forgotten me." The fact that I'd had major surgery (TKR) on Wednesday didn't cut me any slack. I am sorry to vent like this. This is why I try to go a number of days between phone calls with her and only visit about once a week. Argh....

I've been only eating whole foods and keeping my calories at about 1400 calories as that's what my body is expending (and not very hungry) with all the time in bed and sitting. I also had the time to watch a video that went into depth about "Calorie Density" that really makes a lot of sense. This group has very full lives so not sure you can invest in an hour and 20 minute into the lecture but he's a fun guy and keeps things interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg
    There is an 8 minute edited video that summaries his approach. His name is Jeff Novick to find the shorter video.

Tomorrow's goals will be to get all my prescribed exercise done- there is a lot that the physical therapist told me to do .
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: TENACITY
    • Journal every single bite. I am only fooling myself if I think a handful of this and a handful of that doesn't add up. :)
    • Eat only while sitting down. :)
    • Try to incorporate protein into each meal and snack. :)
    • Added sugar <29 g. :)
    • WATER! Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Step away from the coffee and pick up the red water bottle. :#
    • Prep for tomorrow, today :)
    • Take at least 15 minutes for "me time", whatever that means to me today. :)
    • Be kind. Turn self-talk into positives. :)
    • Evening Ritual: Brush & floss by 8:00 and close kitchen / gratitude journal 5 things from today / read Joyce and Simple Abundance / lights out by 10:30. :)

Just for Tuesday: TENACITY
    • Journal every single bite. :)
    • Eat only while sitting down. :# Forgot when I was grabbing snack earlier.
    • Try to incorporate protein into each meal and snack. :s
    • Added sugar <29 g :)
    • WATER! Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. :#
    • Prep for tomorrow, today :)
    • Take at least 15 minutes for "me time", whatever that means to me today. :)Read posts on here!
    • Be kind. Turn self-talk into positives. :)
    • Evening Ritual: Brush & floss by 8:00 and close kitchen / gratitude journal 5 things from today / read Joyce and Simple Abundance / lights out by 10:30. :)I'm about to do this in the next few minutes.

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Wednesday:
    TENACITY
    • Journal every single bite.
    • Eat only while sitting down.
    • Incorporate protein into each meal and snack.
    • Added sugar <29 g.
    • WATER! Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.
    • Get outside and take a walk at lunch.
    • Prep for tomorrow, today.
    • Take at least 15 minutes for "me time", whatever that means to me today.
    • Be kind. Watch the self-talk. Be your own BFF.
    • Evening Ritual: Brush & floss by 8:00 and close kitchen / gratitude journal 5 things from today / read Joyce and Simple Abundance / lights out by 10:30.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    tamia1972 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! 👋

My name is Tamia and I’m new here. I’m looking for a group like this for encouragement. I’m in the process to get bariatric surgery. I’ve been overweight all of my life. Because of this I have many health issues (diabetes 2, HBP, high cholesterol, asthma, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, Polymyositis) . I’m in month 2 of a physician supervised diet (they require 6 months). I’ve already reached a few personal goals: I’ve cut out soda, I’m drinking 2 liters of water a day, cut out sugar(my blood sugar is thanking me), cut out bread. Now, I’m in the process of following the Keto diet. I will have my second weigh-in on May 23rd. My weight at my first weigh-in was 446lbs. This is my highest weight. I’m needing to be accountable. Well, that’s me. Im making a goal to log my food everyday and to post here daily. Big (((hug)))
    to you all. 🤗

Welcome, Tamia!!! You've come to the right group! Lots of support, motivation, judgement free and a great way to stay accountable.

I'm really proud of you for cutting out the soda, sugar and bread! I try and try but I struggle with it terribly! That's a HUGE accomplishment! I look forward to taking this journey with you. :flowerforyou:
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! 👋

My name is Tamia and I’m new here. I’m looking for a group like this for encouragement. I’m in the process to get bariatric surgery. I’ve been overweight all of my life. Because of this I have many health issues (diabetes 2, HBP, high cholesterol, asthma, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, Polymyositis) . I’m in month 2 of a physician supervised diet (they require 6 months). I’ve already reached a few personal goals...

