WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Unseen ice has been the factor thst caused me to fall, and I broke both of my wrists in separate falls a couple of years apart. I no longer go out walking in snow or icy conditions. I am lucky to have found a sports club where I take yoga classes & burn calories riding an exercise bike. Exercise is no longer impacted by icy weather. Bone scans showed thinning bones. Bone density tests since then have shown greater bone density. I know the improvement is due to alondrate, yoga and other weight bearing exercise.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    For the last two days we have had beautiful Springlike weather in Georgia. Loving the sun shine and temps in the 60's. It will go back to the 30's by Wed or Thurs according to the weather reports.

Keto sounds very interesting! I try to do low carbs (except for my evening wine :'( ) but find that my body wants just a little bit of carbs to make me feel satisfied and healthy!

Carol in GA
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just finished my walk. At 84 degrees I should have worn short sleeves vs long.

As I was walking I thought of a few more points to add about the keto diet. The 20 carb limit is strict keto and for those that want to address other health issues. You can gain the benefits of being of being in ketosis such as no cravings or hunger on higher carbs 50 - 80. It just depends on the individual.

Cathy in Arlington, TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Cathy - thank you for that Keto link and information. You have been an inspiration to many in this group! I think the new folks (and some of us old ones) would be impressed with your "before" and "after" photos if you'd wish to share them again sometime.

Machka
    - I'm so glad your DH's reunion with his son went well. My DH also has a son from a teen-age relationship that he lost contact with for decades. I've never met him, DH never talked about him until they found each other several years ago via Facebook. The "kid" (now 55) wants to come see his dad and I'm stressing a little since he lives on the east coast, has never flown, doesn't drive - or hadn't last I knew (maybe DUI? I didn't ask). Closest airport is 100 miles from us, neither DH or I drive long distances anymore especially in heavy traffic and DH refuses to leave the house except for medical appointments and even then, he gets very anxious and confused when driving in new places. And DH's health problems make him super tired, he wears out very quickly, sleeps 16 to 18 hours a day, craves peace and quiet. We no longer have a guest room so I'd end up bunking on the edge of the uncomfortable bed he sleeps in. When DH talked to him via phone over Christmas and said he wanted to come out, I reminded him that visitors here for more than a day or two are extremely hard on both of us, and he agreed. So we'll see what comes of it.

If it's meant to be, it will work out and I need to park my control-freak tendencies outside.

I think it would be great for them to spend a few hours getting reacquainted. I've suggested to DH that he might be able to Skype but not sure if his son has that capability at his end. And there's something about touching and standing next to a person you've wondered about! Anyhow, I'm really starting to wonder what's up with the teleporter because he could use it now, lol. B)

I am so impressed with you gals off to a good start with your weight loss plans, Keto and 19:5 and similar Intermittent fasting. It's neat that we all have different things that work for us, for various reasons. That Real Skinny on Fat series presented differing strategies, as I recall, some that appeared in conflict with others. But I was able to then do further research on plans that interested me and devised one that was suited to my goals.

I'm happy to report 3 pounds gone since January 2nd and that's after getting into the salty and sugary snacks last night which took me up to maintenance level calories of around 2100. I've been doing the low-sugar, 1450 calorie, 13-14 hr fasting. Around 80 net carbs. I'm within 3# of where I was last summer and where I think is best for me - like Heather, much lower and I worry about looking "scraggy". I like my BMI around 23.5 to 24.

I'm about 10 pounds over where my upper limit was 20 years ago, but I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a little "hospital weight" lol (if I have a health event where I can't eat for several days) plus a bit of fat is good for our bones as many of us have mentioned over the past year.

So today I'm not even very hungry yet- will have my first meal at noon (16 hr fast except for maybe a total of 1/4 cup of milk total in my several cups of coffee so far) and am looking at around 800 calories for the day if I'm a good girl. <3

Have a good day ladies!
    Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State (where it was icy like at Barbie's this morning. Street was OK so thankfully no slipping when I walked this morning.)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    <3 Margaret...I've been thinking about Gloria a lot over the holidays for some reason.
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Bobblehead Day!

