WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Katla - they had a gluten free haggis in my posh supermarket! Never seen that before.

Don’t know why I ever roasted chicken! This is the second time I've boiled it in the IP and it is delicious! Plenty of fab stock which I reboiled with the skin and bones. Lots of lovely moist meat. I just put onion, carrot and celery in the water.

The dentist has already cancelled our appointments twice because they could not get their new dentist registered. :*;) They got a locum and we were due to see her tomorrow. (DH cancelled, but I was still on) This afternoon they rang to say the dental assistant has had a freak accident and broken her arm! So no appointment tomorrow! They have a substitute organised for Friday, so I'm going then. It's only a check up, so it won't interfere with Burns Night. That is the easiest party of the year! The haggis just warms in the oven. I will make the mashed neeps and tatties the day before, so there's really only the whisky sauce to do. I will set fire to the whisky to burn off the alcohol for my son, even though it isn't a lot. I've got a delicious, stinky Epoisses cheese for after. Starter will be rolls of smoked salmon and faux caviar.
    Wish DH was feeling better, but I think he's coughing less.

Love Heather UK

Almost every meal you describe sounds delicious to me...except this one...LOL!!!

I think traditional haggis is always gluten free, isn't it?

Karen in Virginia

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Getting over the flu today. This is a much milder version than when I was sick with the Swine Flu. When I had that that was one of the sickest I have ever been. My temp went up to 105. I learned when I was sick with that not to take aspirin with a high fever. I always keep ibuprofen on hand for that reason. Even as an adult taking aspirin with such a high fever can cause Reye's syndrome.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Got called into work today...Allison office manager took a mental health day ,our new boss is just degrading her and being mean..our old boss new he was leaving when he hired her fir a larger salary and Dr Pandey doesn't want to pay her that ,Dr Ho didn't care..she is supporting 3 kids and her mom on her salary..and she found out he has posted her job online.. we are all livid....poor thing..we just love her.and she does a great job ,but he is ruthless..
    So I had to work today instead of having today off..so I'm taking tomorrow off .have errands to run.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,926 Member
    Options
    :)Rita, no cooking in the RV? What about a life of PBJ and cold cereal with milk?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We have vinyl flooring in our bathroom.
    We have a scale with little rubber feet.
    We've got yellow spots on the vinyl flooring where the rubber feet of the scale have touched.

We did not know that there's a chemical reaction between between vinyl and rubber which causes yellow spots!!
    http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-yellowing-from-vinyl-flooring/

Now I'm trying some of those methods to remove it.

It's all about Googling these days. :)

Machka in Oz

Well so far ... this has not worked.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Cari - they make those types of shoes for people like me!
    ynxkl2kl1m2c.jpeg

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Torture devices!

I’m guessing these are a no go too :wink:
    s1r4z279gpfn.jpeg

Okie

Yep ... my arthritic joints cringe just looking at that.

The good news, however, is that they still had the red shoes in my size so I picked up a pair. They're like the black pair I posted ... only red. :)

I used to own a pair of red loafers, with a bit of a heel, in about the same colour red ... and I wore them a lot. So much so, that I wore them out.

In the last decade or so, I've mostly bought black shoes, with the occasional pair in a brown or pewter. But there have been several times I've thought that red shoes would work well with an outfit. So now I've got a pair. :)

4ncx0q7trmg1.png

M in Oz

I'm wearing them today at work! :) So far, so good!

• Machka9
    Options
    I put it all away when I decided about 10 years ago that I needed to be more active. So those things were replaced with swimming, biking, and running. Recently I decided I wanted to start doing some of those crafty things again. The problem has been finding time to work that in along with keeping up the exercise/work/home life/etc. One of the reasons I’m looking forward to retiring (even though I’m still about 8 years away), I’ll have more time to fit everything in.