Hi. I’m Nikki. Really glad you’re here. I’m still relatively new to the group yet they treat me like an old friend. We encourage always, offer support when we can and are always here to lend an ear.

Proud of you for making a decision to vastly improve your health. How long do you do a medically supervised diet?
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,210 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! 👋

My name is Tamia and I’m new here. I’m looking for a group like this for encouragement. I’m in the process to get bariatric surgery. I’ve been overweight all of my life. Because of this I have many health issues (diabetes 2, HBP, high cholesterol, asthma, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, Polymyositis) . I’m in month 2 of a physician supervised diet (they require 6 months). I’ve already reached a few personal goals: I’ve cut out soda, I’m drinking 2 liters of water a day, cut out sugar(my blood sugar is thanking me), cut out bread. Now, I’m in the process of following the Keto diet. I will have my second weigh-in on May 23rd. My weight at my first weigh-in was 446lbs. This is my highest weight. I’m needing to be accountable. Well, that’s me. Im making a goal to log my food everyday and to post here daily. Big (((hug)))
    to you all. 🤗

Glad to have you join us Tamia! And you are doing great it sounds .... cutting out sugar and soda!! And bread!! I have been trying to cut out diet soda for so long, and also cutting out sugar.
    You will love this group of friends ... always so much support and encouragement! You'll get there ... I know!
  • mytime6630
    edited May 2019
    Options
    JFT, Tues, May 14
    1. mow grass :)
    2. trim boxwoods :)
    3. help hubby ship :/
    4. mindful eating :/:/ they always say if someone is in a deep state of depression... get them out. Do things with them. How do you do that when the person is unwilling to even try to feel better. :'( So ... I ate tonite. Walnuts, a orange, a smoothie, more walnuts, etc etc.
    5. protein with every meal/snack :/ It was a busy day... and hot dog for lunch, and hot dog for dinner. Not the best meals. No wonder I binged tonite. Lesson learned.
    6. concentrate on 8+ water :/
    7. positive thought :/
    8. 5 somethings :/

TOmorrow will be a new day for me. Today ... not the best day, and I am exhausted from mowing grass, trimming boxwoods, then had to walk to the bank (which is 3 miles) because the workers cutting down the trees blocked our driveway. So hoping I at least wore off what I ate.

JFT, Wed
    1. go to the gym!
    2. log all food
    3. concentrate protein with every meal and snack
    4. concentrate on water
    5. when stressed. ... go and lay down. Do not grab food. It will not help.
  • mytime6630
    Options

Scale moved in the right direction, probably because I drank more water yesterday

Great job! I am finding when I remember to drink a lot of water, the scale does show it!
  • mytime6630
    Options

Yesterday was a total bust. I didn't get a single thing done. I got caught up in a book. I just really needed to spend some time out of my head. It was really nice. Then I spent an hour on the couch with just laughing and goofing off. T

I would not call a day like that a total bust! Sometimes you just need a day to not do anything. To let your body and mind rest with a good book .... and a good laugh! Sounds like great day to me!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    I wanted to share a article I read tonite:

What to eat if you're always angry:

Oatmeal -- Oatmeal consumption helps lower body mass index and body weight.

Beans - if you add beans to your meal, increases satiety by an average of 31%

Non-starchy vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peppers, etc. They are high in water and fiber, and have more volume, which means they take up more space in your stomach.

Eggs - One study found that women reported that they consumed less food for up to 36 hrs when they ate eggs for breakfast.

avocado - Half an avocado with a meal can quell the urge to eat for hours.

nuts - Nuts have been linked with suppressing the desire to eat.

greek yogurt - delivers up to 22 g protein, which will help reduce the desire to eat and keep you feeling full longer

brothy soup - all that liquid will help fill you up with few calories.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

Non-starchy vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peppers, etc. They are high in water and fiber, and have more volume, which means they take up more space in your stomach.

