Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Replies

• Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    KenAAdkins wrote: »
    Hello to all, I would like to be a part of this group. I have fought being big all my life. Highest weight was 320 several years ago, this morning weigh in at 285, goal weight is 220. Height 6'4". I have exercise everyday since January 1st. Please feel free to friend me, I could use the encouragement and I will encourage you also.

sounds familiar! Lets do this together!
  • Slider678
    OK....question of the day!

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle? And I'll go first.....

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle? Work lunches and dinners are an absolute drag for me. Having travelled for work the last 30 years I hate going to bars and restaurants and just dread the 3 martini dinner. I avoid them like the plague. The other is family dinners when my sweet wife prepares a nice but high calorie dinner that all the kids love. I wish I could just warm a lean cuisine but everyone would think I am the rudest person they ever met. So these are two issues I deal with!
  • t2leary
    t2leary Posts: 12 Member
    I'm in. Just started back on the journey this week. Answering the question: my husband gets in my way. He knows how I need support, so he doesn't offer me a bowl of ice cream after dinner--just eats in front of me. He likes to pack a sandwich with chips for his lunch, so those are always around. When I first tried low carb, I tried to equate my problem to a "food addiction" like others would have an alcohol addiction---I can't be around the bad stuff without wanting it. It doesn't register, so I have to muster the strength and responsibility for my choices. Glad I found this group. Maybe I'll be successful once and for all.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Slider678 wrote: »
    OK....question of the day!

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle? And I'll go first.....

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle? Work lunches and dinners are an absolute drag for me. Having travelled for work the last 30 years I hate going to bars and restaurants and just dread the 3 martini dinner. I avoid them like the plague. The other is family dinners when my sweet wife prepares a nice but high calorie dinner that all the kids love. I wish I could just warm a lean cuisine but everyone would think I am the rudest person they ever met. So these are two issues I deal with!

I understand about the work lunches. Had one yesterday and did pretty good but major drag watching everyone else eat whatever they wanted!

My first something is the fact that I do not cook. I have been single now for over 10 years and got out of the habit since cooking for one is hard and I can only eat the same thing so many times before I can't even look at it again. My dinner for years has varied between cereal, a sandwich or popcorn. Definitely need to tackle this. My second something is that I commute about an 1 hour to work each day so I have no motivation to exercise. This is a big hurdle for me that I HAVE to overcome.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Slider678 wrote: »
    I wish I could just warm a lean cuisine but everyone would think I am the rudest person they ever met.

Are you sure about that? Most of the time I don't eat the same thing I prepare for everyone else. They don't care. It's more for them - LOL. And, if they asked me - I'd just tell them I want to have more protein - or something with less calories. They understand.

My husband has cooked meals for the family, too - and I sometimes have something different. He gets it. I don't want pasta. So I'll get something else. At least we can all sit together and enjoy a meal. Doesn't have to be the same meal. (kind of like at a restaurant.)
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,353 Member

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle? my husband as well; he complains about my leaving in the ams/weekend to exercise but also complains about my wt (which makes it difficult to maintain motivation & get it done). As well, we have different food styles (he's meat & carbs and I'm trying to keep carbs down & cut way down on meat (temptation clash).

@slider678 I bet you could do that lean cuisine - but let your sweet wife know ahead. It's more about socializing with everyone, if you're also serving yourself from ?salad or ?on the table, it's not so obvious. They don't care.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Please, count me in!! I need it badly. I have risen to over 400, well, now, after a week, back to 395. Ready to do this in 2019. Please, anyone to help? I need some friends and support. Hit me up, I am moving on with this. I can also be a great listener and motivator. Name is David, by the way.
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    I am in!
    I am 54 and have lost 50 lbs in the last 2 years, most of it on MFP. Hit a plateau last year that lasted for months. Decided over the holidays to just maintain what I lost, stop stressing and relax. That is what I have been doing since Nov 4th. It has helped me mentally a lot! I feel like I am about ready to get back to it and loose the last 15 -20 lbs. I log daily and am about to hit my 2 yrs anniversary on MFP. I am in it for the long haul.
    Feel free to add me! I am always looking for active, motivating friends!
  • Slider678
    chilly1470 wrote: »
    Please, count me in!! I need it badly. I have risen to over 400, well, now, after a week, back to 395. Ready to do this in 2019. Please, anyone to help? I need some friends and support. Hit me up, I am moving on with this. I can also be a great listener and motivator. Name is David, by the way.

welcome! I am here for you!
  • Slider678
    hereslibby wrote: »
    I am in!
    I am 54 and have lost 50 lbs in the last 2 years, most of it on MFP. Hit a plateau last year that lasted for months. Decided over the holidays to just maintain what I lost, stop stressing and relax. That is what I have been doing since Nov 4th. It has helped me mentally a lot! I feel like I am about ready to get back to it and loose the last 15 -20 lbs. I log daily and am about to hit my 2 yrs anniversary on MFP. I am in it for the long haul.
    Feel free to add me! I am always looking for active, motivating friends!

