JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,792 Member
    Options
    PackerfaninGB - Arizona sounds wonderful, I bet you wish it was this week! The posting for the job I really want closes on Feb 7. I haven’t put my application in yet as I have someone rewording my cover letter and then I need to reword my resume. I really am regretting not spending a couple hundred to have my resume professionally done before my job ended. I had thought about it but was talked out of it by s couple people that offered to help me but now they haven’t come through. My problem is I was the “jack of all trades” in my last 20 years. I did a lot of everything and trying to put that into words and in a manner that translates well to others is very difficult. I so want this job though, it would be so perfect for me.

Faebert - good for you for running and doing it. I have not been out for a walk since October. I’m missing it, but I don’t have the proper clothing or the money to get it. Maybe next winter I’ll be able to keep it up.

Mytime6630 - my heart hurts for you and your daughter. It must be so hard for her wanting to be what she used to be and not knowing how to get there. I hope she chooses to stay with you and doesn’t put you in the position of having to admit her as this would be incredibly hard for you even though you know how needed it would be. You did really well for not overeating.

Littleblackskirt- my eldest hadn’t told a lot of people. Her in-laws judge her a lot I think and there are many times I have wanted to just tell them, but didn’t feel it was my place. Her MIL posted on her post and thanked her for sharing. I hope that this starts making that a better relationship now. My other daughters MIL to be in July is a professor and head of the physiology department at her university, she has been very understanding and helpful.

Elbee1 - I hope you do print this out and put it on your go to cupboard when you feel like snacking and your fridge and your car. Carry it in your wallet with you money or bank card. I can’t believe what a difference my little sign has done for me with my 5 somethings in the bathroom. My daughter was telling me about a friend of hers that is writing notes to herself on everything she can with dry erase markers. It’s working for her.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,792 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    @Snowflake1968 i totally forgot you learnt how to swim last year! How is that going still? X

I haven’t made it to the rec centre to swim since my last lesson. A friend actually contacted me the other day and asked if I would attend lessons with her this Spring if she paid. I told her I would, she wants support to go and I figure it wouldn’t hurt me at all.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,219 Member
    Options
    Today in Canada one of our Communication companies has Let’s Talk day. It is to raise money and awareness for Mental Health. Both of my girls suffers and are usually very silent about it. Even their grandparents aren’t aware of their struggles. I was shocked and so incredibly proud when I saw that they both posted on their Facebook today and announced their issues in the hopes of helping others. Guys, today I cried. I am such a proud Mama. I have posted their posts in the Spoilers. The first is my eldest and the second is my youngest.
    [In the past few years I've gotten to be fairly open about my struggles with what I thought was post partum depression. What I didn't know until last spring is that my actual diagnosis is Depression, Social Anxiety, and General Anxiety. Since learning that, I've been trying different meds to find what helps, and learning new coping mechanisms. I'm doing better now, the meds I'm on help a lot, they give me the motivation I need to use the tools I've been given.
    But I still have bad days, days when all I want to is stay in bed, or stay on the couch mindlessly surfing Pinterest or watching TV. Or days when I can't convince myself to leave the house because "omg, there are people out there, what if they see me, what if they laugh at me, what if they judge me?!" Logically, I know that strangers don't care about me, even if they do notice me.
    I know that life is hard for my kids. I know my mental illnesses affect them. Jonah knows that I get sad/mad/scared/grumpy/upset for no reason. He knows that I have medicine to help. And he knows that I'm trying to manage it better, to be a nicer, more patient, happier, calmer mom for him and Micki. He knows I love them.
    Often I avoid going out, and social situations, or I avoid taking the kids places because I stress so much about their behaviour. I know that they are generally well behaved, but one trick mental illness likes to play is telling me that people think I'm a bad mother.
    I'm not looking for reassurance or sympathy, just some understanding, and maybe a little less stigma
    #bellletstalkday/spoiler]
    Anxiety ... or in my world Fred. Yes. I have named my anxiety. Mainly because it’s easier to say “Fred’s a dick” then it is to say “I’m having a panic attack” or “I’m feeling really anxious” and I can’t help but think a large part of that is the stigma around all mental health.

I don’t often talk about my struggles and 9 times out of 10 you’ll see the bubbly, happy, cheery, smiling Kaitlyn that you all know and maybe even love. Sometimes I’m fighting an extreme internal battle to keep that smile on my face, sometimes I’m truly just that happy, but sometimes I can’t even fake the smile...

