JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thursday my workplace is open again but I am taking a personal day I had previously scheduled. It's my mom's 82nd birthday and I had planned to drive 90 miles to spend part of the day with her, dad, and other family members able to be there to celebrate. With another day of dangerous wind chills, and roads still not great with blowing snow, probably icy stretches in the rural areas, I called Mom today to debate whether I would make the trip. I'm really torn and want to be there so bad. She and Dad were extremely relieved I would stay home ~ I am 61 yo and my parents still worry about me!

BTW we missed a record low today. Our record is -31F and we only had -19. :o There is no wind chill record that I know of.

I have decided I will stay home Th. Evening choir has been cancelled, and the citrus I ordered for a fundraiser has rescheduled pick up since it's at a high school, where classes are cancelled again. So I will be home for the entire day again. But I will do more than I did on my very lazy Wed. So posting my goals tonight.

JFT 1/31 Th
    1) Month end w-i and measurements / log on MFP
    2) Treadmill 3 miles
    3) Move hourly / 5 somethings
    4) Finish writing cards & car payment check that must now be mailed instead of delivered personally
    5) Make fruit salad (that I was going to take to mom and dad's)
    6) Prelog meals & snacks / net calories zero / 12c water
    7) Declutter at least 15 min. / other to-do's
    8) Unplug 9:00 / floss / retainers / bed and TV off 10:20

Night all, and stay warm!!!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,219 Member
    Options
    Somehow I hit something, that made the type so TINY on this page. Does anyone know what I did, and how I can fix it?? I must be viewing this now at about 25%!!!! But I don't know what I did, and how to put it back to original size? So if you see lots of typos ... thats why!! :s
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thursday January 31st

Accurately log
    5 fruit and veg
    Stay below maintenance calories
    January water challenge
    Fitbit excercise goals
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Somehow I hit something, that made the type so TINY on this page. Does anyone know what I did, and how I can fix it?? I must be viewing this now at about 25%!!!! But I don't know what I did, and how to put it back to original size? So if you see lots of typos ... thats why!! :s

Can you try pressing CTRL and + ?

That often makes things bigger (and CTRL and - the reverse, which might be what you accidentally did, I've done that before)
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :neutral: I had an extra hot chocolate (40 kcals). Only small, but an extra hot chocolate every day = 4lb over a year! (Terrifying)
    - Be in the green :neutral: Just over due to hot chocolate
    - 3+ bottles water :smile:
    - No alcohol :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :smile:
    - Savour every bite :smile:
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :neutral:
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :neutral:
    - Give myself credit! :neutral:

- 45 minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :/ Somehow didn't have time on my lunch break and also forgot my headphones which didn't help!
    - Stop work at 5pm :smile:
    - Beck diet solution :smiley:
    - Gratitude journal :neutral: I think I couldn't be bothered rather than forgot

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol
    - Exercise DVD

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Beck diet solution
    - Call boyfriend by 10pm latest
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: About 1300 in red. Hopefully will reduce this by 200 today

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 967 Member
    Options

I have a son that I worry about all the time like this. He tries so hard... I raised my kids by myself because I divorced their dad for being abusive. So, I'm kind of all they've got too since their dad really never pursued being in their life. It's hard to want to fix it for them, but it's just not always possible. (((HUGS)))

Faebert wrote: »

@littleblackskirt - sorry about your worries about your son. I guess the worry never ends when you have kids - even when they’re grown up! I know a few people on here have struggles with their adult children like @mytime6630 and @maryrobinson40. I think it’s so wonderful that you are there for him to listen to his problem and provide support. You are all amazing mothers and an inspiration to me.

No the worry never ends! My parents worry about me too. A few years ago my younger son W had some major stuff going on, and that started me overeating and put all the weight I'd lost back on! I need to learn how to cope better with their problems, remind myself that very little is permanent and things will resolve and get better. The proof is W is now settled with a lovely partner and pets :)

@Snowflake1968 , your daughters facebook posts brought tears to my eyes, very well written. It's not always obviously that someone has mental health issues. My son W's partner has issues and if they hadn't told me when they first started going out I wouldn't have known. She's doing great now.

