WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Karen in VA – I gave Denise an IP for Christmas. Personally, I’m looking forward to making yogurt in it. What kind of thermometer do you need? A meat thermometer would be my guess. I’m sure she doesn’t have one so that’s something I’d need to bring. Is there anything else that I’d need to bring?

Michele in NC

Michele Either industrial-sized coffee filters or cheesecloth for straining the yogurt (I think Heather just pours off the whey as it gathers?), and a colander. I use a candy thermometer. I would watch an instructional video to learn how to select the proper settings as you go along, because it isn't intuitive. Other yogurt makers should feel free to chime in, I'm not the yogurt expert. There needs to be enough room in the refrigerator to set up your straining operation.

Sharon You can use any fat content yogurt, no change in instructions. Strain to your desired thickness. Add back some whey if you get it too thick. You can make it as thick as cream cheese if you strain long enough. We have experimented with milk products and straining times.

Sharon LOL! Your post on kitties gave me a chuckle.

Machka I like that alphabet idea. Creative & fun!

Allie If the new boss doesn't like your office manager in part because her salary is too high for his liking, does that mean that he likes you in part because you are being underpaid? I hope not. :#>:):/:o

(((Pip)))

Karen in Virginia

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :blush:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Karen probably so lol~ I don't know he has taken to me because I try and help wherever needed.. I asked for a raise when he got there and got no, there will be bonuses, I dont know.. Allison will not quit... she cant afford to.. but he is making her life miserable in the process and we love her so...I have a feeling if and when she goes. he will look for some young thing who he can push around and pay less, but we have a good running office and if he gets some young thing in there cheaply ,it wont work... you get what you pay for..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Karen - Barley is not gluten free, which haggis contains. My son and I both adore haggis, not so much DH. He describes it as 'filling'. :D
    I don't strain the yoghurt I use for stewed fruit and raita. It is thick enough. I do pour off any whey that gathers as I use it. In my old house I used to strain a separate batch to use as 'labneh' . Now I don't bother as I've found my favourite cottage cheese in a local health shop. I used to use a colander, and three industrial coffee filters to cover it, which I ordered from Amazon.
    I use ordinary whole milk. I just heat it up in the IP, don't bother to stir. Then I cool it to under 110 and don't worry if it gets colder. Add a good starter yoghurt, half a small pot of Yeo. I do it for ten and a half hours, but often it stays in there longer. I strain it in the kitchen at room temperature. It's never made me ill. The whole point of yoghurt is that it keeps and the good bacteria crowds out the bad. It's a way of preserving milk in historical cultures who had no access to refrigeration. If it was very hot weather I would put it in the fridge to strain, but you need a lot of room. A cool garage would work.

DH slept last night and is weak, but ambulant this morning. He was able to shower etc. Optimistic he has turned a corner. He is still fed up though.
    I am still holding it off, though a little more 'coldy'. I have done my exercises, with a few more halts than usual, so it takes me longer. Hope to run this afternoon. Then I :o must write something. I also still haven't done the last few changes of address.

Barbara - I will post a pic of my lamp when I've found a bulb/shade. It's just a very ordinary chrome, square lamp. But I like it, especially the little Bakealite switch.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    LOL Heather- had to look up Yeo. Got it!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Karen - Barley is not gluten free, which haggis contains. My son and I both adore haggis, not so much DH. He describes it as 'filling'. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather I love barley. I didn't know it was in haggis, I thought haggis was made with oatmeal for some reason. Thanks for the info!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Well no day off again going into work at 10 ,took a shower and am dressed but not for work... will have to go home change and find something to bring for lunch and snacks very hard when your not expecting it.. I'm wondering if Allie is looking for other work.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Karen VA-I was the one with the yogurt failure. I went ahead and made another batch and it turned out. My pressure cooker doesn't have the yogurt "function", so I am heating it on the stove and then pouring it in the pressure cooker pot to cool and incubate. Some one was asking about straining it- I have found that cheesecloth works best. However, I make a double batch (a full gallon of milk) and to get it as thick as I want, I have to strain it twice.

Kelly It would be trickier to heat the milk on the stove and do it the way you do. My hat is off to you.

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    B)B)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Hugs Pip!

Okie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    PIP What a loss for you and your company.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    deep breath Pip
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather I love barley. I didn't know it was in haggis, I thought haggis was made with oatmeal for some reason. Thanks for the info!

Karen: Oatmeal is not guaranteed gluten free because it can be cross-contaminated in the fields or on the equipment used to process it. That is why you will see some oats labeled "gluten free." Not because oats on their own have gluten but because of the danger of cross-contamination. So no wheat, barley, rye, or non gf oats. :disappointed:

And just no, on haggis. Just no. I have been to a Burns celebration, seen it, smelled it, watched people eat it, but not for me. :astonished: (and not just because it is not gluten free.)

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

My systems seems to be calming down. I really should go a couple days without eating (the cleanse for a colonoscopy is heaven to me. I know. Weird. But before I was diagnosed, it was the best I'd felt in a long time.) but my oldest's birthday was yesterday, so we went out for curry. So delicious. Gluten free (the one I had). And worth postponing my intestinal break. (I have Celiac, for anyone wondering why I obsess about gluten free. It's not just a fad for me.)

So cloudy and rainy here, but around 50, so I can't complain. I know many of you are really suffering because of the weather.

Blessings to everyone.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon