March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Soo... in the mail yesterday came a summons for Grand Jury duty. I am required to appear in person on April 15...the day of the Boston marathon. Seriously? Does anyone know if this would be a legitimate personal emergency to be excused? Somehow I am thinking that they will not buy it. I have been summoned for general jury duty before but I only had to call in and was excused. Any advice?

Over here, it’s traditionally said that if you turn up in a suit and bowler hat, with a copy of the Telegraph newspaper (insert suitable conservative newspaper) under your arm, you’ll immediately get dismissed from a jury.

I can’t give advice. We don’t have the whole Grand Jury thing here (the selection of whether something goes to trial is done by the Crown Prosecution Service). And when I got called for jury service, you could defer once for a holiday, but only once.

In theory they were supposed to ask us if serving longer than the two weeks would be a problem. They didn’t, even though it was blindingly obvious (they’d had all kinds of legal issues even before getting to court) that it would last longer. A really interesting experience. Like watching a TV soap opera and all the lawyers were trying to do the performance of their lives.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @lporter229 it may be different for your case but when my daughter was summoned for jury duty there was an option to defer for up to 6 months.

There is not an option to defer, but there is a form that I need to complete that has a section to request to be excused for personal emergency that may be granted by the judge. I just hope that the judge gets it. If not, I guess I will need to show up at the clerk of courts and throw a fit.

Can you call down there? That was what I did when jury duty overlapped with a trip I had planned. They were okay with rescheduling me. Of course I was living in a very small county at the time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have another journal @Elise4270 but I’ve mostly been recording my health issues, how I’m doing mentally and roughly what I’ve eaten/drunk. As there’s not a lot of room for anything else, having a dedicated journal for fitness and running is just perfect.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,095 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I hope your dad's surgery goes well. Sounds like that would be a painful injury. Prayers for you as you help take care of your parents also. It can be a hard row to hoe.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Fast forward to today, and I get a package (well two, but the other one I ordered for myself and just had some massage balls in. Fun, but no cigar).

This was in the package
    ac5idtoo4adh.jpeg

All I saw through my smiling eyes was just the one word on the cover. So thank you Fairy Godmother Mary Poppins for believing in me to believe in myself. You really are the kindest person in the world. :)

Hey that is awesome!