WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I finally got to exercising! And I feel good! I have been reading this book called Just One Thing and came across a statement that has really impacted me: What is in my best interests? OK that's obvious, but I bet many of us ignore that bit of wisdom. All my self-help books, all my 12-step meetings, all my meditating and working through everything comes down to that one phrase. And I have started to use it.

I had been making lists each day with chores on top and ME stuff next and found I never did the ME stuff. So now I am writing the lists the other way around, with ME on top. Let's see how it works. It's become a mantra for me.

Laura from Bedford: welcome to the group!

Katla: I usually open a word document and as I read, I type responses then copy and paste it here.

Well tomorrow is the first day of class for the new cohort. This week is all 8-10 hour days teaching but it's fun to see them so new and fresh.

Take care all. Meg from foggy (or something) Omaha where it just looked odd all day.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2018 was to get a new job, which I started in August. I had focused more on doing for my husband than me last year, he was in the hospital a lot! Now that he is doing better, it is time to focus on me again, so here's to some weight loss in 2019! I started on Christmas with my weight lifting and workouts again, already have meal prep on Sundays down to a science. We have a full day of doctor appointments tomorrow and I have lunches and snacks packed for not only tomorrow, but breakfast and lunches ready for the week! I like the word of the year......think mine should be happiness!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Cuddle Up Day!

"... there are multiple benefits to cuddling with human or canine or other pet. Cuddling releases oxytocin. Besides giving us warm and fuzzy feelings, oxytocin reduces pain. So when the cold has made those muscles and joints ache, cuddling can help reduce those aches and pains. Oxytocin also helps reduce heart disease, reduces blood pressure, stress and anxiety. If it weren’t free, cuddling would probably be covered by health insurance it’s such a huge health benefit!"

I'm so far behind. Here goes:

drkatiebug - Sixty-five years of cherries, beautiful! Mom tried hard to make it their fiftieth anniversary but cancer had other plans. Still, they were each other's one and only for forty-eight years. It just broke Dad when she died.

Bonnie - I know, right? Just the thought of drinking pickle juice makes my salivary glands pucker. My brother and his family really like pickles though, so I guess it's not so bad for them. Yuck. Hope your schnauzer's forever home is wonderful - we've been foster parents for a long time and I know it's hard to let them go sometimes, but it helps when you know it's a happy ending! My latest greyhound landed in a home where he is ridiculously spoiled and pampered... every time his new mom posts a photo to Facebook I get warm fuzzies.

Michele - We have a key lime tree and a satsuma tree, both in containers. (Our bay laurel is also container-grown.) It gets too cold here for all of them in the winter - not for long, but enough that we are forever having to move them around, cover and uncover, etc. I'll be glad to have them in a greenhouse where they can live for good! I'm hoping to start a ponderosa lemon tree from the tree in my sister's front yard once I have a stable place for it.

Janet - I adore cherries but when it comes to chocolate-covered ones I think they're a waste of both chocolate and cherries. I'd rather have fresh cherries.

Rebecca - Your sunroom looks nice and bright with its roof and windows clean!

panderson - What a terrible string of losses - I'm so sorry! Welcome back, and just remember grief doesn't have an end date. You are very strong to be moving forward with your life.

Kelly - I'm glad you enjoy the special days! I often pick the most ridiculous ones I can find, just for fun.

Laura - Cassie is a beautiful girl!

Penny - Thank you for sharing the story about the rescue of the Northguider crew!

Tried to donate blood yesterday but got turned away for low hematocrit (again!) even though I'm on an iron supplement and I had a steak dinner the night before. So I'll hold off for a week and work on bumping up my nutritional sources as well as cutting out any foods that can block iron absorption. This has been an ongoing issue for awhile. It's a big waste of time to go there, get signed in, and get all the way through the check-in interview then get turned away, so I want to get to the bottom of it!

I just got back from a long walk with Luna, and dinner is already taken care of since I turned the leftover Christmas turkey into gumbo yesterday. Mom's recipe - it is the ultimate comfort food for me, so I guess it's a good thing that its nutritional stats aren't too bad.

Philip is working today so I'm going to treat myself to a cuddle-up on the the sofa with the dog, cats, and/or even the parrots if they'll let me.

Get yourself cuddled!