Janet in eastern MO, waiting for the next snowstorm
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Janet in SW MO - " One of the reasons I’m looking forward to retiring (even though I’m still about 8 years away), I’ll have more time to fit everything in.". Oh my! I have to laugh. I wonder sometimes how I found time to work! Of course at 75, I've slowed down a lot. I DO miss the reckless energy I had two decades ago, though. "800 mile Motorcycle ride on a 3-day off? Sure! Let's strap the gear on the bikes and GO!" ""A bunch of teenagers for a surprise birthday party? Sure! I'll run to the store and grab a cake and ice cream. Not enough bowls? We'll use mugs too. Clean-up? Oh. Yeah. Maybe tomorrow mirning, or could you please? Thanks sweetie!"

Don't worry, but implement some little things that please you now, if possible.

Sharon Near Seattle (One of the few places it's not snowing and blasting wind!

I'm probably about 18 - 19 years away from retirement (retirement age will be at least 70 by the time I get there), so I'm trying to fit as much as I can in now, but it is about priorities.

Work, of course.
    University ... so that as time goes on my workload might be easier?? Maybe.
    Travel ... because it's something I love.
    Exercise ... because cycling is my life, and I just generally like being active. BTW - I'm really, really missing all the cycling I used to do.
    Photography & Reading ... for when I want a quiet break.

And then I throw in some of the other stuff I like doing now and then. Baking is one of the things I like doing, but it has to be a "now and then" thing because neither of us need baked goods on a regular basis.

I still think I need a secretary. I have asked around a bit, but so far I've discovered you've got to be a business to hire someone as a secretary through one of the employment agencies. While there are "handyman" services who will come out and do odd jobs around the place ... like building a fence or fixing roof damage from a storm, etc. etc. ... and there are lawn and garden services (we use one of those) ... and there are moving services (we've done that too) ... and there are housecleaning services (we've had our carpets professionally cleaned) ... and there are home care services to look after a loved one (which we've been using for several months now) ... but there don't appear to be secretarial services. It's odd.

Machka in Oz

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    KetoneKaren!, your grandson is priceless, as are you! He nailed it, and i, for one, admire his logic.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Walked on the treadmill for an hour today, ½ hr backwards and ½ hr forward. The plan for tomorrow is to do Bob Harper’s Ultimate Cardio Body DVD. We are supposed to have a Newcomer board meeting, but the president now is saying that she might cancel it because of ice. Personally, Vince mentioned this to her and he’s usually an alarmist. Well, we shall see what happens.

Suebdew – you know, sometimes I feel invisible, too. But then someone will post something relating to a post of mine, and I know that people just aren’t responding because of time or not having something to say or whatever the reason may be. I have been following your “sugar free” journey. I have to hand it to you. I haven’t been using much salt at all lately. Last night we went to Ruby Tuesday for dinner since there was a power failure (so couldn’t use the stove or microwave) and to me the fish was REALLY salty. Had the blackened tilapia. If I’d known it was going to be so salty, I would have asked for the tilapia without any spices. I’m thinking that salt was one of the spices. The cook had a very heavy hand with the salt shaker. I tried 2 of Vince’s french fries, and, boy, were they salty. I don’t know how Vince ate them!

Barbie – we have a battery powered lantern, too. But I just was afraid that there wouldn’t be enough light in case I dropped a stitch or something. Yes, losing power IS frustrating. We don’t realize what we have until it’s gone.

Karen in VA – I gave Denise an IP for Christmas. Personally, I’m looking forward to making yogurt in it. What kind of thermometer do you need? A meat thermometer would be my guess. I’m sure she doesn’t have one so that’s something I’d need to bring. Is there anything else that I’d need to bring?

Janet in MO – “retirement…more time to fit things in????” Years ago my FIL said about retirement “I don’t know where I found the time to work”. Now I totally understand what he meant!!! Totally. Thank god for calendars!