Awesome....welcome!
  • hereslibby
    question of the day!

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle?

I have 2 main things: Finding time for exercise & my other half.
    Hard to fit in time to exercise. Sure I am not the only one that has that issue. It’s mostly about putting myself first in stead of last. The exercise problem leads to the next thing that gets in the way......the other half.
    I can relate with Cory17. He complains about me just going to walk. Says things like “Are you planning on coming back?” “Why do you walk in circles” (I walk around the block, it’s 1/2 a mile one loop) He has even locked the doors while I have been out walking and then says “Oh, didn’t even know you were gone”. He also brings ice cream, boxes of candy and even cakes from the bakery home! Not for us to share, but he will purchase flavors just for me. Makes me feel guilty not eating it since it was a “gift” from him. I can go on and on how he tries to sabotage my weight loss, but I won’t bore you. In the last year, it has gotten a little better because he has noticed I don’t let him get under my skin as much. Still effects me, I just don’t react to it like I use too. Hurts just as much. I have to keep reminding myself that I am doing this for me, my daughters and my grandkids.
  • Slider678
    question of the day!

I have 2 main things: Finding time for exercise & my other half.
    Hard to fit in time to exercise. Sure I am not the only one that has that issue. It’s mostly about putting myself first in stead of last. The exercise problem leads to the next thing that gets in the way......the other half.
    I can relate with Cory17. He complains about me just going to walk. Says things like “Are you planning on coming back?” “Why do you walk in circles” (I walk around the block, it’s 1/2 a mile one loop) He has even locked the doors while I have been out walking and then says “Oh, didn’t even know you were gone”. He also brings ice cream, boxes of candy and even cakes from the bakery home! Not for us to share, but he will purchase flavors just for me. Makes me feel guilty not eating it since it was a “gift” from him. I can go on and on how he tries to sabotage my weight loss, but I won’t bore you. In the last year, it has gotten a little better because he has noticed I don’t let him get under my skin as much. Still effects me, I just don’t react to it like I use too. Hurts just as much. I have to keep reminding myself that I am doing this for me, my daughters and my grandkids.

That makes me sad. Why would he do that? Is he fit? My wife is super fit and is always supportive of me. But I don't think she knows how hard its for me.
  • hereslibby
    I am not sure why he does it Slider678. No, he is not fit nor does he have any interest in loosing weight. Had a few people say he might be jealous. I have decided to do what is best for me. Getting healthy now will help me stay healthier as I get older. Finding suppprtive people on MFP has helped me stay on the right path.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member

To combine this question with the other question, what both surprised me and gets in the way of my healthy lifestyle is all the events that include food. At work, professional development meetings include breakfasts with bagels and donuts, lunch at a restaurant and celebratory happy hour after. Friends and family want to meet for lunch or dinner, etc. There is Superbowl coming up which will be just a junk food bananza. Then birthdays, Get togethers, even Easter! I feel like I am always fighting on how to stay within my calories if I go, or turning people down.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    I am not sure why he does it Slider678. No, he is not fit nor does he have any interest in loosing weight. Had a few people say he might be jealous. I have decided to do what is best for me. Getting healthy now will help me stay healthier as I get older. Finding suppprtive people on MFP has helped me stay on the right path.

I think that might be part of it. He may also feel guilty watching you get healthy because he is not, and if you stop, the guilt will go away.
    Do what is best for you, and hope that he decides to join you instead of work against you!
  • Slider678
    LynnJ9 wrote: »

To combine this question with the other question, what both surprised me and gets in the way of my healthy lifestyle is all the events that include food. At work, professional development meetings include breakfasts with bagels and donuts, lunch at a restaurant and celebratory happy hour after. Friends and family want to meet for lunch or dinner, etc. There is Superbowl coming up which will be just a junk food bananza. Then birthdays, Get togethers, even Easter! I feel like I am always fighting on how to stay within my calories if I go, or turning people down.

Yes. I completly agree! What if all those events had an active event!
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    1. From NY
    2. Biggest Challenge is weekends...managing the weekends. Finding a healthy balance on the weekends.
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    biggest challenge: the 6 week mark. I'm over fifty and overweight - this isn't my first diet! Experience tells me that I can lose lots of weight in the first few weeks, then in week 4 it all stops followed by me giving up in week 6 because nothing is happening and I'm bored.

So I've been researching, reading everything I can about the plateau so that I am ready when it hits.
  • zakfyter
    zakfyter Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2019
    Howdy all, from Oregon. My goal is to lose at least 70lbs.

My biggest hindrance is myself. I tend to self-sabotage. I’m an extreme emotional eater and 2018 was very stressful with losing my dad, my mom moving to memory care, and their house of nearly 50 years being sold all while trying to be a student and work. I’m 52 and it was just too much and I found my comfort in food...AGAIN. I’ve always had a weight issue and have dieted off/on since Jr High.

I hope to help myself and others stay on track through the hard times, what lever they maybe, so I/we don’t derail/give up.

Please feel free to add me...I’m Nancy.