Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    cory17,

I am with you on the sugar and fiber and breads. I have been able to limit my sugar to less than 50grams of sugar a day by eating only foods made from scratch and limiting my fruits. I just ordered some Psyllium husk to add to food to increase my fiber. In the evenings I've been drinking warm flavored/calorie free tea with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Sometimes I have two cups (2nd one without CO). It seems to help with the cravings or desire to eat more.

Why the coconut oil? It doesn't cause burp up later like fish oil capsules?
    Fruit is one of my issues with calories. Too much of it.
  • mypointhome
    mypointhome Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    cory17,

Why the coconut oil? It doesn't cause burp up later like fish oil capsules?
    Fruit is one of my issues with calories. Too much of it.

Yes, fruit can get you into calorie trouble. I use the coconut in my tea, (instead of coffee) to wind down in the evening. It gives me a fuller feeling than just tea and satisfies my craving.

The coconut oil does not cause burping problems for me, but the fish oil would. I eat enough salmon, tuna and talapia, that I probably don't need to take any fish oil.

"coconut oil is largely considered a natural laxative which means it helps to improve your digestion. Combining those two ingredients has a big impact on your digestive system. Boost Immune: One of the main fatty acids found in coconut oil is lauric acid, which can actually help fight germs and bacteria.May 21, 2018

Coconut Oil Coffee | FeelGoodFoodie
    https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/coconut-oil-coffee/
  • mypointhome
    mypointhome Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Better late than never...at my highest weight ever - gotta lose 80 lbs. to be there for my teens. Started logging foods again and exercise this week. Let's go!

Welcome! Just getting started is the biggest leap! You did it and you will be a great role model for your teens.
  • skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I’m feeling myself sliding back into old habits. Before it takes root I looked to join a challenge. I joined this one:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/132285-doing-it-for-me-weight-loss

I’m hoping the extra accountability keeps me moving forward and not going backward. Join if you think it looks like a fit for you!!
  • skf1201
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out sugar, cut back on breads, bump way up fiber/protein. Also trying to cut back on the quantity in the evenings. When I'm at home & not focused, control tends to go out the window.

How are you doing so far with your goals? The evenings are difficult for me. We can do this!!! Great job on setting your goals😀
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hi there 50s, I'm struggling. Nice to "meet you"

I was first on maintenance chain, then as I gained went onto 5 lbs challenge chain, but I have not been successful in losing even 1 lb a month, so I figure the 50s chain is ok regardless of level of success.

I'm 55. 5'2", 60.8 kilos this morning, 134 pounds, highest ever in 30 years. The highest I remember ever weighing is 144 lbs about 30+ years ago, when I was in early 20s binging and exercising a lot.

I maintained rather easily and rather naturally between ages 33 and 53-ish.

For the past 2 years it's been rough.

Motivation has been low, to track, etc.

And I've been having hard time managing food cravings- to a degree I hadn't felt since my early 30s.

Result: I've gained 5 kilos or so in 2 or 3 years. I track for a few weeks and then, at best, maintain or lose a pound or kilo and then go off tracking and don't care really, to a certain degree, and gain a bit more.

My metabolism has long if not always been quite slow. It runs in the family. None of us are skinny minis. I was the only slim one. (at one point I was at 105 lbs naturally, but often 115-120 which I am ok with. I don't really like to be super skinny.)

I'm not really binging like I did in my 20s and early 30s but am just overeating too often with out caring that much, till I get on the scale, or see other signs like the mirror and tight clothes.

I feel stressed or something and it seems like too much effort not to comfort some with excess of healthy food.

Also I used to be really athletic. This has definitely declined progressively over the years with age. Last summer I had a tiny foot issue that made it not-recommended to run any more. Running had definitely been my easiest go-to exercise, contributing to weight maintenance and loss. I enjoyed being outside and getting to the park.

I joined the gym and I often go 2x a week for elliptical (no impact like jogging) and/or rowing machine and weights.
    But with age I'm definitely way lazier, physically at least. I find the gym often boring and often don't want to go.

When I was a young adult I was bouncing off the walls- the idea of being cooped up or sleeping late were out of the question : I'd hike, swim, bicycle, etc.

Now I would be happy to lie in bed all day, day after day.

I often get up take a shower and then feel a bit groggy or even slightly dizzy (but no key health issue has been found) and I want to go back and laze in bed on days/times when not going to work.

Sorry if I sound a bit extreme.
    I do work and enjoy my work to a fair degree, which is both social and creative and go to the gym a couple of times a week, buy and mostly healthy food : veggies, fruit, beans, etc, went for a walk with a friend last weekend...

I have to work on a long term writing project on my own these days which probably doesn't help at all.
    and the usual myriad things that we all have to deal with.

On an up note : I love art exhibits and walking in the city or country.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    oh, no, I realise this chain is inactive!
  • slimmdown
    slimmdown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, I know it's April, but I'd love to join the group. I have about 20 pounds to reach my goal.

Belinda From Knoxville.
  • skf1201
    Options
    Hi there 50s, I'm struggling. Nice to "meet you"

I was first on maintenance chain, then as I gained went onto 5 lbs challenge chain, but I have not been successful in losing even 1 lb a month, so I figure the 50s chain is ok regardless of level of success.

