WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    Options
    Karen - Yes, it does have oats as well. :D in my opinion there is only one haggis and that is MacSweens.

Felicia - I sympathise on the coeliac. <3 My nephew and a best friend have it. Cross contamination is always a worry. Our pizza restaurant cooks it on a metal plate instead of on the oven floor. If you have anything deep fried they have to use a separate deep fry pan. My nephew has to have a separate butter dish, cupboard etc.
    My DDIL doesn't like haggis and one year I bought her a vegetarian one. It was pleasant enough, but that's not really the point. She's not coming this year. More for us!

I took a different route for my run today and ventured West where I have never been. It's a more 'working class' area with lots of cheap shops and 'caffs'. Interesting. I actually think the station is closer than Hove. I came back via the harbour and dock area. When we were looking to buy we drew a westward line at Wish Park. Our voting area is called Wish Ward. Nice! :D

DH feeling very weak. He had an unheard of nap in bed this pm.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options
    Busy day in town today. Laundry this morning (as I type this). Then docs in an hour to get results of lab work. Will post results of lab work later.

RV Rita

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Penny: Enjoy your travels with DH! :bigsmile:

Rita: Good luck on your yogurt experiment. Let us know how it goes. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Gluten free Haggis sounds amazing, but having never sampled any, I’m not sure whether the amazing is good or not so good. Do you suppose they used oatmeal rather than any grain with gluten? DH’s mother was born in Scotland and was the absolute worst cook I’ve ever encountered. She grew up in a household with a housekeeper and her mother ran an insurance company. I don’t think anyone taught her to cook. :noway: Chicken soup & broth have natural antihistamine qualities. Perhaps it will help your poor DH.:star:

Sharon: It was fun to read about your adventurous life. WTG!!! Thank you for sharing. :smiley:

(((Pip))) Sorry for stress at work. I hope all goes well for you. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Could the new dentist be under financial stress from buying the practice from the old dentist? Perhaps he is cutting costs to stay in business and support himself Just a thought. :flowerforyou:

(((RORI))) Feel better soon! :heart:

Our neighbor is in the hospital undergoing hip replacement surgery. The man is seriously overweight & that is worrisome combined with surgery and anesthetics. I hope that everything goes well and he ends up pain free and able to enjoy life.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Pie Day!

"National Pie Day was created simply to celebrate the pie. It is a day for all to bake or cook their favorite pies. Even more importantly, it is a day set aside for all to enjoy eating pies! The first pies appeared around 9500 BC in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age." As for me, I can pass up cake almost any day but put a pie in front of me and that's a different story!

Michele & Sharon - Phineas's question today, since it is a gorgeous day out, is "Why won't you open the door?" We had to take down the screen and door on our front porch when we painted the house and we haven't put them back up yet, so the boys are missing their porch time. Think I may have to find his harness and take him for a stroll in the back yard this afternoon.

Evelyn - Your kitty sounds like a cutie! I put a bird feeder just outside my window so the cats can watch birds and I can enjoy them while I'm working at my desk.

Machka - I like the alphabet challenge. What a cute idea! I look forward to hearing about all the places you go in February.

Allie & Pip - It's still amazing to me how many business owners truly don't seem to understand the concept of getting what you pay for, or value the hard-earned skills more experienced employees bring to their businesses. It's so short-sighted.

All you yogurt makers have me wanting to try it, but I still haven't. I will not buy special equipment but I have a slow cooker and several Dutch ovens that should be good options. I have a hard time using up a carton of plain yogurt before it goes bad so it would be nice to be able to make smaller batches as needed. In fact, I'm going to try it this aftenoon (assuming we still have enough milk). I'll start some overnight steel-cut oats in the refrigerator as long as I'm puttering in the kitchen.

Maybe while I'm at it I'll think about a healthy way to celebrate pie too. I could make some nice fruit or veggie empanadas.

-Yvonne in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Heather and other cold/sinus sufferers- I add hot sauce/peppers/salsa (anything spicy) to my chicken noodle soup when I am sick to clear out my head/sinuses. It does help for a while. At least it makes cold/flu bearable. KJ

Unfortunately for me spicy foods can aggravate my rosecea.

I used lavender and tea tree oil during this recent bout with the flu. I place a few drops of tea tree oil in my hands and breathe it in. The lavender I add to water and use it as a mist. I was using lavender for my face breaking out too. My face is almost totally cleared too.

I believe doing this kept my flu symptoms mild. I feel much better today. I still am a bit tired but that is all.

The advantage of essential oils is they do not become bacterial resistant like antibiotics I do think they help fight viruses too.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Pip - sorry to hear about your work. Your job is stressful enough without that going on. Are they downsizing or any indication as to why these 2 have been let go?

Allie - I hope Allison is out looking for another job. Do you know if she has had similar jobs managing dentist offices like this? My dad passed away during super cold weather and they managed to dig the grave even though the ground was frozen. Maybe only the top few inches were frozen hard and once the backhoe broke through it was easy going from then on? No one stuck around in the bitter cold to see the casket lowered into the grave, they had a little service in a tent with the military salute and flag ceremony. I just saw my sister's weather report for N. Indiana next week - high of -6 on one of the days. I guess they had a fairly mild winter up until this arctic freeze.

I probably already mentioned, I found something at the health food store (and Amazon) that does a good job, for me, of clearing sinuses. It's an herbal capsule called "Breathe Free" made by Rootology. Really helps clear me out from allergies, not sure if it does the same thing for colds and flu.