-Yvonne in TX
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Pip: I love all kinds of dancing, (including ice dance, which I did until a ski injury made it too painful to skate) but the Group we go to is for ballroom dancing. It's on Thursday morning twice monthly,

☘️ IRISH Terri☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    2manyhats wrote: »
    My goal for 2018 was to get a new job, which I started in August. I had focused more on doing for my husband than me last year, he was in the hospital a lot! Now that he is doing better, it is time to focus on me again, so here's to some weight loss in 2019! I started on Christmas with my weight lifting and workouts again, already have meal prep on Sundays down to a science. We have a full day of doctor appointments tomorrow and I have lunches and snacks packed for not only tomorrow, but breakfast and lunches ready for the week! I like the word of the year......think mine should be happiness!

:) Welcome, this is a great place to get the support and encouragement you need for continued weight loss. My husband has many health issues and I've had to work hard to find the right balance between care for him and care for me. Coming back to this thread every day has been helpful for me.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW WA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Popping on again today to read a bit and answer a bit, while Trentin is busy playing.
    Heather- Joaquin IS becoming bilingual; possibly tri-lingual. Lauren speaks to him only in French. His daddy speaks to him in english and spanish. Then he hears english in school. Right now, the majority of his words are coming out French. He understands commands in all three languages, though. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out! Babies brains are AMAZING!
    Suebdew- His hair! I know! I cried many tears last night when she showed me. It will grow back; but I spent some time convincing her that he might sit still for a stylist. (She thinks he won't because she uses the same "tricks" that they do) It will grow back. (I keep repeating that to myself).

Hello Diane in Lowell, MI- We are practically neighbors! I am over here, in Grand Haven! (*waving excitedly*) I grew up in Grand Rapids. This is a great group of women! Please come often, join in when you feel the urge, log daily and be kind to yourself! Welcome!

For those who asked: Trentin doesn't spend the night here, nor does he go to sleep (which is a bit frustrating). If he is here until 11:30, I do have him lay down on the couch at 9:30. He has a blanket and pillow here and I let him watch a movie until his mom picks him up. He has fallen asleep a couple of times, but his mom doesn't like it when he does, because then he is up until 3 or 4 in the morning. He has ADHD, but gets good grades in school. I am sure the ADHD keeps his sleep needs on the low side.

Well, I better log off and start getting Trentin to wind down. I let him raid my craft cupboard and he has made claws out of old gloves and popsicle sticks so he can be Wolverine! lol boys! ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Kylia GLAD - Grateful Learned Achieved Delighted - I like that. I've not done a gratitude journal, but that mnemonic would make it simple to get started. Changing it up a bit for this morning, I am Grateful that I Learned about little Aubrey, and Delight in her Achievement of making it through the first few days of life after a precarious start. <3

Penny No!!!...I believe I speak for the group when I say we hang on every word you write. Your posts are such a treat. I want to hear about EVERYTHING you do (well...almost everything). You are the antithesis of boastful. I so enjoy the generous glimpses into your fascinating life.

Machka 8 pm-12 MN in Tasmania is 4 am-8 am on the East coast. Just sayin'... :D:D:D

Lisa Brilliant. A drafting table. Yes! I hope it works for you.

@dauchsmom Is your non-alcoholic cirrhosis caused by fatty liver? I am guessing it is. People don't realize how dangerous fatty liver is. Sounds like you are managing well.
    Are you looking for all kinds of retro recipes?

Allie Good luck with new boss man.

Pip Boring? :D:D:D

Barbara AHMOD I love that you brought up the procrastinating thing. My word for the year is Serenity, but my action goal for the year has to do with conquering procrastination. I am procrastinating about pinning it down exactly.

Blood Types Rori broached the subject...with the discussion about blood types, may I just put in a plug for the Red Cross and encourage everyone who is able, to donate blood?
    Save a life...and find out your blood type for free! <3

Karen in Virginia, ABO/Rh (blood type) O-

Free blood type, free anemia check, free arrhythmia screening and so much more! Not to mention very pleasant chat and free coffee, tea or juice, including lower calorie and sugar options. Puget Sound Bloid Center is amazing.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- I thought you were eating a keto diet? I must be thinking of someone else. I was going to share some websites but I don't know who that was.