Eggs - One study found that women reported that they consumed less food for up to 36 hrs when they ate eggs for breakfast.

greek yogurt - delivers up to 22 g protein, which will help reduce the desire to eat and keep you feeling full longer

Great insights @mytime6630 - but did you mean to write ‘if you’re always angry’ lol? Had to laugh at that typo because if I’m hungry, I’m frequently angry! The ‘hanger’ is real! 😉
  • Faebert
    Options
    I’ve just had my longest ever run everyone! Woke up super early again and decided not to go back to sleep in case I overslept again. Decided to challenge myself to a long run and try and go slower to allow for it. Gave myself an hour and a half and managed 15k (over 9 miles) in a bit less than that time so not far off my 10k pace. So proud of myself! Hoping I won’t suffer too much for it but I have time out of class today when I can rest and stretch.

Most importantly though was that I made peace with my unplanned rest day yesterday. Stuck to the plan and didn’t let myself stress about being under step and activity goals. Ate my cals and no more, even coming a little under goal but not letting myself get hungry. Win!

Tuesday goals recap:
    - rest day (unscheduled, lol!) Pre-log the day, stick to plan and don’t feel guilty ✅ 😃
    - Pack snacks and schoolbags ✅
    - Print off sunflower diaries on arrival at school ✅
    - Invigilator meeting 8:50am ✅
    - Home lunchtime for car and shake ✅
    - Meeting after school (book look) ✅
    - health food store and eyebrow threading after work ✅
    - Kids piano practice ✅ and hair wash ❎
    - Do not self sabotage!! ✅ yes! Progress!
    - Bed by 9❎

Wednesday goals:
    - morning run ✅ 😊
    - pack snacks and schoolbag
    - cash for piano teacher on way to work
    - early to work for staff choir
    - reply to S re science workshop
    - check reply from A’s mum
    - home lunchtime for car and shake
    - planning time - veggie snacks only
    - type up stories
    - leave by 4
    - Pick up kids 4:45
    - piano practice
    - buy Greek salad ingredients for topic lesson on Greece
    - bed by 9:30

Have a great day all x
  • Faebert
    Options
    I’ll catch up on everyone’s posts this evening or tomorrow morning but wanted to take a minute to thank you all for the well wishes on the interview.

He told me he liked me and if I had the financial management background I would definitely be the front runner. He is looking for someone that can hit the ground running and be able to do the presentations for their clients employees. I told him that Sarah had lead me to believe that that function would be a few months down the road and that if given the opportunity he wouldn’t be disappointed.

I have the impression that he and Sarah aren’t on the same page as to what the role they are hiring for is going to entail and it will be what they decide on that will be the deciding factor.

They don’t plan on making a decision for a couple of weeks so I guess I’ll know then. I know I have given it my best and I will be disappointed but understand if I don’t get it.

Thanks again for all of your support it means a lot to me.

Well done @snowflake1968. Sounds like you did a great job and I for one believe they would be lucky to have you. Hope you can relax today and enjoy feeling proud of yourself. And now some time to just enjoy the wedding prep! X
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    mytime6630 wrote: »

Great insights @mytime6630 - but did you mean to write ‘if you’re always angry’ lol? Had to laugh at that typo because if I’m hungry, I’m frequently angry! The ‘hanger’ is real! 😉

I'm often angry regardless of hunger - some of my collegues are very frustrating!