"Bobbleheads have been around for over 100 years and are found in different shapes and sizes. However, none are more popular than those that depict athletes, professional sports teams, mascots, cartoon characters, and celebrities." Philip and I once had an ancient, lumbering motor home with a dashboard you could curl up and sleep on. We covered that whole dash with bobbleheads.

Diane - Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you through your posts!

Bonnie - Cheers to you for giving Ollie a good place to regroup and for not "failing Fostering 101!" Simba - the one who just went out in November - was our 54th foster greyhound, and I can tell you that after all this time I still get a bit of a pang when it's time for one of them to leave us.

Kelly - Sounds like you have your hands full with Trentin! I love the idea of homemade Wolverine claws.

Felicia - That's some pretty hard-core spelunking there. What an adventure!

Rebecca - It's just frustrating to still be turned away when I've been on an iron supplement for months now. Makes me grumpy! The mini-lasagna looks delicious.

Machka - I don't like to exercise but I'm the same way... if sitting on the stationary bike or taking a nice long walk with the dog lets me eat a few more calories I'm all in. Probably the biggest single thing logging on MFP has done for me is to make the connection between exercise and calories in crystal clear.

Elizabeth - Your restarting the year reminded me of a year when my then-husband and I and most of our friends all had the flu on New Year's Eve. A week or two later we celebrated a "new new year," complete with bayberry candles and black-eyed peas. It was fun, and at least it gave us a sense of starting the new year off right.

Philip and I are leaving for the beach with our new travel trailer on Thursday. I'm ridiculously excited even though the forecast calls for rain the whole time we'll be gone. It's been way too long since we had any beach time.

-Yvonne in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    <3 Margaret...I've been thinking about Gloria a lot over the holidays for some reason.

Gloria is the friend we lost due to an accident.
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Karen in VA ~ Love those pics of your step daughter and the children. Olivia looks so happy!

Rebecca ~ Very, very colorful. Somewhere I read that in 2019 the colors should be neon and bright plaids.

Carol in GA
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Cathy ~ Amazing....Such a transformation. I am so glad the Keto plan has worked for you.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Cathy ... than you for sharing! It is evident that Keto was the right plan for you. You look fantastic!!
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR - This is when my "alternative" underwear is such a godsend! I keep a pkg on hand for this days. They're SO much better now! And aloe cleansing tissues! Sigh of relief.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @lhscapil, well, Lanette, they are bringing Ollie back tonight. They said it just isn't going to work because he is so much larger than their dog and the two were not really bonding. She called this morning and I thought she would give it a few days to see but then just called and wants to bring him back now. She is very sorry and I hold no judgment toward her at all. I just want Ollie to be with a family who will give him the best life and I guess it's not them. I have to admit, I'm not really sad about this. He is such a special pup!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    @lhscapil, well, Lanette, they are bringing Ollie back tonight. They said it just isn't going to work because he is so much larger than their dog and the two were not really bonding. She called this morning and I thought she would give it a few days to see but then just called and wants to bring him back now. She is very sorry and I hold no judgment toward her at all. I just want Ollie to be with a family who will give him the best life and I guess it's not them. I have to admit, I'm not really sad about this. He is such a special pup!

Bonnie, how big is he? I know mini's can get quite large. Rosie is at around 12-13 lbs and could lose a pound. Her older pal here, Sophie, is around 17 - she's a schnoodle with longer legs.

It's not surprising that the dogs aren't bonding immediately. Sophie was quite ticked when Rosie entered her formerly quiet home, now they are good buddies as long as Sophie gets some alone time with us in the morning while Rosie sleeps in.

Ollie sounds like such a great little guy. Is there a reason you wouldn't adopt him yourself?

Oh, and what state do you live in? Folks are always looking for schnauzers but I know you'd want to meet the family who is getting him.

Lanette
    SW WA State