<3 Mary from Arizona
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Sue - it was our Cathy who posted the original sign-up link for the Real Skinny on Fat. Here's another one -

http://www.therealskinnyonfat.com/optin/?fbclid=IwAR0ILJ5f__qe8YbKXsGMcehl2qYCnF-ebvO6hnDpcCKIRc-NUu9j0-UlIsY

It starts January 15th.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • trucker743
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Penny & Pip: What are the chances that the two of you are actually sisters? Seems plausible. :wink: :devil: At the very least, you seem to be sisters of the heart. :heart:

Carol in GA: It sounds as though you have a serious worry regarding your DBIL. Good luck to you & your DH. Is he close enough to drop in on him a couple of times a week? Do you think he needs to be in an assisted living facility? :cry:

Clowe1028: Thanks for posting the link to the real skinny on fat. I watched this series before and would love to see it again. :smiley:

Cathy in Arlington: Are any of you watching the Outlander Series on Starz? I bought the books as they came out and have read them all, some of them more than once. I am so impressed with the TV production. They’ve done a stellar job so far.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I love all her books and the series as well. She has such a great ear for dialogue and wonderful insight into social nuances. And her research skills are second to none! I enjoy the audio books particularly. Davina Porter (?) Is a terrific voice actress.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lanette, I signed up for the series.
    Mary, I would like some info regarding eating Keto.
  • trucker743
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My grandmother passed away last night. This is her ...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157705319874975

And my grandfather, way back when ...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157624449430564

Machka in Oz

She and her husband seem to be healthy fulfilled.people. I'm happy you had her with you so long.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Happy National Cuddle Up Day!

"... there are multiple benefits to cuddling with human or canine or other pet. Cuddling releases oxytocin. Besides giving us warm and fuzzy feelings, oxytocin reduces pain. So when the cold has made those muscles and joints ache, cuddling can help reduce those aches and pains. Oxytocin also helps reduce heart disease, reduces blood pressure, stress and anxiety. If it weren’t free, cuddling would probably be covered by health insurance it’s such a huge health benefit!"

I'm so far behind. Here goes:

drkatiebug - Sixty-five years of cherries, beautiful! Mom tried hard to make it their fiftieth anniversary but cancer had other plans. Still, they were each other's one and only for forty-eight years. It just broke Dad when she died.

Bonnie - I know, right? Just the thought of drinking pickle juice makes my salivary glands pucker. My brother and his family really like pickles though, so I guess it's not so bad for them. Yuck. Hope your schnauzer's forever home is wonderful - we've been foster parents for a long time and I know it's hard to let them go sometimes, but it helps when you know it's a happy ending! My latest greyhound landed in a home where he is ridiculously spoiled and pampered... every time his new mom posts a photo to Facebook I get warm fuzzies.

Michele - We have a key lime tree and a satsuma tree, both in containers. (Our bay laurel is also container-grown.) It gets too cold here for all of them in the winter - not for long, but enough that we are forever having to move them around, cover and uncover, etc. I'll be glad to have them in a greenhouse where they can live for good! I'm hoping to start a ponderosa lemon tree from the tree in my sister's front yard once I have a stable place for it.

Janet - I adore cherries but when it comes to chocolate-covered ones I think they're a waste of both chocolate and cherries. I'd rather have fresh cherries.

Rebecca - Your sunroom looks nice and bright with its roof and windows clean!

panderson - What a terrible string of losses - I'm so sorry! Welcome back, and just remember grief doesn't have an end date. You are very strong to be moving forward with your life.

Kelly - I'm glad you enjoy the special days! I often pick the most ridiculous ones I can find, just for fun.

Laura - Cassie is a beautiful girl!

Penny - Thank you for sharing the story about the rescue of the Northguider crew!

Tried to donate blood yesterday but got turned away for low hematocrit (again!) even though I'm on an iron supplement and I had a steak dinner the night before. So I'll hold off for a week and work on bumping up my nutritional sources as well as cutting out any foods that can block iron absorption. This has been an ongoing issue for awhile. It's a big waste of time to go there, get signed in, and get all the way through the check-in interview then get turned away, so I want to get to the bottom of it!

I just got back from a long walk with Luna, and dinner is already taken care of since I turned the leftover Christmas turkey into gumbo yesterday. Mom's recipe - it is the ultimate comfort food for me, so I guess it's a good thing that its nutritional stats aren't too bad.

Philip is working today so I'm going to treat myself to a cuddle-up on the the sofa with the dog, cats, and/or even the parrots if they'll let me.

Get yourself cuddled!

-Yvonne in TX

A blood nurse told me once that you should start eating more mindful (iron wise), about a week before you're due to donate. I always thought, oh a bunch of spinach the night before is good enough, but nope!
    💗Rebecca