Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

why do people think you can be healthy at every size?

Options

Replies

• susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    And harder to lose the weight afterwards!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    that can’t really be true if you’re fat/obese/underweight bc being bc if you were healthy you wouldn’t get fat

I think the issue here in terms of people seeing eye to eye is that "healthy" is subjective, it isn't some objectively defined thing. Depends what you mean by "healthy".

If by "healthy" you mean only doing things that are conducive to optimal health then I suppose you are correct in what you say, but then again if your definition is that strict I don't think that anyone would qualify as being truly "healthy".

If by "healthy" you mean that at the current time your body is in a condition that gives you the most statistical chance of future health then that would mean that people who were obese would not be healthy as being obese comes with statistical health risks.

If by "healthy" you simply mean that right now, in this moment, you aren't physically sick or suffering from any specific ailment then an obese chain-smoker could be considered to be healthy as long as at that moment they weren't having any medical issues.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The idea that health is really what matters comes in when the activity is seen as not self-punishing enough, perhaps, or indulgence, not toughness.

Get by on 4 hours of sleep regularly, have a stressful job, pull all-nighters, pound out the last 10 miles of a marathon on an injured knee -- toughness. (I used to do all these but the last regularly, and mostly got praise or admiration for it, and even now I have trouble not seeing a virtue in sacrificing self care for such things, not sacrificing sleep first and feeling proud that I don't need to sleep that much, in my mind -- that's kind of messed up, actually.)

No wonder so many people want weight loss to be in that vein too -- eat 900 cal a day, fast for a week, never eat [insert foods you might enjoy here]. Not really consistent with a focus on health as the goal, though.

That aside, I would personally agree that in my own case not losing weight for a period of time was in part that I was confused about what to do and thought it would be harder than it was, feared failure and pity (I felt better pretending to be cool with being fat than letting others know I'd tried to lose and failed or that it bothered me -- I didn't tell anyone when I did decide to lose and tried to hide the fact I was dieting even), and because I did not care as much about it as the other things I was prioritizing (when all your stress and will power is used up on other things it's hard to add more things). I just don't think it's some terrible sin or anyone else's business that I had a period of time between when I decided I was unhappy with my weight and when I decided to lose.

To go back to the actual topic of the thread (which was not "expressing moral superiority over fat people or people who used to be fat"), I was lucky in that I was not heavy when younger and did not have a history of bad and counterproductive efforts at dieting and feeling shame and self-hatred connected with that. As a result, it was not super charged for me to decide to try to lose, although even I expected it likely would not work and so framed it for myself as eating heathfully and getting as fit as possible.

If someone finds a focus on weight loss something that tends to make them less likely to make efforts to be healthier and finds it much easier to focus on other good things (like eating well, exercising more, adding in more vegetables and lean protein and reducing high cal/low nutrient options), why complain that they aren't framing it about weight loss?

Because lifestyle changes only improve your health if you pair it with public self-abasement for having been fat.

If you feel happy about yourself while you do it, the changes won't work.
    Fact.

Ben Shapiro has assured us multiple times that facts don't care about feelings.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    It's especially hard to lose the weight when you're working with diet plans from organisations like Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Atkins and so on that don't teach you anything about calories but offer instead a specific way of eating that has, for most people, the side effect of reducing calories.

I say 'for most people' because I, for one, am capable of overeating on carrots. Because I like carrots. I also like meat. And salad. And nuts. And when I felt ravenous (which was anytime I was bored) I would cheerily binge on whatever free foods that particular diet plan offered in the comfortable certainty that doing so wouldn't affect my weight loss. Because the 'experts' said those foods didn't count, right?

Weight Watchers may not have counted it, but my body sure as heck did. Result: even more overweight despite following each plan to the letter. Result: hopelessness, despair, giving up, eating pizza and cake because what the heck, might as well, it wasn't like eating what I was 'supposed' to worked any better.

Carrots and hummus! I could eat a whole bag and container if I weren't tracking. So delicious, and healthy, but so easy to overdo.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    that can’t really be true if you’re fat/obese/underweight bc being bc if you were healthy you wouldn’t get fat

@trulyhealy yes today we know typically a health failure proceeds obesity. Underweight to a point may not be unhealthy but we know on average being obese cuts life expectancy by 7 years and morbid obesity by 14 years.

Do we know that? What data is showing us that?
  • run2live75
    run2live75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure a person who fit perfectly into the " healthy" category can be sick and unhealthy, ie blood pressure, other heart related issues, anything... Just because you are "skinny" doesn't mean you are healthy... There are many factors that play into health.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

@trulyhealy yes today we know typically a health failure proceeds obesity. Underweight to a point may not be unhealthy but we know on average being obese cuts life expectancy by 7 years and morbid obesity by 14 years.

Do we know that? What data is showing us that?

Same thing came to my mind. Also, what about all the health failures that are a result of obesity? High blood pressure, joint problems, T2D and insulin resistance, cardiac issues. To me, the idea that a health failure proceeds obesity is mostly nonsensical in most cases.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether by 'proceeds' GaleHawkins actually meant 'proceeds from' rather than the 'precedes' that we're assuming?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I wonder whether by 'proceeds' GaleHawkins actually meant 'proceeds from' rather than the 'precedes' that we're assuming?

Ah, that makes more sense. Thank you!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think you can be healthy at a lot of different sizes. My co-worker works out 5 times a week at Orange Theory, rides her bike to work in good weather, is very active, eats well - says her BP and all tests come back fine....yet if you look at her - you'd think she needed to lose 35-45+#. She is solid and in great physical shape (and who knows what she really weighs since she is solid muscle...but I just think genetically she will never be a 110# at 5' tall or a skinny little girl. I would never ask her what she weighs....but guessing she looks to be about 160ish. I know at my worst I was 160 and 5' tall - but I couldn't do anything....barely get up the stairs here at the office. Sometimes you can't fight your body type.