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.47min, 12.3amph, 136mhr, 1.5mi= 73c
    0 RUNNER- 30min, 128ahr, 117mhr, 9.40min mi, lvl8, 15h, 98c, 15l, 5.23mi= 179c
    SKI MACHINE- 10min, 80stpm, 131mhrahr, 15-40resist, incl15, .32mi= 71c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.45min, 134mhr, 15.4amph, 1.4mi= 53c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station, detour- 17.51min, 11.1amph, 141mhr, 3.2mi= 159c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.56.min, 9.28min mi, 146mhr, .5mi= 63c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.56min, 9.28min mi, 147mhr, .4mii= 71c
    bike ride dome 2 hmi and pick up spilled birdseed- 21.04min, 7.4amph, 146mhr, 2.6mi= 242c

total cal 911
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Answer Your Cat's Questions Day!

"If you’re a cat person, you’ll no doubt wonder what your cat is thinking from time to time. What unsolved mysteries does your tabby ponder, hmm? Answer Your Cat’s Questions Day is a chance to find out, and to answer some of the big questions. Take some time and attempt to work out what questions your cat is asking, and make a concerted effort to fill in the blanks." My elderly gentleman cat ponders some questions, but the only question the younger cat asks is "When do we eat?"

Janet, Katie, Karen - Thank you for sharing the MLK quotes! I really enjoyed them.

Michele - Thank you for the chocolate bran muffin recipe. I'm going to try that for sure!

Barbara - Oh, the golden puppies sure made me smile!

My day got all discombobulated. I had a light work load so I took my time doing errands downtown on foot, then indulged in an Americano outside the coffee shop. A crew was filming for an episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" in our small town today, so I sat and watched the doings for a little while. Didn't see anything interesting, though.

That was all well and good, but as I got home and sat down at my desk to start doing some work I got a reminder email from a friend about an appointment I had this afternoon. I hadn't gotten the one-day reminder I set up for myself because the phone was out of commission. Fortunately I managed to cram all of my paying work into a very short window then dash off again.

The women's chorus I sing with is working on a "herstory" video and they wanted to interview a bunch of us old-timers. Was really nervous, but it wasn't so bad. It was fun remember the days when we were a tiny group of 15 women or so... the chorus recently celebrated its 30 anniversary and I think the head count is nearly 100 singers.

Now it's time to go ask Phineas the Maine Coon Cat if he has any questions for me tonight.

Love your critters!

-Yvonne in TX
  • trucker743
    Options
    NY Karen, are you using full fat, 2%, 1%, or non-fat? I'd really like to do it with non-fat and strain it to make it thicker, like Greek yogurt. Does anything about the basic recipe change re fat content, like times or temperatures?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Suebdew - I am sure that restaurants make food very salty so that you get thirsty and order more drinks which increases their profits. I’d love to limit my carbs, but the problem I run into is that some fruits (like apples and bananas) have a lot of carbs in them. And I love my fruits and veges (Vince says that he thinks I’m turning vegetarian. No, I’m not, I just rather have more veges than meat. But I do want a bit of meat since there are some micronutrients that are more readily absorbed by the body in meats. That’s not to say that you can’t get those micronutrients in a vegetarian diet. Only that it’s harder)

Yvonne – I’m going to talk to my cats tonight. I know Cyde’s question will be “how long until the next time I get treats?”

Michele in NC
  • trucker743
    Options
    Trish in Calgary BC, You don't mention your height or weight. That makes it a little hard to estimate the appropriateness of your intake amount. I would also ask if you're getting enough water, and for me, keeping protein high and sugars lowcwas very key.

Welcome to our group, by the way. Other than a slight tendency to hold onto weight a bit longer I've noticed no change in my weight gains or losses over the years due to hormones.

Are you tracking your food and measuring portions? I thought I was very good at eyeballing and estimating, but when I bought a cheap food scale, boy! we're my eyes ever opened!

Lots of fluids - water,yes, but tea, coffee, broth all count. I avoid much juice. It's very high in calories for the nutrition you get.

Read along, comment when you like, and tell us a bit about yourself if you would.

