March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @lporter229 Hope you can get out ( defer) your Jury Duty. Obviously this is a pre-planned/pre paid Family Vacation ;);) that you can't cancel without great Financial burden.
    Therefore you would not be able to concentrate properly to be an effective Jurist.
    or show up in very ratty "Garden Clothes" that are dirty and mature.

I will never sit Jury Duty since I directly work/support law enforcement so would always be considered a potential witness or biased to the prosecution, no prosecuter would want me on a jury as it could create a potential mistrial to be declared.
    Here's a couple of them
    23mg9mhgq7sw.jpg

@katharmonic Great Photo's but it's not fair - the pail's in our OCR/Spartan (or what ever you wish to call it) had no lids and no handles so it was a challenge to carry with out some gloves. If you spilled/dropped the pail it was Bur-pee time or grab another pail and try again.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    So I've been struck down with a head cold... Do I a) run it off or b) Rest and try to get rid of it sooner? I'm more in camp a at the moment...

@Sparx_81 the conventional wisdom is that if you're sick from the neck up, go ahead and run. Below that, rest.
    @7lenny7 I am confused every single time I hear that advice. Usually for me a cold involves a sore throat. Is that above or below the neck? :D
    Sometimes I like running despite a cold, if it clears my nose. Other times I already need to sit down on the stairs leading from my sixth-floor-apartment outside to take a break before I even start running. In those cases once I reach the ground floor I usually decide I'm better off getting in the elevator to ride back up instead of going outside and starting to run.
    --

I am simple minded I guess. If I can run and not feel worse, I do. Often I feel better. :)

Well I woke up today with chills to go with the runny nose so I didn't run! Figured I need to conserve the energy to deal with kids! The joys of being a stay at home parent, no time off when you're ill!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Wonder of wonders the Apple support guy got my iPad backup to work, so I got my photos and stuff back! It has been a stressful couple of days, though. And computer problems are not over - mom’s router got struck by lightning so I need to get out to her place and install the replacement.

This would be a very good time to BACK THOSE PICTURES UP. You can use iCloud, Dropbox, or another respectable online service for it. Just do it. And do it TODAY. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Here's a thought on the pushups: I currently do 3 sets of 72 pushups every day. But I didn't set out to do this any more than I set out to run marathons. I built up to it gradually, starting from 20 pushups with my shins resting on a Swiss ball at at time when I had a foot injury and couldn't run or support myself in the normal pushup position. Even that was building on residual strength from when I was a weight lifter; in high school I could do no more than 10 pushups on my best day.

How about if, instead of doing 30 pushups, waiting a week, doing 25 pushups, etc., you just pick some time of day that works for your schedule and do 5 pushups? Then after a week of doing 5, start doing 6. It's like building up to long runs; you don't start from being someone who walks 5 miles but doesn't run and go immediately to running a 5K. You build up to it, in increments that don't set you back physically or mentally.

When I was training to become a black belt, I used to be able to 100. It was required for the test actually. I had to do 100 in 2 minutes.

Today, I could do 10-20 with ease. 40-50 is probably my push too hard and get hurt level right now. My problem is the mental block of actually wanting to do it. I need to do something upper body, and push-ups are where I was hoping to start.

It like knowing you should eat veggies, but grabbing for potato chips anyways. :)

I did 4 sets of 10 after reading your post cause it reminded me. Normally I do 1 set to near failure. My hope is 3 days a week, 30ish pushups until it becomes a habit. The might get one of them pull-up bar things.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @katharmonic Great Photo's but it's not fair - the pail's in our OCR/Spartan (or what ever you wish to call it) had no lids and no handles so it was a challenge to carry with out some gloves. If you spilled/dropped the pail it was Bur-pee time or grab another pail and try again.

@juliet3455 That would definitely be harder! I was expecting to have to fill the bucket with rocks and then carry it but they were pre-filled with the lids on. I think the winter spartan is a bit different because all the videos I saw definitely involved scooping up rocks and I don't think there were lids. On the sandbag carry, one guy's sandbag totally leaked out a ton of sand and he had to get another and start over. He seemed pretty annoyed.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift sounds like you took all the right precautions.
    Knees >:):s>:):'(>:)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    So... Sunday I didn't run cause of birthdays. I ran Monday instead, because the forecast called for 3+ inches of snow that night/the next morning. This morning, I planned to run my normal Tuesday morning run. I woke up to 2-3" of fresh snow... :confused: We had clear roads before this! :cry:

Channeling @7lenny7 we geared up and headed out for what should have been a very easy run. 40 minutes and 2.78 miles later, I was pooped. Even my girl was tired when we got home. Got it done though!
    My pups: ~9 year old Jackson on the left and ~3 year old Kira on the right.
    rnbz0beurr15.jpg

A lovely morning for a run. I stopped to take this picture, so the dogs were off to the side.
    68pnssvypgrk.jpg

The forecast calls for mid-50's F by the weekend. Weird winter.

It is a weird season. looks like a nice run :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Question for the group - What is the difference between Strides and Sprints?