My first thought on reading this was 'ooh interesting, are there some foods that will chill me out and make me less cross'? Disappointed that is not the case ;)

I believe herbal/camomile tea may be good for reducing anger!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :/I had an impromptu trip to the pub with colleagues after work and had wine/crisps. I don't regret it (yet), I appreciated the time with my awesome colleagues, who I may not be working with that much longer (hopefully). I didn't have so much I can't compensate for it later for this week.
    - Be in the green :/1000 over, works out as just within maintainance across Mon/Tue...
    - 3+ bottles water :neutral:Just finishing my third bottle now...
    - No alcohol :/

- No eating whilst standing :/I had a couple of the sweets I bought back from holiday, whilst standing. I am hoping they get eaten up soon - not planning to have more myself
    - Savour every bite :neutral:
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :smile: After having wine, I was tempted to buy chocolate too (in a 'sod it' moment) but talked myself out of it.
    - Give myself credit! :smile:
    - Stay positive :smile:

- 45+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - Get outside at lunch :smiley:
    - Meditate :/
    - 3+ of French book, article, podcast, Duolingo :smile:
    - Finish work by 6pm :smile:
    - Laundry! :smile:
    - Quality time with boyfriend :neutral:Not as much as planned due to pub trip, but still some
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan (including lunch choice)
    - Be in the green
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No alcohol

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 3+ of French book, article, podcast, Duolingo
    - Leave work by 5.15pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 1000 in red (500 average per day)

Today's positive thought: It's sunny again and everything is green and fresh!

• awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    JFT Tuesday
    1. Log all food👎
    2. Drink 150oz water👍
    3. Meditate 👍
    4. Gym👍

JFT Wednesday
    1. Log all food
    2. Drink 150oz water
    3. Workout at home
    4. Meditate
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Tuesday
    1. AM run: 2.5 miles. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Coffee! Update JFT.
    2. Before school: Update first directions. Update class websites. Pack completion work for checkmarks.
    3. Class 1-2: Article response. Chapter 8 work. Prep for Socratic discussion - respond with my own ideas in a way that shows understanding of the material 3x; respond to others' ideas in a way that shows understanding and expands on them 2x. Sort into groups. Grade homework. Where the heck is the chapter 1-2 work? UGH. Make a list of assignments and print directions for D.
    4. Planning: A - Grade late work. B - Lunch duty. C - Grade research. D - Grade late work.
    5. Class 4: Finish R&J Act 1.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Maybe go for a run after school? Read 10 pages of Shortest. Draft presentation. Pack lunch. Weigh and prep celery. Prep cheese. Walk to 10k?
    8. Gratitude journal. Respond to twitter. Write blog post? Write Lang8?
    9. Prep Wed lunch. Chop celery. Pack towel and gear. Therapy exercises at 8:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Wednesday
    1. AM walk. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update first directions. Update class websites.
    3. Class 1-2: Socratic discussion; put desks back in rows!
    4. Planning: A - Input research. B - Grade assessments. C - Grade late work. D - Input assessments. Figure out parts for Acts 2-3.
    5. Class 4: R&J 2-3; Socratic seminar tomorrow.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Lifting 3:30. Treadmill to 10k. Chop celery. Prep cheese. Pack lunch.
    8. Gratitude journal. Read 10 pages of Shortest. PACK TOWEL.
    9. Therapy exercises at 8:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00. Alarm set for 5:00. Update Goodreads Friday.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 192

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie). Add lamp and wobble board to grocery list.
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist. Onco. PCP. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia??? House Mgr Friday.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling and taking items to the dump.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday.

WFTY: Climbing.
    Positive thought: Almost there.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I feel like this week is already flying by and I can barely keep up!

@Snowflake1968 Wishing you the best of luck while they decide, but regardless of what happens, just know that they'd be lucky to have someone so dedicated as you are, and if they can't see that somebody else will!

@mytime6630 Big hugs. I know it's a struggle, but even though your daughter is resisting, the fact that you keep trying is so important. In the deepest parts of my depression my mom kept trying and it meant the world to me.

@tamia1972 Welcome, we are happy to have you here!

Yesterday 5/14:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay within calorie goal😁
    3. Go for a walk at lunch😁
    4. Finish work at 5:15😑
    5. Workout after work😁
    6. Give Rukia her p.m. pills😁

JFT 5/15:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay within calorie goal
    3. Go for a walk at lunch
    4. Finish work at 5:15