Those days really suck... days where I can’t leave my apartment without getting physically sick from a mental sickness. Days where I can’t enjoy my morning because I’m too busy convincing myself to breathe. Days where I try to talk myself out of a racing heart ... while usually only making it worse. There are even days when I just cry and have seemingly no control over the flood gates.

At the end of these days I’m left with this thought: “What do people think of me?” Why?! Why should it matter what anyone else thinks of me. I’m trying my hardest to push through every. single. day.

Some days Fred wins.
    Most days I win.

I will no longer apologize for how I choose to handle these days, because that is a part of the problem.

The stigma on mental health has got to go .. “she’s just lazy” “it’s little girl problems” “grow up” “it’s all in your head” “we are all anxious sometimes” are only a few things I’ve heard said to others and have even heard some myself.

So just stop.
    Stop telling people it’s in their head (FYI: WE ALREADY KNOW THAT... that’s why it’s called mental health)
    Stop making people feel bad over things they have no control over.
    Stop assuming the struggles they have are insignificant.
    Stop judging people for an illness you can’t see.

Please. Just stop. And instead maybe you could use that time to ask if someone is okay. Ask if there is anything you can do. Ask how they’re doing. Ask what’s on their mind. Ask about something ridiculous to maybe distract them and bring a smile. Just check in!

Check in on your strong friends too. Sometimes the suffer is silent and even if they aren’t ready or willing to share their story, they may just need a friend. So reach out to your people today and next week, and next month, and next year. Don’t stop checking in. Don’t stop loving. Don’t stop being a support they may have not even known they needed.

*Edit - this is not something I’m normally super vocal about so if you made it to the bottom of this .. thanks!

#BellLetsTalk

I had missed seeing this .... what a beautiful post. Insight is the most important thing about mental illness ... you should be so very proud of your daughters. My daughter does not have insight, and that makes it even harder to help her. She know she has social anxiety and depression, but everything else she does not accept (my daughter also has very distorted thinking). Hugs to you ... what a great mommy you are to raise such thoughtful, beautiful girls. I so agree... the stigma has got to go. There are so few people I can talk to about our daughter ... they just do not understand.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    @Elbee1 Did you print out copies to post all over?
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,219 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Elbee1 wrote: »

Thank you for posting this. I know this but wish I could keep it on my mind at all times. I will try to remember to print out a couple copies of it when I get home from work. I'm such an emotional eater. I eat carelessly when I'm happy about something, when I'm sad, mad and/or stressed. It's ridiculous & I know it. But it's like a temporary insanity that happens over & over again for years. I know better but haven't been able to stop it. Seeing it laid out like that is fantastic!

Someone please help my brain remember to print this out. I may put it on my wall at work & by my computer at home. Or maybe even hang it on my kitchen wall and/or TV and dashboard of car. I know it may seem like overdoing it, but I think that I need it. Spelled out- front & center. Please hold me to this y'all.

Thanks so much!!!

I have the same problem with emotional eating ... and I posted one of these in my office, which is where I usually do my "private" eating... no one sees me in there. It is a very hard habit to break ... but we can do it! We'll hold each other accountable!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hope and pray the folks in the cold country have soups, veggies, and fruit for the weekend! And for all of those who have had such a trying week, I pray you will be find rest and peace and a time to rejuvenate.
    k7lhriibh466.png

Peace and joy
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Goals for February 1st: fresh month, fresh start!

-Go for a run, at least 2.5 miles
    -Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Reset the system
    -Remember doctors appointment
    -Journal, get thoughts out of my head
    -Make a meal plan for the week, stick to the days plans
    -Go to bed when tired instead of staying up with bf
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thursday January 31st

Accurately log :) Had to catch up on the water logging!
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Stay below maintenance calories :) missing my extra treats that came when I reached maintenance - I was strong willed and ignored the chocolate that was calling me. I want to wait until I get back to my maintenance weight otherwise I know I will be on a slippery slope.
    January water challenge :) I need to take this into February as its still hard to remember to drink and log!
    Fitbit excercise goals :)

Can't believe it's February tomorrow then it's the weekend - love the picture from @toaljasa about being able to smell the weekend.
  • ZizzyBumble
    Options
    Trying my best not to give in to emotional eating. Tomorrow will be a week since my dad died.... how can a week have passed! So exhausted with all the planning/arrangements for the funeral but need to stay strong. Just need a rest....