Got my SWSY workout done and am doing 5# now on my left arm with the bum shoulder. No lifting above my head but bicep curls and rows are doing well, just a few twinges. I will try going off the Celebrex again in a few days to see if I can survive without it. My BP is up a bit and it seems that's one side effect of this potent anti- inflammatory.

DH found a dead, full grown cotton tail rabbit in his wood storage lean-to this morning. No sign of bite-marks or pellet holes or anything. He tossed it under the trees under the powerline, chances are the opossums or coyote will haul it off tonight.

Have a good evening ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,137 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    ... Today I hosted bridge and had a mixture of popcorn, chocolate and pretzels for the girls to snack on while playing. I was able to resist the mixture completely. It is strange but even celery tastes sweet to me now. I had a loss of .8 this week.
    Suebdew inTX
    I’ve found the same thing. Some of the things I used to like taste really sickly to me now. Great loss!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Lanette- on top of everything her mom needed emergency gall bladder surgery early this morning and isn't doing well...my heart breaks for her..
    Extra money will come in handy
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,137 Member
    Options
    Janet in SW MO - " One of the reasons I’m looking forward to retiring (even though I’m still about 8 years away), I’ll have more time to fit everything in.”
    This made me laugh. Since I retired I’m busier than ever. 😂😂😂 The difference is, I choose everything I do. Life is too short to do anything else.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Today was an interesting exercise day. They were calling for ice so I did Bob Harper’s Ultimate Cardio Body DVD just to be sure I got some exercise in. The Newcomer board meeting was changed to Jan 30 so I went to the water aerobics class too. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Advanced Strength DVD.

Jessica has her cat on a diet. Twice a day she gets ¼ cup of food (this prescription formula for weight loss). Admitted, she did need to lose weight. But now I call her “Miss in dire need of a tummy tuck”

Rori – how you make your yogurt is for me! Easy, I can live with that

Yvonne – Large containers of yogurt go bad for me, too, by the time I can finish them. The solution I’ve found is that I buy containers in like 6oz or so. Yes, they are more expensive initially, but in the end they’re a money saver. I only buy the plain, tho. The only time I use the large container is in the summer. What I do is take a 32oz container of unflavored yogurt (I’ve found Greek to be best), a 12 oz container of OJ concentrate, thaw the concentrate but do not reconstitute it, mix the two together and pour it into ice pop molds, freeze. I can usually get about 20 pops out of one container of yogurt. I know I input it into MFP’s recipe maker and each pop comes to something (I don’t remember exactly) like 90 calories.

Lanette – sounds like you are doing real well with the weight lifting

Had ceramics tonight. I forgot to close the bedroom door to Shadow’s room, but it looks like everything’s fine. I have a feeling that when we’re away, she stays in the bedroom. She comes out when we’re out. Tomorrow I’m supposed to take my car to have a new rearview mirror installed.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Ok the bridge marathon is over and I can do other things. When I retired one of my ex-co-workers called me and ask what was the best thing about retirement besides not having to work. I told her taking a bubble bath at 4 pm if I wanted to. It is important to have a purpose and some goals in your life or you could just flit away each day.
    KJ- thank you, it is hard to work on health issues but once you DECIDE that is that is the first step. Salty foods are another area I need to work on but I think once I begin my month of researching carbs that will help me with that problem.
    Rebecca - your hubby is so funny. Cornbread looks yummy.
    Michele- you cook so many wonderful things, I don’t know how you resist them. I think I I’ll make some spaghetti sauce tomorrow.
    Battery going, stay warm and safe.
    Suebdew in TX
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I love how your husband cut the cornbread. Cracked me up.
    Good day today after some serious rain last night and early this morning. Sun came out and was a nice day to enjoy walking.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Pip - sorry to hear about your work. Your job is stressful enough without that going on. Are they downsizing or any indication as to why these 2 have been let go?

Allie - I hope Allison is out looking for another job. Do you know if she has had similar jobs managing dentist offices like this? My dad passed away during super cold weather and they managed to dig the grave even though the ground was frozen. Maybe only the top few inches were frozen hard and once the backhoe broke through it was easy going from then on? No one stuck around in the bitter cold to see the casket lowered into the grave, they had a little service in a tent with the military salute and flag ceremony. I just saw my sister's weather report for N. Indiana next week - high of -6 on one of the days. I guess they had a fairly mild winter up until this arctic freeze.

I probably already mentioned, I found something at the health food store (and Amazon) that does a good job, for me, of clearing sinuses. It's an herbal capsule called "Breathe Free" made by Rootology. Really helps clear me out from allergies, not sure if it does the same thing for colds and flu.

Got my SWSY workout done and am doing 5# now on my left arm with the bum shoulder. No lifting above my head but bicep curls and rows are doing well, just a few twinges. I will try going off the Celebrex again in a few days to see if I can survive without it. My BP is up a bit and it seems that's one side effect of this potent anti- inflammatory.

DH found a dead, full grown cotton tail rabbit in his wood storage lean-to this morning. No sign of bite-marks or pellet holes or anything. He tossed it under the trees under the powerline, chances are the opossums or coyote will haul it off tonight.

Have a good evening ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

they don't tell you why. it's really not our business to know. but one I heard is too many mistakes and other cuz of "altercation" with her supervisor.. long story
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather I looked at MacSween's website and I don't see any reference to sheep's pluck, which is the part that sounds so utterly inedible. I am confused.