My Boyfriend thinks I'm Fat

Options

Replies

• holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Tell Your Boyfriend to pull his head out of his *kitten* so he can see better!!!!
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend thinks I am out of shape and chubby. I am 5'6" and weigh 140 pounds. At 145, he thinks I'm fat, and he can deal with it when I'm 135. Oh the things we do for love...

Is this ok? I'm not sure whether to be upset about or agree with him. Its true i'm not at my most idea weight, but I eat healthy, do yoga all the time, and do the best I can with exercise for having a job that requires me to be sitting 9 hours a day.

I used to be good with how I looked, but he really likes skinny girls and makes me feel like "I look good" is not as adequate as "I look like a sport's illustrated model."

My husband thinks I'm out of shape and chubby and I'm 5'6" and 134, and you know what, he's right, I used to be in between 115 and 120 and in great shape, which made me feel a lot better too! I think it's great he told/tells me when he thinks I''m getting fat! Rather tell me now then when I am even more overweight, now it's easier to control yet! So I guess my husband has the same attitude as yours, only difference is, I love him for it! Honesty is best according to me:)
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ..wow... i don't have words for this..
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I know no one likes hearing this - but there are lots of fish in the sea.

I cannot imagine how a person might have a healthy, happy relationship with someone who makes them feel bad about their weight. I just can't do it.

Maybe you're happy with him now, but I have a hard time believing someone who calls you fat will give you everything and make you feel everything you deserve.
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i have to say if he's making you feel bad like this now when you are bf/gf, imagine what he will say if you guys got married and you got pregnant later down the road? there are plenty of men out there. After having two kids in two years i'm still struggling to lose the baby weight i gain during my first pregnancy. my husband wants me to be healthy, he NEVER says oh your looking fat today you definitely need to lose some weight. honestly, you're the only one to blame for letting him make you feel bad about how you look. you need to seriously consider if this is how you want to live your life, because he's NOT going to change his thinking. it's probably just going to get worse.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Conversation probably went like this.

Girl: Do you think im over weight?
    BF: You got a few pounds to lose.
    Girl: You think im fat. I will go tell the world how big of a jerk you are.

If he thought you were disgusting and fat he would leave you for a smaller girl.

I wish this was how it went because it would make this much easier to deal with if I was just being overly sensitive. Also, I don't think he is a jerk and am actually surprised by how many people jumped to that conclusion. I posted because I have been struggling to make him happy with my weight for 2 1/2 years. At one point I lost 15 lbs for him and he still just kept saying things like, "you could look really good, you have the frame for it."

I am posting now because I used this website to lose the weight the first time, came back to it again because he has made so many comments lately about how I should be trying harder, and I am sad because i genuinely enjoy running, swimming, working out, but none of it is good enough. I am just getting to a low point and thought I would try to reach out for advice in a different way than I have before.
    Sounds majorly trollish. It is easy to see he has major issues...you've already brought up major baggage. He is SUPER SUPER skinny and wants you to be too. I actually can't believe you have put up with this for 2.5 years. I'm 5'6" and have been up to 230 lbs. Four kids and an over active drive to eat for pleasure have put quite the weight on me. My husband can be a jerk in many ways but he has never called me fat. I know that he is concerned about my weight and has told me that he was worried about my health. I hope you don't plan to have a baby with him. Those 30 lbs you gain may cause him to not touch you for 10-16 months as you get 'fat' and then have the baby and get back in to shape. I wonder how many comments he'll make during that year and a half of your life or more if you have more than one. If you plan to stay with him then plan to bow to his every command to get thin and skinny and when you get super skinny be prepared for something else that he has for you to work on. Maybe your arms will be to saggy or you can't see a six pack. Things you should think on.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    At one point I lost 15 lbs for him and he still just kept saying things like, "you could look really good, you have the frame for it."

If he's with you for your weight or your potential weight, he's with you for the wrong reasons, and you're with him for the wrong reasons.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think I need to try this again...I love my boyfriend and have no intention of leaving him. He has a weakness when it comes to weight, but it most other ways he is a wonderful and supportive man.

I am really open to advice on how to productively move past this. I don't want to continue to feel this way, and so far nothing I have tried has made him realize just how big an effect he is having on my body image. Please, if you have any (productive) ideas for how to approach this and help it hit home with him or at least how to make me less sensitive to it, let me know.

If you have no intention of leaving him, here are a few tips.

1) If YOU want to lose weight for YOU then go for it. Do NOT lose weight for anyone else, because even the motivation of the hurtful thing he said won't last nearly as long as it will if you are motivated within yourself to lose the weight. If you think you're a good weight - tell him.
    2) Show him healthy bmi charts online and make him SEE that you are in the healthy range.
    3) Tell him you will not change yourself for him. That he needs to love, respect and accept you as you are. That if you are going to change, you're going to do it for yourself.
    4) Failing all that, reconsider your ideal of not leaving him :tongue:
    Here is your really awesome advice.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is a classic technique for an insecure jerk to make a vulnerable person think they are lucky to have the jerk. It was always my cue to dump someone. Ironically, I heard this stuff mostly when I was young, slim and hot looking. Now that I'm older and fatter all I hear is sweet stuff from my sweetie who is happy I am taking care of my health. The Canadian group, Sparks had a song about how to get a supermodel to fawn on you..basically by finding her nonexistent faults.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling to make him happy with my weight for 2 1/2 years. At one point I lost 15 lbs for him and he still just kept saying things like, "you could look really good, you have the frame for it."

That is just sick. I'm sorry but he shouldn't be saying crap like that and your willingness to let his comments get to you while still trying to achieve HIS ideal of what you should look like is just messed up on so many levels. This is how abusive relationships start.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    put his *kitten* to the curb.
  • cynthia7h
    Options
    Hi there, I just want you to know that I have been struggling to drop weight to what my bf thinks is good for me. I started at 170 when we met, and went all the way to 135. At 5'9, that made me WAY too sickly looking. I am now maintaining between 145-155 with a great deal of muscle and energy and he still calls me fat. DO NOT let a man tell you anything other then how beautiful you look. Walk, or better yet RUN away from the negativity and remember you deserve better then his insecurities and attempts to hold you back and down. Head high and smile. Get out of his grasp.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think my husband is old. I mean, he's 45.

lol... 45 is old? wow.

I'm 41. I married him when he was a hot 31 year old.

LOL....hate to tell ya, then you're old too.

Are you kidding? I'm four years YOUNGER than him.

Also, my kids are three and one, so they're not old enough yet to tell me how out-of-it I am. I have at least three more years of grace.

So you honestly think that because you are a measly 4 years younger then him, that he is old yet you are not?
    My husband is 46. I am 39. My husband is far from old. If you feel your husband is old at 45, I hate to say it, you need to add yourself to that bracket as well.

I'm pretty sure she's joking. It's called sarcasm.

Yeah, but to get the full value of the sarcasm, let's review my truly hilarious opening statement. Remember that this is in response to "My boyfriend thinks I'm fat because I'm 5' 4" and 140 pounds:"

"I think my husband is old. I mean, he's 45. He could work out more. And load the dishwasher.

But, seriously? The issue is what *you* think. If *you* think you're unfit and you want to do something about it, then more power to you. Him thinking you're fat is HIS problem that HE needs to resolve. And he needs to do it without hurt you too."

Also, let me point out that *I* don't have ear hair.
  • EllaQT
    EllaQT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saw an episode of Dr. Phil last week where women were being told by their husbands they were "fat" and ugly. Two refused to have sex with their wives until they lost weight. Dr. Phil said the men were abusers and controllers and had issues of their own to want to abuse a woman in this manner.. The wives were depressed with low self-esteem. He emphasized this was not love and the women did not feel loved. Get rid of this man who wants to control your mind and what you think of yourself.

My husband and I have been married 38 years and he is satisfied with my weight and gray hair! Likewise, I love him and his belly doesn't bother me except I encourage him to lose for his health. I help him by cooking the foods he should eat to lose weight.

This situation will not get any better if you allow him to speak to you in this manner and he learns that it bothers you.
  • starcrost79
    Options
    Sounds like you have a couple hundred pounds of excess baggage you can drop right now, and be much better off for it. Kick him to the curb. Never, ever allow someone else to dictate your body image for you. Especially if that someone is in the running to be with you in the long term.

140 pounds is too fat? I'm 5'6 as well, and my goal weight is 145. $#%@ him. You're perfect. :o)
  • zam1955
    zam1955 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are in a toxic relationship and should get out now.
    He is trying to control you and make you feel less of yourself because of his insecurities.
    Don't let him put you down that way, you deserve a man that will honor and respect for the beautiful woman that you are.
    You are at a good weight see the weight chart below.
    5'6" small frame 120-133, medium frame 130-144, large frame 140-159
    May God Bless you to make the right decision.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I had an ex like that. It started with just little laughter sessions where he'd poke me and laugh at the tiny jiggle. Then it went to not so funny sessions and finally it went to me having to eat only what he deemed fit for me to eat. I weighed about 10 lbs less than I do now and I was wearing size 10 versus the 12-13 I'm in now. His treatment and belittlement of me had me thinking he was right until I realized he wasn't and dumped his *kitten*.

Consider doing the same. The man you're with should think you're the most gorgeous woman on this planet and treat you like the goddess you are. Don't let him dictate how you feel about yourself.
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Learn from those that have gone before you! He's not the one!

I was early twenties, 145 lbs, 5'7". He made me feel I was fat. I starved myself on a canned diet powder for weeks to get to 135. It was wrong and not worth it. I couldn't maintain that low weight. He wasn't the one though it would be a bit longer before I realized it.

If he loved you truly this wouldn't even be an issue. Say bye, bye. It's hard, you will suffer but it will be ok in the end.

You are not fat! And I later learned what fat is, haha.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow. :noway:
    The things people accept from others.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes the guy is a jerk, but why tell him your weight in the first place. Does he make you weigh in every day? On a similar note to all women: Don't ask a man if something you are wearing makes you look fat it you aren't prepared for the truth. If you want a lie then you shouldn't ask.

My boyfriend is one of my favorite shopping people - he is flat out honest with me because he knows what areas I HATE on me, and he will tell me when my tummy rubs the front of my shirt a little too much, etc.....

OP - if 5 pounds that means so much to him, maybe he needs to seek counseling..........