JFT
    Do tax return ... it’s going to be late
    Choose last pieces of funeral music
    Tidy house
    Book train ticket
    Laundry and ironing

Take care of yourself, wishing you well at this demanding time.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Trying my best not to give in to emotional eating. Tomorrow will be a week since my dad died.... how can a week have passed! So exhausted with all the planning/arrangements for the funeral but need to stay strong. Just need a rest....

Condolences on your father - wishing you well.

• maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Today went well. We began our day in the tweens... Lol…... BRRRR
    I only have 134 pages to go and I would have completed my first "read" of this year.
    And I have logged in 155 days... 155 days of accountability and determination.
    I hope a hundred pounds were gone by now... LMBO!!! Nevertheless, I can say I may
    not be where I want to be in weight YET!, but I'm better than I have been, and I am on my way
    towards better, and I'm happy to do so. I WANT TOMORROW TO BE BETTER THAN TODAY🎈🎇🎈

JFT THURSDAY
    WAKE UP EARLY... SAY A PRAYER😁
    Exercised 😁
    FRESHEN UP/GET DRESSED😁
    TAKE MEDS AND DRINK V-8 ENERGY😁
    WALK GIRLS TO BUS STOP AT 7:50 a.m.😁
    Back home after 8..... 8:30😁
    Read/Write/Stamps/Mail 😑
    !Hair and Nails
    Laundry to finish😁
    Soup for lunch.... Had a surprise, high calorie Bojangles two piece meal. Niece bought lunch home.😁

Took a nap at 1:30 p.m.
    Read a chapter.
    Watching Hallmark Channel at 5:30p.m.😁
    Soundscapes and bed by 10p.m.
  • frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @cory17 and @ZizzyBumble thank you for your kindness ❤️❤️❤️

@maryrobinson40 keep hanging in there.,we are on our way to better !😉xx
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,092 Member
    Options
    Not had the best day food wise but miraculously in the green? Ill take that!

So tired though. Id love to catch up on some sleep. Glad its friday tomorrow. One more day of school runs! Not that ill get a lie in on the weekend though. Meh
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,428 Member
    Options
    Got my second HIIT session in after work, and a short (for me) mini-trampoline jogging session in before supper - unexpectedly needed to head over to my BFF's house (she had heart valve replacement operation end of November - overall recovering well, but still needs help with things, and no one was home to heat up some soup for her supper ... so all other evening plans scrapped.

And I made the Winner's Circle in my Ultimate Accountability Challenge - only 2 pass days used in January.

I MAY have to use my first (planned since NOVEMBER) February Pass on Feb 1 ... going straight from the office to a restaurant to a live community theater musical (Beauty and the Beast). I can probably get the requisite 20 minutes exercise in (as I now do 10 minutes every morning) but not quite sure how the eating is going to pan out .... restaurant dinners on workdays are harder to work around while still eating SOMETHING during the day so you aren't ready to just eat the table when you arrive ..... but you can't fit extra exercise calorie burns in earlier in the day either.

Stay tuned.

We are now out of January, and on to a new month.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :smile:
    - Be in the green :smile:
    - 4 bottles water :smile:
    - No alcohol :smile:
    - Exercise DVD :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :smile:
    - Savour every bite :smile:
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :neutral:
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :neutral: Didn't come up
    - Give myself credit! :neutral:

- 30+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :smile:
    - Beck diet solution :smile:
    - Call boyfriend by 10pm latest :smile:
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :/ I was naughty and stayed up playing with the internet/ reading. Am badly behaved when boyfriend isn't here!

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3+ bottles water

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Leave work by 5.30pm
    - Beck diet solution
    - Gratitude journal

Weekly calorie balance: 1144 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation
  • ZizzyBumble
    Options
    Friday 1 February

Log accurately
    Eat below maintenance
    5 fruit and veg
    Continue water challenge
    Fitbit excercise goals
    February work plan
  • awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    JFT Thursday
    1. Log all food and stay in the green👎 I did stay in the green but didn’t actually log any of my food past breakfast
    2. Meditate twice 👍
    3. Go to gym👍

JFT Friday!
    1. Spin class
    2. Log all food
    3. Drink 150oz water
    4. Only one drink at happy hour