Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• sandymart2003
    sandymart2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Sandra from Bolton in England, back to work which involves a lot of sitting at a desk. Got to motivate myself to go out with the dog as soon as I arrive home before I put my feet up with a cuppa. Anyone with a Fitbit please add me https://www.fitbit.com/user/2FX98V
  • sandymart2003
    sandymart2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in London
    My big challenge is finding an exercise that I can do - I've had a series of bad breaks to wrists and ankles so running and cycling is out at the moment, and I don't get home from work in time for swimming - any thoughts?

The NHS website have some great low impact/sitting exercises for us older injured types
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/sitting-exercises/
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I used myfitnesspal years ago and really liked it. Now I've forgotten how to use it!
  • channingg3649
    channingg3649 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am also a grazer. The only way I found to control munchies is planning - I have NOTHING in the house that isn't on my diet. On a Sunday I sit down and I plan every meal - including 3 snacks a day and then I buy everything on the list. This way I have to really be desperate because I have to go to the shops to get something else.

I have found the following snacks helpful - they're each about 100 Kcals:
    a slice of emmental and 4 cherry tomatoes
    50g of red pepper hummous and celery sticks
    2 whole meal crackers (like ryvita) each with apples chutney and two very thin slices of ham
    popcorn is really low

hope this gives you some ideas.

Thank you for the advice. Fortunately I have little in the way of munchies at home due to having IBS and being gluten intolerant, allergic to peanuts and milk. It helps to keep the cupboards and fridge clean! I actually seem to have most troubles at work when I am tempted to stop on the way in at a convenience store, or run over on a break.

But the ideas are really good.

By the way, I saw your note above about low impact workouts due to your ankles and wrists. I swim and do water calisthenics/aerobics because of painful joints. But I just recently bought this FitDesk Under Desk Cycle and Exercise Bike Peddler with Magnetic Resistance
    by FitDesk at Amazon (the URL didn't work sorry) and use it at home when I am not wanting to go to the pool. It is very low impact, and I set the resistance to zero. It might be an option. It's nice to set in front of the TV and just go!

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!
    I'm in southern California.
    My biggest challenge this week is finding clothes in the closet that fit for work. Back today after being off about 7 wks for hip surgery, so haven't been exercising and have been at home with lots of food access. And I absolutely refuse to buy anything bigger.
  • Sparkle1098
    Sparkle1098 Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Where are you from?
    Live in the suburbs of Chicago

What is one challenge that worries you this week?
    Went running for the first time in a year and woke up the next day with major pain in my knee. Can’t workout until my knee doesn’t hurt. It’s been two days. Hopefully it will be only a couple more days. Going out and getting new gym shoes.
  • Sandi5608
    Sandi5608 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My challenge this week is that I'm travelling for work. At home I can control what food is in my house, but on the road..... I did go and find the exercise room as soon as I got to my hotel, oh, and I used it. Lol
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy Birthday @dgraf123!!!

@PartyPerson, how about yoga? I love yoga, and you go to your ability. Good luck!

I'm from the beautiful mountains of Colorado.
    I started back working 3 months ago (after stay-at-home-momming for 12 years) and I am keeping up on my steps, but I totally agree with @channingg3649 about the mindless snacking. I pack my snacks and log them. But my work stocks the kitchen with snacks! Ack! Lol. If I have something, I log it.
    My goal this week is to log every BLT (bite, lick, taste) - log everything.
  • MountainTopMom
    Options
    Sandi5608 wrote: »
    I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My challenge this week is that I'm travelling for work. At home I can control what food is in my house, but on the road..... I did go and find the exercise room as soon as I got to my hotel, oh, and I used it. Lol

Great job!!! You can do this!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    channingg3649 - great idea about the bike, I'll have a look - my physio reckons about 6-9 more months and I'll be as back to normal as I'll get (which is one reason for the diet, all of these injuries caused by falling and my own weight damaging me).
    My daughter is allergic to almost everything, I'll give her a call about snacking - I pack the snacks into my bag and take them into work with me to stop me shopping.
    Have a great day!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I lost 47 pounds 1 year ago, then in the last year gained 22 of it back. I need to lose that and the final 5 pounds.
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OK group! Checking in with you! Here is the question of the day....and my responses...

What is the hardest part of the day for you to stay healthy and why?

How do you stay on track?

After dinner til I fall asleep. Very disciplined the rest of the day. That is a hard time because I want to "relax" and let my guard down. Its easy for me to have a few drinks and snack and having well more than enough calories of an additional meal.

I try and stay exercised so I am tired. I like to listen to podcasts, read, watch some TV and stay the heck out of the liquor cabinet and pantry!
  • Sandi5608
    Sandi5608 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear you Slider! I have to remind myself to eat during the day, but if I have down time in the evening then I get in trouble. Last night was funny because I'm travelling and I had no food at all in my room. Evil little voice in my head kept trying to send me to the vending machine and no good could come of that. I resisted though, which is rare.....lol.
  • tamiluanna
    tamiluanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Had lost 100, found some of it hiding in cookies and now it's time to lose the last 80 pounds. Sounds so much easier if you say it that way.
  • channingg3649
    channingg3649 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The afternoons. I am at work and it gets boring, and I want to run out to the convenience store and buy some munchies. No one at work will hold me accountable or care, and it just tastes SO GOOD.

I haven't been able to stay on track for awhile that is why I joined this group. I was exercising for a while, but not controlling my diet. I need to have some accountability I think.
  • MountainTopMom
    Options
    Sitting at work, with a snack stocked kichen

Bring my own pre-weighed, pre-logged snacks. And if I do indulge (orange cream birthday cake today), I log it. Cant hide it from myself, or my butt. I log it.