JFT 31st January

Log everything and stay under calories
    Do back exercises, think they might be starting to help
    Walk with a friend
    Make soup before friend arrives
    Must must must sort out electricity supplier, last day!

• awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    JFT Wednesday
    1. Log all food 👍
    2. Meditate once👍
    3. Exercise when I get home👍
    4. Don’t get off track because it’s a snow day and you’re off the routine👍

JFT Thursday
    1. Log all food and stay in the green
    2. Meditate twice
    3. Go to gym
  • michiwano
    michiwano Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    JFT 1/30 Goals Recap:
    - 👍🏾Log all the food I eat
    - ❌Spend 30 minutes on the elliptical
    - 👍🏾Report results/progress at the end of the day

JFT 1/31 Goals:
    - Log all the food I eat
    - Spend 30 minutes on the elliptical
    - Report results/progress at the end of the day
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,428 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    JFT (after work only) Jan 29 GOALs
    • Check Google Maps for best route home B)
    • another 2 X 5 minutes HIIT right when I get home B)
    • Jogging / exergame before supper B):# 80 minutes total, before AND after supper
    • Toastmasters getting the Level One requirements DONE after supper >:) Nope. Book and well-earned snack-time! Air-popped popcorn / taste of Dark Chocolate Bark
    • Enter all my various MFP accountability reports B)

To Be Done (but signing off now)
    • Wash up dishes B)
    • Pre-weigh / pre-pack breakfast & lunch for tomorrow B)
    • Put recycling to the curb B)
    • Make sure car is plugged in and snow-screen on windshield before turning in B)

JFT (before work only) Jan 30 GOALS
    • out of bed RIGHT when alarm rings :#(within 5 minutes .... )
    • NO OPENING A BOOK! B)o:)
    • weigh-in / 2 X 5 minute HIIT / cook breakfast. (finish by 6:55) B)
    • pre-log everything including anticipated supper B)
    • PACK breakfast and take to the office to eat. B)
    • Check Google Maps / Directions for traffic time estimate and best route B)
    • Leave before 7:30
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    t0kexp4nz6l5.jpg
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    @HEGoddard0928 sorry to hear about your MIL. My heart goes out to your husband & his family for having to make that decision. And you sound like such a wonderful support to your husband.

I hope your husband likes the new store.

• Elbee1
    Options
    r6865ud8rdrp.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I know this but wish I could keep it on my mind at all times. I will try to remember to print out a couple copies of it when I get home from work. I'm such an emotional eater. I eat carelessly when I'm happy about something, when I'm sad, mad and/or stressed. It's ridiculous & I know it. But it's like a temporary insanity that happens over & over again for years. I know better but haven't been able to stop it. Seeing it laid out like that is fantastic!

Someone please help my brain remember to print this out. I may put it on my wall at work & by my computer at home. Or maybe even hang it on my kitchen wall and/or TV and dashboard of car. I know it may seem like overdoing it, but I think that I need it. Spelled out- front & center. Please hold me to this y'all.

Thanks so much!!!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Take shoes. Update JFT by - well, by 8:30.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Enter grades. Print Socratic papers and roster for notes.
    3. Class 1-2: Socratic discussion. HW: Reputation.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Update unit 2 plans and print. B - Grade classwork C - Enter grades. D - Two discussion comments. Check on Week 4 project. Blog post. Get candy for presentation bribes!
    5. Class 4: Reflection presentations; listeners take notes. Grammar closer - review prepositional phrases HW: New Myth, prepositional phrases.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Strength 4:30. Draft Week 4 project. Put laundry away.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. WARM UP THE CAR.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Print buttons test strip.
    3. Class 1-2: Touch on WLGs. Grammar practice: Check pronoun work. JC 3-4. Conferences. (Tomorrow also.) HW - Persuasion.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Gratitude journal. Update unit 2 plans and print. B - Grade homeworks. C - Enter grades. D - Check grammar test. Two discussion comments. Check on Week 3 project. Blog post. Take portfolios, crate, and essay revision sheets.
    5. Class 4: LAB - revise essays. Grammar test. Presentations. City-state assignments & research. HW: Middle School Wish List. PRINT ESSAY COPIES FOR ABSENT STUDENTS.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Pick up d20s. Draft Week 4 project. Wash clothes.
    8. Quiz. Update Goodreads Friday. Call Cook sub Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 188.0

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Honors also needs practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases.
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook and lessons.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Take recycling to center. Wash car.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

@BMcC9 - How do you deal with going out to eat on your Ultimate Challenge thing? Does logging your best guess count, or do you have to use a pass?

Word of the year: Climbing. Today is certainly going to feel like a climb since I woke up at like 1:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Will I make it to Zumba?

Whoops! I thought I clicked post already. Oh well :)
  • Elbee1
    Options

Got into peanuts again.

Peanuts has been one of my weaknesses too. Hugs.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @BMcC9 - How do you deal with going out to eat on your Ultimate Challenge thing? Does logging your best guess count, or do you have to use a pass?

The overarching point of the challenge is to own your choices, so there are no "forbidden foods" OR "cheat days".

With up to 3 passes available, that means aiming for "making healthy macro-total choices 90% of the time - allows for special events" (Very few managed in December, due to so many seasonal social events ... even our Moderator was 4-or-more that month)

If you know in advance that the eating out will be happening, check out the on-line menu and nutritional info. Do some strategic planning both for ordering choices and how to rearrange the calories in the rest of your day.

If it is a weekend, burn some extra exercise calories, to allow more room to "stay inside calorie limits" and go right up to "Still in Green by 1" if you have to. Stick to your plan.

Many restaurants have entries already in the MFP database. So you can try out options in context of the rest of your day. If you can find the nutrition info online, but it isn't in the database (and you don't want to add yourself) make a note of the macro breakdowns your food diary displays, and look for "as close as you can get" similar restaurant chain dishes that are in the database . Better to choose something "slightly over" when looking for "close enough"

(If you have done this for that particular restaurant before, you will already have some idea of what is "worth the calories" and "what isn't" .... ask yourself "will I have the appetizer I love and skip dessert, or the other way around?"

If you are still into The Red => don't stress or fuss. This was an event and an "INTENTIONAL, planned pass".

If you end up using 4 (or more) passes in a month, try to use one (or more) less next month. Maybe reassess if you HAVE to eat out / have takeout as often as you were ..... (greatly depends on your social life / clusters of family birthdays & anniversaries, and your usual-to-date weekly routine)

• BMcC9
    Options
    JFT (after work only) Jan 30 REPORTING
    • Check Google Maps for best route home B)
    • another 2 X 5 minutes HIIT right when I get home B)
    • Jogging / exergame before supper B):# 80 minutes total, before AND after supper
    • Toastmasters getting the Level One requirements DONE after supper >:) Nope. Book and well-earned snack-time! Air-popped popcorn / taste of Dark Chocolate Bark
    • Enter all my various MFP accountability reports B)
    • Wash up dishes B)
    • Pre-weigh / pre-pack breakfast & lunch for tomorrow B)
    • Put recycling to the curb B)
    • Make sure car is plugged in and snow-screen on windshield before turning in B)

JFT (before work only) Jan 31 REPORTING
    • out of bed RIGHT when alarm rings :#(within 5 minutes .... )
    • NO OPENING A BOOK! B)o:)
    • weigh-in / 2 X 5 minute HIIT / cook breakfast. (finish by 6:55) B)
    • pre-log everything including anticipated supper B)
    • PACK breakfast and take to the office to eat. B)
    • Check Google Maps / Directions for traffic time estimate and best route B)
    • Leave before 7:30 B) pulled out by 7:33!

The good news - no need to scrape frost off the car windows today .... because ..... (bad news) it's been soooo cold for soooo many days in a row that there is no moisture left in the air TO condense into ice or frost on the car windows ....
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,791 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post my weekly weigh in yesterday, so here it is. I average over 7 days.

i44icc5dwwfz.png
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,092 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 i totally forgot you learnt how to swim last year! How is that going still? X
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,219 Member
    Options

Can you try pressing CTRL and + ?

That often makes things bigger (and CTRL and - the reverse, which might be what you accidentally did, I've done that before)

THANK YOU!!! THAT DID IT!! Now I can read :)