Sharon Near Sesttle.
  • trucker743
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My cats have questions too. Little Goldie girl, who is actually the older at 7YO, wants to know why I don't let her outdoors anymore, and why I insist on shortening her claws. The fact that she hadn't been killed when two others had been is because I stopped letting her out entirely except in broad daylight. Her brother Mr Topsy, who was huge, half Maine Coon and half Manx and all tough, and the neighbor's cat, a surly SOB (unlike Mr. Topsy, who was our park ambassador) who allowed no other animals - dogs, cats, racoons or pyssums - anywhere near their house both succumbed - the neighbor's to a bobcat and Mr. Topsy to a coyote. I had actually been keeping both cats indoors, but in the daylight hours Mr. Topsy WOULD go out, or he would pee on our pillows. So out he went. No more out for you, Miss Goldie. Ever. And claw trimming? I am a nudist. No more need be said.

Ms. Androneda's questions are very different. She will be 4YO soon, and her questions show her athletic nature! "Why can't I jump high enough to catch those flies?" and "Every time I leap at the squirrel on our window ledge something goes 'Whomp!' really loud, and when the sparkles go away, he's still there! How can he do this? I want that super power!" Rommy, you are an amazing athlete. I've seen you jump 7' from a standstill. However, our ceilings are 8' at the lowest and 10' at the highest, and, well, flies fly. You can't. Launching off the ceiling fan is NOT a good idea. I've seen you considering it. Don't even try.

As for Mr. Squirrel, he has the power of an evil magician. He has a force field called Pane of Glass. If you did reach him, you would find out why the first word is Pane. "Why?" Because I said so.

Mean Mama Sharon Nesr Seattle
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    "Mean Mama Sharon" LOL Our little Ginger kitty used to sleep on the window sill by where the bird feeder was. I had the lace curtain on a two rods, one top, one bottom, so she could just curl right up in there. We'd poke her every now and then when she started to bulge out too much, good thing she was a little girl! It was so cute when the birds would wake her up tho, the little mewing noises....
    Sorry ladies, have been reading but not enough time to make comments.
    Heather, sincerely hope DH is starting to feel better. If not, maybe time for another trip to the dr?
    Pip, oh my! too much work and not enough people, does not sound like fun!
    Allie, likewise for you! Too bad this dr is being a jerk. Sounds like he would like Allison to quit. Easier for him that way as he would need to justify it if he tried to fire her.
    I miss talking to my cats, sometimes they were the better conversationalists. At least they never interrupted. Ignored yes, interrupted no. Alas, our last one left us last March. It was her time, I took her to the vet and she died in my arms. The one gift I gave her. Well, that and a warm, dry loving home for 18 years! Oh and food.
    Still no real time to respond to many of the posts that I would have liked to. I'm up way too late now! Must go shower and get some sleep!
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island where the rain is really coming down! (Hubby wants to start building a boat! lol)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Well I jinxed it ! Woke up to a very cold frosty morning, it took ages for DD to defrost her car to get to work. Leah didn't seem too bothered about the cold on her early walk though. Roll on spring.

Carers will start coming twice a day to see my dad starting on Monday, they could have started sooner, but mum said to start Monday for some reason, they will help to wash and dress him on a morning, and settle him down for bed on an evening. They will also help with his medication if mum wants them to, we'll see how it goes, but it is good to know that the support is there. The district nurse will visit every two weeks for now, unless we need her sooner.

I think my two cats would ask "why are you starving us, we don't need to be on a diet" and "where's our junk food" :/
    They manged to train me to get up during the night to feed them (they get fed upstairs otherwise Leah eats their food) they realised that if they started to fight I would (in my sleepy state of mind) feed them to keep them quiet. This became a nightly ritual. They started to look really fat though so decided to feed them better quality/more natural no additives cat food during the day so they wouldn't be hungry during the night. So far they are resisting the new eating regime and are not too keen on the good healthy stuff, but we'll keep on with it for a bit longer. I think it must be working a little because I'm not getting disturbed every night.

<3 Viv from a cold and frosty York UK