I'm 55. 5'2", 60.8 kilos this morning, 134 pounds, highest ever in 30 years. The highest I remember ever weighing is 144 lbs about 30+ years ago, when I was in early 20s binging and exercising a lot.

I maintained rather easily and rather naturally between ages 33 and 53-ish.

For the past 2 years it's been rough.

Motivation has been low, to track, etc.

And I've been having hard time managing food cravings- to a degree I hadn't felt since my early 30s.

Result: I've gained 5 kilos or so in 2 or 3 years. I track for a few weeks and then, at best, maintain or lose a pound or kilo and then go off tracking and don't care really, to a certain degree, and gain a bit more.

My metabolism has long if not always been quite slow. It runs in the family. None of us are skinny minis. I was the only slim one. (at one point I was at 105 lbs naturally, but often 115-120 which I am ok with. I don't really like to be super skinny.)

I'm not really binging like I did in my 20s and early 30s but am just overeating too often with out caring that much, till I get on the scale, or see other signs like the mirror and tight clothes.

I feel stressed or something and it seems like too much effort not to comfort some with excess of healthy food.

Also I used to be really athletic. This has definitely declined progressively over the years with age. Last summer I had a tiny foot issue that made it not-recommended to run any more. Running had definitely been my easiest go-to exercise, contributing to weight maintenance and loss. I enjoyed being outside and getting to the park.

I joined the gym and I often go 2x a week for elliptical (no impact like jogging) and/or rowing machine and weights.
    But with age I'm definitely way lazier, physically at least. I find the gym often boring and often don't want to go.

When I was a young adult I was bouncing off the walls- the idea of being cooped up or sleeping late were out of the question : I'd hike, swim, bicycle, etc.

Now I would be happy to lie in bed all day, day after day.

I often get up take a shower and then feel a bit groggy or even slightly dizzy (but no key health issue has been found) and I want to go back and laze in bed on days/times when not going to work.

Sorry if I sound a bit extreme.
    I do work and enjoy my work to a fair degree, which is both social and creative and go to the gym a couple of times a week, buy and mostly healthy food : veggies, fruit, beans, etc, went for a walk with a friend last weekend...

I have to work on a long term writing project on my own these days which probably doesn't help at all.
    and the usual myriad things that we all have to deal with.

On an up note : I love art exhibits and walking in the city or country.

Welcome to the group and thank you for sharing. Feel free to add me as a friend! We’re here to encourage and support you.
  • skf1201
    Options
    slimmdown wrote: »
    Well, I know it's April, but I'd love to join the group. I have about 20 pounds to reach my goal.

Belinda From Knoxville.

Welcome Belinda!! So glad you joined this awesome group.
  • skf1201
    Options
    pn8jrz2cvap7.jpeg
  • nualacrowetafteast
    nualacrowetafteast Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do I join this group? And how has everyone done since joining in January? Good news I hope! What is possible in 3 months.
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I haven’t checked the thread in a month and wow, so many new people. Welcome everybody!
    I’ve tried to add you all, but if I missed you feel free to add me as a friend.
    I don’t post here often, but I’m active posting, tracking and sharing pretty pics of my wonderful walks at the beach and pretty parks! Hope you all have a great weekend! 😊💗
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and all the new people! This is a great place to find like- minded friends and great support! Happy Sunday!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! I had a fun one-day weekend where I spent all day doing a bunch of nagging little chores around the house that no one else will notice. But, they are done now and no longer on my very long list of things-to-do-before-house-guests-arrive at the end of May.

This will be a challenging week for me in terms of meeting my calorie goals. I will be attending a conference at the end of the week that happens to be at the beach... I can resist the boardwalk fries and that kind of stuff - but the freezy cocktails and happy hour will be an issue. Hopefully the weather will be decent and I can burn off some of the rum by walking on the beach.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    A lot of beach bars have "Skinny Girl" mixes now :)
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    skf1201 wrote: »
    I'm trying to cut out sugar, cut back on breads, bump way up fiber/protein. Also trying to cut back on the quantity in the evenings. When I'm at home & not focused, control tends to go out the window.

How are you doing so far with your goals? The evenings are difficult for me. We can do this!!! Great job on setting your goals😀

Good days, not so good days! My time at work is usually good as that is almost completely controlled by what I bring with me (unless there's a run to sprouts :# ) I have to keep busy and/or distracted at home or keep finding myself reaching in for something. And need something besides bread to eat avocado with. How are your evenings?
  • skf1201
    Options
    skf1201 wrote: »

Good days, not so good days! My time at work is usually good as that is almost completely controlled by what I bring with me (unless there's a run to sprouts :# ) I have to keep busy and/or distracted at home or keep finding myself reaching in for something. And need something besides bread to eat avocado with. How are your evenings?

I’m struggling these past several nights. I’m like you and have to be distracted at home to stay away from mindless munching. I hope this passes soon. If I try to fight it I get overly hungry for the snacks that it back fires on me and I really eat over my budget. I’m glad I’m not in a hurry to lose weight. That has taken pressure off. I’m doing this one day at a time and the day(s) I go overboard on calories I shrug it off and try again the next day. I’m not beating myself up. I am being more easy on myself.

• skf1201
    Options

You might like some of the ideas on this website. They look good.

https://cookieandkate.com/avocado-toast-recipe/